Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Did anyone see T-Mobile’s tv service? Lol

$90 a month and you have to use their set top box.

It seems like you get a boat load of channels but no hbo and lol at $90 a month and needing to use their probably poo poo tier box.

https://www.t-mobile.com/tv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

MarcusSA posted:

It seems like you get a boat load of channels but no hbo and lol at $90 a month and needing to use their probably poo poo tier box.

The most Cable With Buffering of all the Cables With Buffering

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah that one was a head scratcher.

Much more interesting is Orby TV. Not actually cord cutting but at least they are shaking things up.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I still think the spectrum deal might be the best bet right now.

The price is only good for two years though so its probably gonna jump up to $800 a month with no notice when the promo expires.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

It's also an additional $10/mo to rent their set top box so it's $100 + taxes lol

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FCKGW posted:

It's also an additional $10/mo to rent their set top box so it's $100 + taxes lol

Holy fuckin lol I didn’t even notice that.

Just get cable at that point wtf. Also you probably don’t have access to any apps.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
It doesn’t say anything about requiring home internet that I can see. The “home connectivity requirements” don’t mention it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

It doesn’t say anything about requiring home internet that I can see. The “home connectivity requirements” don’t mention it.

Oh nice so the buffering comment is even more spot on.

I just can’t see that though. There is no way their network could support adding all these 4k set top boxes.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

It does require internet. TVision is just a re-brand of Layer3TV service the bought back in late 2017 (wtf why did it take so long)

https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/13/16773232/layer3-tv-tmobile-streaming-service-iptv-internet-protocol

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, the reason why the T-Mobile stuff seems like cable is because it basically is just an existing cable offering. The price is steep but I might be willing to try it out because word is that Layer 3 had the absolute best image quality out of any TV service out there.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

MarcusSA posted:

I would imagine that this is the groundwork for something else.

Like when 5G is nationwide, you sell these boxes with a 5G modem in them. Sell it in rural areas where Comcast wants $5,000 to run a internet line from the street out to your house.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Astro7x posted:

Sell it in rural areas.

Lol as if T-Mobile has any interest or presence in those areas.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, the reason why the T-Mobile stuff seems like cable is because it basically is just an existing cable offering. The price is steep but I might be willing to try it out because word is that Layer 3 had the absolute best image quality out of any TV service out there.

Yeah, you might want to think again if you think that will continue.

"Streaming/Cord-cutting" in 2019: Same business ideas (charge more spend less) but change the names because the young'uns think "Cable TV" is for grandma these days.

Edit: Stringer Bell explains:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDBq-OU1rHo&t=163s

Ixian fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Aug 13, 2019

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Astro7x posted:

I would imagine that this is the groundwork for something else.

Like when 5G is nationwide, you sell these boxes with a 5G modem in them. Sell it in rural areas where Comcast wants $5,000 to run a internet line from the street out to your house.

Some of y'all think 5G is just this magic thing that's going to solve the internet.

5G is going to do the same thing 4G did - make cell phones work better in populated areas. That's it.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

MarcusSA posted:

Lol as if T-Mobile has any interest or presence in those areas.

T-Mobile works perfectly fine at my In-laws place in upper Michigan. They were in a similar situation where the cable company wanted an insane amount of money to install a line to their home. My father in-law just went onto the pole and added the line himself. Then he has a friend that is in an area with Comcast subscribe to the service, do the "self install", and then just took the box to their house and set the account on auto pay with a credit card. Like... it was that, or pay several thousand dollars to dig a trench to their home to get internet.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

TheScott2K posted:

Some of y'all think 5G is just this magic thing that's going to solve the internet.

5G is going to do the same thing 4G did - make cell phones work better in populated areas. That's it.

No really though, T-Mobile is planning to use their 5G network to be the next Comcast

https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/21/17886574/t-mobile-in-home-internet-sprint-5g-goals-charter-comcast

Now how much of an improvement it is to have another Comcast is a different question

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TheScott2K posted:

But that's what all the marketing says! Just like 4G marketing!

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

bull3964 posted:

I had it when they first rolled it out in my neighborhood on a great deal. The PQ was so impressive, they actually use a 10GIG wavelength connection to connect from their datacenter to my local ISP. Its pretty insane what their connection was.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Rastor posted:

No really though, T-Mobile is planning to use their 5G network to be the next Comcast

https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/21/17886574/t-mobile-in-home-internet-sprint-5g-goals-charter-comcast

Now how much of an improvement it is to have another Comcast is a different question

TheScott2K is right though, 5G is an extension to 4G not a supplanting technology. Yes, given the right density it could, in theory, be used for wireless internet to a fixed location but that's simply not going to work outside of very high density locations like an apartment complex. Really when you're down to that small a location wireline services will always be superior. (gently caress Comcast though.)

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Can't wait to get a 5G phone and reach my 12 gig cap even faster

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

TheScott2K posted:

Can't wait to get a 5G phone and reach my 12 gig cap even faster

God drat. What poo poo tier plan do you have?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Proteus Jones posted:

God drat. What poo poo tier plan do you have?

What are you on about? I have sprint's "unlimited" plan and I get 10gb per line before I get throttled.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Yeah, I think most "unlimited plans" in America throttle after 10-20GB depending on carrier

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Croatoan posted:

What are you on about? I have sprint's "unlimited" plan and I get 10gb per line before I get throttled.

Deprioritization on Sprint happens after 50GB (used to be ~23GB) so you may be running into something else or have a super ancient plan or something.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Yeah, I think most "unlimited plans" in America throttle after 10-20GB depending on carrier

The limits are a bit higher for most carriers. Verizon is 25-75 depending on plan. ATT is at 22gb. T-Mobile is 55gb.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

astral posted:

Deprioritization on Sprint happens after 50GB (used to be ~23GB) so you may be running into something else or have a super ancient plan or something.

I'm on a family plan with 3 lines. That might be what's different.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

bull3964 posted:

The limits are a bit higher for most carriers. Verizon is 25-75 depending on plan. ATT is at 22gb. T-Mobile is 55gb.

Oh, well that's good then. I swore it was way lower

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Actually I looked at the T-Mobile TV service and seriously considered it, it was around what we were paying with U-Verse before our promo ended and AT&T basically said gently caress off on any discounts on the $150+ a month we were going to start paying for TV.

The hardware and interface is supposed to be really good and my husband is not a techie and really attached to the idea of having a cable service and not an app on a streaming box. I eventually got him on Hulu Live+ after a trial because it was so much cheaper but if he hadn't gone for that T-Mobile TV was pretty up there for my second choice as we already have an unlimited 1gb fiber connection.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
So I dropped DishTV and mailed them back their equipment and after thinking I'd bear with Hulu Live TV since I already pay them $12, I just cannot stand their guide and interface, so I am on board with YouTubeTV. So far it's working great, with snappy response on the ATV4k, although some aspects of the interface and the library of recorded shows, etc is a bit clumsy the guide is very traditional and you can also custom sort it and hide channels, etc. I do miss the Apple TV up next integration that Hulu, Fubu, PS Vue had though.....

...and you guys are right for OTA antenna channels, the HD Home Run Extend (DVR to a NAS) and the Channels app for Apple TV is great.

OTA recording of regular network sports and news will hopefully help me stay under Xfinity's 1TB Cap.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Aug 17, 2019

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I keep looking at this channel app and just wish they had a lifetime sub, I already forked over money for Plex so I'm hoping some of these features make it over

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
This OTA dvr thing has me stumped. Plex seems like it has the best interface and I can deal with the Plex pass but what does everyone use for a NAS? I was thinking of going with a QNAP since I've used those before but it seems the ones that support the most Plex features are also the most expensive once you add drives. Should I just build my own NAS?

Or can I use the HD Homerun tuner with built in DVR with something other than the HD Homerun app? I would prefer just to buy one thing $300 or under.

edit: I was thinking of going with Hulu since that has all the channels we watch now with DirecTV (satellite). TLC and Lifetime are my wife's favorites and my daughter likes all of the kids channels (Nick & Disney). Two of our locals are in a retrans dispute so we've been missing CBS & NBC since May. Hulu doesn't have the NBC affiliate but has all the other channels, Youtube has all the locals but not all the other channels my wife and daughter like. Why is this so hard?

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 21, 2019

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

TheWevel posted:

Why is this so hard?

Cheap, easy, quick: pick two.

TiVo is still the easiest OTA DVR method but it ain’t the cheapest.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
There is some deal going on right now for a TiVo Bolt OTA for $50 off

http://pages.email.tivo.com/back-to-school-sales

That's something... valid through 8/23

A lifetime subscription breaks even in about 2 years.

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Aug 21, 2019

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

TheWevel posted:

This OTA dvr thing has me stumped. Plex seems like it has the best interface and I can deal with the Plex pass but what does everyone use for a NAS? I was thinking of going with a QNAP since I've used those before but it seems the ones that support the most Plex features are also the most expensive once you add drives. Should I just build my own NAS?

Or can I use the HD Homerun tuner with built in DVR with something other than the HD Homerun app? I would prefer just to buy one thing $300 or under.

edit: I was thinking of going with Hulu since that has all the channels we watch now with DirecTV (satellite). TLC and Lifetime are my wife's favorites and my daughter likes all of the kids channels (Nick & Disney). Two of our locals are in a retrans dispute so we've been missing CBS & NBC since May. Hulu doesn't have the NBC affiliate but has all the other channels, Youtube has all the locals but not all the other channels my wife and daughter like. Why is this so hard?

Yeah, you don't have to use Home Run's software.

My Setup is:
1. OTA antenna plugged into.....
2. a HD Home Run Extend (it looks like Connect Duo is its replacement and under $100) AND since Home Run's software (guide/dvr) sort of sucks.....I use
3. Channels App ($29) on ATV4, which you connect to the HD Home Run unit and which provides its own Guide and DVR service ($8/month) which points at my already existing.....
4. Synology NAS

DVR setup was easy, just do some configuration on ChannelsDVR and then download the app on the NAS and connect it. It works great on my home network, I was not able to get it to work off network via LTE on my iPad yet.

I use it on:
2 ATV4's
1 Shield (android Channels DVR app is free), connected right up to the OTA guide on opening it.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Aug 21, 2019

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

TheWevel posted:

I use Synology myself (not just for Plex). I have a Plex pass and use the DVR function in Plex with my HD Home Run. It works great.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

TheWevel posted:

Check out the Tablo if you want something simple and easy. I love mine.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away
Ok, so I'm not sure what happened, but DTN (or AT&T TV Now or whatever the hell it is) took away my HBO subscription. Did this happen to anyone else too? I have Go Big! package from original sign up.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I have a QNAP which works great as a dvr.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

thisdude23 posted:

Ok, so I'm not sure what happened, but DTN (or AT&T TV Now or whatever the hell it is) took away my HBO subscription. Did this happen to anyone else too? I have Go Big! package from original sign up.

Seems to be working for me on my Live A Little package

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away

Endless Mike posted:

Seems to be working for me on my Live A Little package

Ok. Guess I'm reaching out to them... Thank you.