Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facehammer
Mar 11, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

You're missing the point. The point is very few people are smart enough to have much worth saying outside their field. Being a computer toucher doesn't give you an insight into society and politics or economics or anything else but touching computers.

Quite the opposite, if anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
:thunk: bad news for everyone mocking scottish independence itt

https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/1161241650464792579?s=20

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

AceOfFlames posted:

Then what are the only "worthy" fields then? Are we just supposed to turn our backs in technology and go back to tribalism and clean each other with leaves? Or just stop here and create an entirely static society not learning anything about the world around us and smoking weed until the climate kills us all or the Sun swallows they are Earth? I'd rather complete extinction that an eternal dark age.

The "dark age" was just when the Western Europeans stopped writing down stuff so much. It wasn't actually a long night full of horrors yknow

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol at being such an egomaniac your own parents call you one

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Tarnop posted:

I love a jet-black catte :3:

Then you'll enjoy this picture of Jimmy "helping me work"

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

mate I would kill for my own shipping crate to live in.

Move to America mate.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I can't think of many things more egomaniacal than "I would rather everyone died than my star trek fanfiction didn't come true"

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Jose posted:

Actual exchange after that.

"How the hell is not trashing people signs of egomania? What else do you have?"
"Well, I have never seen you give anything to the poor."
"I give online all the time! When was the last time YOU gave something to the poor?"
"Well, I haven't done it in years..."

Trust me you do NOT want to sign with them. They say some horrendously racist and fash things in front me on the reg.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jose posted:

Maybe he just assumed they were talking about him?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
From the Dark Age to the Dank Age

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Bobstar posted:

Then you'll enjoy this picture of Jimmy "helping me work"

My former secretary. I fired her for sleeping on the job.
Sadly, she now sleeps permanently beneath a mango tree in far off distant lands along with her brother.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

OwlFancier posted:

I can't think of many things more egomaniacal than "I would rather everyone died than my star trek fanfiction didn't come true"

Something something giant meteorite wiping out life.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

My former secretary. I fired her for sleeping on the job.
Sadly, she now sleeps permanently beneath a mango tree in far off distant lands along with her brother.

A good catte, RIP.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

"I would rather everyone on the planet die than think that we won't have a robot I can put my dick in soon."
Thanks I now have a campaign slogan.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Good cats all.

Here's a huge black cat that lives near me.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

AceOfFlames posted:

Then what are the only "worthy" fields then? Are we just supposed to turn our backs in technology and go back to tribalism and clean each other with leaves?
Technology isn't the problem, it's people being douches and acting superior because they have tech careers. The prime example of this is Elon Musk starting off attempting to rescue trapped kids, and ending up in court for calling the guy who could actually save them a pedo, because he stole his thunder.

Also because techbros smugly crow about making the world better, but estimates have bitcoin worldwide using up more power than some countries, not to mention tech companies like Google and Amazon now hoarding billionaire levels of resources.

StarkingBarfish posted:

This skewers them pretty well. Further up it mentions how they're radicalised in much the same way as the gammons: pining for a time that never really existed, and if it did exist was solely to their benefit at the expense of the growing number of impoverished.
I was reading a thing on /r/polandball last night about the decline of the british car industry which imploded about 1973, just before we joined the EU. I think personally that a lot of the gammon anti-EU sentiment comes from a place which experienced the consequences of that collapse, the collapse of the mining industry and the subsequent Thatcherite purge of working class careers.

I think it's very easy for gammons to conflate joining the EU with the death of British industry, and by extension the idea that leaving the EU will take us back to the glory days of pre 1973. But the British motor industry is dead, mining is dead, manufacturing is dead.

And I think the FBPEs are doing exactly the same thing with the Brexit referendum, only their 'glory days' are when the piss and poo poo never rose high enough to affect their middle class lives.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Technology isn't the problem, it's people being douches and acting superior because they have tech careers. The prime example of this is Elon Musk starting off attempting to rescue trapped kids, and ending up in court for calling the guy who could actually save them a pedo, because he stole his thunder.

Also because techbros smugly crow about making the world better, but estimates have bitcoin worldwide using up more power than some countries, not to mention tech companies like Google and Amazon now hoarding billionaire levels of resources.

quote:

The real emancipatory potential of technology remains unrealized. Fed by the market, its rapid growth is offset by bloat, and elegant innovation is surrendered to the buyer, whose stagnant world it decorates.
Beyond the noisy clutter of commodified cruft, the ultimate task lies in engineering technologies to combat unequal access to reproductive and pharmacological tools, environmental cataclysm, economic instability, as well as dangerous forms of unpaid/underpaid labour.
Gender inequality still characterizes the fields in which our technologies are conceived, built, and legislated for, while female workers in electronics (to name just one industry) perform some of the worst paid, monotonous and debilitating labour. Such injustice demands structural, machinic and ideological correction.

Tech good, current distribution bad.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

All those attitudes are terrible. Unfortunately I just don't understand why hiding by my social circle online and IRO I am apparently the only person on the planet who thinks "technology as a whole is good, engineering is a good and necessary profession but Bitcoin is stupid, Elon Musk is an idiot and technology should serve people and we should not abuse workers for progress."

^ Finally, I found someone! :respek:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Guavanaut posted:

Good cats all.

Here's a huge black cat that lives near me.

Does he often wear shoes?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Only ones that match his coat.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

AceOfFlames posted:

All those attitudes are terrible. Unfortunately I just don't understand why hiding by my social circle online and IRO I am apparently the only person on the planet who thinks "technology as a whole is good, engineering is a good and necessary profession but Bitcoin is stupid, Elon Musk is an idiot and technology should serve people and we should not abuse workers for progress."

^ Finally, I found someone! :bump:

Everyone thinks technology should serve people, the problem is it almost never does. There's a reason wages stopped growing with productivity from the 80s onwards.

TL;DR Ned Ludd wasn't wrong

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Silicon Valley was a show with some great moments

quote:

I don't want to live in a world where someone else is making the world a better place better than we're making the world a better place

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I'm enjoying "ALL BREXIT VOTERS MUST DIE" guy being mad at people making generalisations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

Everyone thinks technology should serve people, the problem is it almost never does. There's a reason wages stopped growing with productivity from the 80s onwards.

TL;DR Ned Ludd wasn't wrong
Ned Ludd wasn't wrong, but the point wasn't smashing the frames, it was smashing the privately owned frames until suitable worker-controlled work could be provided to the villages that the villagers wouldn't starve.

Luddism has been recast as "primitive Midlands yokels smashed the weaving frames because they were jealous/stupid/scared" because if you talk about the last bit then that's communism.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Ned Ludd wasn't wrong, but the point wasn't smashing the frames, it was smashing the privately owned frames until suitable worker-controlled work could be provided to the villages that the villagers wouldn't starve.

Luddism has been recast as "primitive Midlands yokels smashed the weaving frames because they were jealous/stupid/scared" because if you talk about the last bit then that's communism.

Yes, that's my point. Technology is far too often used to drive down wages and cut employees rights back and even cut the workforce. The problem isn't technology, it's the economic system.

And thus full luxury gay space communism.

We should be working less and paid more per hour because of advances in automation but instead capital has increased its cut and workers are left being poorly paid in jobs that have no real purpose. Working in call centres loving sucks OP.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

This amused me for the near exact parallel:

David Hume musing on the limitations of human reason in 1739 posted:

'Tis not contrary to reason to prefer the destruction of the whole world to the scratching of my finger

Tech-bros should read more humanities and less XKCD is my hot take

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
https://twitter.com/DawnHFoster/status/1161247526130860032?s=19

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
What's up goons. Call to action for the 24th of August: Danny Tommo and his merry band of racist loving idiots are back to protest Steve Waxy Lemons imprisonment. They were here 3rd of August and although we managed to out up a decent display we need numbers. If any of you can be in London that day your presence would be appreciated.

Like London Anti Fascist Assembly on FB for updates (NOT Stand Up To Racism, they're running a separate trot event agreed with the police).

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jakabite posted:

(NOT Stand Up To Racism, they're running a separate trot event agreed with the police).

Is there a more perfectly Trot statement? SUTR is one of 18000 SWP fronts right?

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

Blair only appears once but mandelson is in 10 time

https://twitter.com/saluspopuliorg/...ingawful.com%2F

I really want this to go somewhere but I suspect it's gonna be another panama papers / operation yewtree situation, where faced with incontrovertible evidence of massive amounts of financial crimes / noncery the powers that be will shrug (because they love to engage in both).

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I was reading a thing on /r/polandball last night about the decline of the british car industry which imploded about 1973, just before we joined the EU. I think personally that a lot of the gammon anti-EU sentiment comes from a place which experienced the consequences of that collapse, the collapse of the mining industry and the subsequent Thatcherite purge of working class careers.

I think it's very easy for gammons to conflate joining the EU with the death of British industry, and by extension the idea that leaving the EU will take us back to the glory days of pre 1973. But the British motor industry is dead, mining is dead, manufacturing is dead.

And I think the FBPEs are doing exactly the same thing with the Brexit referendum, only their 'glory days' are when the piss and poo poo never rose high enough to affect their middle class lives.

I think that this is one of the issues where Corbynism is getting the blame for the increase in racism and so on.
Corbyn's leadership also coincides pretty much with Brexit, and I dare say there are some fundamental reasons why both occurred around the same time (general disillusionment with the status quo).
My 2p is obviously on Brexit being the major cause of the rise in overt racism. (Ed*) Others, patently, see it differently. The constant crying in the wilderness of the statistician that 'correlation does not equal causation' goes unheard.

*Ed: badly phrased. Falling foul of my own argument! I should say the factors giving rise to brexit under lie the rise in racism rather than brexit itself being a cause. I think brexit has legitimised the overtness.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Aug 13, 2019

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Private Speech posted:

Something something giant meteorite wiping out life.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Facehammer posted:

Quite the opposite, if anything.

And computer touchers and engineers are infamous for attempting to apply their skills in their field to stuff completely outside it, which has terrible consequences for us all. Someone attempting to apply sociological theories to hard science (*cough* Lacan *cough* Sokal affair *cough*) is just an irritating distraction, but Facebook claiming (whether or not they actually believe it) that more data and observation and algorithms can solve homelessness and global warming is contributing to the dystopian libertarian nightmare that we live in.

AceOfFlames posted:

I thought the whole point of progressivism is to live in a society where no one is mocked for anything other than causing explicit harm to others (in which point fire away with extreme prejudice).

This is really weird to me - there's nothing about leftism that stops you making fun of people - the problem is when humour is used as a way to oppress and reject people's opinions. My lab is very international in its makeup, and everyone is constantly ribbing each other for dumb poo poo their country does, or when they inadvertently embrace a national stereotype with gusto.

Look at the Last Leg for a good example. Mocking the disabled is an awful thing to do, but jokes can be a way for people to build solidarity and show support for the difficulties they all face.

Also, some of the stuff they come out with is savage

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Hope you’re all doing well, here’s a cat I’m looking forward to cuddling on Friday

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Strom Cuzewon posted:

And computer touchers and engineers are infamous for attempting to apply their skills in their field to stuff completely outside it, which has terrible consequences for us all.

I've been running Valgrind on the electorate for months but I still haven't managed to stop Brexit.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Tesseraction posted:

I've been running Valgrind on the electorate for months but I still haven't managed to stop Brexit.

Well yeah, valgrind just tells you which ones are Leavers, you still gotta fire up emacs, edit them out then recompile Britain.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

Is there a more perfectly Trot statement? SUTR is one of 18000 SWP fronts right?

They're peak Trot yeah. Yep, along with UAF. LAFA is the banner under which serious antifash in London now unite.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

Yes, that's my point. Technology is far too often used to drive down wages and cut employees rights back and even cut the workforce. The problem isn't technology, it's the economic system.

And thus full luxury gay space communism.
Last of the Luddites is an interesting book about the whole affair and wider themes of mechanization and anarchism, or the competing conspiracy theory of the time/capitalism working as normal that they were all in the pay of sinister Nottingham rivals.
Plus lots of Leicestershire trivia and minutae that everyone (five people from Charnwood) loves.

Jakabite posted:

(NOT Stand Up To Racism, they're running a separate trot event agreed with the police).
lmao, of course :discourse:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Thread-adjacent, poo poo in India is getting really sketchy. A friend of mine was emailed this:

quote:

I have not been able to contact my family for over a week . The Indian government has completely blocked everything and are completely misinforming the Indian public and the international community.

This is our only platform to raise awareness and put pressure on the Indian government. Please help

TWITTER CAMPAIGN

A Twitter campaign has been organized for today. Please support the initiative by participating during the below mentioned times.

Please use #StandwithKashmir

Tweets are available through the below link and will be generated automatically. You can use the link to make your own tweet in the first blank box. Topic for today is “Remove Kashmir Blockade”

https://tinyurl.com/kashmircampaign

Tuesday 13 th Aug (Australian date/ time)
NZ: 12 mid night-2am
Australia: 10pm-12 mid night
Malaysia, Singapore: 8pm-10pm
Thailand: 7-9 pm
Kashmir and rest of India: 5:30-7:30 pm
United Arab Emirates: 4-6 pm
Germany, Switzerland: 2-4pm
United Kingdom: 1-3 pm
US (East Coast, Boston, Ohio, New York, Rochester): 8-10am
Pacific time-5-7am

I don’t use twitter but thought I’d post this here in case anyone can/will support the campaign.

Sharing it here for a signal boost, if you do the Tweets please help out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
This is Kebab. He likes to comment on slides.