Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Pahlaniuk and Ellis both got way better treatments by Hollywood than they deserved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Pahlaniuk and Ellis both got way better treatments by Hollywood than they deserved.

I had somehow convinced myself that fight club and American psycho were by the same guy

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

their views on women and SHEEPLE are exactly aligned with hollywood's

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
wrong thread

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

StashAugustine posted:

I had somehow convinced myself that fight club and American psycho were by the same guy

I do that all the time too.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

StashAugustine posted:

Ellis is terribly impressed with his own sense of taste, but otherwise yeah, I get it.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Backpfeifengesicht

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Grape posted:

It worked better in the movie, because you had the creepy power fantasy sexism of the club, and then Helena Bonham Carter's character just no fucks stomping through the movie.

I've heard the book is uh, not so much taking the piss out of the club.

Yeah, I figured the point of Fight Club was "fight club is stupid" considering the movie ends with the lead character risking his life to destroy the leader of it. But on the other hand, the massive act of terrorism that's undertaken only damages property and is supposed to free a ton of people from debt, so it's not exactly a clear cut thing.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/LoganMBooker/status/1160617831865749506

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

HAIL ATLANTA UNITED!

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
Hank Hill wept.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

fight club is great!

where is my mind! love that poo poo

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

pathetic little tramp posted:

to be fair, it's not a "spot"

that's what cramming your body full of do-nothing testosterone for 10 years because you got a microdick does to your scalp - he's 31 in that picture

hello this is my picture. where did you find it?

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

When I put this through a predictive text bot (after editing out about 20 extraneous commas) it seemed to recognize JorPs writing and kept replying with realistic JorP-y complaints about women.

quote:

I know, I know, there can be no such thing as a true feminist, but there's no other way to put it: this woman who attacked me for something so insignificant, trivial, and of such minor symbolic significance in relation to her own mental condition deserves this criticism.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

holy poo poo, no wonder the beanie guy wars the hat. he's a karl pilkington doppelganger

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Tim Poole's smooth brain shows through his skull

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i want to shave his whole head and make him a big egg

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
he would be so round

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Grondoth posted:

Yeah, I figured the point of Fight Club was "fight club is stupid" considering the movie ends with the lead character risking his life to destroy the leader of it. But on the other hand, the massive act of terrorism that's undertaken only damages property and is supposed to free a ton of people from debt, so it's not exactly a clear cut thing.

Fight Club the movie is basically “go get laid for gently caress’s sake”, his exit from his self-loathing that spins into full terrorism is in front of him the whole time since Helena Bonham-Carter plays the whole movie as “I really connected with this dorky guy from the ‘living with’ groups, but goddamn does he have issues” and it ends with him finally accepting that she’s the only healthy part of his life, as hosed up as she is

the book ends with him failing to blow things up and ending up in a mental hospital where one of the orderlies calls him “sir” and winks, which you CAN read as “he went too far and it’s all out of his hands now” but can also just be “his revolution continues, even in losing, Jack/Tyler wins”

also openly gay Chuck being a fash is like maximum “I joined the Tigers Eating Faces Party” in waiting

edit: in fact if I remember correctly, Fincher and Pitt thought the book was very satirical and the movie was built out of that assumption

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001
A large part of it was also "the protagonist is completely insane and however superficially appealing his pseudo-philosophy appears and however momentarily engaging the community he creates might be, never forget it's all based on the feverish delusions of a madman, and won't change much regardless of how much damage it causes."

quote:

the book ends with him failing to blow things up and ending up in a mental hospital where one of the orderlies calls him “sir” and winks, which you CAN read as “he went too far and it’s all out of his hands now” but can also just be “his revolution continues, even in losing, Jack/Tyler wins”

I read that part as "They remained convinced of his genius and confidently awaited his next signal, unaware that he was actually a loon and nothing ultimately would ever come of it."

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
the narrator definitely wants to gently caress tyler though. whole book about closet gay sex

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Fincher is much, much smarter than Palahnuik, that’s for sure. dude got called in by Kathleen Kennedy to maybe do a Star Wars side story and he took the meeting and pitched a movie about droids rising up and proclaiming their right to exist free of the inherent slavery they are born into as machines

he never got a call back

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Grape posted:

It worked better in the movie, because you had the creepy power fantasy sexism of the club, and then Helena Bonham Carter's character just no fucks stomping through the movie.

I've heard the book is uh, not so much taking the piss out of the club.

I’ve never read the book but I interpreted the movie as an allegory for like a modern sort of fascism as a reaction to modern capitalism, but condemning both. The end seemed like him rejecting the weird fascist anprim cult and being a wage slave to just being with his girlfriend.

I guess I was just seeing what I wanted to see, or they starship troopered the message of the novel.

Butter Activities has issued a correction as of 20:13 on Aug 13, 2019

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

The Cameo posted:

Fincher is much, much smarter than Palahnuik, that’s for sure. dude got called in by Kathleen Kennedy to maybe do a Star Wars side story and he took the meeting and pitched a movie about droids rising up and proclaiming their right to exist free of the inherent slavery they are born into as machines

he never got a call back

Disney is so loving lame lol

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

The Cameo posted:

he never got a call back

They then made a movie with an Annoying SJW droid that was played for laughs.

I didn't know the fincher thing, lol if they added that droid to mock his pitch

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I liked the part where he complained about having no war or Great Depression three years before the beginning of the forever war.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
yeah but the great recession has defined our lives

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

The Cameo posted:

also openly gay Chuck being a fash is like maximum “I joined the Tigers Eating Faces Party” in waiting
He wasn't openly gay at the time, he got dragged out of the closet like Peter Thiel.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

man chuck must be dumb as hell if it took him that long to realize something was up. fight club alone shoulda set him up for life.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

guess who's a fan of marx now? :dance:

https://twitter.com/clairlemon/stat...genumber%3D2791

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

"real" phrenology, not that fake phrenology

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
marla is gross as hell and is a projection of the narrator's own self-loathing and gender dysphoria while tyler is an idealized sex object / role model and object of his narcissistic attachment. when he's listening to marla gently caress tyler he is imagining himself as marla. him holding hands with marla at the end is actually him accepting his true (gay) self. i've never read freud so don't reply to me

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

marla is gross as hell and is a projection of the narrator's own self-loathing and gender dysphoria while tyler is an idealized sex object / role model and object of his narcissistic attachment. when he's listening to marla gently caress tyler he is imagining himself as marla. him holding hands with marla at the end is actually him accepting his true (gay) self. i've never read freud so don't reply to me

(in extremely Ray Blanchard voice) Makes Sense

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

u can't do a freudian analysis without at least one of them symbolizing a parent he wants to gently caress

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The guy who runs Zero Hedge literally posts as Tyler Durden, and has done so for over a decade.

lol wow

when did zero hedge become relevant? all i remember about them is hearing years and years back that they had a "real inflation rate" which took into account all the secret stuff the government doesnt want you to know about. but a casual look at it was basically "we add 3% to the consumer price index" or something

i might be thinking of someone else though

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

https://twitter.com/broderick/status/1161377499655352320

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

cumshitter posted:

lol wow

when did zero hedge become relevant? all i remember about them is hearing years and years back that they had a "real inflation rate" which took into account all the secret stuff the government doesnt want you to know about. but a casual look at it was basically "we add 3% to the consumer price index" or something

i might be thinking of someone else though
it’s never really been “relevant”, but since Russian-friendly sources are all the rage now it has more reach than it used to.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyC75Wb9uXg

Auburn, CA has had a serial killer cop for awhile. Can't wait to see this whole thing.

also

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

cumshitter posted:

when did zero hedge become relevant?

Zero Hedge has always been like Bloomberg or WSJ but for CHUDs, and it's only relevant in that context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Siljmonster posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyC75Wb9uXg

Auburn, CA has had a serial killer cop for awhile. Can't wait to see this whole thing.

gently caress, I grew up in Auburn, that's depressing. I'll have to keep my eye on this one.