Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

IronicDongz posted:

ds2's movement does not feel fine if you've played the other games in the series that have full radial movement instead of just specific angles

What are you talking about? I don't think that's a thing in DS2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

IronicDongz posted:

ds2's movement does not feel fine if you've played the other games in the series that have full radial movement instead of just specific angles

I've played all three games and have never noticed a difference in how DS2 controls in terms of angular/radial movement compared to DS1/DS3.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Vermain posted:

I still have no idea what people mean when they refer to DS2's movement as feeling "wrong" or "different." The only difference I've ever noticed between it and DS1/DS3 is how rolling direction is calculated and the overall responsiveness of the dash/roll command in DS2 compared to the others. What specifically do people feel is different with its movement?

King of Solomon posted:

What are you talking about? I don't think that's a thing in DS2.

It is impossible to wiggle like this in DS2, no matter what tricks or deadzone fixes you use. It is simply not possible to move at vanishingly small angles relative to the camera, that movement is not possible in the game code.

https://imgur.com/zzRxYig

If you're fine with that or didn't notice it, good for you. I did, and it's not nitpicky of me or the other people who are bothered by it. Obviously that specific wiggle is not a useful movement to make in the game, but it's the most straightforward example of how the movement is different.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
it's so extremely obvious how you snap to the x/y axis as you move I don't know how you couldn't notice it. it feels really artificial and bad.

don't you notice in that first video I linked, at that timestamp, as he moves the stick smoothly from forward to left or right instead of smoothly changing direction his character is making these abrupt changes in direction to face the cardinal directions? like, in vanilla ds2 if you hold forward and then slightly turn your stick left or right your angle of movement won't change at all(you will keep walking 100% straight forward instead of forward and slightly left or right) until your stick goes past a certain point to the side, and then the movement translation happens all at once.

e: in ds1/ds3, your character moves exactly as you move the stick. in ds2, the character only moves at certain specific angles-whichever one your stick is closest to is the one you move in. so it feels like you don't have total control of your character.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 12, 2019

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

IronicDongz posted:

it's so extremely obvious how you snap to the x/y axis as you move I don't know how you couldn't notice it. it feels really artificial and bad.

My suspicion is that a lot of the differing opinions I have with regards to the controls come from the fact that I played exclusively with KB+M for all three games. Being able to constantly microadjust the camera's forward viewing angle means that the ability to make subtle left/right turning adjustments doesn't matter as much for gameplay.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Kawabata posted:

You can but it's much more punishing because too many enemies in this game spam 360 swings with impossible range that are somehow also lightining fast and deal massive damage. DS3 is the cheapest in the series by a landslide.

Funny anecdote: first time I got to Pontiff I tried to beat him the way I would a BB boss. I found it very frustrating because he was so spammy that even after I got his timing down sometimes I didn't have enough stamina to hit him after his barrage. Again I hope DLCs are better but so far DS3 is not as good as other games in the series (except maybe DS2), imo they were running on fumes mechanics wise and it shows.

Not saying there aren't some outliers (Gundyr, Dancer are very well done imo). Thing is, when a BB boss kills you you're like "was I too timid? am I timing my aggression right? let's get right into it again", when you lose to a DS3 boss it's usually "oh, he's spamming that move that covers the entire room and hits me for 40%hp, do I cheese him or do I level up more and then cheese him". Going from a game that allows you to be as aggressive as you want to this slog feels like a big step back in gameplay. Actually, maybe it's just that and I'm too harsh on DS3. Maybe I would've enjoyed it a lot more if I played it before BB and not after.

I definitely think that going from BB to Souls and vice versa is very jarring. BB was the last game in the series I played and I absolutely hated it on my first playthrough, then I went through my usual ritual of reading wikis and watching let's plays, and saw examples of how the combat is supposed to flow, it quickly became like on par with DS1 for me

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Vermain posted:

My suspicion is that a lot of the differing opinions I have with regards to the controls come from the fact that I played exclusively with KB+M for all three games. Being able to constantly microadjust the camera means that the ability to make subtle left/right turning adjustments doesn't matter as much for gameplay.

Why would you argue about the feel of the analog movement when you've only played with digital movement for all three games? SMH

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

feelix posted:

It is impossible to wiggle like this in DS2, no matter what tricks or deadzone fixes you use. It is simply not possible to move at vanishingly small angles relative to the camera, that movement is not possible in the game code.

https://imgur.com/zzRxYig

If you're fine with that or didn't notice it, good for you. I did, and it's not nitpicky of me or the other people who are bothered by it. Obviously that specific wiggle is not a useful movement to make in the game, but it's the most straightforward example of how the movement is different.

Yeah, I've never noticed anything like that, and I played all of the From games with a controller, both on console and PC. If anything, I felt like I had more control in DS2 than DS1 because the roll was so much less limited and the addition of stick jump.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

If I recall, you can alter the startup time for sprinting and jumping by changing some integers in the player movement parameters.

Admittedly, it is a bit nice to lower them.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I think I'm finally starting to lose interest in dark souls. I'm at irithyll and I just don't want to play much.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

vandalism posted:

I think I'm finally starting to lose interest in dark souls. I'm at irithyll and I just don't want to play much.

irithyl dungeon is not going to do anything to change your mind

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Yeah everything but DS2 has nice super responsive analog controls, DS2 doesn't feel nearly as good in that regard. That's what I have never been able to enjoy a DEX build in that game, you feel like a robot trying to be a ninja. Gotta roll with the big smash stuff in that one

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Irythill is good for invasions and street fighting, not much else. It doesn't help that its part of a chain of levels that are super derivative of previous Souls games.

-The least imaginative swamp level yet
-The catacombs, again
-Snowy Yharnam
-The least imaginative jail level yet. Might be in my top 5 worst areas in these games. To compare it to Tower of Latria is a joke.

Lothric Castle is decent enough though, as is the Cathedral.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

IronicDongz posted:

If you have to explain it like this, maybe it wasn't extremely obvious

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I explained it in detail because I'm kind of incredulous someone wouldn't notice it while playing

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Yeah if you go from one of the other games to it or vice versa WHEN USING AN ANALOG CONTROLLER, it's very obvious.

On other news, Demons Souls just got a proper 60FPS patch for RPCS:
https://youtu.be/5oBSR5fAyTU

Praise it

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

IronicDongz posted:

I explained it in detail because I'm kind of incredulous someone wouldn't notice it while playing
Yeah what i mean is that if a whole bunch of people itt hadn't noticed it, maybe it's not as obvious as you think

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

IronicDongz posted:

I didn't really notice it first time through actually, I noticed it after doing a full playthrough of the series and going back to DS2, and investigating why going back to DS2 felt like poo poo, unlike going back to DS1 or DeS. The people who don't notice it probably just aren't skilled enough gamers to notice the restricted movement :smug:

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
I mean one of the arguments for DS2>DS1 is that DS2 has omnidirectional rolling while locked on - -these savages actually lock on lol lmao

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I'm not very good at videogames but the weird jerky turning your character does when you move your stick in a circle instead of just moving in a circle is a pretty noticable thing

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

feelix posted:

I mean one of the arguments for DS2>DS1 is that DS2 has omnidirectional rolling while locked on - -these savages actually lock on lol lmao

It's a small quality of life thing that makes the game feel better to play. Like, is the game better because you don't have to worry about accidentally jumping when you try to roll? No, but it's a nice QoL feature.

If you want to get into reasons why someone might like DS2 over DS1 (or the inverse) you have to get into bigger things, and a lot of that is super subjective anyway.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I love all three DS games, or four if you include Demon's Souls but DS2 has the weirdest movement of all and I've played it both on PC and PS4 with different gamepads (xbox360 and xbone on PC and DS4 on PS4). I can jump from Bloodborne to DS3 to DS1 and the analog movement feel the same while let's say sprinting and turning in DS2 is different.

It may be me of course since I have no raw data but I've read that a lot or other players think and feel the same. And I'm not saying that this is a bad thing but that DS2's handling feels weird, like parrying, the whole thing about iframes tied to agility... etc...

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

IronicDongz posted:

don't you notice in that first video I linked, at that timestamp, as he moves the stick smoothly from forward to left or right instead of smoothly changing direction his character is making these abrupt changes in direction to face the cardinal directions? like, in vanilla ds2 if you hold forward and then slightly turn your stick left or right your angle of movement won't change at all(you will keep walking 100% straight forward instead of forward and slightly left or right) until your stick goes past a certain point to the side, and then the movement translation happens all at once.

e: in ds1/ds3, your character moves exactly as you move the stick. in ds2, the character only moves at certain specific angles-whichever one your stick is closest to is the one you move in. so it feels like you don't have total control of your character.

I understand what you mean. DS2 feels like you're trying to slide a fridge around on ice, or like it's D-pad movement with analog controls. DS1 and DS3 have almost exactly 1:1 controls and animations, while DS2 has an entirely different animation/movement/physics base that's extremely blatant if your muscle memory is attuned to the other games in the series. It feels soooooo sluggish and yet floaty, with really artificially delayed animations a lot of the time too.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
Man I'm reaching the end of Ashes of Ariandel and it's a huge pile of poo poo, thread was right.

Highlights so far: getting 8 comboed in the back by some freddy krueger beetle thing that was lying in ambush, dying during a weird platforming vine section with archers knocking you off, beating R1 spamming dude and his wolf (that was a boss???), getting hosed up by vikings with infinite poise and infinite stamina spamming 360 swings forever.

This is even funnier when you consider that I bought the season pass because I was unsatisfied with the base game, thinking hey, maybe there's some cool new cont-

*gets stunlocked to death by 6 wolves*

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Snowfield is the worst part of Ashes. Run like hell, fighting isn’t worth it.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

axolotl farmer posted:

Snowfield is the worst part of Ashes. Run like hell, fighting isn’t worth it.

Yeah I'm fighting Sister Friede right now. Again, she's not a terrible boss by any means but she's basically discount Lady Maria, made artificially harder by the three phases and spastic Ariandel making GBS threads all over the place. Typical "and then we doubled it" DS3 boss philosophy. :(

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
People who complain about "deadzones" in ds2 are shizophrenics screaming at the ghosts in their head and the flouride in their tap water.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Arrhythmia posted:

People who complain about "deadzones" in ds2 are shizophrenics screaming at the ghosts in their head and the flouride in their tap water.

I loved DS2, if I had one complaint it was the durability of weapons degraded so fast.

Otherwise, out of the 3 souls game I had the most fun PvP'n in 2.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Arrhythmia posted:

Nah, we posted proof. People who deny the dead zones in DS2 are flat earthers.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Arrhythmia posted:

I also like to personally insult people who don't like videogames i like and/or have a different experience from me

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
I just want more rat covenant. Give me my den of fuckery!

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Mesadoram posted:

I loved DS2, if I had one complaint it was the durability of weapons degraded so fast.

Otherwise, out of the 3 souls game I had the most fun PvP'n in 2.

Yeah 2s covenants were great. Ratbro, bellbro were both really fun.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Kawabata posted:

Man I'm reaching the end of Ashes of Ariandel and it's a huge pile of poo poo, thread was right.

Highlights so far: getting 8 comboed in the back by some freddy krueger beetle thing that was lying in ambush, dying during a weird platforming vine section with archers knocking you off, beating R1 spamming dude and his wolf (that was a boss???), getting hosed up by vikings with infinite poise and infinite stamina spamming 360 swings forever.

This is even funnier when you consider that I bought the season pass because I was unsatisfied with the base game, thinking hey, maybe there's some cool new cont-

*gets stunlocked to death by 6 wolves*

IIRC there's very little unique loot in the entire snowfield area. you might as well just look at a map of the zone, figure out which specific item you want from there, beeline to it on a suicide run and then never go back. the entire DLC should have started at the rope bridge leading up to the church

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Finally bodied Sister Friede. First boss of the Ringed City is cheap, spammy, stupid, and too long. Did they leave the DLCs to a team of interns? Because holy poo poo between the specters spawning between your feet dragging you under and the angel laser Gears of War cover gameplay area it doesn't even feel like a DS game anymore.

People were ok with this when Ringed City came out? Why don't I see both DLCs rated zero by everyone, because seriously, who actually likes this?

EDIT: lol I have 42 vigor and the demon prince has a normal swipe with no particular windup that catches you and instakills you

Kawabata fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Aug 13, 2019

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Kawabata posted:

Finally bodied Sister Friede. First boss of the Ringed City is cheap, spammy, stupid, and too long. Did they leave the DLCs to a team of interns? Because holy poo poo between the specters spawning between your feet dragging you under and the angel laser Gears of War cover gameplay area it doesn't even feel like a DS game anymore.

People were ok with this when Ringed City came out? Why don't I see both DLCs rated zero by everyone, because seriously, who actually likes this?

The Demon Prince is just a typical Bloodborne/DS3 piece of poo poo particle effect dodge-fest, no? That's exactly what DS games feel like at this point. That's actually why I liked the laser spam, it was something different for once. It will actually get even more cover-based later, lol. Ashes is meh but I was definitely impressed enough by the level design of TRC for it to wow me, bosses sucking was pretty much par for the course at that point so it didn't make a difference to me either way.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

feelix posted:

The Demon Prince is just a typical Bloodborne/DS3 piece of poo poo particle effect dodge-fest, no? That's exactly what DS games feel like at this point. That's actually why I liked the laser spam, it was something different for once. It will actually get even more cover-based later, lol. Ashes is meh but I was definitely impressed enough by the level design of TRC for it to wow me, bosses sucking was pretty much par for the course at that point so it didn't make a difference to me either way.

It is a piece of poo poo particle effect spamfest but it's not the way BB bosses are imo. This is a very long and boring boss for...reasons?

Oh god even more cover based than that? I don't know if I can take it.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Sleekly posted:

Yeah 2s covenants were great. Ratbro, bellbro were both really fun.

NG+ was a great surprise as well.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
IMO the best NG+ in any of these games is Sekiro, because the way the game is structured it's when you're really filling out the upper tier upgrades and skills and your attack power just keeps going up. DS2 did some interesting stuff to change up encounters but they feel kind of like easter eggs. in Sekiro NG+ feels like a natural extension of NG and I feel like if you don't play it, you're missing out on half the appeal of the game.

skasion fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Aug 14, 2019

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Kawabata posted:

EDIT: lol I have 42 vigor and the demon prince has a normal swipe with no particular windup that catches you and instakills you
there's no fuckin way the demon prince oneshot you with a swipe with 42 vit

I don't understand how you're this angry from enemies "spamming"(aka just... attacking repeatedly) and area gimmicks like the laser dodging. do you just want the game to play like ds1, with areas like ds1?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
It does suck though

It worked better in BB with rally but it still kind of sucked, a ton of bosses you could just spam R1 and just kinda guess when you should dodge, there are a ton of bosses I've beat solo and I have no idea what their moveset or tells are, it's all a blur of sweet hair effects (Metal Gear Solid 2 called) and unrecognizable movements because the boss is too big for the camera.

In DS3 it sucks more because there's no regain

Seriously, there's no reason for a boss to have long combos. It's disrespectful of my time as a player because it's introducing longer periods of time where I am incapable of making meaningful decisions, for what? To play some sweet animations and particle effects?