Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

doxx 'em and toxx 'em

the crews doxxing white nationalists in public spaces and informing their employers are saving lives every day they make someone pause and think twice before signal boosting a death's head meme or genocidal manifesto

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Aug 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Potato Salad posted:

doxx 'em and toxx 'em

the crews doxxing white nationalists in public spaces and informing their employers are saving lives every day they make someone pause and think twice before signal boosting a death's head meme or genocidal manifesto

Yeah, agreed. That is a good use of doxxing.

Bryan Krebs just chose to use it to be petty.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Rufus Ping posted:

Think this was two separate incidents. Doxed notdan over spamhaus and also some other person who left a bad review
This. Notdan caused much Lost Face.

I'm gonna make a shirt that says Dont krebs me bro for the next infosec thing I go to.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
A while back I posted about how our CC company has the most useless 2FA implementation..

Well they made a small edit:

Now it specifically tells you that you can click on the Email or Phone number to update it. Changing the email address this way still changes the email on the account with no notification or verification. But you still don't have to bother with any of that.. Just click User Settings and it will go right into the account with no 2FA needed.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

stevewm posted:

A while back I posted about how our CC company has the most useless 2FA implementation..

Now it specifically tells you that you can click on the Email or Phone number to update it. Changing the email address this way still changes the email on the account with no notification or verification. But you still don't have to bother with any of that.. Just click User Settings and it will go right into the account with no 2FA needed.
this is well into name and publicly shame territory now

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

stevewm posted:

Just click User Settings and it will go right into the account with no 2FA needed.

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

Let us help you FORCE change. This can get handled by twitter in about 24 hours.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Taviso hitting out of the park again

https://googleprojectzero.blogspot.com/2019/08/down-rabbit-hole.html

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/project-zero/issues/detail?id=1859

My favorite part:

quote:

Perhaps that means they're supremely confident they completely understand all facets of the issue and have an airtight solution, and were just flexing by wasting the first 30 days of their embargo.

TLDR, full privilege elevation from 0 to system using CTF and Microsoft doesn't have a full fix for it yet.

edit: for the partial fix: https://portal.msrc.microsoft.com/en-us/security-guidance/advisory/CVE-2019-1162

The Fool fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 13, 2019

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

stevewm posted:

Name and shame please. This is horrible

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Lain Iwakura posted:

Name and shame please. This is horrible

Not quite ready to do that yet...

I have reported it somewhere else, that will likely get results instead of their first line people that don't know poo poo.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

stevewm posted:

I have reported it somewhere else, that will likely get results instead of their first line people that don't know poo poo.

poo poo won't really change until Visa realizes this is a thing. They will threaten to terminate their contract.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

stevewm posted:

Are you a customer? It's easier to just get them publicly shamed to get anything dealt with. First-line people will be ignored. I know this first-hand.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The Fool posted:

Taviso hitting out of the park again

https://googleprojectzero.blogspot.com/2019/08/down-rabbit-hole.html

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/project-zero/issues/detail?id=1859

My favorite part:

TLDR, full privilege elevation from 0 to system using CTF and Microsoft doesn't have a full fix for it yet.

edit: for the partial fix: https://portal.msrc.microsoft.com/en-us/security-guidance/advisory/CVE-2019-1162

Jesus Christ. Technology was a mistake.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

"Microsoft" posted:

To exploit this vulnerability, an attacker would first have to log on to the system.

If they have gotten this far, you already have more problems than this vulnerability.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

stevewm posted:

If they have gotten this far, you already have more problems than this vulnerability.

Ah... I'd classify any application being run under any context getting root as being pretty serious.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Internet Explorer posted:

Ah... I'd classify any application being run under any context getting root as being pretty serious.

Ugh yeah... Guess I should have read the page more thoroughly. I thought it was talking about the one also announced today with Remote Desktop... (https://msrc-blog.microsoft.com/2019/08/13/patch-new-wormable-vulnerabilities-in-remote-desktop-services-cve-2019-1181-1182/) Please don't expose RDP to the internet people...

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

stevewm posted:

stevewm posted:

if we're down to guessing based off of the colour scheme, indiana, photo watermarks and general incompetence... state bank of lizton?

at least i'm pretty sure they're using netteller

e: also how many of your banks outsource authentication to secureinternetbank[.]com?

Wiggly Wayne DDS fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 13, 2019

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

if we're down to guessing based off of the colour scheme, indiana, photo watermarks and general incompetence... state bank of lizton?

Nah......

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

well i'm not digging through every netteller bank there, they're all as equally lovely

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Password managers have too many similar names. The ones other than 1Pass should be forced to rename themselves "The one you shouldn't use" and "The other one you shouldn't use", IMO?

E: Wait, 1Pass is the good one right? :ohdear:

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
KeepAss is a very memorable name :colbert:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Kassad posted:

well, its obviously not either of the alternatives he was thinking, since it is the superior solution

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
I made my thumb drive's partition into an encrypted volume with a hidden volume inside, and I can mount the outer volume fine, but whenever I try to mount the hidden volume (by doing the exact same thing as mounting the outer volume except with the other password) I get this error message

Anybody know what could be causing this?

Its Coke fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Aug 14, 2019

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Kassad posted:

Expert Sex Change recommends KeepAss

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Its Coke posted:

I made my thumb drive's partition into an encrypted volume with a hidden volume inside, and I can mount the outer volume fine, but whenever I try to mount the hidden volume (by doing the exact same thing as mounting the outer volume except with the other password) I get this error message

Anybody know what could be causing this?

Did you make any changes in the outer (non-hidden) volume while it was mounted normally? If so, you may have overwritten part of the the empty space that was hosting the hidden volume. If you need to make any changes in the outer volume, there's a special way to mount it safely where you give it both passwords, so that VeraCrypt knows what areas to leave alone. (If it did that when the outer volume was just mounted normally, it'd give away the secret that there's a hidden volume in there.)

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

CommieGIR posted:

Keepass for local DB. I like Keepass.

KeePass chat regarding some auto type issues people had a few pages back—

Some of the best features aren’t super intuitive at first, but the ctrl+v autotype that pumps credentials wherever the cursor bar is (eg messaging window or browser url bar) can be fixed with ctrl+alt+a autotype, which is locked to a specific window. You just have to set this up with each credential by going into the auto fill tab for each credential and selecting the source from the drop down menu of active windows. This way, so long as KeePass is open in the background, you can single press keyboard shortcut auto log in to whatever and this works ridiculously well.

Another great feature if your domain doesn’t have a seamless SSO, you can insert field references for passwords. That way, you only have to have one set of credentials to update for your work domain, and everything can populate off that.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

OSU_Matthew posted:

KeePass chat regarding some auto type issues people had a few pages back—

Some of the best features aren’t super intuitive at first, but the ctrl+v autotype that pumps credentials wherever the cursor bar is (eg messaging window or browser url bar) can be fixed with ctrl+alt+a autotype, which is locked to a specific window. You just have to set this up with each credential by going into the auto fill tab for each credential and selecting the source from the drop down menu of active windows. This way, so long as KeePass is open in the background, you can single press keyboard shortcut auto log in to whatever and this works ridiculously well.

Another great feature if your domain doesn’t have a seamless SSO, you can insert field references for passwords. That way, you only have to have one set of credentials to update for your work domain, and everything can populate off that.

CTRL+ALT+A autotype by default will look to see if any window titles contains the words of the entry's title. You don't HAVE to pick the specific window title in the entry unless you turn that option off or if you want different auto-type sequences for different individual windows.

But I would try to avoid auto-type if you can and just use the Kee browser plugin. The only time I use auto-type anymore is using it to log into video game accounts.

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

Powered Descent posted:

Did you make any changes in the outer (non-hidden) volume while it was mounted normally? If so, you may have overwritten part of the the empty space that was hosting the hidden volume. If you need to make any changes in the outer volume, there's a special way to mount it safely where you give it both passwords, so that VeraCrypt knows what areas to leave alone. (If it did that when the outer volume was just mounted normally, it'd give away the secret that there's a hidden volume in there.)

No, I didn't make any changes. I created the outer volume first, put things on it, then created the hidden volume and immediately tried to access it but couldn't.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Its Coke posted:

No, I didn't make any changes. I created the outer volume first, put things on it, then created the hidden volume and immediately tried to access it but couldn't.

So it sounds like you didn't lose any data on the hidden volume, since you never got the chance to put anything in there in the first place. That's good news.

But I'm not sure what to tell you now. I've just loaded up Veracrypt and repeated your experiment on an old flash drive, and everything worked perfectly. Have you tried re-doing it from scratch? (It might have been something as simple as typo-ing the password when creating it.)

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
It turns out it had nothing to do with VeraCrypt, it was just the unbelievable shittiness of my flash drive.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

I dunno I can believe a lot of things about the shitiness of a thumb drive.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Thread of horror.

https://twitter.com/_Freakyclown_/status/1162749017337544709

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The replies are horrifying too. They HAVE made improvements to their security -- they now mail the password to you instead of just reading it out over the phone. For over 6 years.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Nothing could surprise me about how awful Virgin Media's internal systems are

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Thanks Ants posted:

Nothing could surprise me about how awful Virgin Media's internal systems are

Let alone most ISP internal systems.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Cup Runneth Over posted:

The replies are horrifying too. They HAVE made improvements to their security -- they now mail the password to you instead of just reading it out over the phone. For over 6 years.

When I reset my password with my ISP, they read it out over the phone - I take it this isn't great infosec then?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

tight aspirations posted:

When I reset my password with my ISP, they read it out over the phone - I take it this isn't great infosec then?

What if it wasn't you on the other end? Remember the weakest link in information security is the person on the other end of the keyboard.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

tight aspirations posted:

Social engineering is a thing. I call up, say I'm you, say oh it's so terrible I can't find it anywhere, can you give it to me? A surprising number of times people can successfully con the underpaid ISP front-end people.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
When I worked at an ISP over a decade ago, we stored all the passwords in plaintext due to having to synchronize our systems. Billing had the same password as your POP3/IMAP access. 🙃

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
We're in the middle of auditing all our production DBs for non-encrypted user tables. We've found more than a few. Thankfully we've put governance in place that forces them to fix it.