Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Also, all y’all should hit this up before the big VR update drops tomorrow if you don’t already have the game

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/no-mans-sky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Also, all y’all should hit this up before the big VR update drops tomorrow if you don’t already have the game

You have another 8 days on this sale. So might be best to wait considering the developers tendency to overpromise

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Elmon posted:

You have another 8 days on this sale. So might be best to wait considering the developers tendency to overpromise

is it a tendency at this point? they overhyped launch but have underpromised and overdelivered on all of the subsequent updates :shrug:

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Okay, gonna bite the bullet and get Tetris Effect!

Install and launch Epic Launcher...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
EGS is barebones as gently caress even when it's working properly. There's no game sharing, no gifts, and no preloading, for example.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Gort posted:

EGS is barebones as gently caress even when it's working properly. There's no game sharing, no gifts, and no preloading, for example.

No reviews, no way to filter released vs. pre-purchase games, no forums, etc... It's literally a list of games you have to scroll through and check to see if any of those games are actually released and available to purchase in no obvious order.

It's garbage.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
The HP Reverb Pro is available for sale again, shipping on the 21st.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Gort posted:

How does Thrill of the Fight compare to Creed?

It's less arcadey. Your stamina IRL is your actual stamina, for example. It's essentially VR shadow boxing.

It's a much less flashy game, being a solo dev project, but if you want a more realistic boxing experience, then it's a far better choice. It's arguably the best VR game for exercise, too.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
I moved and my Oculus Rift Original Flavor is 2000 miles away from me at the moment, so I'm considering using that as an excuse to upgrade, probably to a Rift S. The Rift S sounds amazing as it seems to fix my problem with the Original Rift in that it has no external sensors, which took up every spare USB port and constantly complained that the 3.0 USB ports I plugged the sensors into were actually 2.0 ports. Not having to deal with sensors more or less makes this a must-buy.

Except that there's gotta be some sort of terrible thing about the Rift S to balance it out. Is there something super-wrong about the Rift S I should know about before pulling the trigger?

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It's the same price on Steam, and you can actually refund it on Steam if you don't like it (Humble Bundle tells you to gently caress off once you've used the steam key). I made the mistake of buying Doom VFR on humble and then discovering it's unplayable on Rift.

Airspace posted:

Except that there's gotta be some sort of terrible thing about the Rift S to balance it out. Is there something super-wrong about the Rift S I should know about before pulling the trigger?

If you have a wide or small IPD you may have issues with the S, as it has no hardware IPD adjustment. Also, the built in audio is nowhere near as good as the OG Rift.

Aside from those issues it's fantastic. I have an average IPD and attached some better headphones to the strap and I love it.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

It's been argued about a lot in this thread but I think the general feeling is that it's the best system for <1k$ but still a bit overpriced. The only real issue besides the obvious tracking downgrade is the panels only run at 80hz.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Jenny Agutter posted:

It's been argued about a lot in this thread but I think the general feeling is that it's the best system for <1k$ but still a bit overpriced. The only real issue besides the obvious tracking downgrade is the panels only run at 80hz.

For the majority of people it's absolutely a tracking upgrade (for reference, 80% of Rift users have 1 or 2 sensors). I would agree with this assessment before they implemented the close to the headset tracking fix, but it's more or less equivalent to a well calibrated 3 sensor setup at this point with a few deadspots you'll almost never run into in normal gameplay.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
Nate Mitchell: https://old.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/cpvv0x/thanks_for_believing_in_the_impossible/

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

hm

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Does anyone know if No Man's Sky is going to be on the Oculus store? Or is this a steam only thing.

I have it on steam already, hopefully it runs well through there.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Epic-Fail Launcher aside, Tetris Effect is incredible. I didn't think it would live up to the hype, but it does.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Claes Oldenburger posted:

Does anyone know if No Man's Sky is going to be on the Oculus store? Or is this a steam only thing.

I have it on steam already, hopefully it runs well through there.

Haven't heard of it coming to the Oculus store, so it probably won't be there tomorrow.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Pixelate posted:

I love this whole quote!

(This post was also salutary, cheers).

Can you say anything about the game you're working on? (And is it riding the Quest wave that Mutata mentions? Or for the more established formats?)

Don't have much to say yet, but my plan is to target Quest/Focus Plus/SteamVR+Viveport like my other game Home Plate Baseball. I probably will never be able to get into the Oculus store front but I might make a demo on Sidequest and sell it myself on Itch.Io.

My first VR game (Home Plate Baseball) will probably make something like $2000 in lifetime revenue after several years so I'm not really in it for the money.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

First of May posted:

Epic-Fail Launcher aside, Tetris Effect is incredible. I didn't think it would live up to the hype, but it does.

Right? It's really nice to mellow out after a long day with.

I'm already thinking about flipping this Rift for an S upgrade and seeing if that helps with my issue where it drops registering intermittently for no discernable reason. Is the tracking really comparable to 3 sensor with 0 sensors?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Owlbear Camus posted:

Right? It's really nice to mellow out after a long day with.

I'm already thinking about flipping this Rift for an S upgrade and seeing if that helps with my issue where it drops registering intermittently for no discernable reason. Is the tracking really comparable to 3 sensor with 0 sensors?

You would need to ask someone who plays the two handed shooter games to get a better full picture, but I know Echo Arena and reaching behind/around you was a popular example of how the tracking might be deficient, but the team that won the world finals last season has a player who's already switched to using the S full time. I strongly feel that tracking is overall fantastic and shouldn't be a reason not to get it (other things might be, notably the sound if that's really important to you and the IPD if you're outside the comfortable range).

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Out of curiosity, did anyone use their two sensor set up with one in front and one behind? I was playing that way for about a year or so before I upgraded to a third sensor just for the hell of it. I rarely noticed any tracking issues beforehand though, just some edge cases.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Parallelwoody posted:

Out of curiosity, did anyone use their two sensor set up with one in front and one behind? I was playing that way for about a year or so before I upgraded to a third sensor just for the hell of it. I rarely noticed any tracking issues beforehand though, just some edge cases.

I'm about to set one up this way, and from what I've heard it works pretty well!

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
Tried out VR Chat. I selected popular channels or something and scrolled down, joined a random thing.
I saw a giant waifu in underwear running around.
So I joined another channel and some kid with a russian accent accused me of hacking (their channel?) and called for a Vac-Ban?

Can someone tell me how to get to the interesting stuff? I feel totally lost with the menu. Like, climbing some mountain? Or shooting things together? I heard people talking about that in this thread and I appreciate if you can help me.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Parallelwoody posted:

I have a two sensor diagonal set up and it works perfectly to cover 360 degrees, with pretty much no issues. Its pretty much why I never bothered with a 3rd sensor.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

eleven table tennis is so good. i only just grabbed it but like, muscle memory from playing the game irl actually seems to translate into VR and it's magical

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Does anyone know how to recenter your view in Tetris Effect? The gameboard shows up left of center for me, so I either need to sit awkwardly, or hold my head to the left, which results in my neck hurting.

There doesnt seem to be a keybind for it

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Does anyone know how to recenter your view in Tetris Effect? The gameboard shows up left of center for me, so I either need to sit awkwardly, or hold my head to the left, which results in my neck hurting.

There doesnt seem to be a keybind for it

Not in game. I wound up just leaving the SteamVR option to recenter up for an occasional alt-tab, enter, alt-tab.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

RabbitWizard posted:

Tried out VR Chat. I selected popular channels or something and scrolled down, joined a random thing.
I saw a giant waifu in underwear running around.
So I joined another channel and some kid with a russian accent accused me of hacking (their channel?) and called for a Vac-Ban?

Can someone tell me how to get to the interesting stuff? I feel totally lost with the menu. Like, climbing some mountain? Or shooting things together? I heard people talking about that in this thread and I appreciate if you can help me.

Sounds like you already found some interesting stuff. :gritin:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Just did like 45 minutes of Onward without the dropout issue. Only difference is I re-calibrated from scratch and downloaded MSI afterburner to overclock my gpu. :iiam:

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Penpal posted:

is it a tendency at this point? they overhyped launch but have underpromised and overdelivered on all of the subsequent updates :shrug:
They didn't overhype they marketed an imaginary version of the game that yers of updates haven't come close to representing. Like I love the game but yeah maybe people won't trust the guys that lied about the game having online multiplayer at launch. You don't go full Molyneux.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

At least they weren't selling people on 5 and 6 figures worth of jpgs and promises.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I haven't played a minute of NMS but I wached the 11 minute Sean Murray runthrough of Beyond and holy gently caress. This is going to take an awful lot of my life if there's any depth at all to the systems.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

The Walrus posted:

I haven't played a minute of NMS but I wached the 11 minute Sean Murray runthrough of Beyond and holy gently caress. This is going to take an awful lot of my life if there's any depth at all to the systems.

I started playing a few months ago. The systems in place are deeper than I expected, but my expectations were very low.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The Walrus posted:

There’s some depth now but know that almost everything you see now was non-existent at Launch and they were selling this poo poo for $60 and :lol:

It absolutely is a joy to see this game grow through the years from the trash fire its launch was and ALL of it has been free updates.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Owlbear Camus posted:

Just did like 45 minutes of Onward without the dropout issue. Only difference is I re-calibrated from scratch and downloaded MSI afterburner to overclock my gpu. :iiam:

Are you back on USB 3.0 for the HMD?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rectus posted:

Sounds like you already found some interesting stuff. :gritin:

You know, I'm surprised nobody seems to have made a Gritty avatar yet in VRChat.

The best world to just go see weird poo poo in VRChat is The Great Pug. It's generally pretty chill, and most instances wind up with a good balance for conversation and strangeness. The climbing worlds and the like can be found pretty easily via the search tool. Also just go pick some random ones you think look interesting, you never know what you might find.

If you want something specific to try, The Climbing Carnival is THE one to try out of the climbing worlds.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Hellsau posted:

Are you back on USB 3.0 for the HMD?

No. Kept it in the 2.1 slot.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
I just installed sidequest. Is there an APK for Pavlov?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

moolchaba posted:

I just installed sidequest. Is there an APK for Pavlov?

There’s a Discord with links like this one https://storage.cloud.google.com/davevillz/PavlovVR_OpenAlpha_BuildNum_7_Patched.zip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

Thank you.

The games look cool so far.