Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So wait, if I make a crappy prosthetic stomach and have that installed the Bionic Stomach will be removed without killing them?

Yes, but I'm also pretty sure that removing a stomach won't instantly kill someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Similarly, you can extract a real heart without killing the patient (or getting the organ-harvest debuff) by replacing it with a prosthetic heart.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

EDIT: Ignore me I'm wrong.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Keeshhound posted:

Yes, but I'm also pretty sure that removing a stomach won't instantly kill someone.

What if they've been horrifically mauled by a mortar explosion? :v: Cause they died when I removed it, which made me quit for the night without saving (I had saved a bit before the surgery) so I could decide if I really wanted to do that.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Vanilla Rimworld instakills for a bunch of missing internal organs, including the heart and stomach. Unsurprisingly there's mods to change that, Death Rattle being the most notable and various life support mods to synergize (former buys you time to drag him in from getting shot, latter gives you time to perform the surgery).

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Keeshhound posted:

It will in vanilla. Too many colonists slain by a random lancer shot to the stomach or liver. That's why Death Rattle exists.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Cup Runneth Over posted:

It will in vanilla. Too many colonists slain by a random lancer shot to the stomach or liver. That's why Death Rattle exists.

Weird; I found a handful of reddit threads talking about colonists missing stomachs, they must have been for earlier versions.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
From what I understand pawns only die if their consciousness hits 0% OR they have 0% in a major bodily function such as breathing (Or they bleed to death or an infection gets them or they're missing their entire torso/head).

So a colonist can survive having their stomach removed, but if it happens in battle and the accumulated injuries cause their consciousness to hit 0 then they check out.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

If I want Dinosaurs should I use Dinossauria or Jurassic RimWorld?

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
What kind of wealth are you guys working with? I just hit 600k and the last poison ship was pretty crazy.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

ZearothK posted:

If I want Dinosaurs should I use Dinosauria or Jurassic RimWorld?

Dinosauria - FAR more lightweight, just puts dinos in the wild and that's it. Also while it's subjective, I think Dinosauria dinos look better and fit far better with Rimworld general art-style. Good compatibility with mods, has patches for things like Genetic Rim or animal armours, so you can have armored dinos or horrible mutant dino monsters.
Mildly unbalanced (Dinos have shitton of meat and powerful leather and are extremely powerful when tamed, but they are hard to kill, deadly and incredibly hard to tame. Still, it's not hard to, for example, kite a Brontosaurus to dead with a bunch of pawn with rifles and have enough meat for whole winter.)
Jurassic RimWorld - puts dinos and dozens of others prehistoric animals in the wild and also includes a whole new system where you can grow them in lab, mutate them, etc.. with its own unique resources and workstations, while ALSO providing bunch of extra turrets, walls and other objects, so it has a lot of other stuff besides Dinos. Dinos look good, but I like Dinosauria style more. Due to all that extra stuff compared to Dinosauria, it's far easier for it to cause errors in big modlists and also feels a bit bloated in general. No notable patches with other stuff as far as I know.
Wildly unbalanced (same issues as Dinosauria, but also some of the new additions, like turrets, are overpowered, and due to the whole "grow in the lab" feature, it's far easier to create shitload of tamed Dinos)

I would say go with Dinosauria if you want to just slot dinos somewhere in your modlist and go with Jurassic RimWorld, if you specifically want to turn your colony into Jurassic park and are building your modlist around it.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Dinosauria interfaces with A Dog Said which makes it infinitely better. :colbert: Riding bionic dinosaurs into battle is just distilled rimworld.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Keeshhound posted:

Weird; I found a handful of reddit threads talking about colonists missing stomachs, they must have been for earlier versions.

That's correct, it didn't used to be the case.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I keep switching between liking dinosauria and not because I do feel like the critters are op to have but they're also difficult to obtain so I dunno.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Suddenly my Aliens based Rimworld campaign will be taking a back seat to surviving Jurassic Park.

Or maybe I'll make an unholy alliance of the two

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The solution is always just add both mods together.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I'm pretty sure Dinosauria was made by a real dinosaur buff, it contains all sorts of weird stuff that you've probably never heard of unless you're big into paleontology, and it doesn't care about balance because yeah this IS how big a megatherium was so yeah it WOULD have this many hitpoints and give 10,000 meat when butchered.

Jurassic Rimworld is more based on Hollywood Dinosaurs, and it was made by someone who wanted to remake Jurassic Park in rimworld, and so includes all the other stuff like fences and turrets and laboratory mutations etc. Both are cool mods.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Rynoto posted:

Dinosauria interfaces with A Dog Said which makes it infinitely better. :colbert: Riding bionic dinosaurs into battle is just distilled rimworld.

Also genetic rim! As does Megafauna.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

The solution is always just add both mods together.

Really, if your game isn't a clown car of various intellectual properties, are you even playing Rimworld?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Warmachine posted:

Really, if your game isn't a clown car of various intellectual properties, are you even playing Rimworld?

:emptyquote:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Lt. Lizard posted:

Dinosauria - FAR more lightweight, just puts dinos in the wild and that's it. Also while it's subjective, I think Dinosauria dinos look better and fit far better with Rimworld general art-style. Good compatibility with mods, has patches for things like Genetic Rim or animal armours, so you can have armored dinos or horrible mutant dino monsters.
Mildly unbalanced (Dinos have shitton of meat and powerful leather and are extremely powerful when tamed, but they are hard to kill, deadly and incredibly hard to tame. Still, it's not hard to, for example, kite a Brontosaurus to dead with a bunch of pawn with rifles and have enough meat for whole winter.)
Jurassic RimWorld - puts dinos and dozens of others prehistoric animals in the wild and also includes a whole new system where you can grow them in lab, mutate them, etc.. with its own unique resources and workstations, while ALSO providing bunch of extra turrets, walls and other objects, so it has a lot of other stuff besides Dinos. Dinos look good, but I like Dinosauria style more. Due to all that extra stuff compared to Dinosauria, it's far easier for it to cause errors in big modlists and also feels a bit bloated in general. No notable patches with other stuff as far as I know.
Wildly unbalanced (same issues as Dinosauria, but also some of the new additions, like turrets, are overpowered, and due to the whole "grow in the lab" feature, it's far easier to create shitload of tamed Dinos)

I would say go with Dinosauria if you want to just slot dinos somewhere in your modlist and go with Jurassic RimWorld, if you specifically want to turn your colony into Jurassic park and are building your modlist around it.

Right on, that's exactly the answer I was looking for. Dinosauria it is!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I've never played the JP one but I can confirm that Dinosauria rules incredibly. Just be careful and put any diplodocus that self tames in it's own zone, if it runs out of grass it will absolutely annihilate your corn stores

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Earlier my doctor was tending away like mad using up medicine but people kept bleeding out on me. I looked and I had 4 medical type mods - I think they're interfering with each other. Some other mods have also stopped working so I'll have to start from a much shorter mod list and add things till I notice problems again.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Centipede heavy raids gently caress up my saves badly. I didn't even have a guy wounded but even so, the amount of stuff they need to take them down. I'm talking dozens of mortar shells, all the traps and IEDs they set off, the turrets they destroy, the walls and power cables caught in the crossfire, the fact that my long range fighters spend a whole day on them and so on. If it's just a couple it's not so bad but I had 5 coming in from different directions which complicates things. I'm now calling traders to help with my massive steel shortage trying to fix my base up, hopefully in a slightly more resilient setup this time.

At least 5 corpses means a huge reward of 250 steel, 50 plasteel and 10 components! Totally worrg it!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Installed Death Rattle. Got a siege and opened up with my mortars. TL:DR Siege defeated and captured two alive, one a good recruitment prospect and relatively intact, if needing a lengthy recovery time. The other one had his liver destroyed by mortar shrapnel and was rapidly dying from liver failure. Well, he wasn't a good recruit and he'd die before I could manufacture an artificial replacement so... I told my Doctor to rip his lungs out before he died (at which point all organs are deemed useless). Might as well not let some of those organs go to waste. I got a guy with a breathing condition they can help...

It was oddly exciting watching my doctor race to rip his lungs out before he died of liver failure... This game certainly makes you into a monster, doesn't it?

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Walton Simons posted:

Centipede heavy raids gently caress up my saves badly. I didn't even have a guy wounded but even so, the amount of stuff they need to take them down. I'm talking dozens of mortar shells, all the traps and IEDs they set off, the turrets they destroy, the walls and power cables caught in the crossfire, the fact that my long range fighters spend a whole day on them and so on. If it's just a couple it's not so bad but I had 5 coming in from different directions which complicates things. I'm now calling traders to help with my massive steel shortage trying to fix my base up, hopefully in a slightly more resilient setup this time.

At least 5 corpses means a huge reward of 250 steel, 50 plasteel and 10 components! Totally worrg it!

Get some melee pawns, preferably riding some sort of monster via Giddy Up and take the fight to them. They don't hit very hard in melee and go down quickly if 3+ pawns are beating on them.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Note that you have to be sure to have at least one melee guy on each centipede or the rest will happily open fire into the fray. Even with the friendly fire this tends to go much worse for the colonists.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Cool, I need to acquire some melee guys, I'm just loathe to expose my guys to any risk with my ethical gimmick. If they're setting my base back by weeks I should just go for it, though.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Well, he wasn't a good recruit and he'd die before I could manufacture an artificial replacement so... I told my Doctor to rip his lungs out before he died (at which point all organs are deemed useless). Might as well not let some of those organs go to waste. I got a guy with a breathing condition they can help...

It was oddly exciting watching my doctor race to rip his lungs out before he died of liver failure... This game certainly makes you into a monster, doesn't it?

If you want a (definitely overpowered) mod to fix the weird issue with organs becoming instantly unusable on death then I'd suggest Harvest Organs Post Mortem. Adds the ability to use autopsy in an effort to try and extract organs post-death for up to 12 hours.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Walton Simons posted:

Cool, I need to acquire some melee guys, I'm just loathe to expose my guys to any risk with my ethical gimmick. If they're setting my base back by weeks I should just go for it, though.

Shield belts help a lot, as does the aforementioned war mounts. Its a lot easier for a melee guy to get into a fight when he's proof against a few shots and is moving a lot faster due to riding on a T-rex.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Thank you too the person who posted how to fix my poo poo. I'm now running the war crimes cabal of my dreams.

I'm in a desert and it's very cold in winter, my prisoners were getting hypothermia, but thankfully someone posted that quarries mod so now there is something for them to do while locked inside in the dark during the cold season.

What? Give them clothes? Haha amazing what a good joke

Edit: also I removed the mod that took away people's upset over selling prisoners and it looks like I was right and that's why people didn't give a poo poo about family dying.

Now I've got a colony that has I think 8 members of the same family and I look forward to the cascade failure when one gets domed.

Paramemetic fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Aug 15, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Try fighting centipedes in CE where they're more or less completely invulnerable to anything short of an anti tank rifle with HE rounds :v:

Also if you're gonna club them to death consider mixing in an EMP grenadier, they'll stun the centipede for a little bit getting you some free hits, though beware that they will adapt after the first stun and it won't stunlock them.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Aug 15, 2019

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Carcer posted:

Shield belts help a lot, as does the aforementioned war mounts. Its a lot easier for a melee guy to get into a fight when he's proof against a few shots and is moving a lot faster due to riding on a T-rex.

I have a feeling the T-Rex is doing most of the work in this scenario.

The other thing for Centipedes: If you're insistent on trading shots with them, make sure you space out your pawns. If you're clumped together, everyone is going to get set on fire or winged by charge shots.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Warmachine posted:

I have a feeling the T-Rex is doing most of the work in this scenario.

The other thing for Centipedes: If you're insistent on trading shots with them, make sure you space out your pawns. If you're clumped together, everyone is going to get set on fire or winged by charge shots.

The T-Rex does a lot but it does gently caress all if the pawn can't close the distance because he got sniped off his mount by a lucky shot.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

I’m on the fence about CE. How does everyone else feel about it?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Ruggan posted:

Compatibility nightmare

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Ruggan posted:

Adds a bunch of busywork and the end product isn't really much different from vanilla.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Ruggan posted:

Incredible patchwork Russian mess that makes the game essentially unmoddable for anything else, all so you can have ammo for your guns, a feature left out because it sucks.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

If you're after increased gun lethality there is probably a simpler mod out there that does that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Incredible patchwork Russian mess that makes the game essentially unmoddable for anything else, all so you can have ammo for your guns, a feature left out because it sucks.

Apparently it also makes some significant changes to cover mechanics which is a bigger part of why it's a compatibility nightmare. The ammo thing can be toggled in the settings from what I can remember.

Every time I think about trying CE to see what the fuss is about, the thought of crawling through my current mod list to see what is incompatible and what needs compatibility patches is enough to kill the idea. :shrug: