Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

That's a cool idea but I don't think they're gonna wander that far from the source material.

david doesnt even have the same powers as the source material

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Was flipping through some old episodes to reminisce and stumbled upon the conversation where Oliver says he's going to kill Farouk and gives him the riddle. I'm pretty sure one plus one is meant to symbolize connection and the strength of bonds which Farouk is unwilling or incapable of making. I love that Oliver and Melanie got to essentially be fairy godparents for Syd.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Series finale tonight and no new posts in the last 24 hours kind of sums up the popularity of this show. It's a shame it never got a bigger following -- it's in my all-time top 10 for sure and depending on the day it might be in the top half of that list. Hoping the ending has the same quality as the rest of the show.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Guys just wait for that Shi'ar name drop to pay off tonight when they show up in act 3 and ask who has turned time into Swiss cheese.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Here we go :dance:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Here's hoping Xavier can hold his own against old Shadow King

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Only packed one brain bullet, when you come at the Shadow King you best not miss

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

God this owns

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Should've done a 17 minute sequence set to Dogs

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
That’s a great music number. So we’re changing the past there already right? Syd being there to encourage David’s Mom made her a better mom and made David strong enough to break out if Farouk’s straight jacket.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

beanieson posted:

That’s a great music number. So we’re changing the past there already right? Syd being there to encourage David’s Mom made her a better mom and made David strong enough to break out if Farouk’s straight jacket.

That's for history to decide. But yes I think so.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Oh poo poo, always kinda expected this cover.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

beanieson posted:

Maybe, but "Mother" has some pretty ominous overtones considering this is a story about a guy with an absent dad (who served in ww2). In The Wall, the context is it's about an overprotective, smothering mom. "Mama's gonna help build the wall" is very much not a good thing.

e: \/ then again I might've misread that sequence...

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

beanieson posted:

I think that when Farouk called David her "Beautiful boy" like he always has, he realized what was going on.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

No Charles! He’s lying!

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Shadow King is the hero we needed all along

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Switch and her Dad have been playing a totally different game huh.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

My wife is sitting here watching this finale having not seen a single episode since like th middle of season one lol

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Neat

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

So uh, professor x is just gonna let shadow king keep all his slaves and tortures going huh

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Terror Sweat posted:

So uh, professor x is just gonna let shadow king keep all his slaves and tortures going huh

To be fair Charles may have negotiated for their release

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Nah, that monkey deserved it

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

beanieson posted:

Nah, that monkey deserved it

Uhhh did anyone stick around for the push button to start again? Has that always been there post studio logo?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

beanieson posted:

My wife is sitting here watching this finale having not seen a single episode since like th middle of season one lol

Almost same. It's been a trip.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
budget really caught up with this one lol

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
The real ending is coming in a theatrical release, The End of Legion

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

Just watching this now. Oh god the teeth. This show loves teeth

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
I enjoyed that. It was a little bit of a pat ending on several fronts, but eh, these characters have been through hell. They deserve happy endings.

General Dog posted:

The real ending is coming in a theatrical release, The End of Legion

Congratulations!!!

*dead-eyed smile*

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i really enjoyed it. not a perfect series but full of so many creative, interesting things and good characters

also: man, Stephanie Corneliussen, who is already otherworldly beautiful, in perfect 50s housewife makeup/attire singing Mother was terrifying

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
The ending's nearly bad enough to ruin the entire show.

It's barely one step removed from "it was all a dream!", David's narcissistic, childish plan to erase all the bad things he's ever done and start over (at tremendous personal cost to everyone he's ever known, as well as to Switch) worked exactly like he wanted it to, and the entire process depends on Shadow King -- an abusive monster who's used his ostensible love for David as an excuse since day one -- actually caring about him more than cares about himself.

I see people here calling it a "happy ending" but it's basically David taking the entire timeline along with him as he commits suicide, while completely and utterly failing to grapple with the consequences of him being a rapist and domineering psychopath himself. It all just... doesn't count!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I think things turned out pretty well for Switch.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

General Dog posted:

I think things turned out pretty well for Switch.

Right, my problem with that in particular is that the costs to her turned out to be completely illusory. Like, David mindslaved her and basically wrapped her around his finger, her body was literally falling apart doing what he asked her to do, and then at the very last minute the show goes oops! all just part of growing up as an incipient godling, don't worry about it!

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

What do you want to have happened

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Terror Sweat posted:

What do you want to have happened

For David to live with who he'd become.

For everyone else to get some closure for what he did to them, in one form or another. Maybe not by killing him, although his steadfast refusal to be helped or to ever humble himself in any way was kind of pointing in that direction, but certainly not by being erased from existence!

night slime
May 14, 2014
I agree that the stated motivation was weird...Future Syd did this in S2 and Farouk explained the weirdness of it where he talks about her killing herself, but she admittedly did it to save the world. So why make an entire season about the same exact concept, where a guy seemed to miss the point of something explained directly to him? It's just a weird thing to want to do...Stop living for a totally independently different person to get a chance and you never experience it?

I think the idea of Charles and Farouk pinpointing their "war" as being the genesis of everything was interesting. Was disappointing we just got the Xavier backstory tossed aside as "I don't know what happened because it wasn't me yet." We got that episode with Syd and the wolf that ended up just being pointless. Second childhood necessary to know to protect...a baby? Ok.

It's a nice series and I'll miss it cause it captured so much of what makes the X-Men interesting and there's nothing else nearly as interesting, especially the poignant dialogue, but it's like each subsequent season was a different, disconnected show with the same actors. I get that they were going for different themes, but it still makes it feel kind of odd and wandering in retrospect.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

For David to live with who he'd become.

For everyone else to get some closure for what he did to them, in one form or another. Maybe not by killing him, although his steadfast refusal to be helped or to ever humble himself in any way was kind of pointing in that direction, but certainly not by being erased from existence!

So a misery ending? A "justice" ending would have worse consequences for Syd who reframed her raping a guy into her being the actual victim, repeatedly tried to murder David, and even post-rebirth was only trying to stop David to make him pay for what he did to her, not others. Cary is a sort of helper dupe while Kerry is an extremely violent child who loses every fight she gets into, so I don't see what their positive outcome would or could be. Everyone else is dead.

In the actual ending David doesn't really fix anything. Syd fixes David by telling his mom to love him (albeit with a sorta strange song choice), giving him the love that he does deserve, and changing the past. David doesn't get/give some childish comeuppance because what's the point in that?

quote:

We got that episode with Syd and the wolf that ended up just being pointless. Second childhood necessary to know to protect...a baby? Ok.
The rebirth episode was to change Syd's goals from murdering David to saving David. Kerry was on board the "kill baby hilter" train and Syd stopped her.

Zachack fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Aug 13, 2019

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Zachack posted:

So a misery ending? A "justice" ending would have worse consequences for Syd who reframed her raping a guy into her being the actual victim, repeatedly tried to murder David, and even post-rebirth was only trying to stop David to make him pay for what he did to her, not others. Cary is a sort of helper dupe while Kerry is an extremely violent child who loses every fight she gets into, so I don't see what their positive outcome would or could be. Everyone else is dead.

In the actual ending David doesn't really fix anything. Syd fixes David by telling his mom to love him (albeit with a sorta strange song choice), giving him the love that he does deserve, and changing the past. David doesn't get/give some childish comeuppance because what's the point in that?

Not a "misery ending." Just an ending that doesn't imply that anyone who's ever been abused or hurt by a loved one should just accept that they're an inferior, damaged versions of themselves and should jump at the chance to be replaced by a do-over.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Your characterization of Sid is also really weird and contrary to what the show actually presents but I'm not going to argue the point all that hard because it actually doesn't make much of a difference whether she has her own share of skeletons in the closet or not. Trying to erase your actions so you don't have to think or deal with the consequences ever again is hosed up and nihilistic either way.

night slime
May 14, 2014

Zachack posted:

The rebirth episode was to change Syd's goals from murdering David to saving David. Kerry was on board the "kill baby hilter" train and Syd stopped her.

I get that her goals changed, but everything that happened ended up being due to Farouk and Xavier's decisions, not her, so it kind of lessened the payoff to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Not a "misery ending." Just an ending that doesn't imply that anyone who's ever been abused or hurt by a loved one should just accept that they're an inferior, damaged versions of themselves and should jump at the chance to be replaced by a do-over.

The people hurt also took terrible actions against others, the chance to pull up died halfway through this season. And I'm pretty sure all the corpses in space would love a do-over. And I don't think Sid or the Karys were jumping at a do-over so much as accepting it was going to happen.

quote:

Your characterization of Sid is also really weird and contrary to what the show actually presents but I'm not going to argue the point all that hard because it actually doesn't make much of a difference whether she has her own share of skeletons in the closet or not. Trying to erase your actions so you don't have to think or deal with the consequences ever again is hosed up and nihilistic either way.
The characterization is exactly what the show has shown. Sid raped a guy in season 2 and destroyed his life. Sid tried to kill David at the end of season 2 and succeeded twice in the first episode of season 3. Sid reframed her raping a guy into her being violated when she talked to her younger self in the time eater episode. Sid in the previous episode says it's about her hurt, not the hurt to others. Sid is a mess of characterizations and got a astral plane do-over near the end to kinda fix that.

In the real world you can't erase your actions because we don't have a time traveler, an omega-level psychic parasite, blue meanies, or a literal god walking around. But trying to fix your mistakes is the opposite of nihilistic, if David was nihilistic he would have just rewritten existence on his own, or just finished wiping out Division 3 and lived his cult life. David wanted a better life for everyone, whether they like it or not.

Zachack fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Aug 13, 2019