Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
"Human empathy for others has less effect if you practice!" :devil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

I’m sure there are tons of techbros jerking off while watching this.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah, it's less about letting the victims down nicely, and more about dulling the emotional impact of layoffs on management by making them feel formulaic and routine, by gamifying the process.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
If that succeeds, I bet they're going to have version for ICE agents separating children from their parents.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
"You killed my father!"

> Yeah, RIP
> No Juanito, your father passed away in a bullet-related incident involving one of our guards
> *Renegade option*

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

For a minute I read that as "shooting someone" and thought "how is this news?"

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Lately when I use Facebook these advertisements keep popping up from Yahoo telling me to get a job at a burglary company or change my career to Mike Ehrmantraut or something.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

Lately when I use Facebook these advertisements keep popping up from Yahoo telling me to get a job at a burglary company or change my career to Mike Ehrmantraut or something.

Yahoo is just getting ahead of the curve on the upcoming global collapse.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Neo Rasa posted:

The imminent collapse of civilisation opens up exciting new opportunities in being a Work From Home Druid!

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/sarahfrier/status/1161355378858135552

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://twitter.com/kateleth/status/1161050656532094977

IIRC the founder walked away with nine digits in cash.

e: Facial recognition is totally ready for prime time

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Aug 13, 2019

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
In all seriousness I think this is a good illustration of how "unicorns" getting bought out for billions has never really made business sense. It's almost more about bringing prestige to the brand who performed the buyout by showing off how they can spend a billion plus on another site, build that reputation of being the sort of company to work for that's so important that they can toss the cash around.

I mean poo poo, Yahoo itself was cut down to $4.5 billion or so as the purchase price for everything Verizon got just 2 years ago, after being able to toss $1 billion at Tumblr in 2013.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

This child is going to go far.

quote:

A surly teenager has taken the rise of increasingly powerful smart home devices to its logical conclusion – tweeting from her family’s smart fridge after her mother confiscated her phone.

The 15-year-old Ariana Grande fan known only as “Dorothy” was barred from using her phone but managed to find a number of innovative ways to reach her thousands of followers – a handheld Nintendo device, a Wii U gaming console, and finally, her family’s LG Smart Refrigerator.

Ah, yes, IoT.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

To be fair, most politicians should get flagged as criminals based on hundreds of years of history.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
Yahoo was GINORMOUS for what felt like a year but was probably almost a decade.(?) I forget, because I grew up with Google search and Gmail. Ive always thought Yahoo's products sucked and were hard to use.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

fishmech posted:

In all seriousness I think this is a good illustration of how "unicorns" getting bought out for billions has never really made business sense. It's almost more about bringing prestige to the brand who performed the buyout by showing off how they can spend a billion plus on another site, build that reputation of being the sort of company to work for that's so important that they can toss the cash around.

I have been employed at, and am bitter, about many, many buyout disasters, but Google buying Youtube turned out to be good for corporations, if not for the rest of the world.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

anonumos posted:

Yahoo was GINORMOUS for what felt like a year but was probably almost a decade.(?) I forget, because I grew up with Google search and Gmail. Ive always thought Yahoo's products sucked and were hard to use.
Yahoo! was what AOL was, only without the provider access fee.

I.e. they provided a free email, free user interest groups, and their webcrawler/search thing made it so they could position their Yahoo brands well (Yahoo Autos).

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

#CantSilenceUs

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

anonumos posted:

yah google didn't hit until I was in high school, prior to that web searches were insanely hard to do

it was way way more useful to go to Yahoo or Altavista's human-curated yellow-pages style index of websites when you were looking for information on any topic

I did Science Olympiad in high school, and before google one of the events was called "Search the Web", where you were given a list of obscure questions and had to find the answers. The hardest question on the test was always something like "What's the name of [test preparer's] dog?", and you had to find some dude's obscure .edu/~username/ website

the last year they did it was the first year that Google was public- because there were scads of like ten-way ties of people who just plugged the questions right from the test into goog and got the correct answer on the first page

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Sure. "Misidentified".

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

anonumos posted:

Yahoo was founded in 95 and already absolutely huge by 96. They also had the well deserved reputation of being one of the "we'll buy out all sorts of poo poo like AOL and Microsoft and eBay and (soon) Google.

And even when they stopped being particularly cutting-edge they had a massive existing user base for all sorts of services. They were kinda expected to settle into being like IBM or Microsoft had already become - a stable mature company that doesn't get all that much growth but rakes in an absurd amount of steady income.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I have been employed at, and am bitter, about many, many buyout disasters, but Google buying Youtube turned out to be good for corporations, if not for the rest of the world.

It's not like any other owner or video site would have been "better for the world" when it comes to letting everyone watch a shitload of video.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

fishmech posted:

It's not like any other owner or video site would have been "better for the world" when it comes to letting everyone watch a shitload of video.

Does YouTube actually make money for Google? I thought for a long time that YouTube was a money loser for Google, even with all the ads and tech resources to develop and optimize, because the bandwidth and server costs were so large.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I'm going to invent a time machine so I can go back in time and invent Tumblr. Or Groupon and take the buyout money.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Peanut Butler posted:

yah google didn't hit until I was in high school, prior to that web searches were insanely hard to do

I did Science Olympiad in high school, and before google one of the events was called "Search the Web", where you were given a list of obscure questions and had to find the answers.
I remember the days when if you didn't have an AOL keyword things just didn't exist on the net.
Like Kellog cereals would tell you to Go To AOL Keyword Kellogs... it wasn't until like 97 that go to https://www.kellogs.com started being more popular.

I almost got roped into one of those scibowl things in middle school, pretty much as the "computer nerd". They handed me a paper that was like "Find the largest mountain in California", "What is the mascot for UC Santa Cruz" and I thought they were loving with me when I found them in like a minute and were floored.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

FilthyImp posted:

"Find the largest mountain in California"

Mount Shasta

by volume

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/1161609099546701825

https://twitter.com/ranimolla/status/1161620060978520064

https://twitter.com/businessinsider/status/1146491969079775232

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Doesn't this company basically just rent office space? How the hell can you screw that up so badly?

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

aware of dog posted:

Doesn't this company basically just rent office space? How the hell can you screw that up so badly?

They didn't screw it up, the founders of recent unicorns know exactly what they are doing.

https://twitter.com/HarryStebbings/status/1152004880606756864

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

aware of dog posted:

Attempting to undercut competition, gain permanent market share, and then raise prices, except the second part never happens

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Doggles posted:

They didn't screw it up, the founders of recent unicorns know exactly what they are doing.

https://twitter.com/HarryStebbings/status/1152004880606756864

Ah, of course, that makes sense.

In other news, Snap is on its third try to get people to buy their stupid camera glasses

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

aware of dog posted:

Turns out long term liabilities and short term income is a bad business model

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i wish i could come up with one of these ideas that doesn't work so i could extract tens of millions from vc ghouls.

groupon not taking the buyout was stupid as hell even if they'd kept growing.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Badger of Basra posted:

Turns out long term liabilities and short term income is a bad business model

There are other companies that rent office space long term and take on short term renters. There is profit to be made in offering liquidity to the office rental market. The problem is, like Uber, this core idea doesn’t scale and that means the founders and initial investors will be stuck running a business for decades hoping that their investment pays off modestly. In the current environment they have the option of making ridiculous promises and trying to get out as billionaires before the scam ends. And the latter sounds way more appealing. So here we are. Creative destruction is a wonderful market force, as long as you get paid first.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
My only problem with people starting businesses to scam VC investors like this is that I'm not profiting from it.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
Yeah, christ even 1% of the take of any one of these bullshit scams could net me enough money to never work again in my life and live in considerable luxury.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/voxdotcom/status/1161658763771858944?s=21

This is a pretty funny article. IWG has more members, locations, space, and turns a profit but is valued at 1/10 of WeWork because TECH TECH TECH TECH

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Pulcinella posted:

Does YouTube actually make money for Google? I thought for a long time that YouTube was a money loser for Google, even with all the ads and tech resources to develop and optimize, because the bandwidth and server costs were so large.
Google doesn't release breakout numbers. The press coverage assumes that advertising revenue is substantial, and Google, like Microsoft or Amazon, has refined server and bandwidth costs down to a farthing per megaglop.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

ryonguy posted:

Yeah, christ even 1% of the take of any one of these bullshit scams could net me enough money to never work again in my life and live in considerable luxury.

Yes, there's plenty of space for literal con-artists in the tech boom! Hope you haven't been given any ideas. :)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BarbarianElephant posted:

Yes, there's plenty of space for literal con-artists in the tech boom! Hope you haven't been given any ideas. :)

The people investing in this poo poo literally don't have anything better to do with their money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

BarbarianElephant posted:

Sadly I'm way too dumb and also stuck in the middle of the country away from rich idiots.