Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Mr Bungle are reuniting to play 3 shows in the US and this is perhaps the single greatest band reformation of my lifetime. Even though my odds of going to NYC, LA or SF are close to zero, and they are playing all of their first demo which really isn't a patch on their later stuff (especially Disco Volante & California era tunes), it's amazing. Even if it's not the original drummer or the drummer most associated with Bungle, Danny Heifetz, it's Dave Lombardo from Slayer & Fantomas. Man. This is so exciting even if I have to make do with watching low quality clips recorded on a phone of Anarchy Up Your Anus, because I've already made do with watching low quality clips of Mr Bungle live from the California tour from 20 years ago.

This is too exciting and I had to share.

What a stupid snipe.

August 13th 1977 - The Battle of Lewisham, a major clash between the National Front (500 members) and anti-fascists (4,000). The police mostly focused on battering the anti-fascists of course.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Aug 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

btw did this get posted ITT yet?

https://twitter.com/jonboguth/status/1151665693890359297?s=20

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

DID YOU MEAN: Face like a grieving onion?

He's rocking the Toby Young look, even down to being wrong about everything.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Very suspicious about ""The Rich"" being in quotes while "non-Rich" isn't

e: also lol @ Protectors

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Hmm, looters and moochers. Where have I heard that language before? :ancap:

Oh and the full title is Neutering the National Debt: How Reagan Got It Right, and How Today's Left and Right Get It Wrong

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
lol there's a literal actual riot happening in Hong Kong airport and, while rioters clash with police and pepper sprays gets everywhere, scores of commuters are milling about with their suitcases trying to check in and get to their gates

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like the right diagram could be made correct if you coloured the top in red as well.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
The right graph would be the same as the left except also adding "The Mass Media" and "The fascists" in red

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I feel like the right diagram could be made correct if you coloured the top in red as well.
it's a diagonal line, not unlike :anarchists:

Also I just figured out what that poo poo reminded me of

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Bardeh posted:

:chloe:

https://twitter.com/marcus44/status/1161320184185012224

There are actually people out there who think like this? :wtc:

Angelos Epithemiou has aged like poo poo.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Julio Cruz posted:

hmm yes why is the thing that I pay thousands of pounds for better than the thing that's free

he's not paying for private care though... for some reason... :thunk:

forkboy84 posted:

This is so exciting even if I have to make do with watching low quality clips recorded on a phone of Anarchy Up Your Anus, because I've already made do with watching low quality clips of Mr Bungle live from the California tour from 20 years ago.

greatest Halloween show ever though

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

AceOfFlames posted:

But they don't even do that. I ask "How was your weekend" and most of the time they say "Good" or "Nothing special". The rare times I see them upset I ask "Is everything OK", they say "Yes" and don't elaborate. Maybe I'm just incredibly unlucky. But I try. I just don't understand.

It takes time to build up conversational intimacy, just like the other kind, and with most people it will never happen at all. That's just how it is, and it's not because other people are defective or incapable of intimacy with others, or even with you if different conversational opportunities had come up.

But if you want to maximize your chances of achieving conversational intimacy you need to think about what sort of person would be interested hearing what you enjoy talking about, and vice versa, and then go to places where those people are likely to be. Do evening courses on subjects that interest you, go to political meetings if that does, go to board games groups, join a choir or a sewing group, spend your Saturdays at car boot sales; if you currently have no interests that can be done with others, then cultivate one.

(And do be honest with yourself about your skill level: lots of people might think they are interested in philosophy, but if they've only read one or two books on the subject they're going to bore anyone who's actually studied the subject.)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

baka kaba posted:

he's not paying for private care though... for some reason... :thunk:

greatest Halloween show ever though

drat right.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Oh dear me posted:

But if you want to maximize your chances of achieving conversational intimacy you need to think about what sort of person would be interested hearing what you enjoy talking about, and vice versa, and then go to places where those people are likely to be. Do evening courses on subjects that interest you, go to political meetings if that does, go to board games groups, join a choir or a sewing group, spend your Saturdays at car boot sales; if you currently have no interests that can be done with others, then cultivate one.

(And do be honest with yourself about your skill level: lots of people might think they are interested in philosophy, but if they've only read one or two books on the subject they're going to bore anyone who's actually studied the subject.)
Or in a situation like a family gathering where you can't choose your audience, he could just ask questions. I don't know poo poo about football or rugby or strictly or really anything that isn't video james. But the point is I engage with people and if it's something I don't understand, I ask them to explain it to me or just try to ask lots of questions and seem interested in the answers. After five minutes or so it's no longer considered rude to back out of the conversation and talk to someone else.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

How can you be poor AND a rent seeker? :confused:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They mean welfare benefits :ssh:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's the same stupid lib idea, that the problem is not capitalism but simply bad people, and you just need to make the bad people better and then it'll work. What's a society? I don't think they exist.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

They mean welfare benefits :ssh:

Gotcha. Still, funny how you could have the arrows pointing at the same colored blocks in the first diagram and it would be more accurate.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

forkboy84 posted:

Mr Bungle are reuniting to play 3 shows in the US and this is perhaps the single greatest band reformation of my lifetime. Even though my odds of going to NYC, LA or SF are close to zero, and they are playing all of their first demo which really isn't a patch on their later stuff (especially Disco Volante & California era tunes), it's amazing. Even if it's not the original drummer or the drummer most associated with Bungle, Danny Heifetz, it's Dave Lombardo from Slayer & Fantomas. Man. This is so exciting even if I have to make do with watching low quality clips recorded on a phone of Anarchy Up Your Anus, because I've already made do with watching low quality clips of Mr Bungle live from the California tour from 20 years ago.

This is too exciting and I had to share.

What a stupid snipe.

This is excellent news, stumbling across a secondhand copy of Disco Volante when I was 14 was an absolute mindblower.

The closest I got to the beautiful madness of Mr Bungle was catching one of Dillinger Escape Plan's 3 farewell shows in NYC in Dec 2017, where Mike Patton came out and did the entirety of the Irony Is A Dead Scene with them. I was :stoked:

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
I saw Dillinger Escape Plan open Reading in 2002. The singer shat in a carrier bag and then threw it into the crowd, all before midday. Later on that day I ended up backstage in a hospitality tent watching Sid from Slipknot do a jungle DJ set. That's my Dillinger Escape Plan story

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

AceOfFlames posted:

Gotcha. Still, funny how you could have the arrows pointing at the same colored blocks in the first diagram and it would be more accurate.
There are people at all strata of society who are absolute poo poo. Rapists, neo-nazis, people who kick homeless people. But the further up you go, the greater amount of a poo poo to a greater number of people you can be if you choose to be, and the more likely it is that you're being poo poo just by choosing to do things that are convenient to you.

As in this highly scientific graph

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I saw Dillinger Escape Plan open Reading in 2002. The singer shat in a carrier bag and then threw it into the crowd, all before midday. Later on that day I ended up backstage in a hospitality tent watching Sid from Slipknot do a jungle DJ set. That's my Dillinger Escape Plan story

I mean you pretty much caught their most fabled show of all time (it's either that or their hilarious Virgin Megastore appearance), so I'd say you're doing pretty good!

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Failed Imagineer posted:

I mean you pretty much caught their most fabled show of all time (it's either that or their hilarious Virgin Megastore appearance), so I'd say you're doing pretty good!

I wasn't into it, mainly because it was before midday on a Sunday, I was deeply, deeply hungover and in no mood for whatever was emanating from the stage. However, that's the one memory from that year's festival I have (The Prodigy headlined that same stage later that day and were abysmal)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

There are people at all strata of society who are absolute poo poo. Rapists, neo-nazis, people who kick homeless people. But the further up you go, the greater amount of a poo poo to a greater number of people you can be if you choose to be, and the more likely it is that you're being poo poo just by choosing to do things that are convenient to you.

As in this highly scientific graph

Also the more likely the reason you are there is because you were a poo poo.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Gonzo McFee posted:

20 hours a week apparently

Not medieval farmers; are you thinking of hunter gatherers?

Just go visit any museum of rural living and look at the stuff people had to make and do, or read any contemporary account. No way any modern person, except perhaps game developers, ever averaged more working hours a year than a pre-Industrial farmer.

If anyone was working 20 hours a week, it was because they owned the farm and people to do the work.

radmonger fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 13, 2019

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Working long weeks for no extra pay to render walls and make better pikemen: medieval farmer or game developer?

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Guavanaut posted:

Tech good, current distribution bad.

shoutout to Xenofeminism, always good.

Took a while to finish writing this, hope it's not too out of sync. I may have got something wrong here, I'm a rank amateur :v:

It's not just the distribution of the current tech that's the problem, it's also the mindset of society towards tech and the natural world, and the values integrated into tech as it exists. The first is the standard left economic critique of ownership, nothing new for this thread. The others are worth some exploration imo.

At the moment technical thinking seems based on enlightenment rationality and subject/object separation. Humans are separate and distinct from nature and society, which are objects that should be controlled (or, rather, dominated), and what is considered the 'object' here varies. An example is geoengineering using aerosols as a climate solution - a system we are not part of (nature) is doing something we'd prefer it didn't, so we force it to do what we want - pump aerosols into the atmosphere to bring the temperature down; oh dear, you're in East Asia, and you're dependent on rice, and we've just destroyed your ability to grow rice, so you starve. Even other humans are part of the 'object' definition. Or, Facebook experiments on emotion: everyone on Facebook is part of the object, to be manipulated and not considered as more than elements of study, regardless of real-world effects on people's moods, or the effects that would have back upon Facebook later! Facebook was seeing itself as utterly disconnected.

We could instead consider ourselves as internal to the system(s) we exist within, rather than an external entity interacting at a distance, removing the disconnect. There's some interesting stuff in cybernetics around this - seeing everything as a linked network of black-box processes, where the point isn't to dig into any one thing to uncover precisely how it works and control it, but to understand what they perform and their interaction, and work out how to kind of "steer" within these interlinked processes. Also, there's standpoint theory, and Donna Haraway's situated knowledge, but I know even less about those, far as I can see it's knowledge not from a disconnected orbit but embedded within / from the point of view of the people under study, which seems relevant (especially considering stuff like "soap dispensers that can't detect black skin").

(UK Marx Time: seeing ourselves and nature as identical, or inseparable as concepts, is in the "philosophy of internal relations" view of Marx and dialectics. We can tie this into alienation - our inseparable relations with nature forms part of our species-being; the subject/object separation between human and nature enforced by our present rationality becomes a form of alienation, and we can never be complete as humans until it's overcome.)

This domination is backed up by a largely instrumental approach to tech - we are separate from the world, tech provides a means by which to interact with it, but tech does not contain its own values or intrinsically drive anything. Contrast this with substantivist approaches to tech, in which tech contains values, and enforces those values on society, during which new technologies come into being containing their own values etc.; tech becomes the driver of society once it starts and there isn't a way to stop it. Optimistic: Silicon Valley, Steven Pinker, happy accelerationism, pessimistic: Dark Enlightenment, Heidigger, sad accelerationism. This is not, imo, useful, it completely removes the concept of control.

There's a synthesis by Andrew Feenberg that I like, the Critical Theory of Technology, which tries to make a synthesis of substantivism and instrumentalism. It splits tech - technical elements, assemblages (he might use a different word, can't remember), and the technical code. Technical elements are simple and value-neutral - think of something like a spring or lever, they just exist without containing any values as such. As you link technical elements together to form assemblages at different levels, they start to take on the values of the society they were constructed in. e.g. a bow is only meaningful in a society which requires some form of violence, and reproduces that violence, but its elements are value-neutral. The technical code is kind of the recipe for how to construct technologies in a given society; it's the thing that ensures that tech reproduces and extends the society's values. So the problems with tech don't arise from the elements - those are reusable under a different technical code - but from the technical code that constructs the assemblages.

tl;dr: all of which is a very long-winded way to say a lot of tech could use reconsideration or outright removal due to its having been created under the present system and thus carrying and propagating its values, but don't throw the robotic baby out with the bathwater, it could be possible to plan the technical code so that the values going into, and being reproduced by, the tech don't come to dominate us and we don't dominate nature to the point of mutual destruction.

Also, Shoshana Zuboff isn't entirely terrible, she distinguishes automating (deskilling) from "informating" (reskilling, dealienation), although she's a business studies liberal who is shocked, shocked by technology capable of emancipating parts of the workforce instead being used to control it, and also by the world continuing to exist when she's got a blanket over her head

Any other material that's constructively tech-critical (but not anti-tech!) would be appreciated, I'm pretty interested in left tech writing

(birbs from google)

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

radmonger posted:

Can you clarify the exact academic field of study you work in that allows you to make such confident statements about the future interaction of climatology, ecology, technology, economics and politics?

Or is being ignorant about STEM sufficient proof of mastery of all other fields?

I work in that intersection and he’s right

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

bump_fn posted:

ive never seen big bang theory but are the white male scientists in it sex pests cause if not then its not really very accurate

one of them is a sex pest to anything in a skirt, one of them is obssessed with one specific woman (who he eventually gets together with because gently caress that show), one pretty much has no interest in women but is horrible to them a lot

all three of these are played for laughs

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

CGI Stardust posted:

Took a while to finish writing this, hope it's not too out of sync. I may have got something wrong here, I'm a rank amateur :v:

It's not just the distribution of the current tech that's the problem, it's also the mindset of society towards tech and the natural world, and the values integrated into tech as it exists. The first is the standard left economic critique of ownership, nothing new for this thread. The others are worth some exploration imo.
Very interesting. I have thought of most of that stuff before, but never quite assembled it into a coherent whole, but this helped. Humans have to take on the mantle of vanguard party to liberate the natural world.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

CGI Stardust posted:

I still need to read Helen Hester's full big book.

I think I agree with most of this. Distribution isn't just economic, but also structural, but economic maldistribution is the lens that we view it through most in a liberal capitalist society, most people don't say "women shouldn't have access to birth control unless they're married, it's a plot to destroy the family" now but plenty say "women should pay for their own birth control I don't see why my taxes" and so the structural becomes the personal and financial.

wrt standpoints, I tend to think of it as "everyone has a set of biases based on how they were socialized, and it's not good or bad, it just is". So people with low levels of skin melanin may have the 'white bias', not because of a chemical factor of melanin, but because of their socialization, and in the same way people with high levels may have the 'black bias'. This only becomes problematic when a whole bunch of people with the same bias are in positions of power.

Like with the tech example, a bunch of Nigerian engineers would not create a facial recognition system that could not recognize black faces, because they wouldn't call it a facial recognition system if it couldn't do that. They'd call it a waste of time.

Add multigenerational income inelasticity and social capital to that and you've got yourself some structural racism that can justify a call for all BAME tech groups above "but can't we just select the best tech people?" liberalism.

quote:

(birbs from google)
good birbs

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
The Scottish government have launched a support program for EU nationals needing help with the settlement scheme, including a phone number for free expert advice.

https://www.mygov.scot/eu-exit-citizens/

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

this one is the best bird, for being both hummingbird and hawk. two birds at once, quantum supbirbposition.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Coohoolin posted:

The Scottish government have launched a support program for EU nationals needing help with the settlement scheme, including a phone number for free expert advice.

https://www.mygov.scot/eu-exit-citizens/

Left that a bit late

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

radmonger posted:

Not medieval farmers; are you thinking of hunter gatherers?

Just go visit any museum of rural living and look at the stuff people had to make and do, or read any contemporary account. No way any modern person, except perhaps game developers, ever averaged more working hours a year than a pre-Industrial farmer.

If anyone was working 20 hours a week, it was because they owned the farm and people to do the work.

Depends on the time of year. There's not much to do in winter also it gets dark quick and you don't have artificial light.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Forgot to add

CGI Stardust posted:

Any other material that's constructively tech-critical (but not anti-tech!) would be appreciated, I'm pretty interested in left tech writing
Been a while, but Radical Technologies by Adam Greenfield was interesting. Very anti-tech elite and technotarian lol, but not anti-tech.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

forkboy84 posted:

Left that a bit late

We were wondering why something like this hadn't already been launched, but the settlement scheme deadline is June 2021 and it's probably a pain to set up so I'm happy and very very relieved.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

feedmegin posted:

Depends on the time of year. There's not much to do in winter also it gets dark quick and you don't have artificial light.

or really in the summer, once everything's planted you're not doing too much more than sitting around waiting for it to grow (depending on the crop ofc)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Just seen someone from Unite confirm that they will be running candidates in North Belfast & East Belfast in the next election because of the utter failure of the DUP to use their influence to get the Tories to save the jobs at Harland & Wolff. Notable because Nigel Dodds majority is just 4.5% in Belfast North. Gavin Robinson's majority in East Belfast is 19.8% so likely unassailable but fingers crossed this harms both of the shites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

feedmegin posted:

Julio Cruz posted:

or really in the summer, once everything's planted you're not doing too much more than sitting around waiting for it to grow (depending on the crop ofc)

Hmmm it depends really. Harvest time you'd be putting in as many hours as there was daylight, then depending on your feudal contract you'd be doing additional labour for the lord on any days you weren't tending to your own land.

The regimen is incomparable because time was done by days and seasons rather than hours and minutes so yes there wasn't the same time pressures and there was more freedom to do things how you'd like them done but there was still very very hard times.

Ultimately only communism will liberate us.