Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I'm enjoying the gently caress out of Three Houses but I have some real loving problems with the storytelling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
All of the ending cgs I've seen look really off. The proportions and the facial expressions look weird to me.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Eimi posted:

I appreciate that somehow El turns into Elsa in her ending slide. I think it's a shame you only see the straight pairings hugging each other, but what can you do?

are you kidding me

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
So since this seems to run on the FE Warriors engine, when are we getting a warriors mode DLC?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Man I have cracked the game in half like an egg and I’m not trying super hard or anything

I’m doing paralogues when they pop up, putting people into their advanced classes as soon as I can, not recruiting TOO much (Catherine is a bit too good for no investment. TG Cat) But I now have like 6 units that can wander into a map alone and counter everything to death and live and Lysithea can’t but she has +2 range and does 100 damage every turn

The other guys exist to dance and heal and sprint the one man armies

Playing on normal classic. Next playthrough will definitely be on hard with no recruitment

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

PantsBandit posted:

I made Marianne a Holy Knight because she looks pretty sitting up on her horsey.

Marianne didn’t spend 40 weeks cleaning the horses so I could NOT give her a horse come on

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Man I have cracked the game in half like an egg and I’m not trying super hard or anything

I’m doing paralogues when they pop up, putting people into their advanced classes as soon as I can, not recruiting TOO much (Catherine is a bit too good for no investment. TG Cat) But I now have like 6 units that can wander into a map alone and counter everything to death and live and Lysithea can’t but she has +2 range and does 100 damage every turn

Playing on normal classic. Next playthrough will definitely be on hard with no recruitment

Hard is really, really drat easy unfortunately, and this is coming from an idiot. Lunatic can’t come out fast enough.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Thoughts on the story so far: to begin, it's predictable as gently caress. I literally *just* got to the Timeskip right now (so all these spoilers will be up to this point). And maybe it is just me playing as Blue Lion house and missing out on information.

They really telegraph Jeralt dying. Like, he says "we have to talk about this later" about 5 different times and as soon as he had the "if anything happens to me" talk, I knew he was gonna die *very* soon. Might as well have strapped a "dead man walking" neon sign to his head.

It was loving obvious that Edelgard was the Flame Emperor from the moment you meet them. They act like they're coy, when there is zero subtly in the writing.

There's a whole loving lot of not knowing what anyone wants and why. We have a Death Knight that just complains a lot. We have zero clue what his motivations are. Edelgard says she wants unification and hates the church, but we have zero insight into her reasoning and it is very clear that there is more to her logic than just "I want world domination."

Overall, this game has a real problem with making it blatantly obvious that certain characters are withholding information, but never giving good reasons for them to do so. Or then, suddenly they'll give you the hidden information with zero insight to why they kept you in the dark. Like the Seteth/Flayn paralogue - Seteth is like "I'm actually her father. People want to find her, so I pretend I'm her brother." And I'm like.... okay.... but why?

Also - the first half of the game is too loving long. It took me 40 hours to get to the timeskip. We get very little insight to the world outside the Monastery for those first 40 hours too. Then all of the sudden the time skip happens and they dive deep into the politics of all the nations. I would have liked that a little earlier. Also, cut down the length of part 1 by at least a third.
I also think the time skip is over too fast. You get a map screen and a summary of the events, then you wake up and you meet Dimitri immediately. That was easy. I would have liked some cutscenes of what your house leader has been going through while you're gone. It certainly doesn't feel like there's been a timeskip but maybe that's intentional? It just seemed too easy to reunite with the house leader.

I'm really loving this game for the most part. I think the characters themselves are loving fantastic. I just think that the story could use a little more grace.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

There's a decent difficulty spike after the timeskip but even then the game is pretty drat easy in general

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I think the difficulty is so low because of a few factors:

- The only dangerous enemies are high speed ones with good phys stats like swordmasters and falcoknights
- All casters have absolutely poo poo stats and are mostly harmless especially since nobody has spells like silence, warp, bolting except like two enemies in the game.
- Almost no enemies have unique/threatening skills or special weapons. Even on Hard/classic in fates Conquest i remember there being some absolute rear end in a top hat enemies with bad skill combos that you had to overcome.
- Reinforcements cant attack on the same turn that they spawn in.

Basically the only enemies I put on a "dangerous" list are assassins, swordmasters and wyvern/falcoknights. the rest are mostly harmless garbage especially brawlers who have such low atk they cant hurt most people.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

FrickenMoron posted:

I think the difficulty is so low because of a few factors:

- The only dangerous enemies are high speed ones with good phys stats like swordmasters and falcoknights
- All casters have absolutely poo poo stats and are mostly harmless especially since nobody has spells like silence, warp, bolting except like two enemies in the game.
- Almost no enemies have unique/threatening skills or special weapons. Even on Hard/classic in fates Conquest i remember there being some absolute rear end in a top hat enemies with bad skill combos that you had to overcome.
- Reinforcements cant attack on the same turn that they spawn in.

Basically the only enemies I put on a "dangerous" list are assassins, swordmasters and wyvern/falcoknights. the rest are mostly harmless garbage especially brawlers who have such low atk they cant hurt most people.

Don’t forget you get like a dozen mulligans per map via divine pulse

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I'll take divine pulse over having to restart an entire chapter, but there definitely are too many uses. I'd limit it to three personally. Or have them not recharge every battle maybe?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Just have like 4.

You really don't need 12. I can't remember how many Echoes had but it felt like a whole lot less.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Your Computer posted:

are you kidding me

yeah lol I guess they were too cheap to get two illustrations done with both male and female Byleth so they just have the one, and Byleth isn't in it (I have only seen Dorothea's but I assume it's the same for the others)

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Just have like 4.

You really don't need 12. I can't remember how many Echoes had but it felt like a whole lot less.

I think echoes had a max of ten, but it was a little slower in progress to get as many as in 3H. Echoes also didn't have the amazing quality of life feature of throwing you into pulse mode when you get a defeat condition unit killed.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Just have like 4.

You start off with really little but work your way up to 9 charges I think?

Gluten Freeman posted:

yeah lol I guess they were too cheap to get two illustrations done with both male and female Byleth so they just have the one, and Byleth isn't in it (I have only seen Dorothea's but I assume it's the same for the others)

Hilda gets a tiddy pose ending too but shes M Byleth only.

FrickenMoron fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Aug 14, 2019

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
oh god dammit.
I'm at the chapter in Golden Deer where you attack the big fort, and I saw that Lindhardt and Caspar were there. Was very sad about having to kill them, when I realized the only objective was to kill the commander.

So I make a beeline for Mr. Death Knight himself, a single turn away from killing him, only for Nader to fly over and one-shot Lindhardt.
I was trying to keep my old students alive, you jackass! :argh:

It's most likely pointless since you can't recruit them afterwards anyways, but it's the principle of the matter! What's Caspar gonna do without his husband????

e: it took two divine pulse charges, but I managed to change up his AI pathing enough to save him.

and then a literal nuke dropped out of the sky, not even a magical one, what the gently caress, game

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Aug 14, 2019

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Blaziken386 posted:

oh god dammit.

See also: Trying to keep enemy war-children alive, but they beeline straight for your strongest unit, inflict 0 damage, then get chunked by the counterattack.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

See also: Trying to keep enemy war-children alive, but they beeline straight for your strongest unit, inflict 0 damage, then get chunked by the counterattack.

Blaziken386 posted:

oh god dammit.
I'm at the chapter in Golden Deer where you attack the big fort, and I saw that Lindhardt and Caspar were there. Was very sad about having to kill them, when I realized the only objective was to kill the commander.

So I make a beeline for Mr. Death Knight himself, a single turn away from killing him, only for Nader to fly over and one-shot Lindhardt.
I was trying to keep my old students alive, you jackass! :argh:

It's most likely pointless since you can't recruit them afterwards anyways, but it's the principle of the matter! What's Caspar gonna do without his husband????

You chose this path, now walk it, corpses and all.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I was really disappointed you dont get anything for keeping Dedue alive in Chapter 20 or so of Golden Deer. Not even any dialogue.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Suffer not the unrecruited to live, if they didn't join you then death is the punishment.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Onmi posted:

You chose this path, now walk it, corpses and all.

Judge Tesla posted:

Suffer not the unrecruited to live, if they didn't join you then death is the punishment.
look, I have to at least try to save the lives of my babies, even if I resigned myself to the fact that I have to kill some of them. (hi, ferdinand)

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I dont know about everything but Raphael sure don't give a poo poo that I murdered his entire housemates except Claude

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Blaziken386 posted:

e: it took two divine pulse charges, but I managed to change up his AI pathing enough to save him.

and then a literal nuke dropped out of the sky, not even a magical one, what the gently caress, game
I'm still confused by this. Like, really. What the gently caress. :psyduck:
This does get explained, right?

Like, I knew that there were fantasy nukes in this game, from Lord Sinister attacking the other fort in BE path, but I didn't expect it to be an actual modern day nuke.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Raphael would do literally anything short of harming his little sister if you promised him a buffet table afterwards.

Blaziken386 posted:

Explained is a very strong word...

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

The music for when you battle students (Paths That Will Never Cross) is 🔥 as hell

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Blaziken386 posted:

I'm still confused by this. Like, really. What the gently caress. :psyduck:

Like, I knew that there were fantasy nukes in this game, from Lord Sinister attacking the other fort in BE path, but I didn't expect it to be an actual modern day nuke.

Golden Deer path right? Keep playing.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

FrickenMoron posted:

I was really disappointed you dont get anything for keeping Dedue alive in Chapter 20 or so of Golden Deer. Not even any dialogue.

The game expects and intends for you to murder your friends. If the game were to react to you sparing your pals through ignoring them I think it would go against the tone in some ways

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The game expects and intends for you to murder your friends. If the game were to react to you sparing your pals through ignoring them I think it would go against the tone in some ways

The person specified is an ally in that map but surrounded by tons of enemies and expected to die.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

SyntheticPolygon posted:

In that particular mission he's your ally, though suitably suicidal as allies always are.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

SyntheticPolygon posted:

You can spare Claude in the BE route

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm dumb ignore me.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Tired Moritz posted:

You can spare Claude in the BE route

Claude is the only Lord who can live on every route.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Onmi posted:

Claude is the only Lord who can live on every route.
he's too likeable, no one wants to kill him

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Has anyone done a run where you kill off everyone except the essential characters as soon as you can? I could imagine a lot of stuff being very awkward with nobody being around

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I did the Mercedes/Caspar Paralogue.

So Jeritza is YOUNGER than her? What? That doesn't make sense. God, none of the Death Knight makes sense. And it told me Caspar would try and attack the death knight but I guess that's assuming that he's not one of your units because I just ran him away.
The whole death knight thing even after that just feels absolutely nonsensical and there must have been something else to it somewhere somehow that was cut out.

What's impressed me the whole game through is tiny dialogue changes when things happen in certain ways. Attacking one character with different characters and getting different lines and etc. So I absolutely understand why they didn't have time to make the Death Knight make sense but I'm still baffled by him.

Also until last night - so like after 50 hours of playing - I didn't know that some weapons let you upgrade them to anything other than just [that weapon]+. So now I have a Wo Dau and a bolt axe and a bunch of other things. I still haven't got enough mithril to make any relics though. It's so hard to break Monster armour without also killing the things, even with gambits.
I also missed the Rapier, how do you get that? I got it in my first game and I see someone mention Manuela/Hannaman's paralogue. Do you have to kill the boss with a specific unit?

I was a bit disappointed that the end sequence of part 1 and the first fight on BL and GD are identical - I get it, it's just a shame. Man that Edelgard route must have taken so much time and effort.

Seems like if you do a meal you don't get relations up if one person is neutral to that meal and one doesn't like it. The arrows (the red ones on the right) still sort of confuse me. Big blue up and big red down make sense but not the small up arrows

Taear fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Aug 14, 2019

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

FrickenMoron posted:

counter intuitively to save people you usually have to kill them with your Byleth or maybe lord.

Neo_Crimson posted:

Goddammit I accidentally went to the Church route by accident, and saved over it. :doh:

I really really don't understand the 5 save limits. That's the most obvious flaw of the game by far :(

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

The Death Knight would have been better if it was never explained who he was at all, should have kept him as some mysterious guy who shows up and does whatever he wants.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

FrickenMoron posted:

he must show up fairly late because i did a two turn warpskip and never saw him spawn

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
Not sure if him showing up is turn based or triggers if you move somewhere but I had no trouble keeping him alive, he barely takes any damage from things that aren't mages but I had plenty of people to deal with those and to his credit, he went after the nameless enemies and not the boss first.

Really was a missed opportunity for a unique scene and maybe a recruitment if he survived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

he must show up fairly late because i did a two turn warpskip and never saw him spawn

He shows up at about turn 4 I think, he runs into the throne room where the giant monster and crowd of enemies are, I think you know what happens. :v: