Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

I finally got around to playing Undertale and the ending guilt tripped me into playing it again as a pacifist. Can’t say I’ve ever had a game do that to me before, if it wasn’t on Switch I probably wouldn’t bother with another play through

Before Undertale came out, the demo presented you with this dilemma through Toriel. But it remembered your previous playthroughs and Flowey mocked you for attempting to change them. You could also find unusually cruel ways to defeat Toriel, or kill everyone except her, and unlock a ton of different endings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

I finally got around to playing Undertale and the ending guilt tripped me into playing it again as a pacifist. Can’t say I’ve ever had a game do that to me before, if it wasn’t on Switch I probably wouldn’t bother with another play through
The nice part of Undertale is that Toby will make it worth your while to play it through the pacifist way with some new content.

The weird part is that Toby developed a bunch of content for playing through the game the worst possible way.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Aug 13, 2019

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

CharlestheHammer posted:

Bernie rules get her a horse

behold a pale horse, and her name that sat on him was Berniebear, and Hell followed with her

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

It’s absolutely worth going through each route. I recommend going through the genocide route too.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

SeANMcBAY posted:

I recommend going through the genocide route too.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Toriel immediately flagged my "this person is an abuser" flags so Ill never know what its like to not kill her

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
If Toby didn't want people to play Genocide why did he make the Sans fight totally badass?? It's so confusing, in a good way. Praise Toby.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Is it really genocide if like half the killings are in self-defense?

Barudak posted:

Toriel immediately flagged my "this person is an abuser" flags so Ill never know what its like to not kill her

:chloe:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It’s so good though. It’s creepy as hell and disturbed me more than most horror games.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

No Wave posted:

If Toby didn't want people to play Genocide why did he make the Sans fightHeroine totally badass?? It's so confusing, in a good way. Praise Toby.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I like the part where Flowey insults the people who try to watch the genocide route on Youtube

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
My friend offered to sell me his Mario Kart game for £15. I don't have Nintendo online and won't get it, plus I don't have anyone to play splitscreen with. Is it still fun as a solo game for a while?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

henpod posted:

My friend offered to sell me his Mario Kart game for £15. I don't have Nintendo online and won't get it, plus I don't have anyone to play splitscreen with. Is it still fun as a solo game for a while?

Yes it's one of the best games on the Switch

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

MK8 Deluxe is like the current peak cart racer end game until someone else (prolly nintendo) spends ten years to catch up :rip:

it’s fun

slap your friend if they won’t let you try it out before handing over the pounds

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I would deffo buy Mario kart for 15 quid

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Even if you never play online or multiplayer it's a bargain at that price.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Sweet, I thought as much. Gonna grab it! :)

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

I'm gonna be the old grumpy man who says it's not really that great, especially not if you only plan on playing solo. It starts out fun and it's reasonably well made until you get to the higher speeds/more difficult cups where the best strategy is always "stay in second or third place until a ways into the last lap, then get into first shortly before the goal" because otherwise you're gonna get turbofucked a million times over.

I have difficulties remembering a game that frustrated me as much as MK8 did on Switch. The occasional blue shell or whatever I can live with, but it's always such a circus show of bullshit that happens. You never just get hit with a blue shell, it's always a blue shell and then four red shells and then someone bumps into you twice and by the time you finally get to drive again you're somehow in 8th place from leading with a minute just half a lap before and no way to catch up. And if you want to unlock everything (which admittedly is just cosmetics) you're kinda hosed if you don't get first in all races of every cup.

It's a good game, but it's a Mario Kart game with all it's flaws. You'll probably have a lot of fun with it, but know what you're getting yourself into. I got really frustrated with it by the end of it.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Yeah, I remember that from the Double Dash days, actually 'racing' and staying ahead of the pack is pretty useless, you just gotta hang back and swoop in at the last second. At least the computer AI won't know that...who knows, maybe I will finally get my gf to play a game with me, if she likes it.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011
I always go to first and stay in first. Then make sure you have a banana or a green shell to hold behind you and even the errant blue shell won't hurt you because you'll be way ahead of the competition. Only 200cc is a bit hard and requires some advanced techniques (like braking).

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
There's now an FCC Filing for a SNES controller for the Switch.

I wonder what this means...

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

It means I’ll soon be out another $60

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

abraxas posted:

I'm gonna be the old grumpy man who says it's not really that great, especially not if you only plan on playing solo. It starts out fun and it's reasonably well made until you get to the higher speeds/more difficult cups where the best strategy is always "stay in second or third place until a ways into the last lap, then get into first shortly before the goal" because otherwise you're gonna get turbofucked a million times over.

I have difficulties remembering a game that frustrated me as much as MK8 did on Switch. The occasional blue shell or whatever I can live with, but it's always such a circus show of bullshit that happens. You never just get hit with a blue shell, it's always a blue shell and then four red shells and then someone bumps into you twice and by the time you finally get to drive again you're somehow in 8th place from leading with a minute just half a lap before and no way to catch up. And if you want to unlock everything (which admittedly is just cosmetics) you're kinda hosed if you don't get first in all races of every cup.

It's a good game, but it's a Mario Kart game with all it's flaws. You'll probably have a lot of fun with it, but know what you're getting yourself into. I got really frustrated with it by the end of it.

git gud

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The Kins posted:

It means they got tired of other companies making Bluetooth snes controllers and realized Nintendo fans would buy that even if they never made a single SNES game

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Does MK8 Deluxe have the option to set up a bunch of custom rules for racing, or at least does it let you race all of the tracks in one big go? Double Dash had this, and after a bit of digging, I discovered that Mario Kart Wii also did this, as well as a few variations, if you go into VS mode. I love doing a full marathon with every track available.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The Kins posted:

Yeah, SNES games are probably coming finally next month. I’ll buy the hell out of these since I’ll get more use out of them than just playing those games. They’ll be perfect for Mario Maker.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

No Wave posted:

If Toby didn't want people to play Genocide why did he make the Sans fight totally badass?? It's so confusing, in a good way. Praise Toby.

it's not like the genocide route dissuades you from playing it, it just doesn't break verisimilitude while you're going through it and asks you exactly what you expect to get out of playing this way

for most people it's for the sake of challenge and completionism, and that's exactly what they get

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

What sucks is that I have the SN30 Pro and really, really love it, and I likely wouldn't normally care at this point if Nintendo were making their own new SNES controllers... except that it's tough to get past this lag issue with the SN30 Pro when other, official controllers are connected. On its own, it's absolutely perfect, though.

Though, counterpoint to that, these potential new SNES controllers won't have all of the features of the SN30 Pro or the Pro controller, like analog thumbsticks.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The solution is to buy three more sn30s and never use the joycons again

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

SeANMcBAY posted:

Yeah, SNES games are probably coming finally next month.

Is there any evidence for this? Or is it a guess?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I did pacifist first and the game makes you feel so so bad for trying to see another route.

I have looked it up on YouTube but I never did another route

Solarflare
Apr 21, 2008
Is there any kind of website similar to IsThereAnyDeal for Switch games? I picked up the new model last week and would like to keep an eye out for some of the backlog games that I never got a chance to play (like Breath of the Wild).

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Solarflare posted:

Is there any kind of website similar to IsThereAnyDeal for Switch games? I picked up the new model last week and would like to keep an eye out for some of the backlog games that I never got a chance to play (like Breath of the Wild).

Try https://psprices.com/region-gb/index?platform=Switch

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Toaster Beef posted:

Is there any evidence for this? Or is it a guess?

Probably still a guess just like "they'll be out at e3" was

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Solarflare posted:

dekudeals.com is the way to go if you’re in the US, has a watch list feature and tracks prices on eShop plus the main US retailers.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Are 1st party controllers for switch really worth it. I dont mind splashing out on the official controllers just because but 3rd party ones have comparatively high reviews. Don't normally trust 3rd party but man 55 quid for a controller is insane.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Len posted:

Probably still a guess just like "they'll be out at e3" was

I think it's from people assuming that, with next month being the first anniversary of NES Online (and Switch online as we currently know it), Nintendo will announce SNES Online to get a lot of people to resubscribe who might have cancelled instead.

As with a lot of other rumours, it sticks because there's some logic to it, but again... Nintendo, so who knows.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Are 1st party controllers for switch really worth it. I dont mind splashing out on the official controllers just because but 3rd party ones have comparatively high reviews. Don't normally trust 3rd party but man 55 quid for a controller is insane.

The pro controller has a magic eternal battery and is pretty comfortable.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I did pacifist first and the game makes you feel so so bad for trying to see another route.

I have looked it up on YouTube but I never did another route

i think it's more that the game makes you feel bad for trying another route if you became initially invested in it via the pacifist route, because that means you're already hung up on these video game characters' well-being and of course it would be a bit of a downer to go around massacring them after that

deltarune seems to be taking that even further - if you get invested in the characters as something more "real" than just lines of code and canned dialogue, then DR is going to make you feel like an rear end in a top hat no matter what you do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

What sucks is that I have the SN30 Pro and really, really love it, and I likely wouldn't normally care at this point if Nintendo were making their own new SNES controllers... except that it's tough to get past this lag issue with the SN30 Pro when other, official controllers are connected. On its own, it's absolutely perfect, though.

Though, counterpoint to that, these potential new SNES controllers won't have all of the features of the SN30 Pro or the Pro controller, like analog thumbsticks.
They're gonna be the ugly rear end joycon rail things. I wouldn't worry too much about it.