Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

A Train didn't even murder Robin it really was an accident she just as easily could have been hit by a bus or something, if anybody "radicalized" Hughie it was Butcher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

GD_American posted:

Hunh?

Where is this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nemesis_(Icon_Comics)

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Note that one of the science talks gave us a high mortality rate for those taking the drug at adulthood. And Homelander mentioned they had enough survivors...etc.

I think "Everybody Hurts" should now play every time a celebrity gets busted. So good.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Did they same Supes have the same names in the comics? (Homelander, The Deep etc.)

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Yes.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Lmao people will twist things any way they can just so they can criticise a show for not being woke enough. It must make them feel so smug.

Sleeveless posted:

So they actually went out of their way to make the only black character be a murderous drug addict who radicalizes a white guy into becoming a terrorist by killing his girlfriend. OK when you put it like that it's actually super cool and woke that A-Train is black.

If A-Train was played by a white actor how many people would complain how unrealistic that was considering most of the top athletes, especially when it comes to Athletics in America are black? Having him being played by a black guy makes a lot of sense if you're updating the comic. Or should the writers be scared of making him black because he also happens to be a bad guy in the comics so they should play it safe and cast a white actor because it's easy to avoid criticism when you make white characters the bad guys on tv shows? All the villains are white except for him and he's probably the most sympathetic of the lot.

Also you say you want Frenchy to not be white. The good guys are a crew of how many? 5? Butcher, Hugh, Frenchy, Mother's Milk and Kimiko. 2 of the 5 are people of color, do we now in media have to always have an exact 50/50 split between poc and white people?

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
does it complicate this discussion any if I point out Frenchie is played by an Israeli actor

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lunatic Sledge posted:

does it complicate this discussion any if I point out Frenchie is played by an Israeli actor

And he doesn't speak french.... pitchforks here... get them while they're hot.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Frenchie mentioning he was from Marseille made me think he was supposed to be of North African heritage.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Chairman Capone posted:

Frenchie mentioning he was from Marseille made me think he was supposed to be of North African heritage.

The beautiful thing about France is nobody looks french

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Frenchie’s celebrity likeness in the comics was Jean Reno, a Moroccan born from a Spanish family.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Yeah I assumed Frenchie with the Marseille connection was supposed to be of North African heritage too.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Hub Cat posted:

A Train didn't even murder Robin it really was an accident she just as easily could have been hit by a bus or something, if anybody "radicalized" Hughie it was Butcher.

A bus travelling down the sidewalk? I'm not a lawyer but you can definitely argue murder in the second.

Zwabu posted:

Did they same Supes have the same names in the comics? (Homelander, The Deep etc.)

Yes but some things were changed.

A-Train wasn't the Seven speedster originally, he's a replacement kinda like Starlight and was in this group called Teenage Kix which plays a major role.

Also The Boys and The Seven know way more about each other in the comics.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

A bus travelling down the sidewalk? I'm not a lawyer but you can definitely argue murder in the second.

She was standing a step onto the road. She was definitely off the sidewalk. Hughie even admits that later on.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Just Chamber posted:

Lmao people will twist things any way they can just so they can criticise a show for not being woke enough. It must make them feel so smug.

If A-Train was played by a white actor how many people would complain how unrealistic that was considering most of the top athletes, especially when it comes to Athletics in America are black? Having him being played by a black guy makes a lot of sense if you're updating the comic. Or should the writers be scared of making him black because he also happens to be a bad guy in the comics so they should play it safe and cast a white actor because it's easy to avoid criticism when you make white characters the bad guys on tv shows? All the villains are white except for him and he's probably the most sympathetic of the lot.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Pfft. Everyone knows the black heroes get the lightning and thunder powers. :rolleyes:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Frenchie’s celebrity likeness in the comics was Jean Reno, a Moroccan born from a Spanish family.

No, it wasn't. There's also a number of hints in the comic that the Frenchman isn't really French. I'm glad they've gone with the more serious and sane Frenchie who peeks through now and again in his relationship with the Female.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Jedit posted:

No, it wasn't. There's also a number of hints in the comic that the Frenchman isn't really French. I'm glad they've gone with the more serious and sane Frenchie who peeks through now and again in his relationship with the Female.

Uh, Frenchie looks as much like young Jean Reno in the comics as Hughie looks like young Simon Pegg

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I thought A-Train was a pretty perfect portrayal of someone who's not a narcissist, but is extremely self-centered. See: blaming others for things he knows (and even admits) is really his fault. Hell of a lot more interesting than failed rapist in the comics.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Also jesus christ that summary pretty much kills any chance of ever wanting to ever read that guy again. What dreck

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

GD_American posted:

Also jesus christ that summary pretty much kills any chance of ever wanting to ever read that guy again. What dreck

Sometimes you still gotta go to work with a hangover.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

These sure are a lot of hot takes.

-Kamiko is mute(implied to be because of the hosed up compound V experimentation), but she's not a kung fu master. She fights more like a feral animal. She isn't also instantly demure and submissive to "the white guy

That's like "Quiet can't breathe with clothes on" level of post hoc justification. The Kimiko character sucks and 100% leans into the demure Asian woman must be saved from Asian men trope. Its like a dumber version of the Transporter. Hell, even her back story makes no sense. She's a Japanese(?) girl kidnapped by a Shining Path knockoff to becine a child soldier and trafficked by a multi country coyote? That's almost as dumb as Taken's "White American girls are being kidnapped for sex slavery" idea.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

GD_American posted:

If you can't turn off a small part of your brain and enjoy the pure unadulterated pulp that is Sin City then im sorry your brain is broken. I think it's beautifully drawn and all the stories stuck with me for years after I read them and i still think he does better noir than modern comics nerds wanna give him credit for.

He is a trash man with garbage opinions about basically everything, but I love and respect Sin City

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Rocksicles posted:

And he doesn't speak french.... pitchforks here... get them while they're hot.

I've always thought the odds of Comics Frenchie actually being French (or even ever having been to France) were lower than 50%. His French is more often than not gramatically incorrect. I never made the connection between him and Jean Reno, but yeah it's pretty obvious now you mention it.

Frenchie was a weird character.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Jedit posted:

Frenchie is American. More American than you, you racist piz of sheet.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Thundercracker posted:

That's like "Quiet can't breathe with clothes on" level of post hoc justification. The Kimiko character sucks and 100% leans into the demure Asian woman must be saved from Asian men trope. Its like a dumber version of the Transporter. Hell, even her back story makes no sense. She's a Japanese(?) girl kidnapped by a Shining Path knockoff to becine a child soldier and trafficked by a multi country coyote? That's almost as dumb as Taken's "White American girls are being kidnapped for sex slavery" idea.

I don't think they really "saved" her from the gang, moreso than "Accidentally released" her and then were lucky she didn't kill them all. The guy plugging himself before she could do horrible things to him was a clear sign of that.

Frenchie was probably the one dude besides her brother who showed her kindness. She still tried to kill him a few times. If anything, I'd say she's somewhat loyal, but demure? I can't agree with that after she ripped out a guys intestines before cracking his head open like a coconut.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The only part Taken got wrong is that white american women are only getting taken from poor neighborhoods in Atlanta and Miami, not in Europe

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

Bust Rodd posted:

If you can't turn off a small part of your brain and enjoy the pure unadulterated pulp that is Sin City then im sorry your brain is broken. I think it's beautifully drawn and all the stories stuck with me for years after I read them and i still think he does better noir than modern comics nerds wanna give him credit for.

He is a trash man with garbage opinions about basically everything, but I love and respect Sin City

Frank Miller and Mark Millar are different people.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Thundercracker posted:

That's almost as dumb as Taken's "White American girls are being kidnapped for sex slavery" idea.
Have you read the news this month?

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Aug 13, 2019

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Frank Miller and Mark Millar are different people.

Wow ok I am mega mega mega mega dumb

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bust Rodd posted:

The only part Taken got wrong is that white american women are only getting taken from poor neighborhoods in Atlanta and Miami, not in Europe

Who the gently caress wants to film in Atlanta or Miami?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Miami is a sub-aquatic shithole but Atlanta is basically the East Coast LA at this point in terms of movies, TV and cartoons being made there.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Bust Rodd posted:

Wow ok I am mega mega mega mega dumb
It's an easy mistake, because they've both written some really edgelordy poo poo. Generally, if it's quasi-fascist and has a really repulsive Madonna/Whore Complex, it's Frank. If it's over the top with the rape and incest, it's Mark.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Pfft. Everyone knows the black heroes get the lightning and thunder powers. :rolleyes:

I'm sure that's :thejoke: you were making, but drat if Volt wasn't self aware.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Halloween Jack posted:

Have you read the news this month?

Epstein trafficked his white underaged girls from East Europe, just like Donald Trump did for his pageants and wives. No one trafficks upper middle class American girls on back packing trips.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Thundercracker posted:

Epstein trafficked his white underaged girls from East Europe, just like Donald Trump did for his pageants and wives. No one trafficks upper middle class American girls on back packing trips.

He had middle school girls plucked practically right out of class in New York City as well.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Right but what he meant is that A-Train didn't go out that day looking to splatter someone on the sidewalk.

He's responsible yes and he doesn't care much that he did it, but it was a genuine accident.

Thundercracker posted:

Demure?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Aphrodite posted:

He's responsible yes and he doesn't care much that he did it, but it was a genuine accident.
Look guys, Bob didn't mean to do six lines of coke and plow his truck into the toddler but it was a genuine accident

Othin
Nov 20, 2002

Hair Elf
But for real what was up with the fly? It randomly showed up in the scenes of like four or five episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Othin posted:

But for real what was up with the fly? It randomly showed up in the scenes of like four or five episodes.

superheros are stinkey