Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Has the building always been apartments or was it a factory of some sort at some point? Around me, renovating old warehouses/factories into apartments and leaving bits and pieces of the original structure in place for flavor is a big thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Could they be hanging something on the floor below?

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

kid sinister posted:

Tapcons, use the bit that comes with them. I want to say the small size uses a 5/32" bit? Use appropriate length screws so that you're reaching the required 1" minimum into the concrete itself.

I got the 3/16” Tapcons, 2 1/4” length. I used the supplied bit, and it really feels like it’s barely attached to anything. Like I used three screws in a bracket, and it moves if I pull on it. So I need the 3 1/2” screws? I could feel the bit going through the concrete so I didn’t miss it behind the drywall

edit: here's a photo of the wall in question. I'm mounting the brackets inside the window, on the sides. https://imgur.com/a/mye4GIw

Omne fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Aug 13, 2019

Curiosity
Sep 12, 2012

Quick question... if I turn off my window unit ac does it close off airflow from outside?

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Slugworth posted:

Has the building always been apartments or was it a factory of some sort at some point? Around me, renovating old warehouses/factories into apartments and leaving bits and pieces of the original structure in place for flavor is a big thing.

It's always been residential, but I don't know if the top floor was always finished or not. It's possible they're remnants from it being an attic maybe.

Wasabi the J posted:

Could they be hanging something on the floor below?

That's a good point I hadn't thought of. I might ask my downstairs neighbor if they match up to something in their apartment (track lighting? cabinets? ). It would probably be obvious if I knew how deep the screws/bolts went.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Curiosity posted:

Quick question... if I turn off my window unit ac does it close off airflow from outside?
It doesn’t bring in air from the outside anyway. It takes the air from inside and removes some heat from it and dumps that heat outside and shoots the cooler air back into the room because it is much more efficient to chill 72 degree air to 70 degrees than it is to try and chill 90 degree air to 70 degrees.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

As someone who’s dog was sprayed recently, direct skunk smell is nothing like what you smell driving in the country or whatever. It is the harshest smelling thing I’ve ever dealt with and it lingered for about a month after in a few parts of the house. It managed to make its way from the backyard into my bedroom with the windows closed.

Curiosity
Sep 12, 2012

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

It doesn’t bring in air from the outside anyway. It takes the air from inside and removes some heat from it and dumps that heat outside and shoots the cooler air back into the room because it is much more efficient to chill 72 degree air to 70 degrees than it is to try and chill 90 degree air to 70 degrees.

Ah yes the entire intake vent that isn't blowing at me, right. Thank you!!

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Discospawn posted:

I've been living in the top floor of a historic Los Angeles apartment building for several years now, but there's a feature I've never discovered the purpose of. Along the outward-facing wall and part of a connecting wall, there are these strips of metal screwed or bolted to the wood floor.

Some Pics:
The corner of the 2 walls with these strips

The end of the border strip along the interior wall

Overhead view with foot for scale

Close-up view showing wood sanded down around metal after a century of re-finishes

I had always assumed that this was some kind of attachment to the steel frame of the building, but now that I'm thinking of re-finishing my floors, I can't actually find anything online to confirm that theory. More details:
-The building was constructed in the mid 1920's, and there have not been many changes or modifications over the years. The wood so heavily sanded down around it makes me think it's original, this building's poor maintenance by the property owner means this could also be some kind of cheap & dirty repair of some kind.
-The metal is covered in the same stain & varnish as the hardwood floor. Trying to scrape off the varnish makes it looks like the unfinished metal is actually a brass-ish color.
-The metal strips don't seem to go through the wall, but stop flush with it. Similarly, they seem to go over the wood floor, like the wood strips continue un-cut underneath.
-I don't know whether they are screws or bolts used to attach it, and I'm wary of removing any of them (plus the heads are stripped and filled with varnish, which would make that a chore).

Any insight helps, thanks.

Are you sure they just aren't from earthquake rehab?
A lot of the older buildings had to be retro fitted after the last big one out there.
Adam Corolla talks about it a lot on his various podcasts.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Thumposaurus posted:

A lot of the older buildings had to be retro fitted after the last big one out there.

That was my guess before scrolling and reading your post. Two thoughts makes a right I believe.

But actually I did google for 30 seconds and if you click this https://howlingpixel.com/i-en/Seismic_retrofit and scroll to the Techniques section you'll see an old timey earthquake bolt that is obviously different but at the same time looks similar and in the same vein as OPs metal things on the floor.

My vote is earthquake things.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Thumposaurus posted:

tangy yet delightful posted:

But actually I did google for 30 seconds and if you click this https://howlingpixel.com/i-en/Seismic_retrofit and scroll to the Techniques section you'll see an old timey earthquake bolt that is obviously different but at the same time looks similar and in the same vein as OPs metal things on the floor.

Ah, thanks! I never noticed any steel bolts on the exterior and my Googling wasn't specific for earthquake stuff so nothing like this showed up. But sure enough, there are metal plates with tightening bolts all along the exterior at floor-level, just painted the same color as the rest of the exterior. Here's a crappy cell phone pic if you want to see what it looks like:

Our building didn't get damaged in the big earthquake earlier this month, so I guess these things are doing their job and I won't start experimenting with unscrewing bolts or anything.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Curiosity posted:

Ah yes the entire intake vent that isn't blowing at me, right. Thank you!!

That isn't always a given. Some AC units have a little plastic nub under the top vent to pick whether you want fresh air or recycled air. Assuming that yours has no such control, then yeah it's taking air from inside. Most of mine have an outside air option though, so you should check for that.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

It might be worth saying that even if your unit is cycling interior air, in general when you install a window AC unit you are going to have some minimal airflow from the outside due to the cracks and gaps around the unit and your window frame. You can minimize this if you are careful in your insulation and use something like weatherstripping or foam to plug spots, but it's still likely going to have a little leakage. Whether that amount is going to be significant for your purposes, I dunno, but a window with an AC in it is going to be less airtight than one without (short of installing a cover for it).

Luna
May 31, 2001

A hand full of seeds and a mouthful of dirt

Installing peel and stick vinyl tile over existing vinyl flooring. Is there any prep I should do on the existing floor, like some form of primer?

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Luna posted:

Installing peel and stick vinyl tile over existing vinyl flooring. Is there any prep I should do on the existing floor, like some form of primer?

Get the biggest Sharpie you can find and write "Ha Ha Not Done Yet" on the vinyl before you cover it with more vinyl.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Nevets posted:

Get the biggest Sharpie you can find and write "Ha Ha Not Done Yet" on the vinyl before you cover it with more vinyl.

Holy gently caress

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Wasabi the J posted:

Holy gently caress

I am never going to not post this when the topic comes up, from my kitchen floor when I moved in:

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Omne posted:

I got the 3/16” Tapcons, 2 1/4” length. I used the supplied bit, and it really feels like it’s barely attached to anything. Like I used three screws in a bracket, and it moves if I pull on it. So I need the 3 1/2” screws? I could feel the bit going through the concrete so I didn’t miss it behind the drywall

edit: here's a photo of the wall in question. I'm mounting the brackets inside the window, on the sides. https://imgur.com/a/mye4GIw

That's not concrete, that's concrete block. They're hollow. Did you drill into the voids?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
My front loader Samsung washer (WF365BTBGWR/A2) that I've had since 2013 has started to leak out of the bottom (I'll poke around when I get an extra set of hands tonight)... this is going to suck and/or be a huge pain in the rear end to fix, isn't it?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Phone posted:

My front loader Samsung washer (WF365BTBGWR/A2) that I've had since 2013 has started to leak out of the bottom (I'll poke around when I get an extra set of hands tonight)... this is going to suck and/or be a huge pain in the rear end to fix, isn't it?

Depends. If you're lucky it's just the pump clean out cover that's come loose or a hose on the pump.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It's the hose itself, and luckily for me they put the pump near the front of the washer, which means that replacing the hose has STEP 1: DISASSEMBLE THE ENTIRE FRONT OF THE MACHINE INCLUDING POPPING THE GROMMET AND THE SPRING RETAINER

loving piece of poo poo

I'm sure that the pump itself is probably dying, too, so might as well replace that while I'm in there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uo_xIKsBY8I

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jaded Burnout posted:

I am never going to not post this when the topic comes up, from my kitchen floor when I moved in:

This is art.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Samsung appliances are notorious iirc

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Jaded Burnout posted:

Those are asbestos tiles at the bottom aren't they

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Jaded Burnout posted:

I sinned last week and got some of the faux wood laminate planking put down in the kitchen on top of 2-3 layers of linoleum. But at least it's because this house could have asbestos lurking far enough down so :v:

fake edit: sorry next owners

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

My neighbor's vacation home burned down in the Paradise fire last year. He recently went back there to see what he could salvage. The only thing left was his Wilton bench vise.

Any ideas how to get it unstuck? He's had it soaking is Kroil for a week. I recommended the 50/50 ATF/acetone blend. He's going to give that a shot as he's out of ideas.

Now that I'm thinking about it, any of the grease that was inside the bearings probably completely carbonized, and it's probably locked in solid.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Go to the metalworking thread they're always restoring equipment in there

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Fallom posted:

Those are asbestos tiles at the bottom aren't they

Fortunately no, they were just regular ceramics.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

FogHelmut posted:

My neighbor's vacation home burned down in the Paradise fire last year. He recently went back there to see what he could salvage. The only thing left was his Wilton bench vise.

Any ideas how to get it unstuck? He's had it soaking is Kroil for a week. I recommended the 50/50 ATF/acetone blend. He's going to give that a shot as he's out of ideas.

Now that I'm thinking about it, any of the grease that was inside the bearings probably completely carbonized, and it's probably locked in solid.

Cover it with motor oil & leave it for a week or two.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

FogHelmut posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5qMK3Df9F4

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Big props to the goon who posted the link to this place a while back:
https://www.repairclinic.com/

FYI they sell parts for appliances and poo poo. I just replaced the circulation pump in my dishwasher with one I bought here. Of course it had to be the most expensive part of the dishwasher itself, but the price was cheaper than anywhere else online I could find. Shipping was fast as hell, I think I had it in a day.
Probably because they've got a warehouse half an hour away but still, thats the poo poo.

The video that showed the replacement of said pump was also very fuckin helpful.

So yeah, thanks to whatever random goon that posted this place a year or so ago.

Luna
May 31, 2001

A hand full of seeds and a mouthful of dirt

Nevets posted:

I didn't ask what your wife says to you post coital.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Jaded Burnout posted:

Someone please animate this so it's a loop of endlessly falling through floor layers, thanks.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

FogHelmut posted:

Soak it in Evapo-Rust for awhile. Not sure that'll unstick it, but easy enough to try!

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

FogHelmut posted:

I remember a while ago in TFR there was a goon with an oil barrel full of rusted guns from some house fire. He would pull them out at random and restore them.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

I was installing a gate between my kitchen and laundry room and one of the screws I was putting into the threshold frame snapped off at the head. It's probably an inch to an inch and a half in there with maybe 3/4 of an inch sticking out. What's going to be the best way to get this thing out? Should I just saw it off? The screw is pretty narrow so not a lot to grip onto with the leatherman pliers I was using but I can buy something else if something in particular will get a better grip on it.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Small pair of vise grips. Only a couple bucks at wall mart.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

I was installing a gate between my kitchen and laundry room and one of the screws I was putting into the threshold frame snapped off at the head. It's probably an inch to an inch and a half in there with maybe 3/4 of an inch sticking out. What's going to be the best way to get this thing out? Should I just saw it off? The screw is pretty narrow so not a lot to grip onto with the leatherman pliers I was using but I can buy something else if something in particular will get a better grip on it.

If you have a drill you might be able to chuck it down onto the threads and then put it in reverse to get it out. Being a narrow screw this might not work but hey, free to try.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

We managed to chip the edge of the lip on our shower. The grout between the tiles was broken so I pulled it out, but the tiles appear to have just chipped, not cracked through or anything. Can I patch this somehow, or do I need to get someone in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I think you can grout that up without issue. Just make sure you get the right grout (sanded or unsanded) because one is for small crevices and the other is for more substantial gaps like you have, but I forget which one is which.