Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

This is almost as bad as Danganronpa translating "yen" to "dollars" but keeping the numerical values the same. Nevermind the oddity of Japanese students using dollars anyway.

God the official translations for that series annoy me.

This reminds me when it actually happened in Persona 1 if you glitch yourself into a dummied out subquest and someone is like "give me 5000 yen" which isn't too bad but it suddenly becomes "give me 5000 dollars" and you gotta get to grindin'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

This is almost as bad as Danganronpa translating "yen" to "dollars" but keeping the numerical values the same. Nevermind the oddity of Japanese students using dollars anyway.

God the official translations for that series annoy me.

Why would they do that in a game about Japanese people set in Japan.

There are times to localize currency, but that’s not one. (I say in the Ace Attorney thread.)

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I remember in V3 they seem to talk about this country rather than explicitly saying they're in Japan. I can't remember if they do that for the other games.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I remember in V3 they seem to talk about this country rather than explicitly saying they're in Japan. I can't remember if they do that for the other games.

I can't remember, but I do know that they all address each other by nicknames in the official translation, which is an incredibly improper thing to do in Japan if you're merely an acquaintance. In the fan translation, they all address each other by last name.

Speaking of V3 I recently beat case 2 and the motive of killing for the sake of one's country and head of state did NOT translate well, haha.

Kaiser Mazoku fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Aug 13, 2019

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I can't remember, but I do know that they all address each other by nicknames in the official translation, which is an incredibly improper thing to do in Japan if you're merely an acquaintance. In the fan translation, they all address each other by last name.
I hope you aren't complaining about this choice because that's the whole point of localisation

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

I absolutely am complaining about it because it makes them seem way more familiar with each other than they should be.

Which is a huge plot point.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Yes, I have also played V3. I do not think the choice was wrong in this case (or in most any case). People using first names for each other does not indicate any special sort of familiarity in the english language, so I didn't read it as such, and most people won't.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I absolutely am complaining about it because it makes them seem way more familiar with each other than they should be.

Which is a huge plot point.

it only makes them seem way more familiar if you're intentionally trying to read japanese rules on formality/closeness into an english script

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

It's not just first names they use, but nicknames, which is an odd thing to do for people you just met no matter the culture.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i mean, the character i remember using nicknames the most (kaito) is very specifically a gregarious and almost aggressively friendly guy

so the oddness isn't a mistake, it's an intentional choice to underline his character

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

For characters like Kaito or Hagakure yeah it makes sense, but literally everyone does it and it's weird.

Edit: Except Yamada. I actually like how they handled him. (uses Mr./Ms.)

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

There's also miu's colorful nicknames but that's because she's a foul-mouthed rear end in a top hat

Also Kokichi gives nicknames, because he's a goofball, and also a loving rear end in a top hat

I can't really think of any character from V3 that throws out a bunch of nicknames that doesn't have an excuse for doing so

EDIT: yeah I guess the other games do it but reminder that those are teenagers, a lot of them pretty eccentric teenagers at that

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

RandomFerret posted:

I'm playing through the HD trilogy right now and there are some real :ironicat: lines in Justice For All:

It's weird that Max Galactica never came up in Apollo Justice, considering.

Dual Destinies final case spoilers:

Gumshoe rubs his head and grins sheepishly. They'll never find the bodies.

But lo! Edgeworth taps his nose impishly. I can never prove his crimes, but I can make the devil suffer

Gumshoe slumps his shoulders. If I quit the force, then he'll have won. These games we play

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I remember it feeling distinctly like the nicknames in at least the first game were just because the VAs couldn't figure out how to pronounce Japanese. "Owie"

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

all i'm saying is that if you don't think 'maki roll' is incredibly cute just get out of my face

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

I'm on case 4 atm and I love Maki Roll to death.

Miu also really grew on me.

V3 handles the nickname thing really well, idk why but in the earlier games it sounds weird. Maybe it is a VA thing.

Kaiser Mazoku fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Aug 13, 2019

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

V3 has a new localization team and I think it's better for the most part ("degenerate males" notwithstanding).

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

weren't 1 and 2 localized pretty quickly? i remember there being a real small gap in time between 1 and 2 first coming out in the west

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Brother Entropy posted:

weren't 1 and 2 localized pretty quickly? i remember there being a real small gap in time between 1 and 2 first coming out in the west

Yeah, they were. They had a ton of typos too. (I don't say that as a knock against the translation team, but against their management which only gave them so much time, as is often the case when it comes to this sort of thing.)

I will say I prefer the term "Ultimate" as opposed to the mouthful that is "Super High School Level Whatever".

Kaiser Mazoku fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Aug 13, 2019

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Now you're making me want to play a Danganronpa game with Phoenix and Miles as two of the people trapped.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Brother Entropy posted:

all i'm saying is that if you don't think 'maki roll' is incredibly cute just get out of my face

I have lots of thoughts about the translation issues discussed and I will refrain from sharing them here because of obvious biases. I will say, though, that while Maki Roll is cute (if redundant), the original Harumaki is very much the superior nickname.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Tesseraction posted:

Now you're making me want to play a Danganronpa game with Phoenix and Miles as two of the people trapped.

Thats the setup for PW VS Professor Layton.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Thats the setup for PW VS Professor Layton.

That's next on my list after I finish AAI2. I actually started it first but wanted to focus on the main series and ended up picking up AAI1 after AA6.

Out of interest orenronen/other multilinguists, how does the stepladder routine work in Japanese? Is it literal or is there a play on words?

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Tesseraction posted:

Out of interest orenronen/other multilinguists, how does the stepladder routine work in Japanese? Is it literal or is there a play on words?

It’s literal, though it works slightly better in Japanese. The distinction is between hashigo (ladder) and kyatatsu (stepladder). Much like in English, the first is a general word and the second is a specific type of the first, but because the words sound completely different the confusion is much more of a real life thing. In Gyakuten Saiban 4 Odoroki (Apollo) also coins kyashigo to settle the argument but I don’t remember if/how this was handled in English.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

orenronen posted:

It’s literal, though it works slightly better in Japanese. The distinction is between hashigo (ladder) and kyatatsu (stepladder). Much like in English, the first is a general word and the second is a specific type of the first, but because the words sound completely different the confusion is much more of a real life thing. In Gyakuten Saiban 4 Odoroki (Apollo) also coins kyashigo to settle the argument but I don’t remember if/how this was handled in English.

Interesting. I think this is in the second case? I'll see if I can go check it.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Tesseraction posted:

Interesting. I think this is in the second case? I'll see if I can go check it.

(short investigation later) it's in the third, and they don't (my translations are meant to be literal and not any good):

Odoroki: なんだ。こんなところにも、ハシゴが‥‥
Huh. A hashigo in a place like this too...
Apollo: Huh, another ladder.

Minuki: オドロキさん。アレはむしろ、キャタツですよ。
Odoroki-san. That's a kyatatsu actually.
Trucy: Actually, it’s technically a stepladder.

Odoroki: ‥‥めんどうだ。まとめて、”キャシゴ”と呼ぼう。
...That's annoying. Let's put them together and call it a kyashigo.
Apollo: Well hello, Ms. Fancy Pants! Please forgive my lack of ladder discrimination.

Minuki: !
Trucy: !

Minuki: ..........
Trucy: ......

Akane: キャシゴそのものより、それが置いてある”理由”が気になるね。
I'm more worried about the reason it's here than about the kyashigo itself.
Ema: I'm less worried about the stepladder, and more worried about why it's there.

Odoroki: (キャシゴが置いてある”理由”‥‥?)
(The reason the kyashigo is here...?)
Apollo: (Why is the ladder there?)

Odoroki: (そりゃ”のぼる”ため、だよな。てことは、天井に何か‥‥?)
(It's for "climbing", isn't it. Which means, something on the ceiling...?)
Apollo: (Well, to climb, right? To reach something on the ceiling?)

Minuki: ............
Trucy: ......

Minuki: みぬき。”キャシゴ”はどうかとおもうんだけどなあ‥‥
Minuki thinks kyashigo is not a good idea...
Trucy: I still say it's a stepladder.

I'm personally a fan of how Akane immediately jumps on the kyashigo bandwagon.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

orenronen posted:

I will say, though, that while Maki Roll is cute (if redundant), the original Harumaki is very much the superior nickname.
At the risk of going further off topic, that one has the obvious issue that I don't actually know what it means while I do know what a roll is.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Amppelix posted:

At the risk of going further off topic, that one has the obvious issue that I don't actually know what it means while I do know what a roll is.

Harumaki is both a play on her full name (Harukawa Maki) and means "spring roll". This might also clue you about the redundancy of Maki Roll, though I admit it is cute.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I have played these out of order and now only have 2 and 3 of the main series.

And I’m on a circus case.

With a loving clown.

Who penalizes me if I press him during cross examination.

I hate this.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

FairGame posted:

With a loving clown.

I hate this.

welcome to hell. welcome to quite possibly the nadir of the franchise.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

FairGame posted:

With a loving clown.

I hate this.

Don’t press him when he’s visibly trying to hold in a laugh.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

On the plus side, every case you play for the entire rest of the series will be better than this

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
turnabout big top is not the worst case in the trilogy let alone the whole series

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

somepartsareme posted:

turnabout big top is not the worst case in the trilogy let alone the whole series
As we cross paths, I whisper to you

"Guitar, Guitar"

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

somepartsareme posted:

I can imagine cases in the other games that are just as bad (turnabout serenade, the second half of the final case of investigations 1) but I can't think of any case in the original 3 worse than big top

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Turnabout Serenade is actively worse than Turnabout Big Top because you can actually avoid issues with Turnabout Big Top if you just pay attention and avoid the big shiny PRESS button after the first time you get dinged, whereas you HAVE to listen to the drat song over and over again in Turnabout Serenade.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Podima posted:

Turnabout Serenade is actively worse than Turnabout Big Top because you can actually avoid issues with Turnabout Big Top if you just pay attention and avoid the big shiny PRESS button after the first time you get dinged, whereas you HAVE to listen to the drat song over and over again in Turnabout Serenade.

It also has the worst instance of not letting you present evidence, when you really should be able to. The game makes sure that you know, firing the gun used in the murder would hurt the arm of the person firing it., and when you can finally present the evidence, its basically immediately dismissed.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Color Printer posted:

I can imagine cases in the other games that are just as bad (turnabout serenade, the second half of the final case of investigations 1) but I can't think of any case in the original 3 worse than big top

i would put big top above a few episodes because i actually think it's really good, but recipe for turnabout is my least favorite in the trilogy. it has some high points but victor kudo and jean armstrong are terrible, the ending is unsatisfying and the mystery is mostly not very interesting

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
big top is hands down the worst of the original trilogy but it's better than anything in AA4 at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

4-1 is legitimately one of the best first cases of the franchise, though. It’s not blatantly obvious who the real killer is as soon as you lay eyes on them, it’s not hilariously short, but it also doesn’t overstay it’s welcome like 6-1, for example.