Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006

Brawnfire posted:

Just because you poo-pooed the concept of patriarchy as "ideological" and said a world without men would be just as socially oppressive as this one

Once again, I never said any of this, you're absolutely full of poo poo lol

Edit: or maybe just loving terrible at reading and comprehension?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

ubachung posted:

Once again, I never said any of this, you're absolutely full of poo poo lol

Edit: or maybe just loving terrible at reading and comprehension?

Or you're poo poo-poor at making whatever point you think you have.

Edit: Actually, you're right. You just rolled your eyes at the suggestion of patriarchy as a factor, and then said Koalas March is ideological. For, I guess, pointing it out as a factor.

Much better.

Brawnfire has a new favorite as of 03:53 on Aug 13, 2019

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I love it when the newbie avatar is spot on.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
:backtowork: : Don’t burn your vagina!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pvt.Scott posted:

:backtowork: : Don’t burn your vagina!

But how else do you make roasties?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Rhandhali posted:

Also, you can’t quit if you are a resident. It’s not easy to walk away as an attending, but if your OK with dealing with the no compete and hauling rear end elsewhere you in theory can do that. It takes financial reserve and a lot of willingness to deal with bullshit, but you have marketable skills and permission to use them

If you are a resident? Sorry. Transferring out is incredibly hard to do. Walk out? You just walked out on the opportunity to make good on all that debt and years of schooling. You’re stuck there, period. You might not even qualify for a real medical license in a lot of states so you would just be done.

And it’s not like you just apply for a job as a trainee. You apply to places you like and if they like you, then you go on an interview. You’ll spend a few hours hanging out, meet a few people, get a guided tour of an hour or two at most. You have to make a call on what amounts to a 3-5 year commitment based on that.

When the interviews are all done you rank from first to last the places you interviewed at and would like to go. Residency programs do the same thing with applicants. You can choose not to rank a place you hated, but most people will rank everywhere they interview.

Then those lists get fed into a black box algorithm and spit out a result. Allegedly weighted towards the applicant. That result is binding. Whatever that algorithm spits out your are obliged to go there. You signed a contract that says you’ll sign the contract for whatever place you match. If you don’t, well you may not get to apply to residency again. Ever.

Upside is the residency program is obliged to take you. If a program gets a lovely resident though they can deal with that situation far easier than a resident who finds themselves in a lovely or malignant program.

Match into a program you hate? Too bad. Getting a transfer is a Massive hurdle, and you need to very careful about how you go about it. Most cases I have heard of (I know of one) involve things like death and major life changes like got married to someone who matched at another program.

If you are married to someone in the match the stakes just got higher. If they’re in a tougher field it gets a lot harder to place both of you in the same region, let alone the same hospital. Relationships do end or go on multi-year long distance hitches because of the match.

More good stuff. Thanks.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Vaginal steam treatments were getting pushed in fairly mainstream spas for a little bit.

There was also the stuffing oak galls up there that was a fad. So was glitter capsules. Yogurt's another one often used as an attempt to home remedy treat a yeast infection but since the lactobacillus in yogurt's a different strain than the one in the vagina, the remedy's no good.

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006
Speaking of genitals, this just popped up:

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2019/08/this-mans-penis-is-literally-turning-into-a-bone/

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

More good stuff. Thanks.

The normal response is to shut the gently caress up, harden the gently caress up and how dare you complain,ingrate. That, or “you’re a doctor you’re rich how can you have problems”.

It is amazing that the suicide rate among doctors and trainees is so low.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
“Public notice: University of Arizona to hold active shooter drill Wednesday, August 14.
The scenario will be performed as realistically as possible, including role players made up to look like injured victims, police officers running to the scene, and noise simulating gunfire.”

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Busket Posket posted:

“Public notice: University of Arizona to hold active shooter drill Wednesday, August 14.
The scenario will be performed as realistically as possible, including role players made up to look like injured victims, police officers running to the scene, and noise simulating gunfire.”

I would quit that college asap, good god.

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008
If I wanted to actually shoot this school I would use this exercise as cover. I get that they "advertise it" so people can mentally prepare, but someone with bad intentions could also use this information.

It's a sad world we live in.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Would not be surprised if there's absentees that day measured in the hundreds.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

If folks are interested, I wrapped up my research into one Jamake Highwater - better known as the Star Trek Voyager consultant on Native American affairs - and it was pretty illuminating how this guy got away with playing his part for so long. Details and sources contradicted each other but thanks to a bit of detective work and a few phone calls I mustered up as many facts as I could to put this together:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMmUTIp9BOs

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/Max_Fisher/status/1160950447156473856

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

The Golden Gael posted:

If folks are interested, I wrapped up my research into one Jamake Highwater - better known as the Star Trek Voyager consultant on Native American affairs - and it was pretty illuminating how this guy got away with playing his part for so long. Details and sources contradicted each other but thanks to a bit of detective work and a few phone calls I mustered up as many facts as I could to put this together:

Wait are you also CivilizationEX?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Is there a way to get past the account requirement

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Gynocentric Regime posted:

Wait are you also CivilizationEX?

Haha I'm not, but you've given me an excellent channel to look into.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The Golden Gael posted:

Your stuff is really good, thanks

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

The Golden Gael posted:

this was great. voyager is a terrible show and the native american stuff is so forced and bad. im sorry that i am an rear end in a top hat, but you pronounced chagrin in a hilarious manner at about the 11:20 mark

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
The Jane Doe known as Orange socks has been identified
https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/wilco-sheriff-victim-in-orange-socks-murder-cold-case-identified
Her name is Debra Jackson.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Hackers film 1995 posted:

this was great. voyager is a terrible show and the native american stuff is so forced and bad. im sorry that i am an rear end in a top hat, but you pronounced chagrin in a hilarious manner at about the 11:20 mark

Haha thanks guys. I probably did. I say words weird at times.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

The Golden Gael posted:

Haha I'm not, but you've given me an excellent channel to look into.

Well you are off to an awesome start, look forward to seeing future episodes!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

The Golden Gael posted:

Very good video, great analysis, loved it.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

One thing I'm trying really hard to do, which I think is important if you make a habit of reading these kinds of stories that make you go "what?", is taking a neutral tone. Pretending you're a Native American to sell books and lectures is very not cool but the more I researched into this guy the more it seemed like he really believed his own lie. He admitted to it being a fabrication of course, though I do wonder if the rock-and-roll journalist lifestyle in the '60s had some effect on his mind...

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

The Golden Gael posted:

You make good videos, keep it up.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsa...ndan-kids-105-d

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

The Golden Gael posted:

I enjoyed “Anus Nin.”

Cool video. Interesting and succinct. A suggestion I have is, when you say something like, “... or look back on with the same puzzlement some people look back on other things from the past with,” give some examples that relate in some way to the topic at hand.

Anyway, I like this kind of content. I hope you make more.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
Your presentation is excellent, clear and easily understood. A tiny bit flat, but it worked well with the just-the-facts nature of the thing. It was a nice bite-sized video, too.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

After I had a dream about the Franklin Expedition and its famous disaster - over a hundred men dead, accounts of cannibalism, the works - I looked up other incidents of cannibalism on the high seas.

Essex. A sperm whale decided to gently caress it up, sank it, and the twenty surviving crewmembers had to take to their whaling boats to survive.

quote:

The men suffered severe dehydration, starvation, and exposure on the open ocean, and the survivors eventually resorted to eating the bodies of the crewmen who had died. When that proved insufficient, members of the crew drew lots to determine whom they would sacrifice so that the others could live. A total of seven crew members were cannibalized before the last of the eight survivors were rescued, more than three months after the sinking of the Essex.

[...]

By February 1, the food on Pollard's boat was again exhausted and the survivors' situation became dire. The men drew lots to determine who would be sacrificed for the survival of the remainder. A young man named Owen Coffin, Captain Pollard's 17-year-old first cousin, whom he had sworn to protect, drew the black spot. Pollard allegedly offered to protect his cousin, but Coffin is said to have replied: "No, I like my lot as well as any other". Lots were drawn again to determine who would be Coffin's executioner. His young friend, Charles Ramsdell, drew the black spot. Ramsdell shot Coffin; Ramsdell, Pollard, and Barzillai Ray consumed the body.

StrixNebulosa has a new favorite as of 12:35 on Aug 14, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Score 17 for the whales!

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Kinda mindblowing that as a human you'd apparently rather kill and eat your buddy and spend another week just barely not starved to death and hopelessly marooned on the murderboat than go you know what dying of starvation can't be any worse than this

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Missionaries are scum and this is completely unsurprising.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Rhandhali posted:

Missionaries are scum and this is completely unsurprising.

quote:

One of her first moves was to start a blog chronicling her experiences.

why do white people blog about everything

e: The evangelical need to "save" everyone is loving disgusting. So arrogant.

venus de lmao has a new favorite as of 13:52 on Aug 14, 2019

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

The Golden Gael posted:

It's a good 'un.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I have read that Mormon women are encouraged to start mommy blogs as a means of evangelizing about traditional family values, so, I guess this isn't far off

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Bertrand Hustle posted:

e: The evangelical need to "save" everyone is loving disgusting. So arrogant.

I’ve done actual relief work, both domestic and overseas. It’s disgusting how that filth talks about these places and disasters in general - its an opportunity for their own self-aggrandizement.

I was working in a flood shelter and a bunch of these fuckers show up bringing bibles and tracts and the like. I’m sure someone might have appreciated it, but we needed clothes, toilet paper, tampons, toothpaste drugs I can actually use (the bin we had was full of ADHD amphetamine samples). They just preached and took up space. At least bring some coloring or activity books for the kids. Playing cards, hell just blank paper would be fine, anything to relieve the boredom.

You have a gymnasium full of people that have lost everything not even 5 days before. How dare you show up with only bibles and tracts and claim your doing good.

Rhandhali has a new favorite as of 14:54 on Aug 14, 2019

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Rhandhali posted:

I was working in a flood shelter and a bunch of these fuckers show up bringing bibles and tracts and the like. I’m sure someone might have appreciated it, but we needed clothes, toilet paper, tampons, toothpaste drugs I can actually use (the bin we had was full of ADHD amphetamine samples).

So haha are any of these bins like at every flood shelter or....?

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Wasabi the J posted:

So haha are any of these bins like at every flood shelter or....?

Doubt it. We were working with Red Cross at the time and I think they have stores of meds, a lot of which are donated. My theory is local clinics just emptied out their sample cabinets. Lot of exotic new drugs that nobody there could afford and I wouldn’t start anyway, I just kept people on what they were on and had lost as best as I could and gave antibiotics to people that had been exposed to the filthwater.

We had some useful stuff don’t get me wrong, big Pharmacy bottles of antibiotics and the like. The ADHD meds were an outlier and stood out because... why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Rhandhali posted:

I’ve done actual relief work, both domestic and overseas. It’s disgusting how that filth talks about these places and disasters in general - its an opportunity for their own self-aggrandizement.

I hate that believing in an afterlife leads some people to treat the real material needs of human beings as less important than "saving souls".

it's easy to say God is great when you live a relatively privileged life but the gall of trying to push that on someone whose family, friends, and neighbors don't have enough food and are dying of preventable diseases is just sickening. If I was starving and sick I'd be more inclined to listen to someone who actually helped alleviate my suffering than someone who told me I just had to believe in their god