Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

This game is insanely good. I'm at the end of my first run at 40+ hours and i'm already excited to start my second playthrough and save as many good boys and girls as possible.

Surprise fave character at the end turned out to be Hubert, with Petra a close second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Judge Tesla posted:

He shows up at about turn 4 I think, he runs into the throne room where the giant monster and crowd of enemies are, I think you know what happens. :v:

much like his liege, he deserved a better end :smith:

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

This game is insanely good. I'm at the end of my first run at 40+ hours and i'm already excited to start my second playthrough and save as many good boys and girls as possible.

lol yeah seriously i have to try hard to not blow all my renown on my NG+ out of my desire to have the rest of my precious golden deer babies back

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Judge Tesla posted:

He shows up at about turn 4 I think, he runs into the throne room where the giant monster and crowd of enemies are, I think you know what happens. :v:

He pokes at a few things and takes zero damage in return, then Lysithea strides up and oneshots the boss? I don't think that guy fell below 95% health in my playthrough.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dorothea rules and now im retroactively mad about all the 'ah the f/f stuff is just there for titillation' takes

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
As much as I like this game I kind of miss the huge battles from radiant dawn with 50+ enemies and lots of friendlies involved.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Judge Tesla posted:

The Death Knight would have been better if it was never explained who he was at all, should have kept him as some mysterious guy who shows up and does whatever he wants.

I mean that's basically what he is.
He has too major of a role in that Flayn chapter and I'd really rather that didn't exist. He'd be fine without that one I think.

Also the only chapter where the month mechanic absolutely breaks down, leaving Manuela lying unconscious for 3 weeks seems harsh

In other news - breaking the armour for the Golems in Rhea's paralogue (which might be golden deer only) gives you three mithril each so I finally got a fancy weapon.
Did the lance because it's ranged.

Where the gently caress do you get wootz steel? More monster armour stuff?

Taear fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Aug 14, 2019

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
Dorothea rules... along with her wife Petra as Queen of Brigid

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FrickenMoron posted:

As much as I like this game I kind of miss the huge battles from radiant dawn with 50+ enemies and lots of friendlies involved.
those were kind of fun but i dont miss waiting seven minutes for all the useless crimean knight npcs to band together to take down one halbedier

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Endorph posted:

those were kind of fun but i dont miss waiting seven minutes for all the useless crimean knight npcs to band together to take down one halbedier

Emulation has it's advantages. But yeah now we just have the skip turn button for that. But the battles feel very small scale in 3H.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
I just watched Edelgard's execution scene, and holy poo poo, how is she still the best character even when it's not her route??
Also, drat, professor, cutting her head off mid-sentence is just ice-cold

Judge Tesla posted:

You know, I saw these posts, but figured y'all just had lovely luck or something because he came in and face-tanked like 6 guys without a scratch
...then, despite wearing heavy armor, he decided to walk forward into the range of three mages. :rip:

e: Hubert sending you a posthumous letter telling you to clean up the Slithers because neither he or Edelgard are around to eventually get justice is very good. Black Eagle House best house.

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Aug 14, 2019

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

FrickenMoron posted:

RD is still probably my favorite FE game just from map design alone but the wrapping of Three Houses is a lot more entertaining IMO. There are some maps in TH that are reminiscent of RD's maps but nothing on the order of defending Elinica's castle or the camp defense in the last chapter.

I finally hit the timeskip on my second playthrough (BE) and I'm feeling incredibly overpowered and wishing I had played on Hard. I had Advanced classes like 8 chapters into the first half since with the benefits of statues and starting with A+ Professor level, you can do a LOT of work quickly. I hope the DLC has some tougher and more varied maps, but that's a long way away.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Blaziken386 posted:

e: Hubert sending you a posthumous letter telling you to clean up the Slithers because neither he or Edelgard are around to eventually get justice is very good. Black Eagle House best house.

my head hurts just thinking of the physics and math poo poo he had to do to calculate the location of shambhala based on where the ICBMs hit fort merceus from :v:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

dorothea rules and now im retroactively mad about all the 'ah the f/f stuff is just there for titillation' takes

Were they really such takes? I remember the "gay stuff doesn't count unless Byleth is involved" takes but that one is new to me.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Taear posted:

Where the gently caress do you get wootz steel? More monster armour stuff?

Yep. Wolves, specifically.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Were they really such takes? I remember the "gay stuff doesn't count unless Byleth is involved" takes but that one is new to me.

There are lots of very gay-sounding endings for some of the other character pairings it sounds like to me though? The game isn't really explicit about it, I guess.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Yep. Wolves, specifically.

There are lots of very gay-sounding endings for some of the other character pairings it sounds like to me though? The game isn't really explicit about it, I guess.

Man it's such an annoying mechanic, I hate having to smash the armour like that

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
There's plenty of gambits that hit multiple spaces, just spam them on the monster until all the shields are broken.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Chocolate Bunny posted:

There's plenty of gambits that hit multiple spaces, just spam them on the monster until all the shields are broken.

The Batallions the Lords get in Part 2 are really, really good. the Gambits have huge ranges, two uses and great stats so that even as rank B, they are better than a lot of the Rank A's. Stride is even on a Rank B but not A, though A has the Dancer effect one (which is the best).

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

FrickenMoron posted:

I was really disappointed you dont get anything for keeping Dedue alive in Chapter 20 or so of Golden Deer. Not even any dialogue.

Some dude in the monastery recognizes that you kept him alive and said he hosed off back to his homeland or something.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

FrickenMoron posted:

I was really disappointed you dont get anything for keeping Dedue alive in Chapter 20 or so of Golden Deer. Not even any dialogue.

You do get dialogue for it, it’s just from one of the randos hanging out at the monastery instead of any of the named characters. If you missed it he just talks about how Dedue made sure Edelgard’s funeral would have to be closed casket and then hosed off back to Duscur

e;fb

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Chocolate Bunny posted:

I know there are but also putting on batallions is a pain and I've not got a great mix because I have four fliers in my group.
It's not the end of the world, it's just a faf

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Scrap Dragon posted:

You do get dialogue for it, it’s just from one of the randos hanging out at the monastery instead of any of the named characters. If you missed it he just talks about how Dedue made sure Edelgard’s funeral would have to be closed casket and then hosed off back to Duscur

e;fb

Listen. Sometimes you need to just make sure that they stay dead.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

So I just finished chapter 2 and I’ve got some questions:

If I choose to fight a grind battle early in the month, will I always fight the story mission at the end of the month? I didn’t realize you only get to fight one battle a week or whatever and I don’t want a game over situation.

I’m going Golden Deer for my first play through and I’ve got a couple people ready to reclass. But I’m terrified I’m gonna gently caress it up somehow, I mean, it’s pretty obvious I don’t want to make my poindexters into tanks, and my meat men (hi Raphael!) into mages but will I get screwed if I play around? It seems like my options to tinker and play around are hamstrung by the calendar. Does that change?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Tall Tale Teller posted:

So I just finished chapter 2 and I’ve got some questions:

If I choose to fight a grind battle early in the month, will I always fight the story mission at the end of the month? I didn’t realize you only get to fight one battle a week or whatever and I don’t want a game over situation.

I’m going Golden Deer for my first play through and I’ve got a couple people ready to reclass. But I’m terrified I’m gonna gently caress it up somehow, I mean, it’s pretty obvious I don’t want to make my poindexters into tanks, and my meat men (hi Raphael!) into mages but will I get screwed if I play around? It seems like my options to tinker and play around are hamstrung by the calendar. Does that change?
-You can fight as many battles a week as you want, provided they don't have a point cost next to their name.
-You absolutely do not need to do that, unless you're juggling like, 30 units
-The end of the month is always mission time.
-Reclass whenever you want, there's only a couple jobs that are super beneficial for mastering (mage, brigand)
-You won't get screwed if you try to change it up, so long as you have a goal in mind for their final class. IE: if you know you want to use someone on a wyvern, don't neglect axe training.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Taear posted:

Seems like if you do a meal you don't get relations up if one person is neutral to that meal and one doesn't like it. The arrows (the red ones on the right) still sort of confuse me. Big blue up and big red down make sense but not the small up arrows

The small arrows mean that there's an event that week giving that person an extra boost.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Blaziken386 posted:

-You can fight as many battles a week as you want, provided they don't have a point cost next to their name.
-You absolutely do not need to do that, unless you're juggling like, 30 units
-The end of the month is always mission time.
-Reclass whenever you want, there's only a couple jobs that are super beneficial for mastering (mage, brigand)
-You won't get screwed if you try to change it up, so long as you have a goal in mind for their final class. IE: if you know you want to use someone on a wyvern, don't neglect axe training.

and also many master classes aren't necessarily better than advanced classes so don't feel bad if some units don't get there

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Arguably the thing to know about master classes is that most of them want you to have a B+/A in either Riding or Flying, so if you intend to make someone, say, a Holy Knight or Great Knight, it might be a good idea to put them on horse duty ASAP.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

What does all of the stuff in the middle of class certification mean?

I have equipped 156 what? What does 168 get me? What does the blue bar indicate? Is 168 a particularly high increase?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
The (post-time skip major battle) Battle of Eagle and Lion redux was prob the most interesting battle so far.

The first time through I tried to rush the central platform like I did in the original battle. Jokes on you, Edelgard lights it on fire! I ended up fully reseting the fight after getting pincered by the Kingdom and Empire armies, so I guess technically Edelgard beat me. The next time through I swept around the forest and hit Edelgard first, that seems to be the way to go. Dimitri mopped up the rest of her army for me, what a great lad. Turns out, even if you force Edelgard to retreat she STILL somehow manages to light the central platform on fire if you try to take it though.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tall Tale Teller posted:

You have a lot of months on the calendar, so you have room to play around.

Really, as long as you have a general "role" in mind for a character, you can't really gently caress them up. Like if you look at Lysithea and correctly observe that she's a super-mage, then just keep promoting her through mage classes, she's going to turn out amazing. If you take a look at Raphael's stats and proficiencies and go "this is a boy who loves to punch" and take him down a path that lets him punch a lot of things very hard, he's going to be a real great unit.

There's room to experiment and play around. For example, Hilda doesn't have a proficiency in flying, but if you take the time to train her, she makes a fantastic Wyvern Rider/Wyvern Lord. Same for Byleth, incidentally. And some characters have really versatile proficiencies that make it easier to take them down multiple paths than others. This is outside Golden Deer, but Petra's proficiencies are set up really well for her to succeed as either an Assassin, a Swordmaster, or a Wyvern Lord, and you really can't go wrong there.

Once you unlock a class by using a seal and passing the certification, reclassing is free and can be done any time you're not in the middle of a battle, so there's no harm in doing that. Like you already know, as long as you're not parking a character in a class they have no business being in for an extended period of time, you'll be fine, and even if you do that, they still might turn out fine.

Also, don't worry too much about class mastery. There are some abilities you can get that are pretty good, but your units will turn out great with or without them.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Arguably the thing to know about master classes is that most of them want you to have a B+/A in either Riding or Flying, so if you intend to make someone, say, a Holy Knight or Great Knight, it might be a good idea to put them on horse duty ASAP.

I wish you could have horse duty AND patrol duty but well I want my wyverns so sorry ponies

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Hakkesshu posted:

What does all of the stuff in the middle of class certification mean?

I have equipped 156 what? What does 168 get me? What does the blue bar indicate? Is 168 a particularly high increase?
Your current stat total is 156, after reclassing it will be 168.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Terper posted:

Your current stat total is 156, after reclassing it will be 168.

Oh wow, that's good to know. That makes it a lot easier to see which classes are worth chasing for stat boosts even if you don't plan on sticking with them.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

You could also hit Zr and then inspect your stats to see what specifically increases and why.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

RBA Starblade posted:

I wish you could have horse duty AND patrol duty but well I want my wyverns so sorry ponies

Yeah it’s kind of crazy you can’t do all three options every week. Like just because Marianne and Leonie are looking after the horses that means Hilda and Raphael are too busy to pull up weeds??

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
^^^^^
Well, in case of Hilda in particular, probably :p

Terper posted:

You could also hit Zr and then inspect your stats to see what specifically increases and why.

This is particularly important since if you go over each stat it will tell how much of the change is due to a bonus/penalty from being in the class, and how much is a change due to being brought up to class base stats, which can give a permanent improvement from just passing the exam, even if you never equip the class. (This usually happens when you first reach advanced classes, but sometimes people going towards some hybridish class can take a side exam and get some stats).

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
You'd think unlocking higher prof level would let you assign more group tasks but it doesn't for... whatever reason.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Speaking of class stat bonuses, I read a thing a few days ago about the benefits of training your whole crew up to C in heavy armor. Weight -3 can make a meaningful difference in AS even for faster units, especially when doubling gets less consistent on the later maps. Whether that's actually worth it I don't really know, but it seems interesting.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Thanks everyone. I’m not a FE newbie, but there’s a lot of new stuff in this one.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

I had no problems doubling people anyway, and those ability slots tend to fill up real fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simulation883
Jan 1, 2007

Scrap Dragon posted:

Yeah it’s kind of crazy you can’t do all three options every week. Like just because Marianne and Leonie are looking after the horses that means Hilda and Raphael are too busy to pull up weeds??

For a potential "in-universe" explanation, the 3 duties might be split between each house.