Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Metapod posted:

Idk how labor laws work that well but can he do that?

No it's literally illegal however depending on where barstool is based he can pretty much fire them for any reason whatsoever yay "right to work"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Metapod posted:

Depends on the state but mostly yeup.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Usually they aren't dumb enough to tweet it and handle their union busting more tactfully

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

:hmmyes:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

He could do it if he wasn't dumb enough to openly tweet out that he's going to retaliate. Now, he's more or less hosed himself unless there's some other concrete reason to let a particular person go.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

2019 MLB Announcer Crew Rankings

I think Kalas is just ... blah as hell. Blummer is fun and Julia is great (though I guess they don't count anyone not in the booth?), but Kalas just bores me to death.

Wish they included the radio crews as well, Steve Sparks and Robert Ford have grown on me.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Metapod posted:

By the letter of the law no but with the current state of labor law in this country probably

If the PMT dudes were actually as woke as people pretend they are they'd call him on poo poo like this but lol

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/AFLCIO/status/1161299006074642432?s=19

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I wonder how many construction workers who could snap portnoy in half without breaking a sweat have barstool stickers on their hard hat or tool box

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
https://mobile.twitter.com/AFLCIO/status/1161302561045045248

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

No Safe Word posted:

2019 MLB Announcer Crew Rankings

I think Kalas is just ... blah as hell. Blummer is fun and Julia is great (though I guess they don't count anyone not in the booth?), but Kalas just bores me to death.

Wish they included the radio crews as well, Steve Sparks and Robert Ford have grown on me.

Kind of surprised people seem down on the Rangers; I find Dave Raymond and CJ Nitkowski pleasant enough. Tom Grieve has really benefited from the reduced number of games; he seems a lot more engaged doing 40 or 50 a year than he did when he was doing 140.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Oh dang that's hosed up

Lmao at him owning himself by breaking the law on Twitter

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

It's illegal but he's also a rich white dude and the head of the NLRB is a Trump stooge.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I had forgotten Simmons has a history of being a dumb baby about media unions because he blamed them for not being instantly handed a newspaper column back in the day

https://twitter.com/ddiamond/status/1161280437098090497?s=19

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/NYSLabor/status/1161309302080118784

Loool

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Maybe twitter should let Barstool’s employees fight their own battles, rather than being a bunch of snitches

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Dexo posted:

No it's literally illegal however depending on where barstool is based he can pretty much fire them for any reason whatsoever yay "right to work"

It’s a bit weirder than that. Basically in an at will state (different from “right to work” which is newspeak for “no union shops”) you can be fired for NO reason, not for ANY reason. You still can’t be fired (legally) for ie organizing, being black, etc

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

General Dog posted:

Maybe twitter should let Barstool’s employees fight their own battles, rather than being a bunch of snitches

:rolleyes: oh gently caress off.

I don't give much of a gently caress about barstool's labor practices, their employees could all be happy as poo poo. Even if his employees love working there. The owner or manager of a company should eat all of the loving poo poo for publicly union busting, even if no one there was thinking about it. If only as a loving example to others that it should not be and will not be tolerated.

Snitching does not loving apply to companies attacking labor rights.

So miss me with this loving bullshit.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

General Dog posted:

how are you not bored of this dumb gimmick yet

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

General Dog posted:

It’s called solidarity you bootlicker

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Yes stop snitching on Barstool, a site famous for minding its own business

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

ElwoodCuse posted:

I wonder how many construction workers who could snap portnoy in half without breaking a sweat have barstool stickers on their hard hat or tool box

Most of them probably have no clue WTF Barstool even is.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

That’s like the worst response possible. That’s a “well every firing for the next year will go to court” level bad response. That’s a “the state AG sat up in their chair” level bad response. That’s a “fire this idiot as damage control” level bad response.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Teddybear posted:

That’s like the worst response possible. That’s a “well every firing for the next year will go to court” level bad response. That’s a “the state AG sat up in their chair” level bad response. That’s a “fire this idiot as damage control” level bad response.

The biggest weakness that Barstool has is always never shutting the gently caress up and always trying to be the big posturing tough guy. It will come back to bite them here, FOR LITERALLY NO REASON AT ALL, BECAUSE IT ALL STARTED ENTIRELY BY PORTNOY WHINING ABOUT GAWKER'S UNION.

https://twitter.com/Samer/status/1161269633204273153

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Proving you were fired because of union stuff is usually pretty hard, but when Portnoy is tweeting about he will fire people for union stuff, well...

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

hmmm i wonder where Portnoy learned this strategy of admitting to illegal practices on twitter before undertaking them?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Not for nothing but isn't portnoy just a figurehead and the face of the company? He's not the actual head position at barstool if memory serves

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DJExile posted:

Not for nothing but isn't portnoy just a figurehead and the face of the company? He's not the actual head position at barstool if memory serves

Doesn't change the fact that that well is poisoned now.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DJExile posted:

He's not the CEO or owner of the company anymore but he's still in a management position

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

iospace posted:

Poisoned for who though? I know tons of my coworkers who still try and show me barstool stuff all the time and I doubt they will think this is any worse than the lovely things barstool has done in the past.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MourningView posted:

He's not the CEO or owner of the company anymore but he's still in a management position

Ah, fair enough. I didn't know if he still held actual sway there.

iospace posted:

I still honestly doubt this is going anywhere. it seems like peak portnoy bullshit tweaking of people online because this is what he does all the time. if it actually blows him up, great, but he's pulled this poo poo plenty other times and it never goes anywhere of actual consequence.

E: hell, how many times have people thought the Barstool PR Stunt Of The Week was totally the one that was going to do them in?

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/aoc/status/1161327815490330624?s=21

cue media circus

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I think he still owns like 49% of it but I could be wrong there.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Bird in a Blender posted:

Most of them probably have no clue WTF Barstool even is.

Are you kidding, this is their target demo: young white male meatheads in and around Boston

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

When Portnoy sold he shacked up with a young Instagram model right away. She proceeded to cheat on him with her SoulCycle instructor and caused him to have a public meltdown on Twitter threatening to destroy the company. So much so that SoulCycle had to send out a release to their employees to call 911 if he or his employees were seen on the premises.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/pftcommenter/status/1161330301756432385?s=21

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Are we sure Portnoy isn’t someone that Bill Simmons invented in order to make himself look like The Thoughtful Boston Fan/website owner?

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

This whole thing reeks of an attention grab.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Cash Monet posted:

This whole thing reeks of an attention grab.

Today, or the existence of Barstool in general

https://twitter.com/ryanwhitney6/status/1161340639503626251

AsInHowe fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Wait barstools is in NY and not Boston??? Did not see that coming