Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift

OwlFancier posted:

The DVLA were not impressed with the photo I sent them for my license I tell you what.

Improper use of a helmet

HauntedRobot fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Aug 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

You're supposed to make sure the hair is swept back. Like a passport photo.
Impossible

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Oh dear lord the jokes are coming thick and fast.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Motorbikes are real fun if you drive them sensibly, and we should have them more in this country due to their lower footprint.

But also all able drivers should have to do some sort of motorbike/road cyclist experience in order to get a driving licence

I came off my bike when a bus was taking over a bus on a blind corner. This was in Vietnam though.... About 200m past a smashed up bus that 5 people had died in. Nobody is safe.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
Morning all, here's an utterly filthy groove
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj3gFN4XYHw

BalloonFish posted:

The idea of regimented factory labour with set tasks, work rate and hours and managerial oversight was wholly alien to many of these people. They saw their job at the Alfa plant in the same way they saw walking over to the next valley to spend a day clearing ditches - something they'd do if they needed the money and felt like working that day. Faced with wage labour (on generous rates), many workers would simply down tools at whatever point in the day they'd earned 'enough', and only work the first three days of the week. As was their norm, if there was work required on their farm they simply wouldn't go in to the factory - at best they'd follow their own protocol and send a family member in their place; a family member who was not an Alfa employee and had had no training. During the tomato harvest or wine making season as much as half the workforce simply wouldn't show up for days on end.
Good story! Spare a tear for the poor capitalist, having to create a wage-labour subjectivity in people who don't want it

Guavanaut posted:

Been a while, but Radical Technologies by Adam Greenfield was interesting. Very anti-tech elite and technotarian lol, but not anti-tech.
Would be interested to know what you think the problems are with this approach, the big one for me is the risk of fetishising the natural, especially if approaching from an alienation view. re. facial recognition, standpoints, there's some interesting stuff in Transforming Technology about distinguishing substantive from formal bias; the latter is where you've got a system that in isolation isn't biased, but as soon as placed in a context becomes biased due to data inputs etc. - machine learning and neural networks, also I guess it could be argued the liberal legal system seen as a technology.

Ta for the recommendation, will look it up.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ratjaculation posted:

Motorbikes are real fun if you drive them sensibly,

There's your problem.

Guy came off his bike right in front of my bus the other day, on the main street. Thankfully he wasn't hurt, but if the bus hadn't been stopping then he was dead.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

CGI Stardust posted:

Good story! Spare a tear for the poor capitalist, having to create a wage-labour subjectivity in people who don't want it

Yeah. Of course, the mistake they made was only hiring the men, who were used to being bosses supervising a labour force of a dozen or so women and children.

Current Chinese capitalists are not so foolish, which is why iPhone factories have mostly female employees.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Ratjaculation posted:

I came off my bike when a bus was taking over a bus on a blind corner. This was in Vietnam though.... About 200m past a smashed up bus that 5 people had died in. Nobody is safe.

You were lucky lol. Dozens of English tourists die in bike accidents in SE Asia every year. There's something about the culture there that encourages normally reasonably sensible people to knock back a few beers, hire a rattling deathtrap and zoom off helmetless into the insane city traffic in their protective shorts, t-shirt and flip flops.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
"Having a chilled out time in Koh Samui with road rash, a shattered pelvis and no medical insurance :cheers:"

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/1161559590670077957?s=19

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Julio Cruz posted:

or really in the summer, once everything's planted you're not doing too much more than sitting around waiting for it to grow (depending on the crop ofc)

After everything is planted, you'd be pulling up weeds by the hand to make sure something actually worth harvesting emerged. I leave it to you to decide how much fun weeding two hectares by hand is ...

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Niric posted:

I mean, OK, but this is literally something that already exists:

https://www.gov.uk/settled-status-eu-citizens-families/applying-for-settled-status

Yes but things Westminster does are bad and wrong and or dont exist you see and it's only good if Holyrood does it and furthermore

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Eschenique posted:

Didn't Thatcher specifically remove the citizenship of the people of Hong Kong (and all other territories outside the main islands) the last time things escalated out of fear of non-whites moving to the UK?

Which then incidentally sparked the Falklands war because Argentina saw the loss of citizenship as relinquishment of responsibility for the people on the island.

Not British citizenship. Before the 1981 Nationality Act they had Citizenship of The United Kingdom and Colonies which was a bit different and removed by Thatcher then.
The 1962 Commonwealth Immigrants Act has already made it so CUKCs who weren’t born in the UK or already living here had no automatic right to abode in the UK. I.e ethnic Chinese Hongkongers were kept out. 1981 Act didn’t change their situation substantially
But it was an opportunity to change things for the better, and not doing so does seem to have sent the message that the UK didn’t care about them. When CUKC status was removed, some gained British citizenship, but it was explicitly “we don’t consider these guys so important” to give most the lesser British Dependent Territories / British Overseas citizenship statuses instead.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Junior G-man posted:

I leave it to you to decide how much fun weeding two hectares by hand is ...

I've had a lot of fun weeding fields in the summer; it's enjoyable work in the sun, especially in a group.

(e: You do know people do weeding in their leisure time, of their own accord, in land they have access to, right?)

Oh dear me fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Aug 14, 2019

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
https://mobile.twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1161563464504156160

Deciding university admissions based on students' actual exam results, what a crazy idea! :monocle:

I wasn't aware "predicted grades" were a thing in the UK before reading this. Jesus Christ.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Cerv posted:

Not British citizenship. Before the 1981 Nationality Act they had Citizenship of The United Kingdom and Colonies which was a bit different and removed by Thatcher then.
The 1962 Commonwealth Immigrants Act has already made it so CUKCs who weren’t born in the UK or already living here had no automatic right to abode in the UK. I.e ethnic Chinese Hongkongers were kept out. 1981 Act didn’t change their situation substantially
But it was an opportunity to change things for the better, and not doing so does seem to have sent the message that the UK didn’t care about them. When CUKC status was removed, some gained British citizenship, but it was explicitly “we don’t consider these guys so important” to give most the lesser British Dependent Territories / British Overseas citizenship statuses instead.

that's actually genuinely pretty interesting, good post.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Pistol_Pete posted:

... English tourists ... normally reasonably sensible people

Does not compute

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Loving the "what about the poor hard done by universities having to actually work based on grades rather than guesswork" in the comments.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Bardeh posted:

:chloe:

https://twitter.com/marcus44/status/1161320184185012224

There are actually people out there who think like this? :wtc:

Little late to the party, but this guy is on dialysis. Without the NHS his lifespan will literally be the size of his wallet. Turkeys, Christmas etc.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pistol_Pete posted:

You were lucky lol. Dozens of English tourists die in bike accidents in SE Asia every year. There's something about the culture there that encourages normally reasonably sensible people to knock back a few beers, hire a rattling deathtrap and zoom off helmetless into the insane city traffic in their protective shorts, t-shirt and flip flops.
I'd go on one of these instead

Oh dear me posted:

I've had a lot of fun weeding fields in the summer; it's enjoyable work in the sun, especially in a group.

(e: You do know people do weeding in their leisure time, of their own accord, in land they have access to, right?)
Came here to say this. Also reaping with sickles is fun. :ussr:

Cerv posted:

CUKCs who weren’t born in the UK

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Kassad posted:

Deciding university admissions based on students' actual exam results, what a crazy idea! :monocle:

I wasn't aware "predicted grades" were a thing in the UK before reading this. Jesus Christ.

Yep. And then there's the fact that markers will sometimes tweak your marks for a wrong answer if they believe it can push you into *just* getting the next grade up. Hence my A in biology by the exact number of points required and 0 more.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Kassad posted:

Yeah its incredibly dumb.

Which incidentally is roughly what my school said to ucas about me.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I learned yesterday that he briefly pretended to have a black grandpa in order to deflect accusations of racism until he severely undermined it by uploading a video of his dad playing one of his games and revealed him to definitely be a white guy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TBH I'm not sure if we wouldn't be better off just abolishing university. The obsession with qualifications is loving stupid. If you need training for something then it should be done vocationally if and when you need it, and if you want to just do academia that shouldn't be something you do as a mandatory part of being able to get a job.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Kassad posted:

20 (!!) years ago, I was predicted a C for one of my A-Levels, which was actually very generous, considering how badly I'd hosed my end-of-Year-12 exams.
It was in line with what my teachers would have expected me to get, mind you.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Kassad posted:

Seems like a hell of a lot of work to dump on university admins during the one time of the year when all the academics aren't there tho. If it's even possible to get 2 million admissions done in the month or so between a level results and the start of term.

Unless they're going to give everyone a year off between A levels and University, which would be great but would also need them to actually have something to do.

In principle, it's a great idea, in practice I'm not sure how it would work, logistically.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i was predicted something like AAB and got BCC. that'll show them for not accounting for my laziness

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

TBH I'm not sure if we wouldn't be better off just abolishing university. The obsession with qualifications is loving stupid. If you need training for something then it should be done vocationally if and when you need it, and if you want to just do academia that shouldn't be something you do as a mandatory part of being able to get a job.

What am I going to do with all this student accommodation I've just built and was expecting exorbitant rent from though?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Yeah its incredibly dumb.

Which incidentally is roughly what my school said to ucas about me.

I don't know why I'm even surprised the UK would do something in a blatantly stupid way that just so happens to gently caress over the poor and ethnic minorities

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

thespaceinvader posted:

Seems like a hell of a lot of work to dump on university admins during the one time of the year when all the academics aren't there tho. If it's even possible to get 2 million admissions done in the month or so between a level results and the start of term.

Unless they're going to give everyone a year off between A levels and University, which would be great but would also need them to actually have something to do.

In principle, it's a great idea, in practice I'm not sure how it would work, logistically.

Looking into the proposals a bit more, it involves sitting A-levels earlier and first year uni students starting later

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Kassad posted:

I don't know why I'm even surprised the UK would do something in a blatantly stupid way that just so happens to gently caress over the poor and ethnic minorities

It's not designed that way, it's just that middle-class parents are more likely to harass teachers who predict Tristan will only get a B.
It's only when it goes hand-in-hand with unconditional offers that the class bias really shows through

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

:lol::lol::lol:

Are you telling me that university entrance is based on grades the system thinks you will get.

Are you loving serious lmao.

[e] I've lived here nearly five years and still run into inexplicable poo poo like this regularly.

Saros fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Aug 14, 2019

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

kingturnip posted:

20 (!!) years ago, I was predicted a C for one of my A-Levels, which was actually very generous, considering how badly I'd hosed my end-of-Year-12 exams.
It was in line with what my teachers would have expected me to get, mind you.

I see your 20 years and raise you 42!
I was predicted A for maths (no A* in those days) and got it. The other 8 girls predicted A got no higher than C. The only other person getting A had been predicted C. Some girls got F (ie lower than O-levels - which is what we did back then before GCSEs were born) so having got A (or whatever the top grade was then) for O-level maths and studying A-level maths for 2 years, they got LOWER than O? Wasn't just our school. Other schools had the same experience too. Didn't help that one of the questions on the paper was unsolvable so anyone who tried it lost a lot of time. I wrote 'this question is unsolvable' at the bottom and abandoned it. Others didn't. Exam papers were 3 hours long in those days (actually A-level maths were 3h15mins - you had to just read the paper for 15 mins and not write anything at the start), not these lightweight 1.5 hour things they do now.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Saros posted:

:lol::lol::lol:

Are you telling me that university entrance is based on grades the system thinks you will get.

Are you loving serious lmao.

[e] I've lived here nearly five years and still run into inexplicable poo poo like this regularly.

The offer is based on that. Then you have to get it. Although not always.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Z the IVth posted:

Little late to the party, but this guy is on dialysis. Without the NHS his lifespan will literally be the size of his wallet. Turkeys, Christmas etc.

Dialisys is one private healthcare firms hate offering too because it’s expensive, basically permanantly required and insurers quickly tire of receiving a 30 grand bill every week that is going to continue to arrive every week for 20 years.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

thespaceinvader posted:

Or don't run university on the same schedule as the school year, which is all based around Jesus being born, Jesus being executed, and six weeks off to weed fields.

OwlFancier posted:

There are some things that it works well for. Providing structure to the meandering process of learning at a higher level of abstraction than the school.

At the moment though, they're possibly too structured, too isolated, and too based around "being useful".

quote:

At present, the universities are supposed to provide, in a more systematic way, what the leisure class provided accidentally and as a by-product. This is a great improvement, but it has certain drawbacks. University life is so different from life in the world at large that men who live in academic milieu tend to be unaware of the preoccupations and problems of ordinary men and women; moreover their ways of expressing themselves are usually such as to rob their opinions of the influence that they ought to have upon the general public. Another disadvantage is that in universities studies are organized, and the man who thinks of some original line of research is likely to be discouraged. Academic institutions, therefore, useful as they are, are not adequate guardians of the interests of civilization in a world where everyone outside their walls is too busy for unutilitarian pursuits.

Maybe a world of part time university where you work as well and aren't expected to be 'useful' in your studies, so you can study precolonial Mesoamerican dance if that's what you like, would be a nice social balance while still producing academic output that is occasionally utilitarian.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

feedmegin posted:

Yes but things Westminster does are bad and wrong and or dont exist you see and it's only good if Holyrood does it and furthermore

It'd be less annoying and feel more like a genuine attempt at informing if the initial post wasn't literally just a recopied SNP/Scottish Government press release. If anything Coohoolin is even more propagandist than an honest-to-god government-funded communique, since he's morphed "specialist helpline service" into the grander-sounding "free expert advice"

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I see your 20 years and raise you 42!
I was predicted A for maths (no A* in those days) and got it. The other 8 girls predicted A got no higher than C. The only other person getting A had been predicted C. Some girls got F (ie lower than O-levels - which is what we did back then before GCSEs were born) so having got A (or whatever the top grade was then) for O-level maths and studying A-level maths for 2 years, they got LOWER than O? Wasn't just our school. Other schools had the same experience too. Didn't help that one of the questions on the paper was unsolvable so anyone who tried it lost a lot of time. I wrote 'this question is unsolvable' at the bottom and abandoned it. Others didn't. Exam papers were 3 hours long in those days (actually A-level maths were 3h15mins - you had to just read the paper for 15 mins and not write anything at the start), not these lightweight 1.5 hour things they do now.

I am like I dunno a quarter of your age or something I think... didn't get an A for maths... and just lol at remembering what I got in school exams let alone what any of the questions were.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

OwlFancier posted:

Loving the "what about the poor hard done by universities having to actually work based on grades rather than guesswork" in the comments.

And also the "Labour want equality of outcome, which means no one will ever work again" replies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
All this talk of transport and my car has failed its Mot several times over. Whoo hoo (my wife can drive me to work instead).

Also I just scrolled through the whole list of smileys to see if we had that Damien Sandown hand to face one for that ukip guy posted above, sadly we do not. But rest assured he really resembles a failed wrassler