Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Is it racist if I use discourse chef here? I don't want to be using Mammy imagery for Italians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
You can always do an Italian accent. It's never racist.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

NAPALM STICKS TO posted:

Wait so uh does anyone actually not think Epstein was Mossad or some other intelligence service asset and the whole thing was a honeypot designed to get blackmail material on powerful people?? Zero explanations of where his money actually came from. Zero explanations of how his one man operation continued to do well despite him going to jail in 2008, the most turbulent financial year ever. Zero financial filings related to his company. Not to mention Acosta (the prosecutor who originally cut the Epstein deal in 2008):

"He’d cut the non-prosecution deal with one of Epstein’s attorneys because he had “been told” to back off, that Epstein was above his pay grade. “I was told Epstein ‘belonged to intelligence’ and to leave it alone,” he told his interviewers in the Trump transition."

Everytime I see a news article using the word suicide on their coverage of Epstein makes me feel gaslit as hell. The bullshit has never been this obvious.

Edit:

KirbyKhan fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Aug 13, 2019

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

NAPALM STICKS TO posted:

Wait so uh does anyone actually not think Epstein was Mossad or some other intelligence service asset and the whole thing was a honeypot designed to get blackmail material on powerful people?? Zero explanations of where his money actually came from. Zero explanations of how his one man operation continued to do well despite him going to jail in 2008, the most turbulent financial year ever. Zero financial filings related to his company. Not to mention Acosta (the prosecutor who originally cut the Epstein deal in 2008):

"He’d cut the non-prosecution deal with one of Epstein’s attorneys because he had “been told” to back off, that Epstein was above his pay grade. “I was told Epstein ‘belonged to intelligence’ and to leave it alone,” he told his interviewers in the Trump transition."

Where’d you get that quote from? Is it from a larger article? I’d like to read that article if you have it.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

If that is true then the state of Israel sponsored pedophilia.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

EBB posted:

If that is true then the state of Israel sponsored pedophilia.

Not even close to the worst thing that Israel’s done, sadly enough.

Hell, the CIA has used underage girls and boys before for honey pots. I don’t know if they’ve done it since say, the 70’s, maybe the 80’s But they definitely did it back in the Cold War days. You can make someone an excellent source of intelligence if you’ve got photos (Or video now) of them having sex with a child, doubly so if it’s homosexual- in some cases. It’s an effective, though abhorrent and despicable and morally indefensible, tactic.

They loved using Thai and Filipino children. It’s all out there if you search for it. It’s super loving disturbing and you’ll wish you hadn’t searched for it. But they definitely did it. Back then the thinking was that intelligence was the key to staving off global thermonuclear war and essentially the extinction of the human race. So I guess in their minds, in those days, the calculus was such that it was “acceptable.” The hubris it takes to reach that conclusion, let alone acting on it, is astounding.

I’m not convinced we “won” the Cold War at all, TBQH.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
We’ve been playing a game of Global Thermo Nuclear War for five decades now. But nobody has the patience to pay attention until the grand finale.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

The Cold War didn't end, the Russians just kept fighting it after we stopped.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

We're still in the opening phase of DEFCON

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Where’d you get that quote from? Is it from a larger article? I’d like to read that article if you have it.

it's vicky ward's piece, iirc in the daily beast

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Some oval office went crazy with a knife in Sydney downtown business district today. One woman dead, one badly injured. White guy running around shouting allah Akbar and such.

Me and my girlfriend are staying in a Airbnb just down the street and have been walking through the area of the attack daily. Thank gently caress he didn’t have access to a gun because the streets are crowded as hell.

I’ve been feeling paranoid as gently caress in large crowds after following US news too closely anyway and this doesn’t do much to alleviate that.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/rgcooke/status/...ingawful.com%2F

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Imagine getting dunked on by Don Jr.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Don Jr.......... is good???

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

LongDarkNight posted:

Imagine getting dunked on by Don Jr.

Idk man that's a mutual own at best

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I mean he is speaking from experience

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I read that as an oblivious DJ self-owning by saying that he's too stupid to realize that something might be used as a slur while simultaneously admitting that his dad has always called him the dumb one.

I don't think slurs should be balanced on a spectrum of not as bad to good. The intent was identical to walk up to someone in public and insult them in a way that was deliberately intended to hurt. I expect the result would have been the same if they walked up and said "hey cuomo you big dumb guido."

A slur is a slur, and if you insult someone on the street, well, poo poo happens. The video is just another example of when keeping it real goes wrong, and don jr. just stumbled in to say "hey my dad called me fredo all the time it just means you're the dumb brother."

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I like calling a very italian guy at work 'Pollack' because he's from Chicago. Dude's pretty chill.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/saluspopuliorg/...ingawful.com%2F

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

looks like UK gets to remain pedophile island while epstein's island can be called Kid Rock

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I mean, that IS the Mirror

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I mean, that IS the Mirror

they presumably have a bunch of them on their staff

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

FAUXTON posted:

looks like UK gets to remain pedophile island while epstein's island can be called Kid Rock

:boom:

NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

Here's the article, there's actually many articles in many publications that reference the same quote. And then Acosta answered, on TV, that he "can't address that directly" when asked if he'd ever been told Epstein had intelligence connections, while under oath during confirmation hearings.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/jeffrey-epsteins-sick-story-played-out-for-years-in-plain-sight

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
So those ICE raids where kids went to their first day of school then came home to locked doors and found out they're likely going to be orphans now?

My first thought was, "Man it's hosed up that the employees keep getting busted for this poo poo because racism but the people hiring them get away with it time and time again."

Well gently caress me sideways with a cactus, I wasn't cynical enough. The racist cruelty isn't just the point, it's also really profitable to call in an ICE raid on your own employees if they dare to do something that might even hint at being organized labor.

https://twitter.com/carterforva/sta...ingawful.com%2F

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

They had a loving job fair this week too

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
And they’ll be replaced by those “rehabilitation through work” programs.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
hey maybe capital needs to be put into guillotine. anyways have a real one with Mike Godwin.

https://twitter.com/sfmnemonic/status/1160921698142760961

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Nystral posted:

And they’ll be replaced by those “rehabilitation through work” programs.

Work will set you free, praise Jesus.

And they will collect a hundred thousand dollars a year per indentured servant.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

FAUXTON posted:

gently caress

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Was it not in this thread that I learned about special programs where people convicted of crimes go to work in assorted sweatshops for poo poo wages with horrific injury rates and if they quit, fire, or are unable to work due said injuries they get sent to jail, so they're desperate to do whatever their hosed-up poo poo supervisors say and hide the conditions of the job site? It's all a blur.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

NAPALM STICKS TO posted:

Here's the article, there's actually many articles in many publications that reference the same quote. And then Acosta answered, on TV, that he "can't address that directly" when asked if he'd ever been told Epstein had intelligence connections, while under oath during confirmation hearings.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/jeffrey-epsteins-sick-story-played-out-for-years-in-plain-sight

I read that entire article and they didn’t mention anything about connections to intelligence- was it maybe a different article?

Edit- please don’t think I’m trying to dislike you or anything, I just genuinely want to see the article that says it because hooooly poo poo if he was an asset... I don’t know what the gently caress to think anymore.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Doc Hawkins posted:

Was it not in this thread that I learned about special programs where people convicted of crimes go to work in assorted sweatshops for poo poo wages with horrific injury rates and if they quit, fire, or are unable to work due said injuries they get sent to jail, so they're desperate to do whatever their hosed-up poo poo supervisors say and hide the conditions of the job site? It's all a blur.

Yesterday.

Illegal immigrants and poor people caught up in the criminal justice system - act up, or get sick or get hurt on the job? ICE or prison for you!

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I read that entire article and they didn’t mention anything about connections to intelligence- was it maybe a different article?

Edit- please don’t think I’m trying to dislike you or anything, I just genuinely want to see the article that says it because hooooly poo poo if he was an asset... I don’t know what the gently caress to think anymore.

quote:

Epstein’s name, I was told, had been raised by the Trump transition team when Alexander Acosta, the former U.S. attorney in Miami who’d infamously cut Epstein a non-prosecution plea deal back in 2007, was being interviewed for the job of labor secretary. The plea deal put a hard stop to a separate federal investigation of alleged sex crimes with minors and trafficking.

“Is the Epstein case going to cause a problem [for confirmation hearings]?” Acosta had been asked. Acosta had explained, breezily, apparently, that back in the day he’d had just one meeting on the Epstein case. He’d cut the non-prosecution deal with one of Epstein’s attorneys because he had “been told” to back off, that Epstein was above his pay grade. “I was told Epstein ‘belonged to intelligence’ and to leave it alone,” he told his interviewers in the Trump transition, who evidently thought that was a sufficient answer and went ahead and hired Acosta. (The Labor Department had no comment when asked about this.)

On the other hand, "I was told" by a "former senior White House official" a couple years ago that Acosta said (but who was not present for the conversation)... is a pretty thin reed.

NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

joat mon posted:

On the other hand, "I was told" by a "former senior White House official" a couple years ago that Acosta said (but who was not present for the conversation)... is a pretty thin reed.

True, but I think that statement, along with the fact that when asked directly about it, Acosta didn't say "No" or "I can't recall", he said "I can't address that directly", there's quite a bit of smoke there.

EDIT: Here's a link https://www.rawstory.com/2019/07/watch-acosta-gives-a-cryptic-response-when-asked-if-jeffrey-epstein-is-an-intelligence-asset

NAPALM STICKS TO fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Aug 13, 2019

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Caveat that my brain is rapidly going galactic, but it does make sense that Epstein's whole org might have functioned as a intelligence slush fund. He had "philanthropy" tendrils around the world, an excuse to jet anywhere, contacts with everyone. And of course we can be sure the official story of him suddenly becoming a billionaire through a hedge fund no one worked at is fake. I find it more credible than the alternate theory that he was a blackmailer to the billionaires.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

All this Epstein stuff makes your brain go crack ping

https://twitter.com/WJFinlay/status...ingawful.com%2F

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
What part of our government's actions during our lifetimes makes you think they would have not only supportes but embraced a pedophile ring involving the rich

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

NAPALM STICKS TO posted:

True, but I think that statement, along with the fact that when asked directly about it under oath in confirmation hearings, Acosta didn't say "No" or "I can't recall", he said "I can't address that directly", there's quite a bit of smoke there.

EDIT: Here's a link https://www.rawstory.com/2019/07/watch-acosta-gives-a-cryptic-response-when-asked-if-jeffrey-epstein-is-an-intelligence-asset

It was last month, after the RawStory article came out.

quote:

So there has been reporting to that effect and let me say, there’s been reporting to a lot of effects in this case, not just now but over the years and, again, I would hesitate to take this reporting as fact. This was a case that was brought by our office, it was brought based on the facts and I look at the reporting and others, I can’t address it directly because of our guidelines, but I can tell you that a lot of reporting is going down rabbit holes.
https://www.rawstory.com/2019/07/watch-acosta-gives-a-cryptic-response-when-asked-if-jeffrey-epstein-is-an-intelligence-asset/
He pivoted the question to the reasons for the plea agreement and then non-answered his new question.

At least we're not talking about the four degrees of separation between Epstein and Mossad as evidence he was one of theirs.

Yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Proud Christian Mom posted:

hey maybe capital needs to be put into guillotine. anyways have a real one with Mike Godwin.

https://twitter.com/sfmnemonic/status/1160921698142760961

Mike Godwin, Nazi Decider.

brb, creating new twitter account.

Brute Squad fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Aug 13, 2019