Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
An M1000?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I'm bad with money so I'm looking at another pens again, specifically the ones that are cheaper in japan. Has anyone any experience with the Justus 95?

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Yes.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Cool, I “splurged” ($30, cheaper than dinner with friends at my place yesterday) on a starter kit, case, and ink during Florida’s sales tax free weekend, and I’m having a blast!

I want to get something like this as well.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I got my Diamond 580ALR yesterday and it kicks rear end! We should do the Goon Pen Pal thing again so I can use it on more than marking and comments!

zombienietzsche
Dec 9, 2003
I'm not sure what that is but PM me for my address and I'll gladly send you nonsense from Los Angeles along with hand written notes that give me an excuse to write with all this goddamn stationery and ink my wife keeps making fun of me for buying.

Edit: a 580ALR is badass, I don't know what the penpal thing is

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Professor Shark posted:

I got my Diamond 580ALR yesterday and it kicks rear end! We should do the Goon Pen Pal thing again so I can use it on more than marking and comments!

I'm not happy with my 580's stub nib--it skates over paper without leaving ink behind--but it's really nice since I switched to a fine nib.

The last time we tried to do a goon pen pal thing, almost all of us were immediately left with the realisation that we had very little to say.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
If anyone wants to PM me an address I will poo poo a postcard directly into the mailbox at you

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Thoughts on Opus? Thinking of the 88 Omar.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Lowness 72 posted:

I have a Koloro and I really like it. Huge reservoir, well made. The nib is just a plain jane steel nib, but it wrote well without any tuning.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Everybody should own at least one Japanese-style eyedropper with a shutoff valve.

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

grack posted:

Everybody should own at least one Japanese-style eyedropper with a shutoff valve.

Agreed! Though if you're not ready to go vintage, I think the only options are Opus and the Namiki Emperor. Eboya said they'd have some soon but I think they're not ready yet?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

There are a number of Danitrio eyedroppers as well. Cheaper than an Emperor, but certainly not cheap.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Lowness 72 posted:

I have a Kolero and a demonstrator. The Kolero is a nice pen, if a little short for my taste. The demonstrator though, that is one chonky pen. I've got a 1.5 Parallel nib in mine and it lays down ink like nobody's business. I like to use sparkle inks with that combo; it's a lot of fun.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
I’ve got the Fantasia in blue and I loving love it. Writes pretty decently too.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

protip: don't go back and add up all of your YTD pen and pen related purchases. It's never good.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I'm getting out of the FP game, so if someone wants to buy my VP Raden, it's in SA-Mart: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3895804 Sold elsewhere

MJP fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Aug 9, 2019

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

My m200 went through the washer and dryer. Somehow the nib and cap came off. I cannot for the life of me find the nib, though its probably destroyed anyway, but the body seems fine if a bit scuffed.

Weird.

edit: bought a replacement Fine and Broad nib from cult pens and with the 10 GBP postage it was still cheaper than buying a single fine nib in the US. lol.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 9, 2019

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Did the ink get all over everything?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Surprisingly, no. My pants pocket is a bit pink but that's it. I remember emptying its ink back into the bottle so I'm guessing I put it in my pocket to go clean it or immediately after a rinse.

Still can't find the nib. I'm very curious how hosed up it is.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Sankis posted:

My m200 went through the washer and dryer. Somehow the nib and cap came off. I cannot for the life of me find the nib, though its probably destroyed anyway, but the body seems fine if a bit scuffed.

Weird.

edit: bought a replacement Fine and Broad nib from cult pens and with the 10 GBP postage it was still cheaper than buying a single fine nib in the US. lol.

The cap comes off real easy in those, like "I walked a bit with it in my pants pocket and now my pocket's got a nice blue splotch," easy.

I'm pretty surprised the nib came off, though. It might be small enough to fit through the holes in the washer drum, although I'm not sure that's exactly an easy place to look.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Zenostein posted:

The cap comes off real easy in those, like "I walked a bit with it in my pants pocket and now my pocket's got a nice blue splotch," easy.

I'm pretty surprised the nib came off, though. It might be small enough to fit through the holes in the washer drum, although I'm not sure that's exactly an easy place to look.

Sankis posted:

Weird.

Check the pump strainer; you may get lucky, OP!

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

should I get a frickin Vanishing Point

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Doctor Dogballs posted:

should I get a frickin Vanishing Point

Yes, but try and handle one first.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The VP is probably my favorite pen so yes

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

The vp is wonderful but keep in mind that their nibs run a bit wider than other pilot pens. My medium VP feels pretty close to a broad.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Maybe, but my extra fine is definitely extra fine by Pilot standards

zombienietzsche
Dec 9, 2003
About a week ago I went in to a store to try one and I liked it, but they were selling it for MSRP, so I didn't buy it, leaving me with the crisis of buying online for $50 cheaper or supporting the place that lets me go in and try the pen.

I'm punting the dilemma by going to what appears to be the one other fountain pen shop in my major metropolitan area next weekend to see if they're selling it for cheaper.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Buy the pen online, buy a bottle of ink or two from the store.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

welp what the hell. I ordered one.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

My new-ish Delta Grafitti. Sterling silver with gold plated accents, in lovely condition. Almost (ugh) "classy".

This pen was a PITA to get. The first one I ordered never showed up and I ended up having to file an eBay case to get my money back.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

Congratulations, that looks dope as gently caress. How heavy is it?

zombienietzsche
Dec 9, 2003
Yeah that looks awesome. grack, how'd you get into deltas in particular? I've always wondered.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Doctor Dogballs posted:

Congratulations, that looks dope as gently caress. How heavy is it?

It's ~30 grams without ink. It's not a particularly large pen.

meinstein posted:

Yeah that looks awesome. grack, how'd you get into deltas in particular? I've always wondered.

I'm basically a magpie when it comes to fountain pens. The larger, brighter and more gaudy, the better and that's pretty much what Delta does (or did).

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Anyone have lefty-friendly recommendations for dip pens? I wanted to try learning calligraphy.

Sankis posted:

The vp is wonderful but keep in mind that their nibs run a bit wider than other pilot pens. My medium VP feels pretty close to a broad.

My 823 M is nowhere near a broad, but it is more medium than my metros. My Pelikan M1000 medium is almost more broad than my broad Edison.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
There are lefty oblique pens on Etsy. The nib holder is set out at an angle.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Moral_Hazard posted:

Anyone have lefty-friendly recommendations for dip pens? I wanted to try learning calligraphy.

My 823 M is nowhere near a broad, but it is more medium than my metros. My Pelikan M1000 medium is almost more broad than my broad Edison.

I meant the VP nib specifically runs wider. The other pilot pens seem more consistent between one another though I haven't tried the 823 yet.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Okay, it's ink suggestion time again-- I've now tested all of my ink samples and found some really good ones that I'm probably going to get in bottles, but I have a big hole in my rainbow. I've got some nice reds I like, and I'm totally set on forest/kelly kind of greens, and really don't need any more blues/indigos/violets (for now), but I have really no oranges, ambers, browns, yellows, yellow-greens or blue-greens. Any kneejerk suggestions for any of those? Or colors that I'm forgetting exist?

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

MockingQuantum posted:

Okay, it's ink suggestion time again-- I've now tested all of my ink samples and found some really good ones that I'm probably going to get in bottles, but I have a big hole in my rainbow. I've got some nice reds I like, and I'm totally set on forest/kelly kind of greens, and really don't need any more blues/indigos/violets (for now), but I have really no oranges, ambers, browns, yellows, yellow-greens or blue-greens. Any kneejerk suggestions for any of those? Or colors that I'm forgetting exist?

Rohrer & Klinger’s alt-goldgrun is pretty nice, although it’s more green than yellow. That means it’s even legible out of a F prera!

I like herbin’s cafe des iles for a brown, and lie de the is also pretty nice, although I haven’t quite figured out which is darker of the two…

Last I asked for sepia-like colors, herbin’s cacao du bresil was suggested. It’s lovely, but in most of the pens I tried, it was more grey than brown. But that’s something to consider. Doesn’t quite fit on a rainbow, though.

e: pen-adjacent, but I probably should have realized the kuru-toga’s spinning/self-sharpening features wouldn’t work very well with cursive. It rotates the lead a minute amount after an unknown amount of vertical pressure on the lead. Cursive doesn’t really produce they sort of force the way writing kana or kanji or mathematics does.

Well, at least it’s a stunningly sturdy-feeling pencil, considering it’s entirely plastic.

Zenostein fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Aug 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

In the orange/brown area, I really like Diamine Ancient Copper. I was hoping it would be a bit more red, but I'm quite happy with it.