Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Dr. Stab posted:

I could only listen as far as the judge academy guy claiming that unioinization would put LGSes out of nusiness.

Fffffffff WHAT! This is going to be harder than the time I tried (and ultimately failed) to listen to Sargon of Akkad argur that white identity should exist on Maddox's podcast, isn't it?

Well rest assured I'll do my best to report in. Or just as likely I'll fall asleep at work while listening to it.

Sickening posted:

Is the guy doing the podcast one of the guys getting paid? If so, lol.

Lol, he's the guy in charge.

And I think the Judgecast guy is one of the guys getting paid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

suicidesteve posted:

Fffffffff WHAT! This is going to be harder than the time I tried (and ultimately failed) to listen to Sargon of Akkad argur that white identity should exist on Maddox's podcast, isn't it?

Well rest assured I'll do my best to report in. Or just as likely I'll fall asleep at work while listening to it.

Lol, he's the guy in charge.

And I think the Judgecast guy is one of the guys getting paid.

Wait, all 3 people are getting paid by this new org. What a shitshow.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
*raises hand and shouts "JUDGE"*

whats the difference between pyroblast and red elemental blast

also i think my opponent is cheating

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Stab posted:

I could only listen as far as the judge academy guy claiming that unioinization would put LGSes out of business.

I'm not going to listen, but what was the reasoning? Judges are already optional for every event an LGS could run.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Well, just that if an LGS was required to pay judges the same amount as premier events (a union would necessitate this for some reason) then they would either go out of business or not have judges anymore.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

This reddit poster seems like a goon and if this is you, I think you summed this all up very well.

reddit posted:

Hareeb_alSaq

28 points
·
7 days ago
(Former L3)

This is a situation where WotC (presumably) solved its legal issues while still maintaining de facto control of the judge program, and they pulled it off for the cost of printing a small amount of shiny cardboard. Because JA is entirely dependent on cheap quality foils to resell, and it's incredibly unlikely that they have a contract stipulating the quality of foils, or compensation if they suck, etc. WotC can simply end JA at any time by announcing a set of promo Mudholes. WotC knows that. JA knows that. When WotC wants something, JA will remember that. An arrangement where one side has trivial existential leverage and the other side has no leverage should be assumed to be, or to quickly become, JA simply being WotC's butt muppet.

Big TOs will be happy with this for several reasons. The first is that they dont have to put more of their own resources into maintaining a qualified staff pool around their regions. The second is that because JA is essentially existentially forbidden from causing any trouble, it's not going to agitate for better working conditions/compensation, and any energy directed at lobbying JA, or any misunderstanding that JA might ever do that is less energy directed at anything that could affect TO bottom line.

There's not going to be any elected representation for obvious reasons. JA cant cause trouble, so they're going to vet staff carefully and only work with people who "get it". And by "get it", I mean understand that JA is not an organization for judges, it's an organization that exists to be WotC's butt muppet, keep big TOs staffed and happy, and get Tim and some high-level judges paid.

There's no financial transparency- and some combination of incompetence/misrepresentations/blatant lies whenever financials are discussed- because the whole arrangement is shady AF on every level. There's no way they're going to go from "shady and opaque" to providing a line by line accounting of their revenue and expenditures and showing everybody exactly how messed up the whole situation is. If JA were an organization for judges, they'd be happy to prove it with financials- and if they were legally registered as one of several types of organizations for judges, they would HAVE TO- but again, they're just not an organization for judges and they're choosing to not be transparent.

Everybody who subscribes is simply paying Tim and Nicolette to sell them out to WotC and big TOs, but I'm sure plenty of people wont be able to resist that sweet sweet foil blood money.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
That is an S-tier username either way.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

There's still at least some people on the judge Reddit complaining that they have to pay to keep their judge level, not getting that judge levels don't exist anymore. Unless they're real hung up on getting to judge GPs and the totally screwed over CFB(e) only hires JA judges.

What a shitshow.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Lone Goat posted:

Pit Fight was a hybrid R/G fight card from the previous Ravnica block, and there's also Thrash//[Threat] from this one.

There's been some other red fight cards but not as frequent as green getting one nearly every set.

Look at this loving idiot who forgot about alpha brawl

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Dr. Stab posted:

Well, just that if an LGS was required to pay judges the same amount as premier events (a union would necessitate this for some reason) then they would either go out of business or not have judges anymore.

A well known fact: all union jobs pay the same. My job single-handedly keeping a steel mill running pays exactly the same as the janitors.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I went to a cookout this weekend and they had these dope turkish kabob skewers. I was super jealous of the Bolas one.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
A guy at our lgs lost his poo poo that there wasn't a judge for a pptq and our lgs will no longer be holding larger organised events.

Also possibly no more modern events at all because they don't encourage selling of packs. And possibly no more casual modern in store because that also doesn't encourage selling of packs. Standard and prereleases only.

Only lgs within 60+ miles :(

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
https://twitter.com/efropoker/status/1161024838825197568

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

I'm about almost done with this so far. It's bad. This is really bad.

A few notes:
1. Tim Shields used to work at WotC. How has this not come up anywhere?
2. 10 annual judge foils, 2 for conferences only.
3. THEY ALREADY KNOW WHAT THOSE FOILS ARE. THE MAN WHO OWNS A STORE. Is that a conflict of interest? Not if we don't address it! But rest assured they're even cooler than the ones for this year.
4. They don't seem to have a plan for like, anything. Almost everything they talk about is "we expect," "I think," "we want," "people are looking into." Store sponsorship, how to operate in other countries, payment plans, tests for judgeship. Nothing.
5. They don't have tests. I know I just said that above but they don't have tests. They start in a month and a half. And they don't have tests.
6. "You can have a union and we are not going to do anything at all to stand in the way"
7. "We need to pay people. We're not going to ask them to work for free." (We're going to ask them to pay us first, then we're going to pay them.)
8. He's talking about judges helping stores teach players to play the game and... helping them set up streaming???? Apparently judges are now supposed to be living ads?
9. THEY DON'T HAVE TESTS THEY DON'T HAVE THE ONE THING THEY NEED TO CERTIFY JUDGES
10. The host just brought up that every question has been answered with some variation "we're working on this." Shields is talking about how they should have had 1-1.5 years to work on it but they had 4.5 months. He sold his power to pay for it.
11. "Please be willing to extend some trust to us. We're gonna figure this out." Talk about inspiring.
12. No possibility of ever becoming non-profit. Because of game publishers "organizations were not willing to contract with us... extremely restrictive with what they could do with non-profits." They're set up to be restrictive in what money that can give to what non-profits and they can't meet the guidelines for all the different corporations. Also didn't want to take funds away from other non-profits like the Red Cross. Apparently they can't just give money to both? I guess this one really isn't his fault. Sounds like he tried to make it a non-profit from the start, and the host is backing him up.
13. Dues going to "salaries, paying people to create content with a little sliver going to the programming side, but... the world of programming has changed so much it's not that expensive to get the programming done." :thunk: Also conferences.
14. It's not our business what people working there are going to make.
15. They'll have 10 "community managers." They will not be full time.
16. "Are other games going to be supported at launch?" "Yes. I believe so." Keyforge apparently. Going to use magic judge skills to support esports..... somehow?
17. He's conflating trust with faith. He somehow thinks trust isn't trust if you've already earned it? Isn't that what trust is?
18. They'll be back closer to October 1st when they start.

And the interview part is over.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Yeah this pretty much sums it up for me too. The formats all suck, the gameplay is bad and has been for a while but it's the closest thing I have to regular time with friends and it's still fun playing with them when there's no prizes in the line because missing a 3rd land in 15 cards 3 games in a row doesn't matter. It's actually pretty funny when you're not losing $30 in credit to it.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Squinky v2.0 posted:

*raises hand and shouts "JUDGE"*

whats the difference between pyroblast and red elemental blast

Assuming you're not being facetious w.r.t. the whole Judge Academy shitshow, the difference is due to the way they're worded. REB/BEB need to target the appropriate colored spell upon declaration of the counter mode (because they say "Counter target blue/red spell"), whereas Pyroblast/Hydroblast can target any spell, but don't do anything unless it's the right color upon resolution ("Counter target spell if it's blue/red").

As for the whole Judge Academy situation, I gotta say I'm really put off by the whole thing. I knew about the lawsuit from judges a few years back, saw a bunch of other games dump their volunteer programs like they had The Plague (looking at you specifically, WarmaHordes), but never knew how it turned out until recently. Even still, I was talking to one of the local game store managers during the EDH night a while back, and he was pushing me to actually take the test to become a level 1 judge. Like, I've been playing off and on since around Weatherlight/Mirage era, I know my poo poo, but I've never gone through the official channels to actually become a judge for Magic. And then the whole Judge Academy news drops, and yeah, I'm not really feeling super cool about dropping a hundo plus to some random nerds (who definitely seem to be running this as a profit machine, as per suicidesteve's posts) just to start to get my foot in the door "officially". Hell, I don't know anyone who's really super on-board with all of this, current judges or otherwise. I'm sure there's some super hardcore people who wanna get neat judge foils, but considering we're apparently less than two months away from starting the whole venture and there's very little done and set in stone, I wouldn't touch this poo poo with a 20-foot-pole.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

I wonder how much this dude is being paid to make something that really sounds like it is meant to fail

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I think black and white should get counter spells, say by taxation effects and attaching life costs or otherwise being conditional in ways blue doesn't have to be. White already has Mana Tithe and Dawn Charm. Like how most colours can tutor but only black is unconditional.

Really they need to take a good look at how blue plays to be less negative.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Veil of summer is a good counterspell

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

I think black and white should get counter spells, say by taxation effects and attaching life costs or otherwise being conditional in ways blue doesn't have to be. White already has Mana Tithe and Dawn Charm. Like how most colours can tutor but only black is unconditional.

Really they need to take a good look at how blue plays to be less negative.

Why? White also literally already gets tax effects lmao.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

suicidesteve posted:

12. No possibility of ever becoming non-profit. Because of game publishers "organizations were not willing to contract with us... extremely restrictive with what they could do with non-profits." They're set up to be restrictive in what money that can give to what non-profits and they can't meet the guidelines for all the different corporations. Also didn't want to take funds away from other non-profits like the Red Cross. Apparently they can't just give money to both? I guess this one really isn't his fault. Sounds like he tried to make it a non-profit from the start, and the host is backing him up.

its 100000000% bullshit

to make clear what you can do with non-profits: the NFL was a non-profit, until the head of the league got mad at people reading his salary off the disclosure forms

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Blue legit still makes me a little salty at times as the only color with a mechanic (Countering spells) that they treat as a color's sacred cow

targeted discard

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

suicidesteve posted:

13. Dues going to "salaries, paying people to create content with a little sliver going to the programming side, but... the world of programming has changed so much it's not that expensive to get the programming done." :thunk: Also conferences.

LOL they're gonna throw a job on Upwork, get something back that's total poo poo and call it a day

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

:laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo:

Reddit posted:

bprill

-2 points
·
9 hours ago
structurally, an employee of Judge Academy, L3 /u/bprill

Need to clarify this...Im not an employee, any more than hiring a plumber to fix a faucet makes them your employee. I do have a contract for the Board of Advisers, but the scope of that hardly qualifies as employment. Its like 'a group they can ask questions to that are outside their direct organization' The whole point of it is to be outside their org and tell them when we think something they are doing is dumb.

This is the person running the podcast. These are the folks wanting to grift money. At this point I can't find anyone who is outspokenly for the program who isn't getting a paycheck from JA.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Aug 13, 2019

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

7. The people they're paying are not the people who are paying them. They are in no way related to judge employment or compensation (paraphrased).

12. They're probably right in the existence of restrictive corporate giving guidelines, but this ignores the fact that they can just sell things to non-profits. Collect a sales tax certificate (or don't) and you're good to go. This answer is outright intended to deceive.

14. Tying into the above, there aren't really any restrictions on what a privately held for-profit can do, corporately. If they wanted to be a non-profit nothing's stopping them from operating like one with the associated transparency and disclosures. Whether this is primarily to hide the rake or the fact that Wizards is providing material support in the form of foils at below market value I can't say, though both are factors.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

evilweasel posted:

its 100000000% bullshit

to make clear what you can do with non-profits: the NFL was a non-profit, until the head of the league got mad at people reading his salary off the disclosure forms

FIFA is still a nonprofit.

The line about not wanting to compete with the Red Cross is the dumbest poo poo

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I went to a cookout this weekend and they had these dope turkish kabob skewers. I was super jealous of the Bolas one.

Armenian food is delicious yes.

Also am I the only one curious about modern horizons additions to soul sisters? I think the new tutor dude and Serra might be interesting and even that goofy 1ww enchantment that turns into a 3/3 flyer is a cool budget option maybe if you are not into buying $10 mythics

If magic dies I'm going to own a playset of every card, ope

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Sickening posted:

:laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo:

This is the person running the podcast. These are the folks wanting to grift money. At this point I can't find anyone who is outspokenly for the program who isn't getting a paycheck from JA.

Why can't they just shut up? There's obviously no benefit for them to keep talking about this outside of venues where they can be sure they won't get tough questions and enough people are going to sign up to get the grift off the ground anyway. Even if the people running JA are really too incompetent to understand that you'd think at some point the word would come down from Hasbro for them to stop making things worse.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Mat Cauthon posted:

Why can't they just shut up? There's obviously no benefit for them to keep talking about this outside of venues where they can be sure they won't get tough questions and enough people are going to sign up to get the grift off the ground anyway. Even if the people running JA are really too incompetent to understand that you'd think at some point the word would come down from Hasbro for them to stop making things worse.

The grift doesnt work unless enough people buy into it that CFB is capable of saying "we will only use JA certified judges at our events". If the public mood is so bad that that's impossible, they're almost forced to try damage control

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

cheetah7071 posted:

The grift doesnt work unless enough people buy into it that CFB is capable of saying "we will only use JA certified judges at our events". If the public mood is so bad that that's impossible, they're almost forced to try damage control

They'll get through the first year no-problem, with all the mtgfinance gurus salivating in the corner at those judge foils. Of course, once it turns out that Print on Demand cards don't really hold their price, especially with everyone knowing exactly how much they were bought for originally and how to purchase their own, they'll have bigger issues.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Next MODO cube is a grixis cube

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
How many games of Modern do you think you could win with a deck designed to exile the opponent's wincons as quickly as possible?

I'm imagining some combo of Chancellor Of The Spires and Extirpate effects: Archive Trap, Surgical Extraction etc

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Barry Shitpeas posted:

targeted discard

That's fair

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Mardu cube seems like it'd be even more fun but at least the lack of green will stop CFB cube videos from featuring UG ramp goodstuff 95% of the time

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Also baking some targeted discard into Black's usual suit of stuff (like kill spells) works out pretty nice. Legion's End has been getting some play and it's definitely better than it looks on paper, even with the CMC restriction.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Barry Shitpeas posted:

targeted discard
The top 5 pieces of countermagic for seeing play are all blue. And pretty much always are in every format. That's protected idea space.

Targeted discard? 3/5 are black. Not really the same.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
did you read targeted discard as targeted removal or am I just forgetting how magic works?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

mossyfisk posted:

did you read targeted discard as targeted removal or am I just forgetting how magic works?

Smgdh are you forgetting about Amnesia? Cephalid Looter? Compulsive Research?!?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I assume they mean Vendilion Clique as one of their two but I don't know what the other would be

Elyv fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Aug 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Spiderdrake posted:

The top 5 pieces of countermagic for seeing play are all blue. And pretty much always are in every format. That's protected idea space.

Targeted discard? 3/5 are black. Not really the same.

Thoughtseize, Inquisition, Cabal Therapy, Hymn, and Duress. :thunk:

Yup. I see what you mean there.