Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Aurum Vale sucks especially with an inexperienced white mage

Never change, Piss Cave.

For what it's worth, I think Coincounter's the easiest boss in there, once you get used to his telegraphs. The others are more annoying because you have to keep eating morbol fruits to clear the bleed debuff before it gets overwhelming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah you can literally solo Coincounter

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
aurum vale owns

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

StrixNebulosa posted:

I can only remind you that Squadron CNJs are the most inexperienced white mages

Also that Squadron tanks don't believe in tank busters

(I've never beaten Squadron AV Coincounter as a DPS, I'm not sure it's possible)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

We did it! After wiping to the random encounters, then to the poison miniboss, then to coincounter twice. But we did it! :toot:

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Can I make these little chat bubbles bigger? I play on 3440x1440 ultra wide and they're a little hard to read.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
According to the most recent live letter, I believe they're working on that.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Cool. Also yeah is game looks great ultrawide maxed out with some reshade

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

StrixNebulosa posted:

In a game that has changed and evolved so radically throughout its lifespan, Aurum Vale sucking is the only true constant

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Finished 2.0 last night, myself, and woooow yeah that's a ton of unlocks to go through. Excal newbie pals-- we should definitely do binding coil sometime, I don't really mind doing it unsynced so long as I can get the story stuff, but doing it "right" would be cool, too-- hmu for all your mediocre black mage needs.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

in ESO don't you have like 6 total combat buttons
Yes. ESO is good but trying to aim if you're on a controller is obnoxious. I found it much more irritating than FF14 because a lot of abilities just felt clumsy to use on controller. FF14 has to compromise because it has such a huge number of buttons to push but overall I found it a lot more consistent.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

neongrey posted:

Finished 2.0 last night, myself, and woooow yeah that's a ton of unlocks to go through. Excal newbie pals-- we should definitely do binding coil sometime, I don't really mind doing it unsynced so long as I can get the story stuff, but doing it "right" would be cool, too-- hmu for all your mediocre black mage needs.

I cannot stress how important it's been to take it slow and do crafting and fishing inbetween unlocking new dungeons and stuff. Instead of getting mad at pointless missions like I was when I was trying to finish 2.0, now I'm just going "yeah okay, I'll talk to a zombie" and so on.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

That boss is easy, you just have to pee into his mouth.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

neongrey posted:

Coil is hard to do synced because it was the high end raid stuff of 2.0 (until savage coil came out), and gear will take you a long way but some of the fights have a lot of unforgiving mechanics. EX primals are way more doable synced

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

homeless snail posted:

Coil is hard to do synced because it was the high end raid stuff of 2.0 (until savage coil came out), and gear will take you a long way but some of the fights have a lot of unforgiving mechanics. EX primals are way more doable synced

oh yeah, i expect it's nasty and more likely i'll just hop on some unsynced group but hey, there'd been some talk about it over the past few pages so I figured I might as well throw my pointy hat in the ring.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I cannot stress how important it's been to take it slow and do crafting and fishing inbetween unlocking new dungeons and stuff. Instead of getting mad at pointless missions like I was when I was trying to finish 2.0, now I'm just going "yeah okay, I'll talk to a zombie" and so on.

Story stuff tends to be my primary goad, but yeah, I'm planning to amble around a lot more now that I'm through the first big push.

also crystal tower, hell fuckin yeah, it's me, i'm the FF3 nerd, pump that poo poo into my veins

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

homeless snail posted:

Counterpoint: a lot of the mechanics are very simple compared to the ones in modern EX trials, casual raids, and hell even some dungeon bosses. You sync to ilevel 130, which is way higher than what most people were at when it was relevant, AND you get 20% echo, so a lot of those unforgiving mechanics end up being fairly lenient. Plus the potency buff that everyone got in 5.0 means you'll do even more damage. Most of the difficulty would come from the mechanics not using the markers that have since become standard.

I say give it a shot, as long as you bring someone who knows what they're doing.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

neongrey posted:

I'm on Famfrit but I'd be very happy to hop over with a Dark Knight, Gunbreaker, Dancer, or Samurai. I haven't even started the quests for it yet but I'd like to go through with a chill group.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Squidtentacle posted:

I'm on Famfrit but I'd be very happy to hop over with a Dark Knight, Gunbreaker, Dancer, or Samurai. I haven't even started the quests for it yet but I'd like to go through with a chill group.

oh yeah, neither have I, reading the thread it sounds like we've got a good cluster of people just wrapping up 2.0? So we gotta get there, but it sounds like good times.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

BTW I have an old linkshell from back in the day that was for running cute newbies through Coil for their sweet newbie bonus. It hasn't seen much use in years, but if people are interested we could probably throw a group together. Feel free PM me in game (Agrias Elms) or on discord (F.Roboto#8815) if you're interested.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

You guys weren't kidding about Mor Dhona having a billion quests, drat!

Do It’s definitely pirates. That’s got one of my top 5 dungeon themes still. It’s also a good example of the conversion of a dungeon to a hard mode.

I think you need to do Hullbreaker Isle first for the whole story to fit.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

Aurum Vale is probably the first <50 dungeon to result in frequent wipes. There's usually at least one person who you need to explain the mechanics with the fruits to, and Coincounter is a bit tricky as an early boss with an AoE that isn't telegraphed with a red area. People also frequently die in the very first room due to standing in the goo or grabbing adds.

That dungeon holds the dubious distinction of the time I encountered the Maddest Guy I've ever seen in FF14. This guy was just flipping his poo poo that the BLM (or RDM or something, forget the other class) was not transferring mana to him as a healer. Like, my dude, if you're running out of mana in a <50 dungeon the problem is almost certainly with you. That guy ended up ragequitting the group.

OpinionCushion
May 6, 2002
It doesn't look like an ice sculpture.... OR DOES IT??

StrixNebulosa posted:

By the way, we have a cross-world linkshell for goons on Crystal, if you're interested in joining.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

How well does the game handle cross-realm play? I'm all kinds of up for this, but I don't want to murder everyone with my EU ping.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

OpinionCushion posted:

By the way, we have a cross-world linkshell for goons on Crystal, if you're interested in joining.

How do I access that? I'm on Coeurl.

OpinionCushion
May 6, 2002
It doesn't look like an ice sculpture.... OR DOES IT??

StrixNebulosa posted:

How do I access that? I'm on Coeurl.

If you're on right now, I'll find you shortly, you just have to be out of any instances.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

pumpinglemma posted:

How well does the game handle cross-realm play? I'm all kinds of up for this, but I don't want to murder everyone with my EU ping.

You can only play with other people on the same datacenter.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

OpinionCushion posted:

If you're on right now, I'll find you shortly, you just have to be out of any instances.

Logging in right now, hit me up.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I'd love to heal through Coils, I'd be synced way down but I don't care even a little. My schedule is hosed for the next few weeks but I'm Daevan Card on Excal and if I'm online and have the time, I'll White Mage you good.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS
Aurum Vale isn't the worst ARR dungeon imo. Copperbell and Cutter's Cry are worse. Toto-rak is worse because the webs and heavies are annoying, and it always goes on a bit longer than you expect.

Tam-tara and Stone Vigil are of course the best overall, with the first pull of DD being the best part of any dungeon maybe ever.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Krabboss posted:

Aurum Vale isn't the worst ARR dungeon imo. Copperbell and Cutter's Cry are worse. Toto-rak is worse because the webs and heavies are annoying, and it always goes on a bit longer than you expect.

Tam-tara and Stone Vigil are of course the best overall, with the first pull of DD being the best part of any dungeon maybe ever.

It isn't the worst; it just causes the most wipes in my experience.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Ive probably seen more pug wipes in cutter's cry than in every other 2.0 dungeon combined

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Just saved the day in Titan EX with a perfectly-timed Superbolide. Goddamn, that was satisfying.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

I'm on in Famfrit for a bit tonight and will probably be on most of the day tomorrow. Feel free to PM/friend Shemia Hazai when I'm around.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

My new favourite hobby in ADR is hitting Superbolide right after pulling the boss for no reason other than to watch the healers freak out.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Flavahbeast posted:

Ive probably seen more pug wipes in cutter's cry than in every other 2.0 dungeon combined

i just unlocked this and watched a video so i am prepared to tank. i know deep down in my soul that i am going to screw up the eye color stack/run thing.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Popping SB on cooldown even if you don't need it is actually a pro speed strat because you get an extra bit of LB gauge for being healed at critical HP.

(i'm only half serious about this)

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Awesome! posted:

i just unlocked this and watched a video so i am prepared to tank. i know deep down in my soul that i am going to screw up the eye color stack/run thing.

if it makes you feel any better, for a special bit of "high level" content they used this as a miniboss and i've had parties where we almost wiped to it even though we were all in i370 synced gear

like the healer's dead and people are asking if anyone has a phoenix down

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Countblanc posted:

aurum vale owns

this

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Awesome! posted:

The good news is that if you know how to handle that chimera, you know how to handle every single other chimera in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

similarly, if you know how to handle coincounter, you know how to handle almost every cyclops and minotaur in the game

basically what i'm trying to say is

Countblanc posted:

aurum vale owns