Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Blindeye posted:

My Blys is cursed as gently caress and I have no clue why. I crush it in the Haida and Leningrad. For comparison:

It got power creeped super hard. It used to have a good gun advantage and now there is a ton of gun boat DDs at tier 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

CitizenKain posted:

It got power creeped super hard. It used to have a good gun advantage and now there is a ton of gun boat DDs at tier 7.

But that's the thing; it's gunpower is still good! It is easily as good firepower-wise as a Leningrad, a little bit slower, and 70s reload on torps. It has the same tools (albeit a knot or two slower) and yet the difference in wins (and nothing else stats wise) is night and day. Besides, a 30% winrate after 40 games normally takes hard loving work to manage. I have a 63% winrate in my leningrad and Haida and only about a 10% difference in damage and kills per game between them all. it's just...odd. Most games I find myself racking up damage but my other dds have all suicided and my BBs rush in single file into the strongest flank.

But only in my Blys; it's just weirdly cursed.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Probably because CV happened. I used to rock in Leningrad, then I stopped using it since CV rework. Got pooped on so hard that I'd rather just play Sims and hope for T6 CV :v:

Also I hit Rank 10 so no more Ranked for me!

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
I doubt it because I've only played 10 games since the cv rework in her and I have been on a tear in my leningrad, cv or no.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

It's probably because Leningrad is the #1 most fun ship in the game and therefore makes every game in it amazing.

Burns
May 10, 2008

I dont own blys but recall it having awful concealment

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Ranked is really annoying right now because until rank 5, you can basically win by playing any BB you're comfortable and able in. Just take an aggressive posture, pressure points, and you'll win more games than you'll lose straight up to rank 5.

Rank 5 is a Kita-filled hell and there aren't a lot of great options for dealing with them due to their high HP and high damage. And it takes forever to get a match. And there's a good chance you'll be saddled with someone playing a Kita/Bart/Morg that doesn't understand how to play to their strengths, so they suck and die.

I actually spent the steel to buy a Black just because gently caress Kitas and it is extremely cathartic.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Finally saved up enough coal to get the Georgia.

Trip report: It's good.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
So, I'm thinking of trying out radar Minotaur because a friend of mine thinks radar's the better choice for the Minotaur. Up until now I have only played a smoke Minotaur and given my experiences in that I fully expect half the planet to drop everything to shoot at me as soon as I'm spotted. How do you play well as a radar Minotaur and avoid getting owned in perpetuity? For what it's worth this would be randoms rather than clan battles because I have also never played a game of clan battles in my life (and I'm not in a clan anyway so v:v:v).

Soup Inspector fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Aug 13, 2019

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.
I am loving the Benham in ranked even verses any other DDs. Four guns is plenty after you land a torp hit. Went 14 to 9 only losing two stars and saving several.

One game I managed 198k damage (which is something against six boats)

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Soup Inspector posted:

So, I'm thinking of trying out radar Minotaur because a friend of mine thinks radar's the better choice for the Minotaur. Up until now I have only played a smoke Minotaur and given my experiences in that I fully expect half the planet to drop everything to shoot at me as soon as I'm spotted. How do you play well as a radar Minotaur and avoid getting owned in perpetuity? For what it's worth this would be randoms rather than clan battles because I have also never played a game of clan battles in my life (and I'm not in a clan anyway so v:v:v).

If you aren't divisioned up with someone who has smoke, you'll have a very bad time. Get a friend in a US dd to smoke for you.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
People can do the radar mino thing, but it requires a solid command of the map, your situational awareness, and luck. Ideally you end up with a good map for it too.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

It's spelled 'memeotaur'

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

OniTheWicked from ZR plays radar Minotaur on stream from time to time. He feels that smoke is superior but for him it's boring. Radar Mino is all about positioning and finding spots where you can shoot unspotted. Later on you can actually open water gunboat at longer ranges or against distracted targets - Mino is very agile and adept at dodging. It's more of a challenge, a divisional complement, or something for competitive though, you will almost certainly be more productive with smoke, and all of the footage I've seen from the higher rated Minotaur players use it or have commentary stating smoke is better but radar is a fun challenge.

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

What loving retard hole do the worthless sacks of poo poo that play ranked crawl out of?

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

DonkeyHotay posted:

What loving retard hole do the worthless sacks of poo poo that play ranked crawl out of?

They're the same people you play random battles with, except that their individual stupidity is far more apparent (and impactful) due to the smaller teams.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

To limit frustration in Ranked - your best bet is to advance as quickly as possible. If you rank out in a previous season, you'll begin the next in the first league, and the people you're with will be of higher caliber. Same goes for getting into premiere league - the earlier you are there the higher the quality of play will be in general. If you are starting now, in the second league, you are going to see mainly people who just casually play a few ranked games a season.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

From the announcements in FB:

quote:

ST, submarines.

Back in 2018 many of you have participated in the operation called 'Terror of the Deep'. This event allowed everyone to try a new class in our game — submarines. By the end of the event, it became clear that our players are highly interested in submarines and we should be engaged in full development.

And now, we are happy to announce that the first stages of closed testing will begin shortly, where the new gameplay of submarines will be tested. The American and German submarines will be the pioneers of the new class.

After the SuperTest submarines will be available for players to try on a special server, before being added to the main game client. Once introduced, the new class will initially be available in a special separate battle type only and this final configuration stage will last for several months. This will allow us to make additional changes to the new class under the conditions of the live server.

We will be sharing more details with you shortly. Follow our official game channels for more news!

https://www.facebook.com/1909055039420834/posts/2427594100900256?s=1451211631&sfns=mo

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yeah I'm sure submarines will be wonderfully balanced and not at all a problem.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Finally my destroyers can do what they were built for!

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Der Shovel posted:

Yeah I'm sure submarines will be wonderfully balanced and not at all a problem.

:yeshaha:

I hope they add the carrier sub as a joke.

Loky11
Dec 12, 2006

Pull on the new flesh like borrowed gloves and burn your fingers once again

i mean CV's are in a very balanced and amazing place right? and no other ships need to have a balancing pass since there's been power creep right?

cool cool just checking. greenlight subs.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
As someone who started playing this year I wish there was some way to try the Terror Of The Deep stuff now...

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Loky11 posted:

i mean CV's are in a very balanced and amazing place right? and no other ships need to have a balancing pass since there's been power creep right?

cool cool just checking. greenlight subs.

I mean, subs could balance the gently caress out of CV’s.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

A few years ago one of the lead producers for Wargaming was in my hometown scouting on some kind of scouting for talent / making partnership deals with schools mission, and stopped by at our local IGDA event to give a keynote and answer player questions.

One of the questions was, will we see submarines in WoWS. The answer was a very dry laugh and the comment that they've thought a lot about it of course, they are big fans of Das Boot and games like Aces of the Deep, but it would be impossible to balance. Either submarines will be not fun to play, or completely overpowered.

Like I'm not even going to pretend they've come up with a good way of balancing them since. They'll just sell early access to the special sub test server, then early access to the subs, and then premium subs, in random loot crates and rake in millions regardless of what it does to the game's balance.

E:

there's also this (the guy in Finland wasn't Chieftain)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddN37fZf0h4

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Aug 14, 2019

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Oh and the great news keep coming. 0.8.7 will introduce the second phase of the French Destroyer event and it's possibly their most blatant cash grab to date.

You'll be grinding for a new very well balanced I'm sure French commander with the following skills:

quote:

Sparks of Resistance: upon earning a "Captured" and "Assisted in Capture" ribbon, you get +1% to the probability of setting an enemy ship on fire with main battery shells.

Fully Armed: a talent that’s activated when the "Devastating Strike" achievement is awarded, and reduces the reload time of the ship’s armament by 5%.

Speed and Composure: every 2,000,000 HP of potential damage increases your ship's maximum speed by 8%.

All of these talents can be activated multiple times per battle.

If you complete the entire turbo grindfest of 44 missions, you will still not be able to afford the commander, because he will cost 2100 of the new temporary currency, and you only get a maximum of 1610 from the event. Instead you will have to either place high in the hall of fame and get the rest of the currency that way... or of course buy premium currency lootboxes which will contain a pittance of temporary currency.

If you complete all the missions, you'll only need 5 premium lootboxes to be able to afford the commander. Otherwise it'll be 18 lootboxes please.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Made of piss.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
I don't really trust wargaming to make submarines fun to play against, but if every submarine spawns within torpedo range of the enemy CV pointing at the CV with torpedoes loaded it's hard to see how that wouldn't be an improvement.

toadee posted:

To limit frustration in Ranked - your best bet is to advance as quickly as possible. If you rank out in a previous season, you'll begin the next in the first league, and the people you're with will be of higher caliber. Same goes for getting into premiere league - the earlier you are there the higher the quality of play will be in general. If you are starting now, in the second league, you are going to see mainly people who just casually play a few ranked games a season.

The downside is that when everyone in ranked is pretty good, if you get the one player who played 80 games on day one to reach rank 5 you pretty much lose.
I think ranked in brackets where everyone is awful is pretty ok. You sometimes lose but everyone is awful so you don't really lose stars ever.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I got flambass with some "proxy" torps on his NA account in ranked :smugdog:

https://www.twitch.tv/flambass/clip/SuperTransparentPorpoiseBigBrother?filter=clips&range=24hr&sort=time

Jutland is really really good for ranked, as usual.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
This game needs the "kill - most damage dealt" mechanic from MechWarrior.
I SO love it when i shoot something down from 100 to 10 just to see a single volley soar past and take the kill.
Especially when its juuuuust a tad later than it needs to be, to impact exactly after mine.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Yolomon Wayne posted:

This game needs the "kill - most damage dealt" mechanic from MechWarrior.
I SO love it when i shoot something down from 100 to 10 just to see a single volley soar past and take the kill.
Especially when its juuuuust a tad later than it needs to be, to impact exactly after mine.

You get more points for doing the damage than for the kill, possibly to a fault as you see people just farming damage when they could have helped focus other ships down.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
That, and it's based on % hp of the ship you're hitting. Chunking a DD for half it's health gives more than doing 20k to a battleship.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Maksimus54 posted:

You get more points for doing the damage than for the kill, possibly to a fault as you see people just farming damage when they could have helped focus other ships down.

That is true, but many directives and missions have kills as the requirement, which is where it becomes a problem.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Der Shovel posted:

That is true, but many directives and missions have kills as the requirement, which is where it becomes a problem.

LOL at you if you don't do stupid kill or damage mission in Co-op.

I used to be all "gently caress, people who play co-op are dumb" until I realised just how fast you can do objectives in them. Anyone who grinds multiple tier 10s in only co-op however is damaged.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Burt posted:

LOL at you if you don't do stupid kill or damage mission in Co-op.

Sure I do, but it's still a problem, especially since co-op is a loving shitshow as well where basically only fast destroyers are viable, because they make a beeline for enemy ships and launch a spread of torps from 500 meters.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
So i cant set my gunsights to RMB?
Whatever i do it states that "hotkey is reserved" even when i remove all instances of RMB from functions...

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Yolomon Wayne posted:

So i cant set my gunsights to RMB?
Whatever i do it states that "hotkey is reserved" even when i remove all instances of RMB from functions...

I would have zoom on shift, tbh. Rightclick is free look, which lets you turn the camera around without having your guns follow the camera. Letting go moves the camera back to where you pushed rightclick (kinda sorta sometimes).

Mouse 1 and 2 may be unable to be rebound, idk.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAugtSviS-A
Sims in T9 match against three T9 DDs. Somehow carried enough on my side of the map to secure a win :stare:

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Der Shovel posted:

Sure I do, but it's still a problem, especially since co-op is a loving shitshow as well where basically only fast destroyers are viable, because they make a beeline for enemy ships and launch a spread of torps from 500 meters.

The more important reason why fast destroyers are the only viable co-op ships is that the speed allows you to ram a bot after dumping all your torpedoes, minimizing the amount of time you spend playing co-op.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Hazdoc posted:

I would have zoom on shift, tbh. Rightclick is free look, which lets you turn the camera around without having your guns follow the camera. Letting go moves the camera back to where you pushed rightclick (kinda sorta sometimes).

Mouse 1 and 2 may be unable to be rebound, idk.

I know, but my left shift has a depression that, when i hit it in just the right angle gets more forward push than downward, resulting in not actually working.
Also decades of shooters kinda muscle-memoried zoom to my right middle finger.