Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

I'd rather they just remove cyril from the game because his character sucks rear end

Look at how wrong you are

https://twitter.com/route217s/status/1159988559916388352

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Cattail Prophet posted:

Just finished Hubert's paralogue. It was a really fun fight, but I'm almost disappointed that you only need to save half the green units to get the reward. I had to pull off some pretty big brained plays to keep them all alive.

I have a general dislike for levels that amount to "run your fastest units to the opposite side of the map as fast as you can, hopefully before the braindead AI kills itself", but the goddamn wizards in that stage are actively suicidal on top of being flimsy as paper. I only managed to save a single one, with a well-timed heal. The map didn't see fit to give me any reward at all for my brave efforts... which of course didn't stop the cutscene from referencing it anyway...

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
Cyril's fine when the writers let him do something other than talk about how much he loves Rhea.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013
So, a question about stats and recruiting. Are the stats your recruited students come with 'locked' so that no matter the game they have specific stats at level 11 or so on, or are they rolled? and if they are rolled, when? when they accept being recruited?

rannum posted:

No, it's a separate option
I am on NG+, and I don't see that option without an amiibo.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Arkeus posted:

I am on NG+, and I don't see that option without an amiibo.
not only do you need an amiibo to unlock it, it needs to be a fire emblem amiibo. dumb as hell.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Cattail Prophet posted:

Just finished Hubert's paralogue. It was a really fun fight, but I'm almost disappointed that you only need to save half the green units to get the reward. I had to pull off some pretty big brained plays to keep them all alive.

You get different cuscenes depending on how many you save, with Hubert giving different amount of information.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
A lot of Manuela's support with the students is just them yelling at how amazing she is to them and the rest with the teachers/staff/knights are just "girl, you're a disaster."

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
The Duality of Manuela.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Tired Moritz posted:

A lot of Manuela's support with the students is just them yelling at how amazing she is to them and the rest with the teachers/staff/knights are just "girl, you're a disaster."

Also she’s incredibly messy.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

Blaziken386 posted:

I already felt bad killing him, and then the game pulls this poo poo on me in the middle of my gardening run. Brb crying. :negative:

also of course Dorothea is the one who comments on it, considering she & ferdinand got married last time around. way to make it hurt more, game.

Dorothea does more to ground the game's narrative than any other character by like a loving mile to the point where not having her around arguably makes the plot worse.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
I'm still annoyed that the CG when S-ranking Dorethea is just a gratuitous rack shot, she really deserved something classier.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

That's how she's introduced too. And Manuela...

Also as much as I hate the Bernadetta voice in Japanese I like the other ones! Especially Alois. He might have my favourite.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
I loved how in my Golden Deer run when we were gearing up to invade the imperial capital, Dorothea made a point of asking Byleth to try and keep the damage contained to the noble quarters of town :black101:

Of course this was a two turn warpskip map but still drat if I was hoping I made good on her request

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Alois' true character is lost without appropriate delivery of his excellent dad jokes, I refuse to listen to him in japanese.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

Alois' true character is lost without appropriate delivery of his excellent dad jokes, I refuse to listen to him in japanese.

what makes you think his pun game is any weaker in japanese, the language of puns

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Your Computer posted:

what makes you think his pun game is any weaker in japanese, the language of puns

If you don't speak Japanese the effect is lost

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
so I just got to The Battle of Gronder Field, Part 2 in Golden Deer, and I have to say, why the gently caress isn't this in all of the routes??? It's such a good callback!!

e: on a related note, warping Felix + a high critical hit sword into a crowd of fortress knights is hilarious. it was like something out of an anime

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Aug 13, 2019

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Blaziken386 posted:

so I just got to The Battle of Gronder Field, Part 2 in Golden Deer, and I have to say, why the gently caress isn't this in all of the routes??? It's such a good callback!!

e: on a related note, warping Felix + a high critical hit sword into a crowd of fortress knights is hilarious. it was like something out of an anime

Is... is it not? I’ve only done the Golden Deer route so far but that chapter not being in every route is mind boggling

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
It's in Blue Lions idk about church route.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I've created... something beautiful...

Is there a reason to use Ashe with Shamir around? He has more mag than str as an archer at level 14 lol, 13 to 10

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

RBA Starblade posted:

Is there a reason to use Ashe with Shamir around? He has more mag than str as an archer at level 14 lol, 13 to 10

I stopped using Ashe when I got Shamir when I played BL. Now on my BE playthrough I use Shamir and Bernie for great results. Ashe just never seemed that good to me.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

My Ashe was an absolute monster, criting everyone from 5 spaces away.

But it’s FE, so your results may vary. :shrug:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Chocolate Bunny posted:

It's in Blue Lions idk about church route.

Church route is the only route that does not get it and its such a wet fart!

The chapter starts on you having a meeting with Seteth and Flayn, and then someone bursts in to tell you "HEY THERE WAS A BIG BATTLE AT GRONDER FIELD, DIMITRI'S DEAD, CLAUDE'S GONE MISSING AND EDELGARD'S TAKEN HEAVY DAMAGE!" And then your crew figures its time to take the offensive against the Empire, I think.

I just did the battle last night on the BL route and holy poo poo its so cool that it makes me even madder that Church route gets shafted so hard.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I like to just put killer bows on Bernie and Ashe and have them pull off curved shot crits on dudes like 20 tiles away

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019

ChaosArgate posted:

Church route is the only route that does not get it and its such a wet fart!

The chapter starts on you having a meeting with Seteth and Flayn, and then someone bursts in to tell you "HEY THERE WAS A BIG BATTLE AT GRONDER FIELD, DIMITRI'S DEAD, CLAUDE'S GONE MISSING AND EDELGARD'S TAKEN HEAVY DAMAGE!" And then your crew figures its time to take the offensive against the Empire, I think.

I just did the battle last night on the BL route and holy poo poo its so cool that it makes me even madder that Church route gets shafted so hard.

So far it feels like both BEagles routes (church and Edelgard) suffer from dev time being split between them. Not that the other routes aren't without flaws, but it really sticks out to me.

RIP Dimitri, getting a rubbish offscreen death again.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Early on in my Blue Lions run, I can already tell Dedue is going to be insanely good. His personal ability is hilarious in the early game and I'm sure once he becomes a Fortress Knight he'll be outright invincible.

I can also tell that Ashe and Ingrid are going to be total coin flips as to whether they turn out good or not.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Harrow posted:

Early on in my Blue Lions run, I can already tell Dedue is going to be insanely good. His personal ability is hilarious in the early game and I'm sure once he becomes a Fortress Knight he'll be outright invincible.

I can also tell that Ashe and Ingrid are going to be total coin flips as to whether they turn out good or not.

Ashe is basically just a worse Bernadette. Almost identical growths except he has a way worse personal skill.

Ingrid's goodness basically depends if she can hit her STR growths after hitting advanced classes (Wyvern Rider fixes it really well). Even if she doesn't she's easily fixed with a few STR boosters as her other growths are solid.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Aug 13, 2019

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Harrow posted:

Pretty sure Ingrid would need to be really unlucky to be anything but a monster. Might need to give her a few STR boost, maybe, but her stupid high speed and decent other stats means she is all but invincible. Just have to remember to either put her as a Paladin (good STR growth, Aegis) or Assassin (insane Speed and good Dex growth) in her advanced classes before getting her Falcon Knight.

Also, I asked this before, but does anyone knows how the stats of the students you recruit are decided?

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I had Ingrid go like nine levels early on with no strength points, gave her the two or three str boosters i had laying around in convoy and she still did fine

I'm trying to get used to having so many flyers on this BL run (Seteth, Cyril, Ingrid, Hilda). I haven't had more than two in any of my other runs lol

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

RBA Starblade posted:

My Ashe had a lot more speed when I got Shamir. Plus I like his character.

Harrow posted:

I’m gonna miss Dedue so much. I sent him through Brigand -> Warrior for more firepower. He doesn’t even need to go Armor/Fortress Knight with his defense growth and passive skill.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Harrow posted:

Give him some gauntlets if you haven't already

quote:

My Ashe had a lot more speed when I got Shamir. Plus I like his character.

Mine isn't able to double anyone so I got unlucky with him (and Cyril's not looking hot) so other than his personality he's a failson for me :negative:

Ingrid at least is a magekiller

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Fwiw I sent Ashe through Thief for the better growths, then went back through Archer with a knowledge gem to get Hit Rate +20

e: I also had him in Assassin for a couple levels, weird route but made him great

ROFL Octopus fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Aug 13, 2019

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Do Armor Knights just kinda suck? Low movement, and not that great of dmg output. I guess for tanking dmg they're worth but they could have some sort of aggro ability.

What's the word on dlc btw, any news?

On Golden Deer postskip I managed to keep Ashe alive when he showed up on a map, but I didn't get a chance to recruit him. I thought by cornering him and not kill him he would join me.. nope

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

ROFL Octopus posted:

I’m gonna miss Dedue so much. I sent him through Brigand -> Warrior for more firepower. He doesn’t even need to go Armor/Fortress Knight with his defense growth and passive skill.

You definitely want Dedue to have Quick Riposte from War Master (master ability that gets certain second attack when an enemy attacks and you have >50% life). Main issue is that he will get punted by anyone using magic attacks, but I guess enemies using combat arts to deal magic damage is fairly rare in the game?

Honest Thief posted:

Do Armor Knights just kinda suck? Low movement, and not that great of dmg output. I guess for tanking dmg they're worth but they could have some sort of aggro ability.

What's the word on dlc btw, any news?

Armor Knight have super high base defence, so certifying into the class improves the defence of most of your characters that uses axes (very useful). Apart from that they do get poo poo growth yeah, so it's not worth the temporary +4 defence the class itself has.

Arkeus fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Aug 13, 2019

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Beat the game on Golden Deer route last night - first FE I bothered to make it to the end of, and first game in a while that I'm excited to restart as soon as I've finished. Next playthrough is gonna be Black Eagles, and I'm going to pay a lot more attention to people's classes and plan for their growth from the outset instead of winging it.

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

I'd rather they just remove cyril from the game because his character sucks rear end

Cyril owns. Loved all his supports where he just straight-face clowns on people without them knowing they're being clowned on.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Does Cyril ever actually have a conversation with Rhea instead of just about her?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Speaking of Blue Lions: any tips for what to do with Sylvain? Is it worth training up his heavy armor for Great Knight or would he be okay just chilling as a Paladin? I noticed his budding talent points him towards Dark Knight but his magic growth is nothing special.

ROFL Octopus posted:

RBA Starblade posted:

Give him some gauntlets if you haven't already

Noted. Raphael kicked a lot of rear end as soon as I have him gauntlets so that makes perfect sense to me.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
[This note is just a crude drawing of an extended middle finger.]

(Cyril's advice box notes are pretty good is what I'm saying.)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Harrow posted:

Speaking of Blue Lions: any tips for what to do with Sylvain? Is it worth training up his heavy armor for Great Knight or would he be okay just chilling as a Paladin? I noticed his budding talent points him towards Dark Knight but his magic growth is nothing special.

Noted. Raphael kicked a lot of rear end as soon as I have him gauntlets so that makes perfect sense to me.

I'm making him a wyvern lord so I went into fighter or whatever axe and bows is while power-leveling his flying

He's pretty okay

I probably won't get any Great Knights or Fortress Lords unless I get tired of Dedue soloing maps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm making him a wyvern lord so I went into fighter or whatever axe and bows is while power-leveling his flying

Ah, I didn't even consider taking him airborne. Wyvern Lord needs two out of his three strengths so as long as I start working on his flying early he should get there no problem.

I was considering making Byleth a Wyvern Lord this time, too, since I used his personal class almost exclusively last run. Could be fun having a lot of flyers between Wyvern Lord Byleth, Sylvain, Seteth, and Ingrid.