Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

If anything we need even more lunatic units of measure based on stuff like average length of old kingdom bread loaves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
the highest temperature recorded anywhere was 70.7c in the desert in Iran so lol at the idea 100 is wild and lol at US troops after the invasion

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

sad how europe follows trends instead of truth

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
F is best for temperature because at both extremes of the neat 0-100 degree mark is where you start to want to die, so it's just a percentage scale in most people's minds.

sorry that this makes more sense than celcius

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

way too erase the liberian space program

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
metric is fine but L/km for cars is really dum

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

RIP Syndrome posted:

way too erase the liberian space program

props to their acknowledgment of the cayman islands contributions to space tho

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Strep Vote posted:

F is best for temperature because at both extremes of the neat 0-100 degree mark is where you start to want to die, so it's just a percentage scale in most people's minds.

i want to die at all temps

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Strep Vote posted:

you die at both in celsius you idiot, you loving moron

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

69 celsius: dead
69 kelvin: dead

69 fahrenheit: nice!

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Jose posted:

you die at both in celsius you idiot, you loving moron

Dying at 0 celsius is incredibly british

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

[throws a bucket of snow at your feet before you respond, causing you to panic and flee]

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Amercians rejoiced when they finally completed the Washington-Alaska ocean bridge so they don't have to set foot in Canada anymore

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Third World Reagan posted:

nice map of freedom and not freedom

It's what the F stands for.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
We use units of Freedom here for our temperature in freedomland, and we are doing our best to export molecules of freedom to the rest of the world which will in turn make that freedom number go up up up

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Strep Vote posted:

nah, i start to wish for death at 0C, so your stupid bullshit scale that goes to absurdly low temperatures that only simpletons would want to live in is still dumb

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

redleader posted:

nah, i start to wish for death at 0C, so your stupid bullshit scale that goes to absurdly low temperatures that only simpletons would want to live in is still dumb

lol you're not from a place where it gets cold enough to wish for death

0-100 F works p good because that's about one years range of temperatures here

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

celcius is extremely good if you dont care about knowing the actual temperature within the 5+ real degrees that they cram into each of their fake ones.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

celcius is extremely good if you dont care about knowing the actual temperature within the 5+ real degrees that they cram into each of their fake ones.

Nine fifths actually. :spergin:

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Degrees Kelvin or go home imo

lol if your zero isn't absolute

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Peanut Butler posted:

lol you're not from a place where it gets cold enough to wish for death

0-100 F works p good because that's about one years range of temperatures here

correct, and you should leave for somewhere that has reasonable year-round temperatures. which is where celsius shines - if it dips below zero C, don't live there

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

redleader posted:

correct, and you should leave for somewhere that has reasonable year-round temperatures. which is where celsius shines - if it dips below zero C, don't live there

Good news about the future of everywhere then.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Shima Honnou posted:

Good news about the future of everywhere then.

too bad winter won't exist anymore

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I know when I step out and can feel it's a solid 528.67 Rankine, I can't help but let the world know that it is, indeed, "nice"

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Tbh I cant really tell the difference between one degree Celsius and the next anyway. Why do you need so many Fahrenheits?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

redleader posted:

places where the temperature dips below zero C are way better, tho

Norway is a social-democratic paradise, while the UK is, well, the UK

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Deformed Church posted:

Tbh I cant really tell the difference between one degree Celsius and the next anyway. Why do you need so many Fahrenheits?

Normal temperature range for Celsius is -17 to 38 degrees, which is 0F to 100F. As you can see Celsius has a range of 55 units while Fahrenheit has a range of 100 units. It is therefore far easier and more satisfying to describe number go up using Fahrenheit. Thus, we must conclude that Fahrenheit is the superior unit of measurement.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

places that never freeze over attract retirees in droves, no thanks

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Epic High Five posted:

places that never freeze over attract retirees in droves, no thanks

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Epic High Five posted:

places that never freeze over attract retirees in domes

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Heat death soon
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/13/us/heat-wave-south.html

quote:

A heat wave in the South forced residents to contend with scorching temperatures and dangerously high humidity on Monday and Tuesday.

Temperatures were expected to climb above 100 degrees in some places, with heat indexes as high as 118 degrees, the National Weather Service said on Tuesday.
Linda Nolden, 60, a community services coordinator at the Tougaloo Community Center in Jackson, said in an interview on Tuesday that she could not remember a hotter day this year.

She was working to help dozens of older people at the center stay cool. “I guess with the energy bills being so high, a lot of the time they just come here to stay with me,” she said. “They can stay as long as they need to.”

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

lol my AC unit is about 40 years old and choking on this heat- barely cooling the place while costing $100-$150/mo to run- so I just have it shut off and am using a series of fans combined with sweat to not keel over as the heat index jumps around between 90-110 F

why yes, I rent, from a management company headed by a man who even pro-landlord people call, 'a sociopath'

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Peanut Butler posted:

lol my AC unit is about 40 years old and choking on this heat- barely cooling the place while costing $100-$150/mo to run- so I just have it shut off and am using a series of fans combined with sweat to not keel over as the heat index jumps around between 90-110 F

why yes, I rent, from a management company headed by a man who even pro-landlord people call, 'a sociopath'

You live in trump tower??

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Peanut Butler posted:

rip his balls off

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

fahrenheit is loving dumb. 0* being the freezing point is v nice because I want to look at a thermometer, see 0 or below and realize poo poo might be frozen outside. what kind of idiot thinks "hmm yes let me remember the number 32 that's a nice number that I want to think about for the rest of my life"? oh yeah, people who love fahrenheit

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Condiv posted:

fahrenheit is loving dumb. 0* being the freezing point is v nice because I want to look at a thermometer, see 0 or below and realize poo poo might be frozen outside. what kind of idiot thinks "hmm yes let me remember the number 32 that's a nice number that I want to think about for the rest of my life"? oh yeah, people who love fahrenheit

i never think maybe thats ur problem

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I want to look at a thermometer, see 100 or above and realize I might die as soon as I step outside. what kind of idiot thinks "hmm yes let me remember the number 37.7 that's a nice number that I want to think about for the rest of my life"? oh yeah, people who love celsius

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

And folks, what is the freaking deal with airline food.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

jsut get a thermometer that shows F and C on the left and right sides of the tube for the best of both worlds, you can look at 0 C or 100 F depending on whats going on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

You live in trump tower??

lol I rent a 1bdr, 500 sq ft condo previously inhabited by an old lady who had to go to assisted living; her family hired the management company to handle renting it out. p sure I'm gettin kicked out once she's gone, which is a mixed deal: it's cheap for the area so I don't need a roommate, they don't give a poo poo about how I've nailed a bunch of lights and stuff to the lil 40 sq ft patio, they generally leave me alone and don't come knocking for every lil thing- but it's also about 2mi from anything worth walking to and my landlord is the second-worst I've had out of like twelve

the saving grace is that it's a 1st floor on a hill, so it's half underground and stays under 85 F even if it's boiling outside

Addamere posted:

rip his balls off

my trophy room is full and I cant afford more square feet