Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Fishing questions:

- is there a point to keeping lower level bait once you have the higher level stuff?
- How obnoxious does trying to fill out the fishing log get?
- Is there a quick way to reference what fish is safe to sell vs save for crafting?

I'm chilling and watching fireworks in Limsa as I fish and fill out some levequests and this is the most relaxed I've been in days, it's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Fishing questions:

- is there a point to keeping lower level bait once you have the higher level stuff?
- Is there a quick way to reference what fish is safe to sell vs save for crafting?

I'm chilling and watching fireworks in Limsa as I fish and fill out some levequests and this is the most relaxed I've been in days, it's great.

If you keep any low level bait, then pill bugs is probably the most broadly useful. If you do the Ixal beast tribe quests, certain high rank dailies of theirs require you to catch fish using pill bugs. Though in general, I'd say it's only worth keeping lures just because they're theoretically infinitely reusable.

Don't try to fill out the log. There are some fish that only appear during certain weather conditions and certain times of day. Think the annoyance of the sightseeing log, but taken to its completely illogical extreme.

Sell 'em all. Don't worry about hanging onto random garbage because it might be useful for crafting. That's the way that your inventory fills up with bullshit. If you need a specific fish for crafting, then go load up with bait and catch it when you need it instead of holding onto it forever.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Fishing questions:

Bait isn't a "higher is always better" sort of thing, but you'll be using certain baits to target certain fish, and that generally means you'll be using different baits as you level up, and it's never too pricey, so get rid of non-relevant baits if they're wasting bag space.

As far as I understand, filling out the log is a journey. It's not unlike the ARR sightseeing log where certain fish will only show up under certain time and weather, and even then there's layers of RNG.

CUL doesn't use fish to level very often, IIRC. The best selling fish are going to be the same ones you're getting for levequests.

e: Beaten with basically the same info.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

Fishing questions:

If you haven't yet, type /sit after casting.

Also, you can eventually fish up a bucket.

As for your questions: I dunno, i just winged it.

e: jesus christ gently caress the imgur app

a kitten fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Aug 13, 2019

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If you think of fishing as anything more than a chill way to spend some time you're going to end up frustrated

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Fishing questions:

They added freshwater and saltwater boilies to the game with ShB. You literally only need other bait for the specific big fish, since the boilies will catch nearly everything available from 1-50, including the Ixal daily fish. The downside being they'll catch nearly everything in the pool if you're just trying to catch one specific fish.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Aug 13, 2019

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

So if I read all of that advice right...

- Fishing log is a chill journey I only work on when I want to. If I stress over it I am doing it wrong, and absolutely cheat and look up stuff that requires specific times/weathers.
- Keep only the highest level bait that I'm using + pillbugs
- Sell everything

Sounds good. I'm treating all of the crafting/gathering stuff as chill stuff to do whenever I need to take a break from killing things. I'll probably finish the respective logs for everything in, oh, ten years? More?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Just use boilies!

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I leveled FSH to 80 and you're thinking way harder than I ever thought about fishing.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Is it still a big pain getting the steam version set up? I've been out for a few years

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Allarion posted:

Just use boilies!

I will as soon as I find them!

SettingSun posted:

I leveled FSH to 80 and you're thinking way harder than I ever thought about fishing.

I can and will overthink everything, gotta do crafts at least semi-efficiently. :v:

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

cheetah7071 posted:

If you think of fishing as anything more than a chill way to spend some time you're going to end up frustrated

Nthing this. I fish when I really need certain items I don't want to buy and I have a show to watch on the side. I don't fish as much as I share in the fishing experience. If I happen to get what I need, so much the better

(I don't fish often outside of leveling to cap every expansion, and that's surprisingly fast)

Veriun
Mar 9, 2013

As long as we're alive,
good things will come.

And we'll be okay.
Just finished Susano, probably my favorite boss so far! I usually find it hard to keep up with everything that's happening on-screen in trials, but the field wasn't all that big, the AoEs were all nicely telegraphed and easy to avoid, and everyone clustering together made Cure III amazingly useful. That ridiculously huge-rear end sword and the tank holding it back :eyepop:

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Conot posted:

Thou must needs pray return to the Waking Sands with utmost haste

need succor

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Thundarr posted:

One of the quests in upper Kholusia involves a bunch of NPCs that come perilously close to kicking down the fourth walk entirely, including two that are more genre savvy than you are and the WoL is shook.

well I know where I'm going on my 76 GNB next

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

SettingSun posted:

I once thought "corse" was a typo but it's come up more than once and nope, just an archaic turn for corpse. I've grown to enjoy the antiquated language the game adopted.

jongleur = jester, too, who fuckin knew

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

I can and will overthink everything, gotta do crafts at least semi-efficiently. :v:

There will eventually be a quest in the Fisher's Guild called The Beast of Brewer's Beacon.

For the sake of your sanity do not try and do this quest.

If you do end up doing this, there is a follow up quest called Feast of Famine.

This is where I'm at.

For the sake of your sanity Do Not Do This.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Efficient gatherer leveling is mostly "do GC hand-ins (mostly when stared) and challenge log" then do leves if you would like to level faster. 50+ collectables (grindable) open up, along with custom delivery (weekly limited.)

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Ibblebibble posted:

There will eventually be a quest in the Fisher's Guild called The Beast of Brewer's Beacon.

For the sake of your sanity do not try and do this quest.

If you do end up doing this, there is a follow up quest called Feast of Famine.

This is where I'm at.

For the sake of your sanity Do Not Do This.

This cannot be stressed enough.

Do Not Do This.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I finished Shadowbringers last night! :toot:

Big ol' spoilers:

Holy moly that final dungeon is insane. Everything is just going to poo poo. The weather is "Termination". The first boss is just nonstop AoEs, the second boss is a giant trash mob and a DPS check before it explodes on you. And then comes that final backdrop of the world burning beneath you and you're in motherfucking space and you can see so many stars and there's meteors raining down and the music is pounding and aaaaAAAAAA :kingsley:

Waaaait what the gently caress? Why did I look like an Ascian all of a sudden? Maybe our souls were from an Ascian that Emet-Selch used to know before the Sundering? I'm intrigued.

Holy poo poo, Hades? Well that's one way to get him in FFXIV.

lol Alphinaud just passes out after swimming for miles

lol Urianger is just floating in the water as the camera fades out

Elidibus is the only one left! Let us go to the moon so we can kick his rear end already!

HOLY poo poo ZENOS IS BACK BABY :black101: FINAL BOSS OF 6.0 CONFIRMED?!

What a wild ride that was. I'm hungry for more MSQ already.

Now I can start leveling other jobs and unlocking all the new stuff!

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Veriun posted:

Just finished Susano, probably my favorite boss so far! I usually find it hard to keep up with everything that's happening on-screen in trials, but the field wasn't all that big, the AoEs were all nicely telegraphed and easy to avoid, and everyone clustering together made Cure III amazingly useful. That ridiculously huge-rear end sword and the tank holding it back :eyepop:

It's really fun to do that as a SMN or SCH so you can hold back the giant sword with a book :black101:

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Something something pen something sword

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

doesn't the wol literally have a chance to say "dude, my armor is worth like ten houses, let me help" at some point

i too wish you could actually do it, though

The filler quest in the ivalice raid is about getting a wine bottle and that little poo poo in costa del sol says something like "pft an empty bottle of this poo poo is worth a house in the mist"

I have a house in the mist.

Sirbloody
Aug 21, 2005

Don't fuck with the Rabbi!
I been working on getting all my crafters/gatherers to 60 while I wait for my wife to catch up on the MSQ. Since my bag space / retainer space is getting close to 0 I should just sell off all the random crap I been keeping and only gather what I need to level up my crafters right?

Angry Platypus
Jul 17, 2006

the last thing you see before OH GOD ANKLE SPURS
As a player returning after Stormblood and maining BLM, I don't think I've ever hated a dungeon more than the 80 story dungeon. Thematically it's amazing, but every single boss fight and trash pull seems designed specifically to mess with casters. First two bosses are aoe nightmares, and the trash pulls even have those fixating mobs that require movement to clear debuffs. This dungeon gets removed from EX roulette in 5.1, right? It's a wonderful, fantastic story dungeon that I never want to play again.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

SettingSun posted:

I once thought "corse" was a typo but it's come up more than once and nope, just an archaic turn for corpse. I've grown to enjoy the antiquated language the game adopted.

I hope you know your Larboard from your Starboard.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

DizzyBum posted:

Waaaait what the gently caress? Why did I look like an Ascian all of a sudden? Maybe our souls were from an Ascian that Emet-Selch used to know before the Sundering? I'm intrigued.
The statement from Hythlodaeus, your giant pal in the DMV, was that your and Ardbert's souls are both unmistakably reincarnated fragments of a known Ascian/Amaurotine soul (corresponding to your character's sex, Hythlodaeus uses either "her" or "him" when talking about this mystery Amaurotine). Emet-Selch sees you briefly as one right after Ardbert joins with you, which suggests the Warrior of Light's soul is approaching a more "complete" state of that someone that Emet-Selch recognizes. And with all the mention in Amaurot about an unnamed 14th member of the Convocation who disagreed with the whole Zodiark scheme, the implication is that this is who the Warrior of Light shares their history with.

Image related to the spoiler text.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Angry Platypus posted:

As a player returning after Stormblood and maining BLM, I don't think I've ever hated a dungeon more than the 80 story dungeon. Thematically it's amazing, but every single boss fight and trash pull seems designed specifically to mess with casters. First two bosses are aoe nightmares, and the trash pulls even have those fixating mobs that require movement to clear debuffs. This dungeon gets removed from EX roulette in 5.1, right? It's a wonderful, fantastic story dungeon that I never want to play again.

The dungeon has a boss that's literally just trash piles that let you stand in one place and do the BLM AOE rotation, the best AOE rotation in the game. It's great to run as a BLM.

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

Ciaphas posted:

jongleur = jester, too, who fuckin knew

Jongleur is French for "juggler."

Veriun
Mar 9, 2013

As long as we're alive,
good things will come.

And we'll be okay.
Ran Shisui of the Violet Tides, things went well until we got to the interior. We're in the middle of a trash mob when suddenly one of the DPS runs off, even taking the time to type "don't be a wuss" into chat. None of us followed them because we were, you know, busy with the trash mob. They died almost immediately. :allears:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Hogama posted:

The statement from Hythlodaeus, your giant pal in the DMV, was that your and Ardbert's souls are both unmistakably reincarnated fragments of a known Ascian/Amaurotine soul (corresponding to your character's sex, Hythlodaeus uses either "her" or "him" when talking about this mystery Amaurotine). Emet-Selch sees you briefly as one right after Ardbert joins with you, which suggests the Warrior of Light's soul is approaching a more "complete" state of that someone that Emet-Selch recognizes. And with all the mention in Amaurot about an unnamed 14th member of the Convocation who disagreed with the whole Zodiark scheme, the implication is that this is who the Warrior of Light shares their history with.

I wonder if the WoL (continuing ShB MSQ spoilers) or at least their Amaurotian precursor is the one who summoned Hydaelyn in the first place, in defiance of E-S and Zodiark?

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Aug 13, 2019

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Wylie posted:

Jongleur is French for "juggler."

now I know even more than I did before!

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

StrixNebulosa posted:

The fieldcraft or tradecraft merchants in the capital cities will sell all of the bait, including boilies. One of the merchants anyways.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Hogama posted:

i wanna know what color my soul is

i mean it's probably that pure white glow we see when we fistbump ardbert (i miss ardbert) but i'd be okay with a nice navy blue also

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Allarion posted:

The fieldcraft or tradecraft merchants in the capital cities will sell all of the bait, including boilies. One of the merchants anyways.

Used the marketboard and just got a bunch - can't use 'em until level 15 tho!

Anyways, this is the perfect game:

I'm watching a documentary and fishing and I can feel my shoulders relaxing. I'm also mixing it up with a little botany (filling out that log is a similar "yep I'll be doing this for ten years" deal) and admiring the scenery and ahhh.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Kerrzhe posted:

i wanna know what color my soul is

i mean it's probably that pure white glow we see when we fistbump ardbert (i miss ardbert) but i'd be okay with a nice navy blue also

It's blue. You see it and it's called out as blue in the ALC line.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

StrixNebulosa posted:

Used the marketboard and just got a bunch - can't use 'em until level 15 tho!

Anyways, this is the perfect game:

I'm watching a documentary and fishing and I can feel my shoulders relaxing. I'm also mixing it up with a little botany (filling out that log is a similar "yep I'll be doing this for ten years" deal) and admiring the scenery and ahhh.

One thing I'll mention is there is at least one beast tribe you can't unlock without a level 60 DoH/DoL class, so you're not wasting your time.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I hope the Nier raid involves Caim from drakengard so we can see who's having a better time him or Zenos

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I hope the Nier raid involves Caim from drakengard so we can see who's having a better time him or Zenos

If Caim were a raid boss I'd nut.

It's probably not going to happen but I can hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

DRK Nier weapon: Iron Will.