Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

gay picnic defence posted:

AFLW? Although that seems from some quarters to have been something they were pushed into.

They were pushed into making it a thing reluctantly, They treat the women's competition and the women competing in it as second class citizens. And they spent more money promoting and setting up AFLX than they did AFLW.

So whilst he can "technically" crow about AFLW arriving on his watch, I would not in any way say that it was a success for Gil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

BrigadierSensible posted:

They were pushed into making it a thing reluctantly, They treat the women's competition and the women competing in it as second class citizens. And they spent more money promoting and setting up AFLX than they did AFLW.

So whilst he can "technically" crow about AFLW arriving on his watch, I would not in any way say that it was a success for Gil.

It’s pretty much how the Liberals will forever trumpet that they legalised gay marriage.

It became untenable for them not to do something, and they tried their best (and largely succeeded) to utterly gently caress the implementation.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
https://twitter.com/phildavis_1/status/1161409566065565696?s=21

:patriot:

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I'm going to miss that Lurch-looking motherfucker

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Ah crap Polly Farmer has died.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

quote:

But the 32-year-old – who has kicked 599 goals in his illustrious career - said he planned to fulfill the final year of his contract with the Crows next year.

"I'm contracted to the Adelaide Football Club and I'll be playing footy for the Adelaide Crows," Betts told radio station FIVEaa on Wednesday morning.

"There's been a lot of rumours the last couple of weeks about me leaving, which (are) completely untrue.

:unsmith:

The Deadly Hume posted:

Ah crap Polly Farmer has died.

:smith:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Rest in peace, Polly.

My dad used to tell me a story of when Polly was playing at Geelong that he would visit the farms in the area as he was working for an agent for some farm products. Of course dad would ask Polly to show off his handball skills, so Polly would handball through the side window of his car.

Oh drat, he died from Alzheimers, just like what my dad is suffering from :smith:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I sincerely hope he remembers that hit, it looks like the kind you might not remember too well.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Another club fails to poach Clarkson. Teague appointed by Carlton.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Really got my hopes up when I saw Sam Newman was trending on Twitter.

Ah well.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Teague Train, choo choo.

Also, Tayla Harris won her 6th pro fight, total knockout in under 2 minutes of the second round.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...AQfkOeoorZZ6VvU

snitches get stitches, poor losers

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

:psyboom:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Phill Inn though, that's fantastic

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
"hamstring strain"

Phill Inn though... genius.

And a picture of Carltons two senior coaches, AFL and AFLW:

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Congrats to Teague, he thoroughly deserves the Carlton job. He's taken them from a joke to a pretty formidable unit, pretty much from the moment he took over.

I also can't help but notice that when he was the Crows' forward coach we had the best-performing forward line in the league and the moment he left we became bog average.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!

Any dodgy bets placed?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

cmndstab posted:

Congrats to Teague, he thoroughly deserves the Carlton job. He's taken them from a joke to a pretty formidable unit, pretty much from the moment he took over.

I also can't help but notice that when he was the Crows' forward coach we had the best-performing forward line in the league and the moment he left we became bog average.

Which begs the question, Bolton was supposed to be the poo poo since he training as a coach under Clarkson's wing, but turned out to be a complete failure, what the gently caress happened there? Did Bolton have a completely poo poo attitude towards the players?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Yeah I'm split on this; one one hand Sier really shouldn't have been playing another sport while injured but on the other hand Phill Inn is a loving amazing pseudonym

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

You Am I posted:

Which begs the question, Bolton was supposed to be the poo poo since he training as a coach under Clarkson's wing, but turned out to be a complete failure, what the gently caress happened there? Did Bolton have a completely poo poo attitude towards the players?

Nah, he was fine. The players didn’t learn how to play footy overnight once Bolton was sacked, everything they’re capable of now is on the back of his coaching.

I have a theory that the sudden improvement of sides after sacking the coach is due to the removal of a fuckton of pressure that was on the players rather than any ability of the new coach.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
Bolton was also playing some of the senior players out of position for the sake of developing the younger guys, which should help in the long run but made it very hard for them to win games this year.

Teague moved them back to their best positions (e.g. Murphy and E. Curnow into the centre bounces) which also contributed to the sudden improvement of the teams performance.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Bolton was coaching for the future. He's done a lot of good fetting gametime into kids. But as mentioned he played players out of position, where it didnt work.

He also was trying to teach a 'complicated' gameplan and once the game started he didn't change that plan, he'd play the whole game without moving players around and fix the issues for the next match.

Teague came in and instantly moved players around the ground to get better matchups.

Teague apparently tried to get bolton to change things up during games last year but was shot down.

Bolton will still be a decent coach in the future, he just had a massive and nigh impossible task with the team he inherited and what was required via list management. 56 players cut in 3 seasons. Hardly any veterans or experienced players.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

drunkill posted:

Bolton will still be a decent coach in the future, he just had a massive and nigh impossible task with the team he inherited and what was required via list management. 56 players cut in 3 seasons. Hardly any veterans or experienced players.

Which was a situation 2 Carlton coaches in a row faced, with Malthouse being hired to win a flag with Rattens middling list

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Still sounds like Bolton was a poo poo coach unless he had a dream team

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Carlton have been about as far from a dream team as you could get

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

snaeksikn posted:

Which was a situation 2 Carlton coaches in a row faced, with Malthouse being hired to win a flag with Rattens middling list

Rattens list was decent. We played finals for four years and when we finished 10th the board sacked him.

Yes there was dead weight and room for improvement but malthouse hosed that up by bringing across dale thomas and his dodgy ankle on a multimillion dollar deal which blew away all the cap space, which forced betts out as we couldn't even give him a slight payrise (significantly less than the crows sere offering) to keep him at the club.

Anyway. We have a good list now and probably only 5 players will be delisted thjs year which is much less than the ~12 delisting each year like under bolton. Bring in two or threeature players and 3 or 4 draft topups and we'll see where we go bext year.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Rory Atkins finally out, presumably we've found a buyer for him and don't need to trot him out the front window anymore.

I still think he was responsible for killing my favourite Crows podcast

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
With Bolton, I think it was just that the team he inherited was so far behind the eight ball that in the time it took him to get them up to speed, too much water had passed under the bridge. You can only lose so many games before you get jaded.

Fresh blood comes in, the pressure comes off, and you start to enjoy playing footy again, and suddenly you start winning matches. Happens all the time.

It's why I generally support moving a coach along after a couple years of poor form. It's not necessarily the case that the coach is useless, but eventually the playing group gets so jaded that they just need a change to kick back into gear.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

NTRabbit posted:

Rory Atkins finally out, presumably we've found a buyer for him and don't need to trot him out the front window anymore.

I still think he was responsible for killing my favourite Crows podcast

I've been so disappointed with him this year. I've been a fan of his in previous seasons even as Crows fans have made him the whipping boy, but this year he's just been rubbish. For every good thing he does he'll do five bad things, he constantly runs himself into trouble, and sides have all worked out he can only kick on his left side.

I still think he's a good player, but we shouldn't see him again this year. Freshen him up for 2020 and get a good preseason into him.

Edit: Wow, I just noticed that the Crows have named O'Brien and Jacobs to play. That's kinda bizarre, both of them are really only useful in the lead ruck role and both of them tend to play 80-90% game time in that role. The only possible alternative for either of them is to rest at full forward, and we've already got Walker, Fogarty and Lynch up forward. I guess we're expecting Jacobs to play the Josh Jenkins role? That sounds like it's going to be a disaster.

Can't help but wonder if this is going to be a farewell game for Jacobs.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Aug 15, 2019

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

cmndstab posted:

It's why I generally support moving a coach along after a couple years of poor form. It's not necessarily the case that the coach is useless, but eventually the playing group gets so jaded that they just need a change to kick back into gear.

Its the sort of thing I'm wondering with Woosha at the moment. I still think he was absolutely the right appointment for 2016/2017 as a measured, mature presence to get the club through that period directly after the suspensions. But now.. I'm sure there's a fuckton more wrong with our club than just a head coach (Justin Crow being moved on is a good move given our injury problems). But we are out the other side of the WADA stuff I could see a change of coach being pretty timely.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

thepokey posted:

Its the sort of thing I'm wondering with Woosha at the moment. I still think he was absolutely the right appointment for 2016/2017 as a measured, mature presence to get the club through that period directly after the suspensions. But now.. I'm sure there's a fuckton more wrong with our club than just a head coach (Justin Crow being moved on is a good move given our injury problems). But we are out the other side of the WADA stuff I could see a change of coach being pretty timely.

Yeah, I'm thinking similarly about Don Pyke. He's been excellent in the wake of the Phil Walsh tragedy, a real calm head who got us playing some seriously good footy for a while. But we've been down for two seasons now and if we end up missing the finals again (which I think is likely) I can't help but wonder if we'll move him on?

Straight swap Pyke for Woosha imo.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Doesn't Jacobs need exactly one more match to hit a major milestone or something?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Daisy Thomas hits 100 carlton games this weekend. He's getting delisted/announcing his retirement tomorrow by all reports.

Luckily for him he gets his name on the locker, could have been suspended or dropped for two extra weeks and been stranded on 99 games like Sam Rowe last year.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Chairchucker posted:

Doesn't Jacobs need exactly one more match to hit a major milestone or something?

Yeah, he's on 199 games.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Looks like Ballantyne is pulling the pin at Freo. Always loved how angry he made opposition fans.

https://youtu.be/LyxdhxZF1EY

Also the anchor is back!
https://twitter.com/freodockers/status/1161470225193168897?s=21

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

ok some of those are pretty good

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!

Yeah, that’s amazing!

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
it is weekly too.

far better than the real sliding doors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!
I wouldn’t give a poo poo about this game apart from the fact that I’m equal first in my work tipping comp and I picked Melbourne and the other guy picked Sydney, so it got interesting.
But holy cow, some of those umpiring decisions are weird. That final “htb “ when Lewis just pushes the swans player in the back and gets a free for it. Bizarre.