Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

unpacked robinhood posted:

Thanks. Do you simply call uuidN() to generate a value and use it as filename ?

Yes, but make sure to preserve the file extension because sometimes it's used to determine the content type. If you want to get fancy you can hash the file using hashlib.sha256 and use that as the identifier, which will also let you de-duplicate the files (if you notice a filename collision, then you can just use the existing file, since it would be the same if it had the same sha256 hash.)

Here's an answer on SO that would help you hash files efficiently, if you decide to go that route: https://stackoverflow.com/a/55542529

But if you don't think there will be duplicates, then using a UUID is a more simple way to avoid the problem of filename collisions.

xtal fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Aug 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

unpacked robinhood posted:

Thanks. Do you simply call uuidN() to generate a value and use it as filename ?

import uuid

job_id = str(uuid.uuid4())

Then we append the extension to the job_id.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

From a while back, about task queues for a web app

Thermopyle posted:

95% of the time I prefer python-rq. It's simple with fine docs.
I looked at this and then I looked at Huey, which I had remembered someone mentioning here, and at first glance I thought Huey would work better for me out the box -- can use SQLite instead of running Redis, didn't require extra packages for scheduled/repeatable tasks or Django integration, also its homepage doesn't stuff all text into a one-inch wide strip down the middle of my screen for some reason -- and that was completely wrong? python-rq with rq-scheduler and django-rq actually whips rear end and easily does exactly what I want, and the django-rq-scheduler package I don't actually need to use in my project (basically just adds to the Django admin interface some screens for controlling tasks, but they're pretty limited and not super useful in my case), but reading its code did give me a roadmap to storing the task information as a database entry to enable stopping/starting/changing the interval of the task on demand, which is the thing I wanted to do in the first place and could not figure out how to make work with Huey (I'm 100% sure it's doable but it's just not the API Huey presents and you'd have to hack it together).

Just making a mental note to take your word for it next time!

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

From a while back, about task queues for a web app

I looked at this and then I looked at Huey, which I had remembered someone mentioning here, and at first glance I thought Huey would work better for me out the box -- can use SQLite instead of running Redis, didn't require extra packages for scheduled/repeatable tasks or Django integration, also its homepage doesn't stuff all text into a one-inch wide strip down the middle of my screen for some reason -- and that was completely wrong? python-rq with rq-scheduler and django-rq actually whips rear end and easily does exactly what I want, and the django-rq-scheduler package I don't actually need to use in my project (basically just adds to the Django admin interface some screens for controlling tasks, but they're pretty limited and not super useful in my case), but reading its code did give me a roadmap to storing the task information as a database entry to enable stopping/starting/changing the interval of the task on demand, which is the thing I wanted to do in the first place and could not figure out how to make work with Huey (I'm 100% sure it's doable but it's just not the API Huey presents and you'd have to hack it together).

Just making a mental note to take your word for it next time!

This is helpful, I'm starting down the path of a Django project now that will send up with workers calling APIs and I'm pretty new to web app development.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Would appreciate anyone willing to ops-test the package manager I posted about earlier. Intended to improve upon the work done by Pipenv and Poetry. Probably buggy. Definitely missing features (Most-notably, being able to run scripts like Ipython, Black etc, and handling `extra` dependencies).

Appreciate any and all feedback, esp cases where it won't build or resolve deps.

Repo
Download

Can install by placing either the linux or windows binaries somewhere on the `path`, running the Deb if applicable, or installing via Cargo. Planning on a Windows installer later.

Currently on windows, after setting up an environment, you need to install `wheel` in the env manually. eg: `cd __pypackages__/3.7/.venv/bin`, `./python -m pip install wheel`.

Highlights: Doesn't use pip with a few exceptions like installing `wheel` and `twine`. Should be (later on...) much faster about resolving dependencies, due to making up for the pypi warehouse's inadequacies via caching on a custom database. Eschews a number of the decisions made by Pipenv, although similar in many ways to Poetry.

If you receive connection error panics, try again a few times; likely due to the WIP online cache.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Aug 11, 2019

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I haven't looked at the package/tool yet, but I would suggest not putting the "Why add another Python dependency manager?" part of the README so far down because that's exactly what I was thinking the entire time I was reading about it. Also, you wrote this in that section

quote:

By not requiring Python to install or run, it remains intallation-agnostic.

But you also wrote this at the top

quote:

Python ≥ 3.4 is required.

e: I'd also be interested in a more thorough comparison to Poetry because I gotta say I feel like it does everything that the readme says your package can do.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Aug 11, 2019

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

I haven't looked at the package/tool yet, but I would suggest not putting the "Why add another Python dependency manager?" part of the README so far down because that's exactly what I was thinking the entire time I was reading about it.
Done

quote:

Also, you wrote this in that section
But you also wrote this at the top
Installation as in this.
Anecdotally, in Windows this isn't a big deal, but in Linux, it's a pain.

edit: Case-in-point: I'm unable to get Poetry to work with Python3; it's latched onto my sys Python2.

quote:

e: I'd also be interested in a more thorough comparison to Poetry because I gotta say I feel like it does everything that the readme says your package can do.
Continued work on this may not be justifiable due to its similarity; didn't realize how similar Poetry was until after starting this. Tentatively, I think it's worth it for keeping the env in the proj dir, not dealing with python-installation-hell, and the online dep-resolution cache vice installing packages locally to test deps. (Both these approaches are smell for Pypi not having their poo poo together; missing and incorrect dependency info on the Pypi Warehouse is being treated as `wont-fix`.)

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Aug 11, 2019

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I've never understood that xkcd cartoon. To me, managing Python environments on Linux is easy.

- You have the system Python, which you simply shouldn't touch or use unless you're specifically working with operating system files or just need to do something basic and easy (this Python exists to for OS libraries that need a specific version of Python - the needs of the OS do not have to align with your own needs)

- You never install a Python.org binary. It's not necessary, just use anaconda.

- You have any number of virtual environments that live in their own directories. There is 1 pip and 1 conda per environment. To install new things in the environment, prefer to use conda if possible (search for the package on anaconda cloud), otherwise use pip

- You activate whichever environment you want to use at the time, or you don't activate anything if the system python is acceptable (e.g. "I just need to calculate the log10 of something real quick")

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

I've never understood that xkcd cartoon. To me, managing Python environments on Linux is easy.

- You have the system Python, which you simply shouldn't touch or use unless you're specifically working with operating system files or just need to do something basic and easy (this Python exists to for OS libraries that need a specific version of Python - the needs of the OS do not have to align with your own needs)

- You never install a Python.org binary. It's not necessary, just use anaconda.

- You have any number of virtual environments that live in their own directories. There is 1 pip and 1 conda per environment. To install new things in the environment, prefer to use conda if possible (search for the package on anaconda cloud), otherwise use pip

- You activate whichever environment you want to use at the time, or you don't activate anything if the system python is acceptable (e.g. "I just need to calculate the log10 of something real quick")

A few cases that may demonstrate the trouble:

-Managing deps through two independent repos can be confusing.

-You want to use Python3.7, but the OS v is 3.6

-You install a CLI tool that decides to use sys py2, when you want sys py3.

-You install a CLI tool. Do you install it for every venv? Sys py? Sys py with user flag? What if it expects sudo access? (ran into this with pgadmin4 recently)

-You need to calculate the eigenvalues of something real quick. (Do I go through the overhead of activating an environment? Do I install numpy to sys Py?)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Dominoes posted:

A few cases that may demonstrate the trouble:

-You install a CLI tool. Do you install it for every venv? Sys py? Sys py with user flag? What if it expects sudo access? (ran into this with pgadmin4 recently)

-You need to calculate the eigenvalues of something real quick. (Do I go through the overhead of activating an environment? Do I install numpy to sys Py?)

quote:

99.9% of the time you can just use anaconda. If you have conflicting requirements for different projects then it doesn't matter how well-designed your package manager is, because at the end of the day you'll have to create separate environments anyway, which conda can do.

quote:

Don't even mess with system Python packages. At best you get something that's not quite what you want, at worst you bork the system. It's pointless

Install tools in each environment where you want that tool to be accessible, so that your dependencies are managed correctly. Or in /usr/local somewhere if you think that all of your environments should be able to use it (e.g. its dependencies are just Python>=3.X or something)

quote:

Activating an environment is a 1-liner, the overhead is negligible. If you're never using your system python anyway then you can just modify your .bashrc so that you're always using one of your anaconda environments.

If you're using a notebook or an IDE like Spyder or PyCharm (which you should) then you should already be configured to use a good base environment for typical tasks, no additional steps necessary

My base anaconda has everything that I need for playing with pandas dataframes, numpy, scipy, astropy, plotting, etc. It has Spyder installed for when I just want to hammer something out real quick and my PyCharm points to it by default when I'm doing actual development

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Aug 12, 2019

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

It sounds like we're comparing different things; ie standard Python/PyPi vs Anaconda ecosystem.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I don’t see what the difference is. Install miniconda, set up a default python3.7 environment and keep it activated 100% of the time and install misc stuff to it. Delete it and recreate if you ever feel it gets too bloated. Specific projects I’m working on get their own dedicated environment. Other than typing “conda create …” you wont even know you’re using anaconda. You can still pip install everything and ignore the conda package manager.

Edit: I do pretty much the same thing QuarkJets does btw. If I want a permanent CLI tool accessible from anywhere then it gets an environment for it and then it’s just adding one alias to my bashrc (or you can use something like pipx to automate it). If I decide I wanted to build a flask website or whatever, then conda create -n myflaskwebsite python=3.7 and viola. For nonscientific stuff I tend to just use pip install instead of conda install just to help keep things separated in my head.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Aug 12, 2019

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Dominoes posted:

It sounds like we're comparing different things; ie standard Python/PyPi vs Anaconda ecosystem.

I see those as a subset of Anaconda. Conda environments are venvs with extra features. And if you need something that conda doesn't provide, that's okay; pip and everything else still works in your environment, everything is nicely sandboxed already so just clone your environment and go nuts

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

QuarkJets posted:

I see those as a subset of Anaconda. Conda environments are venvs with extra features. And if you need something that conda doesn't provide, that's okay; pip and everything else still works in your environment, everything is nicely sandboxed already so just clone your environment and go nuts

I find that Anaconda is more useful for delivering bullshit configs that can break very easily if you try to do it manually like CUDA and actually being able to talk to the GPUs.

I forced myself to use an Apple laptop as my primary work machine for two years and venvs was the only way to run code in shell and not have to upgrade Apple's preferred version of pip. It super hates it when you change that hah.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

EVIL Gibson posted:

I find that Anaconda is more useful for delivering bullshit configs that can break very easily if you try to do it manually like CUDA and actually being able to talk to the GPUs.

I forced myself to use an Apple laptop as my primary work machine for two years and venvs was the only way to run code in shell and not have to upgrade Apple's preferred version of pip. It super hates it when you change that hah.

I develop with CUDA and use GPUs in a professional context, and I don't have any issue using Anaconda. Have you had a specific problem?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I've gotten away from using anaconda and just use pyenv.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
Switchblade Switcharoo

QuarkJets posted:

I develop with CUDA and use GPUs in a professional context, and I don't have any issue using Anaconda. Have you had a specific problem?

Mainly with GAN networks and running them in windows. If you install python normally, it needs to have a lot of environment settings set. Conda manages all of that and i can simply use one that works and clone it rather than hoping i changed all the settings correctly to use the python enviroment i freshly installed (problem with lots of applications both mac and pc where it leaves cruft behind )

venvs keep all that in one part and conda delivers and packages those enviroments quickly so i spend less time troubleshooting where everything goes wrong.

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Aug 12, 2019

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

The real thing that needs solved with python is multiple dependencies that depend on different versions of their own dependencies.

Unfortunately, that will likely require core language support for importing specific versions.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

The real thing that needs solved with python is multiple dependencies that depend on different versions of their own dependencies.

Unfortunately, that will likely require core language support for importing specific versions.
I haven't a way to address this.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

EVIL Gibson posted:

Mainly with GAN networks and running them in windows. If you install python normally, it needs to have a lot of environment settings set. Conda manages all of that and i can simply use one that works and clone it rather than hoping i changed all the settings correctly to use the python enviroment i freshly installed (problem with lots of applications both mac and pc where it leaves cruft behind )

venvs keep all that in one part and conda delivers and packages those enviroments quickly so i spend less time troubleshooting where everything goes wrong.

For sure, it's a godsend. Machine learning software is full of landmines, so much so that I've seen people flat recommended to just use some docker container because they couldn't remember how they set up their configuration

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

EVIL Gibson posted:

I dont do it professionally but I recall setting up Tensorflow (GPU version) and getting Cuda to work right on Win 10 at that time (~1 year ago) required a shocking amount of work compared to what I was expecting. I generally prefer conda installing for exactly the reasons above and pip install only when a conda version isnt available.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Docker is good and people should use it for things that are hard to configure. Or lots of things that are not that hard to configure.

Yesterday I needed to ping a redis server somewhere from a Windows machine that didn't have redis installed and doesn't need redis installed.

I just typed:

docker run --rm -it redis redis-cli -h thehost ping

Downloaded and installed redis in a container, ran the ping command, and then removed the container.

tensorflow runs fine in docker and if I was actively doing any tensorflow stuff right now it's what I'd use.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Dumb question I can’t figure out: how do you get PyCharm on windows to see packages installed to python on ubuntu/WSL?

I found jetbrains’ instructions to get the interpreter setup, and that’s working fine, but PyCharm still can’t resolve a bunch of references because it doesn’t see, for example, that Django is installed.

I miss my MacBook.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Krakkles posted:

Dumb question I can’t figure out: how do you get PyCharm on windows to see packages installed to python on ubuntu/WSL?

I found jetbrains’ instructions to get the interpreter setup, and that’s working fine, but PyCharm still can’t resolve a bunch of references because it doesn’t see, for example, that Django is installed.

I miss my MacBook.

You don't, you'll have to install those packages in windows as well.

There is a way to symlink stuff between WSL and windows, but it'll be a huge pain in the rear end and probably not work right.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Hmmm. So even though python is running on WSL, install it (and pip) on windows and just update the requirements.txt regularly?

Thank you! That probably isn’t too bad, now that I think about it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Krakkles posted:

I miss my MacBook.

I haven't done it, but I think you just need to set up a remote interpreter, no?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
So I want to try this keras workspace.

https://github.com/sipeed/Maix-Keras-workspace

I don't like the instructions in the mobilenet directory.

quote:

code:
cp mobilenet_7_5_224_tf_no_top.h5 ~/.keras/models/
cp mobilenet.py /usr/local/lib/python3.5/dist-packages/keras_applications/mobilenet.py
# edit dataset dir in mbnet_keras.py, run
python3 mbnet_keras.py

Is there a way of doing this without altering a systemwide file, and storing the model in my home directory?
I know it's a big question, but all I really want to know is whether I should accept my fate or whether I can change this?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

I haven't done it, but I think you just need to set up a remote interpreter, no?
Half of it. That’s what I alluded to with the “part that’s working fine”, but it does not appear to support remote installation / verification of packages - so basically everything is highlighted as an invalid reference, because it doesn’t know that Django (for example) or other packages are installed.

It looks like “install python on windows and maintain the packages in parallel” will probably work, though, so not the end of the world. Frankly, I’m impressed this all interoperates as well as it does.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Krakkles posted:

Half of it. That’s what I alluded to with the “part that’s working fine”, but it does not appear to support remote installation / verification of packages - so basically everything is highlighted as an invalid reference, because it doesn’t know that Django (for example) or other packages are installed.

It looks like “install python on windows and maintain the packages in parallel” will probably work, though, so not the end of the world. Frankly, I’m impressed this all interoperates as well as it does.

Well, I just tried it out...and it works fine? I just followed the instructions on that page I linked.

It indexed whatever packages I had installed in WSL when I set it up.

I typed import django in a file and it highlighted it with a red squiggly as I expected. I pressed Alt-Enter on it, and it, selected install package djang, it asked me for my password in WSL, and then installed it.

The red squiggly disappeared.

If I go into settings > Project:testproject > Project Interpreter, it shows the packages I have installed in WSL and I can add/remove from there.

edit: It sucks that it doesn't support virtualenvs in WSL.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Aug 14, 2019

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Weird, I guess I still didn’t figure it out. It appears to be working under windows, though, so could be worse.

Edit: just for shiggles, tried again. Switched interpreter back, got the red squiggly, clicked “Install package Django” ... silent failure. (As in, no error message, *nothing* happens)

Switch back to windows python where I installed from requirements, all the squigglies disappear.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Aug 14, 2019

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

If you’ve set up the remote interpreter correctly then you shouldn’t even notice that it’s remote, so you must be doing something wrong.

Are you on the pro version? Iirc remote interpreters might not be available for the free version.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

On a maybe related note I just learned what Vagrant is and even aside from replicating the production environment wow is this more convenient than trying to use a spare Raspberry Pi to host Redis and MySQL and run my rq-workers (cause I code on Windows and Windows does not fork()). PyCharm integration is nice too -- paying for Professional has been worth it if only to get me to learn what some of the tools it supports actually do.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

On a maybe related note I just learned what Vagrant is and even aside from replicating the production environment wow is this more convenient than trying to use a spare Raspberry Pi to host Redis and MySQL and run my rq-workers (cause I code on Windows and Windows does not fork()). PyCharm integration is nice too -- paying for Professional has been worth it if only to get me to learn what some of the tools it supports actually do.

If you think that's nice, wait until you learn about Docker!

Krakkles posted:

Weird, I guess I still didn’t figure it out. It appears to be working under windows, though, so could be worse.

Edit: just for shiggles, tried again. Switched interpreter back, got the red squiggly, clicked “Install package Django” ... silent failure. (As in, no error message, *nothing* happens)

Switch back to windows python where I installed from requirements, all the squigglies disappear.

I'd first try creating a new project and come up with a minimal reproducible case and then raise an issue on their issue tracker. They're very responsive to bugs, and even if it turns out to be a mistake on your part, they'll tell you what to do.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Thermopyle posted:

If you think that's nice, wait until you learn about Docker!

I'd first try creating a new project and come up with a minimal reproducible case and then raise an issue on their issue tracker. They're very responsive to bugs, and even if it turns out to be a mistake on your part, they'll tell you what to do.

Can you tell me how i can install Docker without HyperV? I thought it was impossible because only the enterprise edition can install without HyperV but I found a project called DockerToolbox.

Then it went ahead and crashed on install because... of HyperV.

For your consideration, I would like not to use HyperV because VirtualBox and me having many version of Windows to reverse engineer malware and other sorts of fun things.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

You can't have hyperv installed at all if you want to run virtual box.

Also, docker toolbox is legacy and not recommended.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

EVIL Gibson posted:

Can you tell me how i can install Docker without HyperV? I thought it was impossible because only the enterprise edition can install without HyperV but I found a project called DockerToolbox.

Then it went ahead and crashed on install because... of HyperV.

For your consideration, I would like not to use HyperV because VirtualBox and me having many version of Windows to reverse engineer malware and other sorts of fun things.

I just use HyperV.

However, Docker recently announced Docker for WSL 2, which doesn't use HyperV!

Of course, it's a tech preview, and you have to be using an Insider Edition of Windows to use WSL 2. I would expect both of those limitations to not last too long.

FWIW, I use KVM on my home server to run many different versions of Windows and stuff...you might be in a position to use that?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Hey, I've never messed with any sort of image manipulation and I want to dick around with writing my own thresholds/convolutions/filters.

Whats a good library for giving me access to an image's pixel's data?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

ImageMagick?

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
I thought OpenCV was the thing people used. I used it to detect horizontal lines and squares on images once :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Thermopyle posted:

I just use HyperV.

However, Docker recently announced Docker for WSL 2, which doesn't use HyperV!

Of course, it's a tech preview, and you have to be using an Insider Edition of Windows to use WSL 2. I would expect both of those limitations to not last too long.

FWIW, I use KVM on my home server to run many different versions of Windows and stuff...you might be in a position to use that?

Unfortunately, WSL2 does appear to require Hyper V.

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandline/wsl-2-post-build-faq/