Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Zaphod42 posted:

Or maybe just have a Trump analogue and imply he was set up by Vought? :cheeky: We'll see.

Vic the Veep is already a pretty good analogue for Trump. Cataclysmically stupid and owned by oligarchs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Who is A-train competing against? We know supes are super from the get go, and we know from the commercial that there are only 200 superheroes in the Vought "family". I guess the idea is just "it's all stunt races", like the one with the other speedster? How many speedsters can there be in a pool of 200 superheroes with a ton of different powers?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

That's just it, there's 200 supers at Vought, there's probably a lot more that aren't. Vought picks from the cream of the crop, and the best of the best of them get into the Seven. There's no way there's a cottage industry of child hero pageants on the level of IRL beauty pageants if there's only like 200 supers total.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

McSpanky posted:

That's just it, there's 200 supers at Vought, there's probably a lot more that aren't. Vought picks from the cream of the crop, and the best of the best of them get into the Seven. There's no way there's a cottage industry of child hero pageants on the level of IRL beauty pageants if there's only like 200 supers total.

Yeah I guess Mesmer has been kicked out of the "Vought family", so they're probably going with that angle. Now that I think about it, there's a bunch of non Vought "villains" in the comic too, so that's it most likely.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I'm only on page 9 right now but a couple of questions popped into my head and I don't want to forget them because I'm an addle brained idiot.

1. Seth Reed (played by Malcolm Barrett who played Hoover in Preacher) works for Vought, but was also in the supe support grout because he had his dick frozen off. Was he undercover or am I just suffering from goon face blindness and that was a different guy?

2. In one of the PYF threads, someone mentioned a "Man in the sky" moment from the comics for Homelander, but never provided further explanation. Can anyone enlighten me?

3. (thought of another) Why didn't they do anything further to A-Train when they broke his leg? I kept expecting him to be caged up in the next scene (when the CIA rescued the families).

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Aug 14, 2019

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

1. It is the same guy (and it looks like a potential major PR issue for Vought).
2. In the comics the Homelander grows increasingly detached from humanity and in the end leads a superhero revolt against the government. Just before that, while attending the Christian fair that's also in the show, he lifts a car that has been won by a lucky family with the family in it. In theory he is supposed to fly them home, but in reality he says "I'm the only man in the sky" before plaunging them to the death. In general, the timeline from the show is quite altered from the comic book one, so the Christian fair is almost at the end of the story.

I have to say I have appreciated the fact that season 1 has Butcher build up the team instead of having Hughie join them with the Boys already up and running. I'm not sure about the changes to MM's background though I'm glad they got rid of the whole lactation/tentacle monster part, but I wish they'd kept some of it; his family's story fits very well with the whole "gently caress corporations" vibe. I guess it would clash with the whole ""normal" people VS supes" angle most of 1st season has kept though.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Aug 14, 2019

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/JackQuaid92/status/1161437476273172486?s=20

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Jedit posted:

Vic the Veep is already a pretty good analogue for Trump. Cataclysmically stupid and owned by oligarchs.
Vic was based on Dubya, who was catastrophically stupid and owned by oligarchs.

McSpanky posted:

By the same token, I doubt they could keep "superheroes are psychopaths" under wraps if there were hundreds of non-Vought heroes milling around, to say nothing of the potential for competition. It seems likely to me that "superhero beauty pageant" is the equivalent of a Disney Princess hobby and few to none of the competitors have powers like Starlight does.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Halloween Jack posted:

By the same token, I doubt they could keep "superheroes are psychopaths" under wraps if there were hundreds of non-Vought heroes milling around, to say nothing of the potential for competition. It seems likely to me that "superhero beauty pageant" is the equivalent of a Disney Princess hobby and few to none of the competitors have powers like Starlight does.

I suspect that they're a lot less psychopathic without the constant adulation and legal impunity that Vought's backing brings. See Starlight, and Maeve who apparently used to be just like her before Vought got its hooks in.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Man Christmas must be awkward at Jack’s house.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

That Italian Guy posted:

I have to say I have appreciated the fact that season 1 has Butcher build up the team instead of having Hughie join them with the Boys already up and running. I'm not sure about the changes to MM's background though I'm glad they got rid of the whole lactation/tentacle monster part, but I wish they'd kept some of it; his family's story fits very well with the whole "gently caress corporations" vibe. I guess it would clash with the whole ""normal" people VS supes" angle most of 1st season has kept though.

I kinda doubt they'll keep MM's mom mutating into a titty blob but they might keep the more grounded aspects of his comic backstory, and remix it to something like his little brother manifesting powers that kill him after being given V as an infant, and his father trying to sue VA after that.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I hope they bring Dakota Bob and Vic in, in season 2.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

AFewBricksShy posted:

1. Seth Reed (played by Malcolm Barrett who played Hoover in Preacher) works for Vought, but was also in the supe support grout because he had his dick frozen off. Was he undercover or am I just suffering from goon face blindness and that was a different guy?

Its obviously the same guy. The idea is he met a supe while working for vought, and slept with her. Get it? No, he isn't undercover. He worked for vought, banged a coworker, lost his dick, and then joined the support group.

You have cause and effect backwards.

And he'a a good actor but this character was the exact exact same as Hoover to a T. But maybe they cast him for that and told him to IDK.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

just lol if you don't know that guy as twofer.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Phenotype posted:

just lol if you don't know that guy as twofer.

The only twofer I know is from 30 Rock and that's definitely not that guy, that's Keith Powell

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

He's the guy from Better off Ted! My bad!

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

I personally thought he looked the bastard child of Timothy Olyphant

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Phenotype posted:

He's the guy from Better off Ted! My bad!

Just lol

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I wish you could have all seen my face during that dolphin scene.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
If you don't know him as Lem, you need to watch Better Off Ted (2 seasons) right meow. Way too clever to survive on network TV.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

GD_American posted:

If you don't know him as Lem, you need to watch Better Off Ted (2 seasons) right meow. Way too clever to survive on network TV.

lmao that show was great

also, is prime video down right now? I can't seem to watch anything.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

It seems all right to me

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Great show.

Homelander's body language is perfect, especially during the plane scene. He just looks so disinterested, like he's casually looking around even while Maeve scrambles to do something. The fact that he almost always relies on his laser eyes rather than mixing it up just reinforces it. He's not interested in showing off or testing his powers, so why even move if he doesn't have to?

For what it's worth I think Homelander having sex with Butcher's wife will turn out to either be consensual or not actually him. Using the rape of a partner as a cheap motivational tool for the protagonist and way to make the villain more reprehensible has been done to death, and it's pretty misogynistic too. Given how the show is trying to separate itself from the comics I'd be surprised if they went down that route.

Honestly the idea that Homelander now views Becka, Butcher, his kid and himself as one big hosed-up family could be really interesting. And what does show Homelander actually have to fear from this Butcher? He has no incriminating leverage like in the comics, and he's not even on Compound V. Why would he see him as a threat?

Butcher finding out he had his entire backstory wrong and then getting treated like a brother by his nemesis would certainly be a twist on the comic version.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It could lead to some interesting routes since Butcher's entire "noble" vengeance pursuit is a sham. it either robs the character of the glamour of justified hatred or causes him to double down on it and become as monstrous as Homelander. it's a real interesting writing problem and I'm anxious to see how they address it.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

jabby posted:

Great show.

Homelander's body language is perfect, especially during the plane scene. He just looks so disinterested, like he's casually looking around even while Maeve scrambles to do something. The fact that he almost always relies on his laser eyes rather than mixing it up just reinforces it. He's not interested in showing off or testing his powers, so why even move if he doesn't have to?

For what it's worth I think Homelander having sex with Butcher's wife will turn out to either be consensual or not actually him. Using the rape of a partner as a cheap motivational tool for the protagonist and way to make the villain more reprehensible has been done to death, and it's pretty misogynistic too. Given how the show is trying to separate itself from the comics I'd be surprised if they went down that route.

Honestly the idea that Homelander now views Becka, Butcher, his kid and himself as one big hosed-up family could be really interesting. And what does show Homelander actually have to fear from this Butcher? He has no incriminating leverage like in the comics, and he's not even on Compound V. Why would he see him as a threat?

Butcher finding out he had his entire backstory wrong and then getting treated like a brother by his nemesis would certainly be a twist on the comic version.

Homelander obviously doesn't see baseline humans as actual living things and his actions 100% reflect that. Non-supes are just meat in the way of whatever he wants in that moment, which is usually violence, and barely worthy of getting to see him use his abilities. On a first watch he's obviously weird and kind of funny but going back and watching his interactions he comes off as terrifying. There's no check on him beyond what he decides he wants, they can't just knock him out and put a bomb up his butt like Translucent .

I think the change to the status quo between Homelander and Butcher is drat near genius. Homelander now has a vulnerability - his son. And the only thing scarier than what Butcher will do to that kid is what Homelander will do if someone harms him. You also have the question of: is Becca special somehow (maybe dosed with Compound V as a kid), or is she just 1 in a million, or does Homelander have other kids out there? Either way, Homelander knows now that he's not alone and he doesn't have to settle for mudpeople inhabiting the world that he protects. He can breed them out.

I think the encounter between Becca and Homelander was 100% consensual, which will drive Butcher even more motivated to take out the supes - his life was upended because of the temptation of a figurative god that no one could resist, a god that he knows is flawed and psychotic and dangerous. He might be willing to play along with the "happy family" thing but there's no way season 2 doesn't establish the status quo of the Boys dosed up with Compound V and some sort of detente between them and the Seven because the alternative is mutually assured destruction.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

It seems all right to me

yeah, it came back. There was some sort of issue.

can't stop laughing at the deep scene in episode 4.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mat Cauthon posted:

Homelander obviously doesn't see baseline humans as actual living things and his actions 100% reflect that. Non-supes are just meat in the way of whatever he wants in that moment, which is usually violence, and barely worthy of getting to see him use his abilities

Uh, non-supes? Look at how he talks to Deep and Starlight. Nobody is on Homelander's level. He has no equal.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
He seems to be quite fond of Black Noir! Weird for someone so narcissistic

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

“Not you Black Noir. You’re great!” was a brilliant, if chilling, moment.

I’m not 100% sure of the encounter with Becca, on the one hand a consensual relationship would be a wonderful break from cheap motivation, but on the other hand she was fumbling to put on a shoe outside the apartment, which made me think she’d left very rapidly.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
She wasn't as dishevelled and shellshocked as would be expected/communicated if it were non-consensual.
It seemed more like "Oh god what the gently caress did I do jesus" kind of regret

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Red Oktober posted:

I’m not 100% sure of the encounter with Becca, on the one hand a consensual relationship would be a wonderful break from cheap motivation, but on the other hand she was fumbling to put on a shoe outside the apartment, which made me think she’d left very rapidly.

They needed some way of showing she'd just had sex though, otherwise she could've just been talking to Homelander for three hours.

My random guess: Vought dosed Becca with Compound V, either to allow her to have sex with Homelander in the first place or after she became pregnant so she could survive the birth. Against the odds she survived and she's now a supe, which is why she couldn't go back to Butcher. Butcher's new motivation becomes destroying Vought and the Compound V because the promise of fame and superpowers is obviously too much temptation for humans to resist.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Doltos posted:

I was hesitant to watch this because of the marketing. The Boys is a terrible name and all of Amazon's ads were representing this show as a bunch of rude super heroes loving around. Instead it's this heavy rear end mystery drama with a lot of dark topics and moral ambiguities. Calling this show a super hero deconstruct doesn't really do it justice.

Much agreed. The ad spam on Reddit was loving miserable and completely misrepresented the show, which was a thousand times nastier and gorier than I had expected. The facesitting skullsplosion is such an incredible moment all on its own, and the show really understands that the truly nasty bits are Homelander's evil loving face being a real shitbird.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Red Oktober posted:

I think it's probably honestly a gray area. They touched on it during the Deep's faux apology speech, when he claims he thought it was consensual but didn't realize the power dynamics in play were coercive. Obviously in his case he was lying, but how do you safely turn down a living god that's also basically your boss? I think Becca might have theoretically said yes, but it was not a fair question in the first place.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

FilthyImp posted:

She wasn't as dishevelled and shellshocked as would be expected/communicated if it were non-consensual.
It seemed more like "Oh god what the gently caress did I do jesus" kind of regret

jabby posted:

They needed some way of showing she'd just had sex though, otherwise she could've just been talking to Homelander for three hours.

This is the point I keep bringing up, but while that counter-argument is fair, I still think there are degrees between that and what we saw.

Honestly, though, I’m not entirely comfortable speculating whether or not an implied rape was actually consensual. I know she’s a fictional character and all, but scrutinizing her actions, dress, etc to determine as much feels...ickily transferrable to real life.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I think that was just part of his fake speech. Homelander shoots unstoppable heat rays out of his eyes that can cut people in half and take down airplanes. All the other Supes take a step back when his eyes start heating up because they can't survive the beam. They know it and Homelander knows it so he thinks he's just that much superior.

It seems like all the Supes got some mundane talents that are incidentally really powerful due to physics. There's probably a bunch out there that can run super fast like A-Train or be super resistant to damage like Queen Maeve, maybe some that have unique talents like Mesmer or grew gills like the Deep. Homelander lucked out being both indestructible, flying capable, and laser beam enabled. He's a unique case that makes him truly powerful and combined with no fostering like that doctor said, super insane.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm rereading the "Jack from Jupiter is into transwomen" arc and I want to barf. It was bad when it was released and it's worse now.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/JackQuaid92/status/1161441213528059904?s=20

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1159819386930245634?s=20

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 15, 2019

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

DivisionPost posted:

Honestly, though, I’m not entirely comfortable speculating whether or not an implied rape was actually consensual.
Yeah true. I think some of the disparity I'm reading into it also reflects on Butcher's need for it to be what he believes.
I.e. the shot of Becca outside on the bench looks like someone that'a anxious about a decision not scared for their life.

jabby posted:

Butcher's new motivation becomes destroying Vought and the Compound V because the promise of fame and superpowers is obviously too much temptation for humans to resist.
"No one should have that kind of power" is something I can get behind.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Maybe I was reading it wrong, but the other supes also seemed a bit afraid of Annie. Not as much as Homelander, of course. But there are a couple of moments when she gives supes the eye flash like Homelander and they flinch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

Ehhhh, "if you were really raped you'd be more upset" is a very very bad take. People go into shock when they've been abused and don't always react the way you might expect.

It could very easily go either way, and we shouldn't really push the speculation beyond that.

DivisionPost posted:

Honestly, though, I’m not entirely comfortable speculating whether or not an implied rape was actually consensual. I know she’s a fictional character and all, but scrutinizing her actions, dress, etc to determine as much feels...ickily transferrable to real life.

Yeah this 100%

jabby posted:

Against the odds she survived and she's now a supe, which is why she couldn't go back to Butcher.

This is a good guess. I was figuring they may have used compound V to help her deliver the baby, (and the comics have some things the show doesn't which also make that seem plausible)

But her becoming a supe is something I didn't consider and would be a pretty good twist.

Although so far it seems like you need compound V as a baby to get the full supe treatment.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 15, 2019