Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Strongly considering buying like 30 crabs from the internet for 30 bucks

They're all tiny marine hermits what do I need for their health and enrichment? Extra snail shells? Feed them like a whole frozen shrimp once a week prob cut it up and feed a little a day?

Also considering getting 100 instead but I only have a 30 gallon tank with various weirdo copepods and an oyster and clam rn that seems unfairly excessive

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Aug 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Good new thread title!

You gon' get snipped by

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you dont want to see people attempting to cook crabs look away!

Anyway; cooking crabs seems like a hazardous business:

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RN9LU2N4b8Y

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
How does one join this mafia club? You know, hypothetically.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

What a bunch of clown shoe amateur hour idiots. Beat by a crab. Shameful.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Strongly considering buying like 30 crabs from the internet for 30 bucks

They're all tiny marine hermits what do I need for their health and enrichment? Extra snail shells? Feed them like a whole frozen shrimp once a week prob cut it up and feed a little a day?

Also considering getting 100 instead but I only have a 30 gallon tank with various weirdo copepods and an oyster and clam rn that seems unfairly excessive

I'm no expert but I feel like your 30 gallon tank is way too small for even 30 hermits. Given you already have a saltwater tank setup with stuff in it, I'd suggest getting maybe three or four crabs and seeing how that goes.

Also, this caresheet says they'll happily attack and kill other animals to take their shells so definitely you need to provide lots of empty shells. Also they should primarily be eating algae and seaweed, you can supplement with shrimp or whatever.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

LingcodKilla posted:

What a bunch of clown shoe amateur hour idiots. Beat by a crab. Shameful.

The cook fears the crab.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Leperflesh posted:

I'm no expert but I feel like your 30 gallon tank is way too small for even 30 hermits. Given you already have a saltwater tank setup with stuff in it, I'd suggest getting maybe three or four crabs and seeing how that goes.

Also, this caresheet says they'll happily attack and kill other animals to take their shells so definitely you need to provide lots of empty shells. Also they should primarily be eating algae and seaweed, you can supplement with shrimp or whatever.

Currently the only things in the tank are algae, an oyster, and a clam. Nothing else made it

Will hold off on crab army for now. I assumed when they said "dwarf hermit" they meant REALLY dwarf

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

How does one join this mafia club? You know, hypothetically.

Copy the source URL of the Something Clawful gang tang and paste it between img tags the next time you buy an avatar!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Currently the only things in the tank are algae, an oyster, and a clam. Nothing else made it

Will hold off on crab army for now. I assumed when they said "dwarf hermit" they meant REALLY dwarf

I mean definitely get some crabs! Just, 30 all at once is insane

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

https://twitter.com/emoji_penis/status/1161729651288547330

Lean Six Ligma
Nov 26, 2005

Dirty Fuckin' Dangles, Boys

Lean Six Ligma fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Aug 15, 2019

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

robocrob

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

crebs

Hoplosternum
Jun 2, 2010

:parrot:
guise, I went back to Fiji and got more creb snaps (where I could, Fiji crebs are super fast runners). Stay tuned for regular new photos of crebs!

This beach was seriously lacking in empty shells being washed up. All the crebs I saw were at max capacity, with their claw at the very entrance (whereas at the other resort, was heaps of snails & empty shells & all crebs could fully retract).
This little dude was wandering up and down the beach for ages, checking every stone and other bit of crap. Tried to help find a shell, but it was very sparse. Some say he's doomed to walk this earth for eternity, for the crebs of the island angered an ancient god.

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

snip snaps

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Clandestine Camouflaged Crab Concealment
https://twitter.com/thedepthsbeIow/status/1161985007381909506

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Look at that badass

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
New rocklords line looking good

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Look at this tiny pinchman I found at work

Hoplosternum
Jun 2, 2010

:parrot:

Beet Wagon posted:

Look at this tiny pinchman I found at work

I luffs him! Pinchman Jr! So wee!

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

naem
May 29, 2011

amazing

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
https://twitter.com/EverySheriff/status/1117522267246874625

DB Pooper
Mar 27, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've never seen a crab at the beach before.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

DB Pooper posted:

I've never seen a crab at the beach before.

You have to dig in the the sand for them.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Go to a tide pool at very low tide and explorer carefully.
If you got mudflats with seaweed find a spot close to the water and stomp then stand still and you may notice a big crab deciding to move.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
It’s 3:27 in the morning and my girlfriend who can’t sleep just told me that one can photoshop crabclaws to a habanero and call it a crabanero. Same thing goes for cabbage, which turns to crabbage.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

BigglesSWE posted:

It’s 3:27 in the morning and my girlfriend who can’t sleep just told me that one can photoshop crabclaws to a habanero and call it a crabanero. Same thing goes for cabbage, which turns to crabbage.

First off, marry her.

Second, stop posting and get it done!

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

BigglesSWE posted:

Fine, but just this once.

Scarodactyl fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Aug 19, 2019

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

I used to dig these guys up and play with them when I went to Ocean City, MD as a kid. If you hold them in your palm instead of the side, they'll try to burrow through your hand. It tickles quite a bit.

Scarodactyl posted:

Fine, but just this once.

Salty, yet spicy.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

This thread is the best.

I’m going to Gran Canaria in two days. Hope to see some critters by the seaside.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Gives new meaning to scuttlebutt, don’t it?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Currently on Gran Crabaria (Canaria, once again my girlfriend’s joke) and I’ve seen a multitude of hermit crabs and other critters. Will hopefully be able to share some photos when I come home.

naem
May 29, 2011

https://youtu.be/3OG5jyRGhLg

cranb

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Notice everything went to poo poo when the crab died. Coincidence? Certainly not.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

When in danger, the cranb buries itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

ohhh, yeah, I watched a bunch of that guy's videos like 8 months ago or something

I like his weird accent

also I wish he didn't stick quite so resolutely to never opening his little life jars for a year or more, I bet like one or two partial water changes in that time might have saved the crabp.