Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Supposedly WT101 from that time frame is also commensurately better, at least according to whichever of the Russells posts on Reddit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Sat down with an Irish whiskey/spirits importer last night and had the below. To preface, I know basically nothing about Irish whiskey:

-Knappogue 12: Pretty grassy and vegetative on the nose, then spicy oak
-Knappogue 14: My favorite of the flight, a blend of ex-sherry and ex-bourbon casks, which then spends another 13 months together. The sherry profile sits behind the bourbon. Lemon on the nose but the palate turns to orange somewhere along the way
-Knappogue 16: That extra two years seems to make the sherry overpower the bourbon, and it's lost a bit of the balance.
-Knappogue 12 Barolo Wine Cask: this is the Japan-exclusive bottling that he wants me to push for him. The wine cask finish adds more fruitiness and dryness
-Ban Poitin: Basically the Irish version of moonshine, but allegedly pre-dating it (and whiskey!) by several centuries. Seems to have just as much lore surrounding it as moonshine, including claiming to be the reason whiskey was "accidentally" discovered, when someone came across poitin that had been sitting in a cask for a few years. I would say it's much easier to drink than all the moonshine/white dog I've had.

He also gave me a Túath glass. Not a massive difference from a Glencairn but one gimmick is you can lay the thing on its side without spilling the contents.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Aug 8, 2019

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Odd Mutant posted:

found a store with a couple LL/GK bottles, and a singular LL/GA one. I searched online and I haven't seen anybody talk about the LL/GA bottles, so I'm curious.

Apparently as the months went by, they had to use more and more older stock, so the later LL/G bottles could trend even older. Which could theoretically mean the LL/GK is older and maybe better than LL/GA.

I’ll have to check what my bottle is, I know my local liquor store had one LL/G left when I was there last, I have no idea if the trend continued into the LL\H bottles or not.

Or whether the story is true at all, but it is dang tasty.

I was in San Diego this week with my family and stopped in a few liquor stores. Some small ones had weller and BTAC like crazy, if you wanted to pay 1.5x secondary. The BevMo has a woodford double oaked store pick, which I almost picked up , and they had some bottles of Four Roses small batch select. I resisted, thought about getting the Four roses for trade bait up here in MN, since it’s not distributed her.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Is the LL/GK stuff supposed to extend to Russel's too? Just curious - and so glad that the WT and 4R stuff isn't nearly as subject to weird secondary market stuff.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

mekilljoydammit posted:

Is the LL/GK stuff supposed to extend to Russel's too? Just curious - and so glad that the WT and 4R stuff isn't nearly as subject to weird secondary market stuff.

I haven’t heard anything about Russel’s stuff, but like someone else said, I think it extends to WT101, which would make that an even greater value than it already is.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

A friend of mine is looking to add a couple bottles of whisk(e)y to her shelf in the near future. I've got bourbon covered, but what's a good middle of the road (read: not Islay) scotch in the $50 range? Normally I'd think Macallan or maybe a Glenmorangie but I'm not a huge scotch drinker - she likes scotch, recently got a promotion and is looking to treat herself after being primarily a JW Black drinker.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Balvenie 12 doublewood or Glendronach 12 are good sherried options.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Was able to get a bottle of E.H. Taylor Single Barrel, this one is wayyy better than their small batch. Probably lucky though as I hear there is a ton of variance.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Highland Park 12 has some smoke but has other flavors too in that price range. It was a favorite of our casual scotch tasting with friends.

Mandalay fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Aug 13, 2019

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

obi_ant posted:

Was able to get a bottle of E.H. Taylor Single Barrel, this one is wayyy better than their small batch. Probably lucky though as I hear there is a ton of variance.
I've heard the same: that Small Batch is more reliable and that any EHT single barrel can be better or worse than the small batch because of a pretty large amount of variability in the EHT.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Shooting Blanks posted:

A friend of mine is looking to add a couple bottles of whisk(e)y to her shelf in the near future. I've got bourbon covered, but what's a good middle of the road (read: not Islay) scotch in the $50 range? Normally I'd think Macallan or maybe a Glenmorangie but I'm not a huge scotch drinker - she likes scotch, recently got a promotion and is looking to treat herself after being primarily a JW Black drinker.

Talisker, Oban, Highland Park, Springbank, Glen Scotia are good options if they like black label

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

obi_ant posted:

Yeah and I have had some good and some bad. The rye is always really good though to me.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

spankmeister posted:

Talisker, Oban, Highland Park, Springbank, Glen Scotia are good options if they like black label

will second the first four distilleries, never had glen scotia

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Shooting Blanks posted:

I'm a few days late here, but I'd spend an extra $20 bucks and pick up a bottle of Aberlour A'bunadh before I'd grab Macallan. The Oban and Glen Scotia were solid suggestions as well.

Roll Fizzlebeef
Sep 9, 2003

Glenfarclas is also very good.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Hauki posted:

will second the first four distilleries, never had glen scotia

Give it a try! It's really good.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Local packy had some of those wild turkey bottles y'all have been raving about but I spent too much on beer last month so I'm trying to watch my wallet. Found out they had Mellow Corn and bought a bottle of that instead and it's firmly in my "way better than the price tag would indicate" category.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Mellow Corn makes a great highball.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Scythe posted:

Mellow Corn makes a great highball.

Last time I was in Kentucky I tried to get mellow corn and no one had any. It made me sad.

Roll Fizzlebeef
Sep 9, 2003

I have looked everywhere for Mello Corn also and never found it.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
I found a place that sells it... For $20. :/

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Mellow corn is the new pappy! I hope I'm kidding.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Last time I was in Kentucky I tried to get mellow corn and no one had any. It made me sad.

If you are ever in MN let me know and I can point you to a few stores that always have it!

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

zmcnulty posted:

Sat down with an Irish whiskey/spirits importer last night and had the below. To preface, I know basically nothing about Irish whiskey:

-Knappogue 12: Pretty grassy and vegetative on the nose, then spicy oak
-Knappogue 14: My favorite of the flight, a blend of ex-sherry and ex-bourbon casks, which then spends another 13 months together. The sherry profile sits behind the bourbon. Lemon on the nose but the palate turns to orange somewhere along the way
-Knappogue 16: That extra two years seems to make the sherry overpower the bourbon, and it's lost a bit of the balance.
-Knappogue 12 Barolo Wine Cask: this is the Japan-exclusive bottling that he wants me to push for him. The wine cask finish adds more fruitiness and dryness
-Ban Poitin: Basically the Irish version of moonshine, but allegedly pre-dating it (and whiskey!) by several centuries. Seems to have just as much lore surrounding it as moonshine, including claiming to be the reason whiskey was "accidentally" discovered, when someone came across poitin that had been sitting in a cask for a few years. I would say it's much easier to drink than all the moonshine/white dog I've had.

He also gave me a Túath glass. Not a massive difference from a Glencairn but one gimmick is you can lay the thing on its side without spilling the contents.

I like the Túath glass, too. Got it for free from the Teeling rep at the duty free store in Dublin Airport for buying two bottles of Teeling last year.

I also got a sampler pack of the Knappogue then, too. Haven't had a chance to try it, but I'm glad they're not too disappointing.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

mojo1701a posted:

I like the Túath glass, too. Got it for free from the Teeling rep at the duty free store in Dublin Airport for buying two bottles of Teeling last year.

I also got a sampler pack of the Knappogue then, too. Haven't had a chance to try it, but I'm glad they're not too disappointing.

Most Knappogue is Bushmills. Certainly the standard 12 y/o is.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

biglads posted:

Most Knappogue is Bushmills. Certainly the standard 12 y/o is.

Good to know. I don't really know much about it and picked it up since it was a variety pack.

That, and when our tour guide at the Irish Whiskey Museum asked us to pronounce "Knappogue", she then told us that she's heard all sorts of weird pronunciations, including the phonetic "Ka-nap-oh-goo-ee."

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
Picked up a couple of BiB bargains today: Old Overholt rye and Evan Williams bourbon. I couldn't find any more Mellow Corn, though.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I had a bit more of my open bottle of A’bunadh batch 47 last night, holy crap is this just awesome. Hands down my favorite whisky I’ve had to this point.

I’ve been making a bunch of side cash lately by selling unneeded items around my house. I think I’m going to put together a big order from Fine Drams or The whiskey Barrel, specifically targeting high proof sherried stuff.

In a separate note, I had some Dalmore Portwood Reserve the other night too and found it to be very enjoyable. Not amazing in any way, but the port influence comes through and it was very approachable. Will probably reach for it again soon when I want something that style.

60 Hertz Jig
May 21, 2006
Got an unexpected and fully sick raise today. Lasanta for me and Yellow Spot for the dude who pushed for the raise.

The Lasanta isn't as complex as I remember. Tasty and easy drinking though. I've had so much peat and Irish swill lately that this is a nice change. Will probably pick up the A'bunadh next time from all the praise it gets here.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Congrats on the raise! Drink up (not at work, though 😜).

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Can't decide what to open a new bottle of tonight: Booker's or A'bunadh. I'm leaning bourbon.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Bourbon is always the right answer. I switched to beer for awhile but it was making me feel sick, doc said I should go back to whiskey so tonight I'm drinking rye.

Also congrats to 60 Hertz Jig, tip of the glass glass to your raise.

60 Hertz Jig
May 21, 2006

DerekSmartymans posted:

Congrats on the raise! Drink up (not at work, though 😜).

Thanks! I'm in manufacturing, so def no drinking on the job. That's my supervisor's job =p

wormil posted:

Bourbon is always the right answer. I switched to beer for awhile but it was making me feel sick, doc said I should go back to whiskey so tonight I'm drinking rye.

Also congrats to 60 Hertz Jig, tip of the glass glass to your raise.

A proper doc, one that suggests whisky! Maybe our healthcare system should include a minimum of one dram a week. For sanity, health, and appreciation of life.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Yeah, he said something like, 'I'm not telling you to drink whiskey but if you're going to drink anyway, drink whiskey instead of beer.'

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Oh hey just when I needed a new GP.

I don't have much else to add. Got bottles of Sazerac and Buffalo Trace recently as well as my now usual winter handle of cheap Costco scotch. I like booze more in the winter. It's a great addition to hot drinks.

Quiet Feet fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Sep 8, 2019

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Quiet Feet posted:

Oh hey just when I needed a new GP.

I don't have much else to add. Got bottles of Sazerac and Buffalo Trace recently as well as my now usual winter handle of cheap Costco scotch. I like booze more in the winter. It's a great addition to hot drinks.

I’m the same way, up here in Minnesota it has started cooling down already, as soon as that temp dropped below 70 I immediately wanted some whisky.

In summer I like my sweeter / lighter beers, but once fall/winter roll around I’m back in the whisky train.

Trying to decide between these tonight:
Balvenie 14 rum cask
Glenfiddich 15
Willett rye
High west midwinters night dram

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

DoctaFun posted:

I’m the same way, up here in Minnesota it has started cooling down already, as soon as that temp dropped below 70 I immediately wanted some whisky.

In summer I like my sweeter / lighter beers, but once fall/winter roll around I’m back in the whisky train.

Trying to decide between these tonight:
Balvenie 14 rum cask
Glenfiddich 15
Willett rye
High west midwinters night dram

How’s the run cask? I keep picking it up and then putting it down at Costco.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

mentalcontempt posted:

How’s the run cask? I keep picking it up and then putting it down at Costco.

It's a love or hate thing. I personally love it and it's one of my favorites, but there are some folks who really dislike it for some reason or another. To me, it's not prohibitively expensive, and it has some nice complex flavors. Toffee and vanilla forward with some nice fruit notes and a clean finish on it. But more than anything else it's really well balanced, nothing really punches you in the face or dominates. All the flavor notes play well with each other.

I've never been able to pin down why some people don't like it, other than "scotch isn't s'posed to go in a rum cask!" I guess if it doesn't taste like a sherry barrel or a campfire they're just not going to be happy with it.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Grabbed a bottle of New Riff, which is supposed to be "the craft bourbon that's actually good." Single barrel, four years old, cask strength, straight Kentucky bourbon. I'm modestly excited.

Will update after cracking it this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Vox Nihili posted:

Grabbed a bottle of New Riff, which is supposed to be "the craft bourbon that's actually good." Single barrel, four years old, cask strength, straight Kentucky bourbon. I'm modestly excited.

Will update after cracking it this weekend.

I have had everything they have released. It's pretty good. I'm not down for the 40-50 dollar price tag of it though. The Wild Turkey Rare Breed is better.