Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

What's going on with Toho's Godzilla project anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Waffleman_ posted:

On the other side of the Pacific, Toho and Tsubaraya have announced that Shinji Higuchi and Hideaki Anno are reuniting for Shin Ultraman, a movie that's about, well, Ultraman.

The two other Higuchi directed movies I’ve seen were pretty bad, I wonder who was responsible for what on Shin Godzilla

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Jimbot posted:

What's going on with Toho's Godzilla project anyway?

This being Toho, nobody knows anything and nobody's gonna talk if they do.

Violator
May 15, 2003

That plot outline sounds fine and is what I expected. I’m not too hot on Mecha Godzilla because I liked the more grounded G’14 and Kong, but KoTM already has taken us in that direction so it’s too late to go back.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Evangelion: 3.0+1.0 just got delayed again. :v:

The release actually said Anno would fully join the production once that's finished. Ultraman's in first draft of script right now.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

A GvK movie with Mecha Godzilla but no Mechani-Kong? Bullshit of the highest order, I say.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Was re-reading Half-Century War:

huh. Weird.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
lot of confused people gonna show up in this thread when Dora comes out

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Cythereal posted:

I've seen a very bare-bones supposed leak of the basic outline of Godzilla vs Kong floating around the internet this evening. Who knows if it's accurate or just a rumor.

Supposedly, after the disaster in-setting that was King of the Monsters, Monarch has been driven underground and the governments of the world are determined to kill Godzilla. To this end, they've found one kaiju and created two more: King Kong, Mechagodzilla, and Destroyah, here simply called The Destroyer. Monarch is mostly incidental in the movie until the human protagonists get Godzilla and Kong to make peace and take out Mecha and Destroyah for the film's big finish. The other kaiju from King are referenced and shown very briefly in a montage, but play no part in the film.

That doesn't sound very good but it does sound about par for the course

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

dentist toy box posted:

That doesn't sound very good but it does sound about par for the course

If it's true, I will have kinda predicted this back in December 2018 lmao.

teagone posted:

Godzilla and Kong gonna team up to fight Destroyah or whatever ultra-MUTO thing. Godzilla will die in the fight, enabling Kong to claim his title of King.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Got thinking about a sorta Kaiju movie I remember watching around ten years ago. It had dragons in it and other big monsters and it was basically like a Korean or Indonesian version of Godzilla Final Wars if it had a budget of two cents and a mountain of cocaine. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Arcsquad12 posted:

Got thinking about a sorta Kaiju movie I remember watching around ten years ago. It had dragons in it and other big monsters and it was basically like a Korean or Indonesian version of Godzilla Final Wars if it had a budget of two cents and a mountain of cocaine. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

2007 South Korean Dragon Wars D-War

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Burkion posted:

2007 South Korean Dragon Wars D-War

Yes! That's the one. I remember watching it and laughing my rear end off at how absurd it got.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I thought for sure that answer was a joke

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Chronojam posted:

I thought for sure that answer was a joke

I never joke about kaiju movies.

Only what they contain because holy poo poo Dragon Wars is a special film

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Does anyone know if the Criterion Showa set is going to have commentaries beyond the ones that were already included on G’54? It doesn’t seem lIke any of the other individual films are getting dedicated special features. I’m starting to regret selling my Classic Media DVD boxset for this reason.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Splint Chesthair posted:

Does anyone know if the Criterion Showa set is going to have commentaries beyond the ones that were already included on G’54? It doesn’t seem lIke any of the other individual films are getting dedicated special features. I’m starting to regret selling my Classic Media DVD boxset for this reason.

Sadly no, but if it's any consolation those Classic Media commentary tracks, and a bunch of other kaiju movie commentary tracks, can be found on youtube.

https://youtube.com/channel/UCY_h1wWImwwh9Fe5ck9dBRg

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

HannibalBarca posted:

Sadly no, but if it's any consolation those Classic Media commentary tracks, and a bunch of other kaiju movie commentary tracks, can be found on youtube.

That’s a shame but thanks for the link!

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Burkion posted:

I never joke about kaiju movies.

Only what they contain because holy poo poo Dragon Wars is a special film

Wikipedia posted:

At the time of its release, it was the highest-budgeted South Korean film of all time.

Wikipedia posted:

Budget: $35 million

:thunk:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You want a real trip?

Go check out, but do not watch, 2000's Yongary also from South Korea

It might be one of the worst monster movies ever made, and also isn't even the original version, which was so bad that they went and did a special version to try and make it LESS bad.

To my knowledge the original 99 cut still does not exist in a format where we can see it

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

All I remember about the original Yongary was the titular monster dancing to some surf rock riffs

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There's that one north korean movie that may technically qualify as a kaiju film, with the iron-eating monster. (funny thing is that there's a Pokemon strangely resembling said monster)

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's that one north korean movie that may technically qualify as a kaiju film, with the iron-eating monster. (funny thing is that there's a Pokemon strangely resembling said monster)

One of the only (though possibly not ONLY) kaiju movies made using slave labor!

It's easier to laugh about it because the people most in danger, the director and his family, got away

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

The original Yongary has a rather playful tone throughout, and then ends with some intense blood pouring, tail-twitching death

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
Just watched KoTM and holy poo poo the plot is so beyond stupid. Every character is a colossal idiot except for main guy who is only mostly brain-damaged so they defer to his out of thin-air assumptions. I enjoyed the gently caress out of it because of this.

Rodan looked super cool and provided a bit of variety. Pretty much the opposite of Mothra "Queen of Monsters" who was, uhhh, in the movie. The additional "titans" were okay but seemed like they wanted to save the more worthwhile ones for later introduction which is totally understandable.

The Godzilla vs Ghidorah fights were alright although I think Ghidorah's dragon heads didn't look great. There were a few really cool looking shots but nothing that compares to Godzilla cracking open the bug monsters jaws and morning breath-ing it in 2014.

It took me an hour to figure out the female lead wasn't a haggard-looking Elizabeth Olsen. Millie Bobby Brown's mouth is hanging open for almost every scene. As a fellow mouth-breather I feel for her.

It wasn't great but it wasn't Pacific Rim: Uprising either.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

denimgorilla posted:

It took me an hour to figure out the female lead wasn't a haggard-looking Elizabeth Olsen. Millie Bobby Brown's mouth is hanging open for almost every scene. As a fellow mouth-breather I feel for her.

It wasn't great but it wasn't Pacific Rim: Uprising either.

A. That's Vera Farmiga dude :raise:

B. I always have to remind myself that Millie Bobby Brown has had it rough being used as vicarious fame robot for her parents, because she annoys the poo poo out of me in Stranger Things and did the same in KotM.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

All I remember about the original Yongary was the titular monster dancing to some surf rock riffs

Yongary is not alone in that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG8shc73XOQ

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Rodan scene is the best because the other fights in the film like to cut away from the main event to follow the dumb humans. The same thing happens with the Rodan attack, except that, you know, Rodan actually is attacking the people, so cutting back to them isn't egregious.

We need more scenes in these monsterverse movies where the monsters are consciously and intentionally attacking people and cities, rather than making it collateral damage. Ghidorah got there but beyond his awakening we don't get enough time watching him trash the east coast. Seeing DC swallowed by a hurricane and a lightning storm would have been amazing, but it's on screen for all of thirty seconds.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pulgasari! It's a bit ham handed, from what I have heard.

Arcsquad12 posted:

The Rodan scene is the best because the other fights in the film like to cut away from the main event to follow the dumb humans. The same thing happens with the Rodan attack, except that, you know, Rodan actually is attacking the people, so cutting back to them isn't egregious.

We need more scenes in these monsterverse movies where the monsters are consciously and intentionally attacking people and cities, rather than making it collateral damage. Ghidorah got there but beyond his awakening we don't get enough time watching him trash the east coast. Seeing DC swallowed by a hurricane and a lightning storm would have been amazing, but it's on screen for all of thirty seconds.

That, in general, would have massively helped the movie. I think that character arcs and the kaiju action should compliment one another, instead of detracting from one another and creating jarring cuts between characters.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Watching it again at home really drove home how disappointing the monster visuals are.

The first fight is a good example of this. It’s during a snow storm at night in the arctic and the camera is mainly shooting through a broken windshield inside a helicopter being knocked around. Every monster scene has too much camera movement, too many environmental effects, and too many poor angles.

I kept thinking during the climax “this is not how I wanted to see King G fight.” Ground level shaky camera angles during a hurricane, looking up as the humans run around screaming for their daughter and dodging monster feet that are so big you can’t really tell what’s going on between the titans.

Heck, even Mothra’s big reveal had her behind a waterfall so you can’t actually see her very well.

Watching it last night I became hyper aware that you never really get a nice good long look at any of the monsters. There’s so many atmospheric effects, digital zooms, shakycam, etc. that I never got to truly appreciate much. And when you do see the monsters the camera is typically zoomed in too close. I’m guessing this was on purpose to subtly convey the monsters are so big they fill the screen, but I just kept thinking “ZOOM OUT!”

I really don’t know how you look at G14 and Skull Island and then do these kinds of scenes.

I also noticed that the camera never stops moving. Pay attention to the human scenes and the camera is always sweeping around and doing weird digital zooms. It made everything feel more frantic than it needed to be.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Have to agree.

Although the two money shots of Godzilla - rising out of the tundra and, uh, rising out of the sea - are suitably majestic and goosebump-inducing.

The score really helps. It may be the only unequivocally excellent thing in the movie

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

He is all of us

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I think I saw a crappy cg version of yongary on the syfy channel

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

God I wish there was a version of Godzilla Island with english subtitles. Even though I shouldn't really need it.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Just watched King of the Monsters. The most disappointing part was that all of the epic visuals were in the trailers. The only things that weren't spoiled for me were the hollow earth nuclear blast, and the goddam meltdown Godzilla, which was absolutely bonkers.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
thought you fellas might enjoy this, there's sometimes some decent stuff on mashup t-shirt sites and I like this one.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

HannibalBarca posted:

Sick, thanks for this.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

denimgorilla posted:

It took me an hour to figure out the female lead wasn't a haggard-looking Elizabeth Olsen..

Wow

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Finally say KOTM, and I enjoyed it. I wish they'd cut back on some of the human characters. Most of them didn't do anything and their plotlines didn't exist or go anywhere.

Like Charles Dance, he didn't really need to exist in that movie, and is introduced like a bond villain and then just turns out to be cubicle buddies with the mom or something.

I did enjoy the over the top GI Joe nature Monarch suddenly achieved compared to the last movie. Now they have giant airplane carriers and wacky machines.

And the hollow earth was cool. Its too bad the movie appears to have flopped financially, I would like more Godzilla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I mean, they're already making Kong vs Godzilla, and Toho's concrete in their plans to bring their side of it into the Reiwa era after that.

Godzilla's not going anywhere.