Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Jonas Albrecht posted:

We could really use more. Right now the largest cluster of players is in the US and Canada.

In the meantime, if there's enough interest I could start doing Saturday events around 2pm CDT.

That'd be really nice and I'd definitely make a point of it to be around for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

100YrsofAttitude posted:

That'd be really nice and I'd definitely make a point of it to be around for that.

Alright I'll make plans for August 3rd at 2pm CDT. Announcements will be in the Splatoon 2 discord.

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

buffed octobrush in salmon run actually feels like it has some punch to it now, i love it

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Me irl in Splatoon 2

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

the kentucky quid posted:

Me irl in Splatoon 2

Splat Wish.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
I wanna play with y'all but competing against people with perfect gear and thousands of hours is not something I can handle. I'm sorry.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

BrightWing posted:

I wanna play with y'all but competing against people with perfect gear and thousands of hours is not something I can handle. I'm sorry.

You don't need to apologize, Splatoon is a weirdly infuriating game. It looks really bright and chipper and cheerful and the community is (mostly) legitimately wholesome but the game itself can be very unforgiving.

If you do decide to give it one more try, would you be interested in a few pointers? Splatoon has a very different feel than most shooters and it requires you to get into a kind of flow that's unique to it.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

I always had a hard time finding people to actually play with and didn't think of looking on SA when I signed up, but I have a hard time with team coordination and strategy especially in random matchups.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

The Golux posted:

I always had a hard time finding people to actually play with and didn't think of looking on SA when I signed up, but I have a hard time with team coordination and strategy especially in random matchups.

The solo queue is the one thing Splatoon has in common with other rank system shooters in that all you can really do is fulfill your own role as best you can and cross your fingers. The lack of voice chat with randoms exacerbates this, but anybody who's spent more than five minutes on the Internet will tell you that this trade-off is extremely worth it

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

BrightWing posted:

Well I hope you'll keep playing at least. And I'm always down for salmon run.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Well I hope you'll keep playing at least. And I'm always down for salmon run.

Yeah, Salmon Run is great, and it's actually good for learning weapons you're not used to. Fun with friends!

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Bright do some chill salmon run with us some time. Make sure it’s chill cause it’s just us just shooting the poo poo.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

EightFlyingCars posted:

If you do decide to give it one more try, would you be interested in a few pointers? Splatoon has a very different feel than most shooters and it requires you to get into a kind of flow that's unique to it.

I'm still sorry. You guys deserve better than my salty rear end.

And if you have tips I'm all ears, i still don't know poo poo about this game.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

BrightWing posted:

Team up with someone. In most cases you'll have a 2 against 1 advantage. You don't have to be good, just enough of a distraction for the bad guys for your buddy to jump on them.

Also try different kind of setups. Put some thought on them. But most importantly: Have fun!

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Id have more fun of i wasnt constantly one shot way out of range from anyone

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Turf War or one of the Ranked modes, because advice is different based on what mode you're playing. If you're talking about Turf, I would spend like all your matches just turfing and not worrying about your K/D or w/e. The #1 reason people are owning you from range is because they know the map extremely well and know where to stand and, more importantly, where you're going to stand 90% of the time. So just keep your eyes on the ground and get comfortable with the map. Its the nice part of Splatoon's rotation system, you sit down for like 15 games with the same map and you get a good feel for it pretty quick!

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
I refuse to play ranked. I don't need confirmation of how bad i am.

E: I've tried just turfing and avoiding fights but that just ends with my poo poo pushed all the way to spawn

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

BrightWing posted:

I refuse to play ranked. I don't need confirmation of how bad i am.

Don't worry, players in the starting rank are as bad as you. :woomy:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

BrightWing posted:

Id have more fun of i wasnt constantly one shot way out of range from anyone

It's been my practice to swap to an NZap when asked, so feel free.

Also here's my advice for anyone who wants to ink turf instead of battle. Grab an NZap or a splatty jr. The base model for either. Spamming Ink Armor is always appreciated, and both weapons come with a bomb (the Virgin Suction vs the Chad Splat in this case). After that it's just learning the fundamentals and how to utilize them best. Brightwing have you finished the single player campaign? If not, I recommend it. It will train you on how to move like a squid and shoot like a kid.

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Aug 14, 2019

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
I played through octo expansion but haven't bothered to finish the main campaign, no.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Never fight a fair fight is the best thing anyone can learn in Splat. If you're finding you're not super twitchy aimbot then good news, you don't have to be. Learn instead how to run up walls or take the extra few seconds to go the long way around someone and pop them from behind while they act like they're playing some dumb CoD poo poo.

Also remember that if you're sitting still in your ink you are invisible. Simply hiding in a spot in a corner and shooting someone in the back is easier than other games like this.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Bright you weren’t really bad tbh and even if you were I wouldn’t read too much into it. If I could pull my stats I’m sure you’d see me dying a shitload more than everyone else but it’s just part of how I play. I used to worry about it but I’ve played the game long enough now to know that it’s just a thing I do and it doesn’t really affect the games on the whole.

I stick to what I recommended in the discord, keep coming to turf and chill and avoid the private lobbies till you’re more comfortable in your play style. If you’re relaxed you’re gonna play better and if you get a feel for why you’re playing badly when you are you can start to look at what you’re actually doing wrong.

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Aug 14, 2019

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

LethalGeek posted:

Never fight a fair fight is the best thing anyone can learn in Splat.
tbh this is a great lesson in any non 1v1 game

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
I believe it was Sun Tzu who said "Do them dirty in front of they dad."

A lot of my success with the undercover brella comes from how much it begs allied randos to swoop in and secure the kill, creating a 2v1.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

One thing I saw you doing, Bright, is the common rookie technique of mowing the lawn through enemy ink by shooting and walking pretty much in a straight line through it. I know it's tempting to make a Hail Mary play and try to get past enemies and deep into their turf sometimes but it's insanely risky. Ask Mc about it sometime, half the time he does it he ends up eating poo poo, and he's very, very good at this game.

You can't move through enemy ink after all, so if you're blazing a single trail through it, it's very easy for you to get cut off and attacked while leaving you nowhere to go. Freedom of movement is really important in Splatoon, and if you can't move, you're probably going back to spawn.

What I like to do when a bunch of enemy ink is laid down is to try to ink a bunch in my colour from a relatively safe position before I go any further, usually from a high ledge or around a corner. Not only does this give you more room to move if you need to fight or escape, but it also gives you more special meter! The only time I don't do this is if I want to beeline for mid at the beginning of a match.

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

definitely do some salmon run, you get a different set of weapons everytime and they are all viable, especially after the only true meme weapon in that mode was buffed (octobrush). Its also very chill at low ranks so no worries at dragging anyone down

just lure bosses to the basket, know your role based on your weapon, keep an eye on your coworkers and youll be at 999/hlm in no time

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Here are three specific things you can do in a turf war match that will make a real, material difference without putting you too much into harm's way:

1) Map control. Like I said before, movement is life in Splatoon, so by helping to expand the boundaries of your team's turf in a safe and controlled way, you help tilt the odds in favour of your whole squad. Expand your territory from safe spots like ledges and corners and then move to the next safe spot on the map and repeat. You'll learn where these spots are as you play. It also leads right into:

2) Support specials. Like Spraylan said, Ink Armour is a fantastic way to contribute to your team's success, and you can do it anywhere on the map you want. The game even recognizes your contribution and scores you an assist every time a teammate wins a fight with your Ink Armour! Just keep an eye on the status of the enemy team before you use it, if they're down three or four people and you've still got a full squad, hold off on popping it until they're all back in action to give your team the advantage in the next team fight. And speaking of fighting:

3) Bombs away! I've lost count of the number of times I've run right into a Splat or Suction Bomb and gotten blown up because I was distracted and not paying attention. Bombs are very powerful tools in Splatoon, and higher-level players are chucking them all the time. If you see a teammate tangling with an enemy, yeet a bomb in there. Now the enemy has to swim away to not get exploded, and if they're swimming, they're not shooting. Bombs have a surprisingly high damage radius outside of their kill radius, too, and they can mean one less shot your teammate has to land to win a fight. This makes all the difference in the world more often than you might think.

If you're using Splat bombs--the pointy triangular ones--try bowling them along the ground instead of throwing them through the air. Their fuses light as soon as they touch ground, so this makes them explode really fast.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I like the autobomb for all-purpose harassment in a firefight. It might not hit them but it's definitely making their day harder.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
I really like building special, jumping back to spawn and then doing tentamissiles.
Over and over

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

EightFlyingCars posted:

3) Bombs away!

https://twitter.com/SpraylanS/status/1158606187710967808

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
I bit the bullet and played some ranked. Swapping to weapons with Splatbombs did wonders for me, and i climbed up to B- in Zones.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

That’s me walking right into that one :sax:

BrightWing posted:

I bit the bullet and played some ranked. Swapping to weapons with Splatbombs did wonders for me, and i climbed up to B- in Zones.

Splat Zones is def my fav of the ranked modes and also the one that has the most straightforward objective. It took me forever to understand how clam blitz worked and even now I’m pretty marginal playing to the actual objective

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

When I start getting stressed about ranked mode or w/e is when I usually go on a decent salmon run streak, and playing an occasional good match w a competent team is extremely gratifying

The grizzco special rotation weapons are an absolute blast. I wonder if they will keep doing those since they used to coincide w splatfests

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
https://twitter.com/NintendoVS/status/1161972026942222336

Splatoon 2 North American Online Open Summer 2019 (try to say all that three times faster) announced, with winners traveling to Nintendo Live event in Japan.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

BrightWing posted:

Autobombs tip: swim by/through them, they won't blow up in time to get you, unless you're in a fire fight then just duck out. They'll track your rear end for a long time, but are more annoying than dangerous.

If you want to change directions fast while swimming, release squid form, you lose all momentum and can reverse instantly, throwing a bomb will do this too.

Ninja squid slows your movement but you don't leave ripples while swimming, drat near every brusher uses it for a reason.

Thermal Ink: gives damaged enemies an outline behind cover, it's loving awesome with anything long ranged.

Look for a weapon tutorial on any weapon you're interested in, me I love the bloblober because it bounces and basically does double damage to anybody next to a wall.

There's a shooting gallery you can test weapons on, get a good feel for the range there.

Clash Blaster, if someone try to splashdown on you, just keep shooting, it's a pretty hard counter that special.

Blasters do AOE damage, good way to check behind cover for enemies.

Dualies, the roll is a powerful defensive move, but there's no i-frames during it, if you can predict where your opponent is going to go you can splat their punk rear end. (unless you miss of course)

Salmon Run: When hunting for the goldie, the higher the fountain erupts, the closer it is to it, never loving stand by eggs and spam c'mon, keep killing and gathering.

If your team has Aydens, do your best to protect them, but understand you can't save them all.

If the opposing team has Aydens, CRUSH THEM.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Salmon Run: When hunting for the goldie, the higher the fountain erupts, the closer it is to it, never loving stand by eggs and spam c'mon, keep killing and gathering.

For fountains, if you're playing with goons, someone will usually take the initiative for the hunt, just watch where you shoot so you don't pop too many faucets.

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

if youre uncertain on goldie seek, the bare minimum you have to know is to not pop the gushers by the basket unless youre dang sure where the goldie is gonna be

otherwise heres a handy-dandy interactive map which can help you, generally you want to pop the gushers further away and then triangulate based on the gusher height, except for marooners where you should pop the two on the ground to the left and right of the ship:

https://gungeespla.github.io/salmon_learn/

(its in 日本語 but you should get the gist of it if you click around on it, it goes: map - mid tide - high tide)

of course the thing i find that separates the real profreshionals from the peter prawnciples is to lure lure lure lureeee

https://twitter.com/SmilesHimself/status/1144157943132147712

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

If your team has Aydens, do your best to protect them, but understand you can't save them all.

If the opposing team has Aydens, CRUSH THEM.

...I haven't been active in the community much while playing the game, what's Aydens?

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

The Golux posted:

...I haven't been active in the community much while playing the game, what's Aydens?

It's a common name variant among young kids. (Ayden, Kayden, Grayden, etc.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
oh hey my final splatfest tee came in