Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

536 posted:

Are the people of Venezuela hungry today

yes. that's the point of the embargo and sanctions

quote:

and have they been since at least 2018?

not sure. USA propaganda makes it tough to get a clear read on the situation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

fnox posted:

It's loving sad, really. You really have nothing else, and the reason why you keep avoiding talking about Maduro's treatment of indigenous people is because, unlike the Orlando Figuera case you cling to, these hundreds of dead are of no use to your agenda.

Conversely, they are useful to yours. And that's not sad at all.

fnox
May 19, 2013

Condiv posted:

They have. I mean, they have. This is not in contention. There’s been shortages since 2013 and I lived through them. The fact that you can’t explain those shortages with “sanctions” should undo your entire thesis.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

Conversely, they are useful to yours. And that's not sad at all.

Maduro will pay for what he did, once he’s removed. The sheer absurdity of focusing on a single violent event for years when thousands have been murdered by Maduro’s forces within that period shouldn’t be understated. It’s ridiculous, it’s sad, it’s the result of indoctrination.

fnox fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Aug 13, 2019

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

fnox posted:

They have. I mean, they have. This is not in contention. There’s been shortages since 2013 and I lived through them. The fact that you can’t explain those shortages with “sanctions” should undo your entire thesis.

I don’t consider you a particularly trustworthy source since you’re extremely ok with the embargo and Bolton making sure there are no peace talks

fnox
May 19, 2013

Condiv posted:

I don’t consider you a particularly trustworthy source since you’re extremely ok with the embargo and Bolton making sure there are no peace talks

Ask any of the 4 million people who have left. Go to any Venezuelan, in person, and see if a single one will give you any answer other than “you would have to be insane to say otherwise”.

Dear god are you loving seriously asking if there were food shortages before the sanctions? Are you this delusional?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

fnox posted:

Ask any of the 4 million people who have left. Go to any Venezuelan, in person, and see if a single one will give you any answer other than “you would have to be insane to say otherwise”.

Dear god are you loving seriously asking if there were food shortages before the sanctions? Are you this delusional?

I’m definitely not asking you anything. I don’t think someone who’s happy with the US starving his country while he is comfortable in Sweden is a trustworthy source.

And yes I’m not sure on the food shortages. The opposition supporters claim there were, but said supporters have made lots of claims, like maduro burned food aid, maduro ordered Cuban doctors to withhold medically needed oxygen for votes, etc.

Of course, I guess not trusting the opposition on everything they say must seem delusional for someone who thinks Bolton and trump are trustworthy

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

fnox posted:

Maduro will pay for what he did, once he’s removed. The sheer absurdity of focusing on a single violent event for years when thousands have been murdered by Maduro’s forces within that period shouldn’t be understated. It’s ridiculous, it’s sad, it’s the result of indoctrination.

Okay, so it's Rwanda over there, is what you're saying, right?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
all it took was one ship being turned away, and the starvation of the Venezuelan people went from atrocity that must be corrected at any cost, to a necessary sacrifice in order to bring them freedom from Maduro.

imagine the things fnox will be supporting a year from now.

fnox
May 19, 2013

Okay, so it's Rwanda over there, is what you're saying, right?

Go see it for yourself. I’m not even going to entertain this denialism, it’s loving offensively stupid. There’s 4 million expats, find one, ask them.

It is ridiculous to say that there was no hunger in Venezuela before the sanctions and you should be laughed out of any discussion for suggesting that.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

e: nm

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

fnox posted:

Go see it for yourself. I’m not even going to entertain this denialism, it’s loving offensively stupid. There’s 4 million expats, find one, ask them.

It is ridiculous to say that there was no hunger in Venezuela before the sanctions and you should be laughed out of any discussion for suggesting that.

I don’t think anyone’s said that though fnox

fnox
May 19, 2013

Condiv posted:

I don’t think anyone’s said that though fnox

This is exactly what you’re saying. You’re saying there wasn’t any starvation before the sanctions. That’s what you’re saying with your little snipe from C-SPAM. I want you to go ask a Venezuelan, any Venezuelan, and hear what they have to say about that.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

fnox posted:

Ok. How the gently caress do you not know? What loving possible reason would you have to doubt the fact that there were shortages in Venezuela since 2013? I’m telling you to go find a Venezuelan, and ask them, what’s your excuse? I want you to find them, and tell them, that you’re not sure if they starved for realsies or if they’re actually just agents of the Empire.

Hmm, if only I had posted about this earlier in the page :thunk:

Condiv posted:

Oh, there we go.

Glad to have cleared things up for you fnox

Condiv fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Aug 13, 2019

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

fnox posted:

I asked you a question. And it's wasn't really about hunger. It was about people being murdered by the government, like the indigenous people you just mentioned. Like in Rwanda in 1994. You are saying it's like that? That was the question.

fnox
May 19, 2013

Condiv posted:

No, I literally said I don’t know fnox. Just because I don’t trust your take doesn’t mean I believe the opposite of what you do.

Ok. How the gently caress do you not know? What loving possible reason would you have to doubt the fact that there were shortages in Venezuela since 2013? I’m telling you to go find a Venezuelan, and ask them, what’s your excuse? I want you to find them, and tell them, that you’re not sure if they starved for realsies or if they’re actually just agents of the Empire.

I asked you a question. And it's wasn't really about hunger. It was about people being murdered by the government, like the indigenous people you just mentioned. Like in Rwanda in 1994. You are saying it's like that? That was the question.

The UN says that. Not me. Read the report.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

fnox posted:

I'm pretty sure I've explained why I'm unsure in posts on this very page. Hell, you've quoted said posts. Try reading.

In any case, regardless of if there was starvation pre-sanctions or not, and regardless of who was responsible for said starvation if it occurred, today we are looking at mass starvation caused by the opposition working alongside monsters like bolton and trump. and for some reason, you still support the opposition despite them starving the people of venezuela (even worse than before if there was starvation back in 2013 as you claim). I can only imagine you still support them because you're safe in another country and it's you that's not starving, but maybe you have other reasons?

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

fnox posted:

The UN says that. Not me. Read the report.

The report doesn't mention Rwanda at all?

I am asking YOU if YOU think so. What is the trap you think you're avoiding here?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

The report doesn't mention Rwanda at all?

I am asking YOU if YOU think so. What is the trap you think you're avoiding here?

the Maduro government is probably less genocidal than the civil war era Hutu government

:toot:

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Don't help him.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

you're the one making Rwanda comparisons to imply the treatment of Venezuelan indigenous people isn't that bad

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Most D&D posters will immediately get upset and demand to know what your angle is if you ever ask them questions about what they believe in a context that implies you might disagree. It is seemingly viewed as a dirty trick to ask someone who disagrees with you to sincerely explain themselves.

fnox
May 19, 2013

You loving made the Rwanda comparison, not me, I’m saying that the indigenous people are being murdered under Maduro and are suffering disproportionally. I don’t care about comparing, I care about it being recognized.

Condiv posted:

I'm pretty sure I've explained why I'm unsure in posts on this very page. Hell, you've quoted said posts. Try reading.

In any case, regardless of if there was starvation pre-sanctions or not, and regardless of who was responsible for said starvation if it occurred, today we are looking at mass starvation caused by the opposition working alongside monsters like bolton and trump. and for some reason, you still support the opposition despite them starving the people of venezuela (even worse than before if there was starvation back in 2013 as you claim). I can only imagine you still support them because you're safe in another country and it's you that's not starving, but maybe you have other reasons?

Ask a Venezuelan. I’m giving you the answer here. I loving want you to ask them that same question. And no, if there was starvation before the sanctions matters a lot, because it would mean that you’re full of poo poo, and it would mean that you’re wrong in backing Maduro.

This dog whistling is loving pathetic, come on little man, were people starving before the sanctions or not?

fnox fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Aug 13, 2019

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

GreyjoyBastard posted:

you're the one making Rwanda comparisons to imply the treatment of Venezuelan indigenous people isn't that bad

Even if that were true, which it isn't, answering yes or no would do nothing to support such an implication.

fnox
May 19, 2013

Even if that were true, which it isn't, answering yes or no would do nothing to support such an implication.

Did you read the report? Is Maduro killing indigenous peoples or not?

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

fnox posted:

Did you read the report? Is Maduro killing indigenous peoples or not?

Sure, why not. What's next?

Notice how I answered the loving question? How about you return the favor.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

fnox posted:

Ask a Venezuelan. I’m giving you the answer here. I loving want you to ask them that same question. And no, if there was starvation before the sanctions matters a lot, because it would mean that you’re full of poo poo, and it would mean that you’re wrong in backing Maduro.

This dog whistling is loving pathetic, come on little man, were people starving before the sanctions or not?

it would mean I'm full of poo poo on what? the opposition intentionally making things worse? the opposition working with trump to starve venezuelans en masse? sorry, but that's the point of the sanctions and the embargo, regardless of the situation before.

as for you begging me to decide the truth on "were people starving before the sanctions or not" I'm not going to for the reasons I already told you.

finally, I don't support maduro. unlike how you're definitely supporting guaido and the opposition who are starving your country, I'm anti-interventionist and against trump's sanctions and embargoes.

fnox
May 19, 2013

Sure, why not. What's next?

Oh thank you kindly good sir for recognizing crimes against humanity, how brave of you! Should Maduro face trial?

Condiv I’m not going to answer you in C-SPAM lol, you have something to say about me, say it here. Were people starving before the sanctions or not, Condiv? Yes or no?

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

fnox posted:

Oh thank you kindly good sir for recognizing crimes against humanity, how brave of you! Should Maduro face trial?

Condiv I’m not going to answer you in C-SPAM lol, you have something to say about me, say it here. Were people starving before the sanctions or not, Condiv? Yes or no?

Crimes against humanity? Ah, so it is Rwanda, then! It's a genocide. It's a holocaust. Is that it? Yes or no, fnox.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

fnox posted:

Condiv I’m not going to answer you in C-SPAM lol, you have something to say about me, say it here.

i already did. I think it's messed up that you support the opposition starving venezuelans while you're in sweden.

quote:

Were people starving before the sanctions or not, Condiv? Yes or no?

I already answered this too. I'm not sure. how are you not getting that? I've said it like 3 times now

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Condiv posted:

the opposition intentionally making things worse? the opposition working with trump to starve venezuelans en masse?

How are they doing these things? I can actually think of a passable answer, but I'm curious whether you can :v:

Crimes against humanity? Ah, so it is Rwanda, then! It's a genocide. It's a holocaust. Is that it? Yes or no, fnox.

Yes crimes against humanity, little bit rwanda, little bit genocide, no holocaust.

I would assert that a better comparison is the treatment of indigenous people in the United States or a buncha other places. Some ethnic cleansing, a whole lot of resource theft, a lot of state violence under various pretexts, a whole lot of outsourced violence.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Aug 13, 2019

fnox
May 19, 2013

Condiv posted:

i already did. I think it's messed up that you support the opposition starving venezuelans while you're in sweden.

I already answered this too. I'm not sure. how are you not getting that?

I am in Sweden because I had to start over with no money to get my mother, my father and my grandmother out of the country because Maduro destroyed it. This is not a vacation for me, this is exile, I left alone, with nothing but a bag of clothes and a laptop, and I made it work. You wouldn’t know because you haven’t had to struggle for a thing in your entire life you loving American hypocrite.

Did they starve, yes or no? Find the answers, don’t come back until you have them you coward.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

GreyjoyBastard posted:

How are they doing these things? I can actually think of a passable answer, but I'm curious whether you can :v:

working with the trump administration that are levying sanctions and embargoes designed to starve venezuelans.

you could say the opposition are puppets of the US government since bolton announced that peace negotiations would not go forward till maduro resigned and was not up for election, but someone got mad that I wasn't giving the opposition enough agency so now it's clear the opposition told trump they didn't want to pursue peace talks anymore if maduro was in an election and would rather have the us government embargo and starve their citizens.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

fnox posted:

I am in Sweden because I had to start over with no money to get my mother, my father and my grandmother out of the country because Maduro destroyed it. This is not a vacation for me, this is exile, I left alone, with nothing but a bag of clothes and a laptop, and I made it work. You wouldn’t know because you haven’t had to struggle for a thing in your entire life you loving American hypocrite.

Did they starve, yes or no? Find the answers, don’t come back until you have them you coward.

thank heaven that now that you are safely ensconced elsewhere, it has become a good thing to starve Venezuelans. would have been really inconvenient if you'd been one of the Acceptable Losses (tm) to bring about freedom.

amazing how people get a lot more eager to call for mass murder of their countrymen, once they know they're safely out of the line of fire.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Condiv posted:

I already answered this too. I'm not sure. how are you not getting that? I've said it like 3 times now

This is a problem with a solution, right?

Condiv posted:

working with the trump administration that are levying sanctions and embargoes designed to starve venezuelans.

Humanitarian aid is specifically excluded from the embargo. That means food, clothing, medicine, etc...

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Aug 13, 2019

fnox
May 19, 2013

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

thank heaven that now that you are safely ensconced elsewhere, it has become a good thing to starve Venezuelans. would have been really inconvenient if you'd been one of the Acceptable Losses (tm) to bring about freedom.

amazing how people get a lot more eager to call for mass murder of their countrymen, once they know they're safely out of the line of fire.

You did not give a single gently caress when we were starving in 2016, you don’t get a say. You didn’t back any of the previous democratic attempts to replace Maduro, you didn’t back anything other than Maduro, and you have no solutions to offer anyone. Call me whatever the gently caress you want, but bring something to the table, or stand aside.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

fnox posted:

sure I've had to struggle for things. unlike you I'm not wishing war or starvation on the people in the US while I don't have to suffer the consequences. also, don't you think it's a bit hypocritical to complain about maduro hurting venezuela and at the same time cheer as the opposition tears everything apart?

quote:

sorry, I'm not going to make that determination for a while now. the evidence is not clear enough. you can deal with that and deal with the fact that whatever the situation was before, the opposition has made it worse intentionally.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

BigFactory posted:

This is a problem with a solution, right?

no, not really. the US is in the middle of attempting to regime change venezuela and has been for a long time (since at least 2012, but probably earlier). the situation is unclear to me and I don't think it's something I can make a strong determination on yet. making such a determination isn't really necessary either, as whatever the truth is, it doesn't change that the US needs to stop trying to regime change venezuela.

quote:

Humanitarian aid is specifically excluded from the embargo. That means food, clothing, medicine, etc...

how noble. starve a country and then offer aid that doesn't match starvation you caused.

fnox
May 19, 2013

Condiv posted:

sure I've had to struggle for things. unlike you I'm not wishing war or starvation on the people in the US while I don't have to suffer the consequences. also, don't you think it's a bit hypocritical to complain about maduro hurting venezuela and at the same time cheer as the opposition tears everything apart?

sorry, I'm not going to make that determination for a while now. the evidence is not clear enough. you can deal with that and deal with the fact that whatever the situation was before, the opposition has made it worse intentionally.

You haven’t had to struggle for poo poo, you don’t know what it’s like to be afraid for your life, for your family’s life, knowing you’re helpless to stop it. You don’t know what it’s like to have your mother call you in tears because her and your father nearly got killed in a kidnapping, and that you’re unable to do poo poo because you’re stuck in a tiny room in Sweden trying desperately to land a job so that you can afford rent for the next month and a plane ticket out for them. You don’t loving know, don’t you dare compare yourself.

Did people starve or not Condiv? I want you to give me an answer, you brought this up, you answer it. Tell me, is what I saw true or not? Do you know better than me what was occurring in front of my very eyes?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Condiv posted:

you could say the opposition are puppets of the US government since bolton announced that peace negotiations would not go forward till maduro resigned and was not up for election, but someone got mad that I wasn't giving the opposition enough agency so now it's clear the opposition told trump they didn't want to pursue peace talks anymore if maduro was in an election and would rather have the us government embargo and starve their citizens.

False dichotomy. The US taking an action does not mean the opposition as a coalition* or its negotiating team has instructed it. admittedly guaido is poo poo on messaging about all this, so I guess "saying nice things about the US" counts as "working to starve the Venezuelan people"

Nor was it the opposition that suspended talks! At first I had difficulty finding a source that wasn't the imperialists at NYT, WaPo, or Reuters, but then I remembered an ideologically acceptable site:

https://venezuelanalysis.com/news/14619

quote:

Venezuelan Gov’t Suspends Dialogue as EU Criticizes US Embargo
Caracas, August 7, 2019 (venezuelanalysis.com) – Venezuela’s Maduro government announced Wednesday that it will not be attending the latest round of talks with the opposition this Thursday and Friday in Barbados.

“President Nicolas Maduro Moros has decided not to send a delegation on this occasion in light of the grave and brutal aggression continually and cunnily perpetrated by the Trump administration,” Venezuela’s Communications Ministry said in a statement, referring to the full-scale embargo unveiled by Washington on Monday.

The European Union, as a leading member of the so-called International Contact Group comprised of nearly a dozen Latin American and European governments, has endorsed dialogue between the Venezuelan government and the opposition. However, the EU has also sanctioned top Caracas officials and has threatened harsher measures if there are no “concrete results” from the Norway-mediated talks. The majority of EU member-states followed Washington in recognizing Juan Guaido as “interim president” in the wake of his self-proclamation on January 23.

I would like to note that the EU aren't the only backers of the negotiations etc, there are a bunch of Latin American countries in the ICG.

* - the coalition's not exactly unified and Guaido / the negotiators seem to be walking a bit of a line, mollifying the radical pro-intervention folks while trying to maintain the moral high ground / keep the ICG participants etc on board with them and with election demands

--

As annoying as I sometimes find Venezuelanalysis, here's an article that's maybe positive and may cause some folks in this thread to suddenly oppose the PSUV's suppression strategies (campesino means something like 'peasant farmer'):

https://venezuelanalysis.com/news/14620

quote:

Venezuelan Campesinos' March on Miraflores Blocked by Police

Caracas, August 8, 2019 (venezuelanalysis.com) – Campesino and popular movements took to the streets of Venezuela’s capital Tuesday to demand government answers to issues plaguing the countryside.

The march, which was organized by the Campesino Struggle Platform (PLC), had three intended stops: the Attorney General’s office, the National Constituent Assembly, and Miraflores Presidential Palace. The goal was to once more highlight problems such as targeted killings and lack of state support for local production.

The first stop saw PLC spokespeople hand over a document to a representative of the Public Prosecution, demanding justice for 19 campesinos killed in the past year and over 300 since the landmark Land Law was approved in 2001.

Simultaneously, clashes broke out between police and activists after security forces attempted to stop a young man from spray-painting, “No more targeted killings,” on a wall across the street.

By the time tempers calmed down, a riot police picket line had been formed to stop the march from progressing any further. However, campesino and urban militants broke through the cordon and the march continued along University Avenue in the direction of the city center, shouting slogans such as “with repression there is no revolution!”

Around one kilometer ahead, the march was met by another cordon, this time featuring both the Bolivarian Police and the National Guard, in front of the Legislative Palace in downtown Caracas.

Despite pleas and demands that the march be allowed to continue in the direction of Miraflores Palace, the picket line was only reinforced by the arrival of more National Guard personnel.

A deputy from the National Constituent Assembly and a representative from the Vice Presidency did come to meet the marchers, receiving documents highlighting the main issues and demands from the PLC, and pledging to respond.

Campesino spokespeople read the documents out loud, stressing how, out of the 111 cases of land disputes represented by the platform, only 28 have seen any kind of response from authorities. Similarly, despite government pledges to support small and midsize producers, out of the 35,000 hectare sowing plan proposed, the state has only provided seeds for 5,000 and fertilizer for 1,750 hectares.

The march was set to mark the one-year anniversary of the Admirable Campesino March, which saw dozens of campesinos march over 400 km on foot to raise awareness about the issues they face and demand a meeting with President Maduro.

A televised meeting did take place, with Maduro ordering the creation of commissions to resolve land disputes and put an end to impunity for rural violence. However, little to no progress has been made on the different fronts, with recurring episodes of evictions and targeted killings leading campesinos to return to Caracas and set up a vigil at the Land Institute (INTI) to demand that Maduro’s instructions be enforced.

The most recent case of landowner violence in the Venezuelan countryside resulted in the assassination of six militants from the grassroots Bolivar and Zamora Revolutionary Current in Barinas State on July 27.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Condiv posted:

no, not really. the US is in the middle of attempting to regime change venezuela and has been for a long time (since at least 2012, but probably earlier). the situation is unclear to me and I don't think it's something I can make a strong determination on yet. making such a determination isn't really necessary either, as whatever the truth is, it doesn't change that the US needs to stop trying to regime change venezuela.

how noble. starve a country and then offer aid that doesn't match starvation you caused.

I would think that a little research in Venezuelan newspapers might help. Just because the situation is unclear to you doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be investigating it, right? I’d think the opposite actually.