Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I used to read those when they were originally printed as short stories in Analog magazine, I remember being excited when the book collecting them all together came out. I still have a few of those issues floating around:

poo poo, that might be what it was. I must have read some of the stories, not the entire book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
There was a PS1 game I had as a kid. It was a shooter, where you were flying into the screen (like starfox). The backgrounds were all pre-rendered. I remember one of the first bosses being a mechanical scorpion thing. The game had 3-4 discs (because of the pre-rendered backgrounds I assume). It came out pretty early in the PS1's lifecycle, so probably in 97 I think

That's all I can remember about it, but if anyone knows what I'm talking about I've been trying to remember what this game was called all day

e: Thought I remembered it being made or published by Psygnosis but I glanced through their PS1 catalog and didn't find it

Revins fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Aug 12, 2019

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos

curlingiron posted:

Any chance it was Sam and Max: Freelance Police? The game was never actually released, but looking at some of the stills here, there was an environment similar to what you described, and PC Gamer did a feature on it in that timeframe.

I'm not sure... some of the environments there look surprisingly like my memories, but I thought what I saw was a playable demo. I'd originally ruled out Sam & Max due to the 2D style, but now I'm wondering if I just saw some trailer on a PC Gamer demo disc and my memory confused it.

This gives me some years to look at though, maybe I can actually track it down now!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

pseudanonymous posted:

How do you pronounce meme?

Same as the book: meems all one syllable.

”smart dude” posted:

So the first definition of the word - that is still accurate and in use. Sorry about your therapist though.

He literally lost it when some of my books were AD&D themed. Pool of Radiance, Pools of Twilight, etc.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Julius CSAR posted:

Speaking of old Mac games, can we all just take a moment to remember Our Lord and Savior, Ambrosia Software?

RIP. The site and forums were still up until a few months ago, but are finally and truly dead now. Still kind of surprised and disappointed that they never did much with mobile/indie gaming, both of which boomed not super long after they started to fizzle out. Oh well.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

there was an old flash game I played back in the mid 00's that start with a k that I can't remember for the life of me and I put hours of time into it.

It was a 2d flash/web browser fighting game with destructible geometry and you could fling fireballs around and stuff. Kaput or Kabam or something like that.

I miss it.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

DerekSmartymans posted:

I also forgot mine. My dad used to find books for me by author or picture on the cover. On visitation day one summer he brought me 7 or 8 from new authors who “seemed” like sci-fi based on cover. He brought me a book with a man in a snowy background while wearing a white coverall/hat and holding some futuristic gun. The book was about memes, but this was back in high school before the web really existed and memes were more scholarly-based and dangerous. A computer AI (not the only one) learned how to use memes (pronounced meems) to overwrite human brains. The AI was trying to use memes to take over the world, and a resistance had formed against it.

Again, this is NOT memes like we think of them. They were more like radio jingles and cell towers and subliminal TV commercials. The early version of the word that the modern meaning of them from which it grew.

I ended up in restraints while I was halfway through the book. My Psychiatrist got rid of all 100 or so books because they were mostly sci-fi/fantasy and causing delusions interfering with my treatment plan. I still hate that doctor but I always wanted to finish that book.

Are you thinking of Snow Crash?

Garfield
Jun 25, 2019

The name of a point and click adventure game for the pc. The only thing I can remember about the game is that at one point you can click on a tankard and when you do, your character says “A tankard? I’ll take it”, then the owner of the tankard yells “Ere that’s moine!” in like a think farmer accent, and you are unable to take the tankard.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Garfield posted:

The name of a point and click adventure game for the pc. The only thing I can remember about the game is that at one point you can click on a tankard and when you do, your character says “A tankard? I’ll take it”, then the owner of the tankard yells “Ere that’s moine!” in like a think farmer accent, and you are unable to take the tankard.

The Curse of Monkey Island?

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Bold Robot posted:

RIP. The site and forums were still up until a few months ago, but are finally and truly dead now. Still kind of surprised and disappointed that they never did much with mobile/indie gaming, both of which boomed not super long after they started to fizzle out. Oh well.

I think EV Nova is available on GoG, but I don’t think holding out hope for Harry The Handsome Executive will be a good idea

thpook
Jul 30, 2003

squawk

cormorant posted:

A song I heard one time at least 20 years ago that has stuck with me. It was a folk-rock style song, and the one line I can remember from it is "sitting in the back of a long black Cadillac."

I've googled every iteration of this phrase a dozen times and not found the right one.

If I could compare the style to any artist, it would be Nick Cave, but I'm pretty sure I dug through his entire catalog looking for it and didn't find it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zDkMfhSteE

The Blasters, Long White Cadillac.

(I hope)

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Unfinish3d posted:

There was a PS1 game I had as a kid. It was a shooter, where you were flying into the screen (like starfox). The backgrounds were all pre-rendered. I remember one of the first bosses being a mechanical scorpion thing. The game had 3-4 discs (because of the pre-rendered backgrounds I assume). It came out pretty early in the PS1's lifecycle, so probably in 97 I think

That's all I can remember about it, but if anyone knows what I'm talking about I've been trying to remember what this game was called all day

e: Thought I remembered it being made or published by Psygnosis but I glanced through their PS1 catalog and didn't find it

Isn't this Colony Wars? It was published by Psygnosis and came on 2 discs.

EDIT - Or G-Police, also by Psygnosis and which came on 2 discs.

Dell_Zincht fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Aug 13, 2019

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Unfinish3d posted:

Sounds kind of like Varnak, but it's only a single disc, iirc.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I posted about this one already but it's still driving me crazy thinking about - and none of my coworkers at the arcade can remember what it's called either:

A mechanical two-player 'soccer' game where you stand at each end of a sloped 'field' and control paddles with a crank.

It's similar to Spectrum Fireball but that's NOT IT. The version I played was different in that the crank could be moved from side to side to move your paddle, and the paddle itself was actually two with a gap in the center that could be scored through. The field may have also been designed to look like a soccer pitch.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Riptor posted:

Are you thinking of Snow Crash?

Nope. I have a copy of that and for a fun read, it’s not too hard to understand. This book was also not Cell by S. King.

I do appreciate the attempt, though!

Garfield
Jun 25, 2019

Captain Splendid posted:

The Curse of Monkey Island?

Unfortunately not, it was definitely not done in a flat cartoon style, more rendered. I think the setting was a fantasy one though. Turns out I can remember a few more things about it after all!

Actually I’d like to also find out the name of another point and click adventure as well. This one was also a fantasy one, but I think it was done in a cartoon style. What I remember from this one was that at some point there were crystal tigers, and your character exclaims “crystal tigers!”.

I played both these games with my brother, and we will still quote these lines to each other but can’t remember what games they were, so it would be neat to find out. I realise there’s very little info to go on

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Bones posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_WPLNf3jbI

This is a small snippet of what's apparently a two hour video. If you search "teens destroy house 1995" on youtube you can find other clips of them destroying the bathroom and even smashing holes in the ceiling from above. They also liked abusing animals, so maybe don't go looking if you don't want to see that.

I always assumed that line on The Simpsons "video taping this crime spree was the best idea we ever had" was referencing this video. I can't find much about it but I think their parents had to pay for all the damages. I wish I knew their names so I could see what they are up to today (probably making license plates).

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Garfield posted:

Unfortunately not, it was definitely not done in a flat cartoon style, more rendered. I think the setting was a fantasy one though. Turns out I can remember a few more things about it after all!

Actually I’d like to also find out the name of another point and click adventure as well. This one was also a fantasy one, but I think it was done in a cartoon style. What I remember from this one was that at some point there were crystal tigers, and your character exclaims “crystal tigers!”.

I played both these games with my brother, and we will still quote these lines to each other but can’t remember what games they were, so it would be neat to find out. I realise there’s very little info to go on

Kingdom: The Far Reaches - PC adventure game with crystal tigers. Looks like a loving Dragon's Lair ripoff.

You're welcome. :v:

Also, I'm fairly convinced that the tankard game is Discworld (1995), but I could be wrong... The people are very flat 2D cartoons, but the backgrounds look a little better than, say, OG Monkey Island

Teketeketeketeke fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Aug 13, 2019

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

Garfield posted:

Was it, "Get ye flask!"?

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Kharnifex posted:

Was it, "Get ye flask!"?

> DENNIS

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

Dell_Zincht posted:

Isn't this Colony Wars? It was published by Psygnosis and came on 2 discs.

EDIT - Or G-Police, also by Psygnosis and which came on 2 discs.

Nope, neither of these. The more I think about it the more I'm sure it was made my Psygnosis, but I think its a game that did so poorly that its been lost to time such that its not even on wikipedia. The backgrounds were basically lovely FMV that were definitely horrendously choppy by today's standards, and it was Starfox-like in that you were a ship flying into the screen.

e: Nvm, I found it. It was the PS1 port of Novastorm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AAqNtx1rZk

Revins fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 13, 2019

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I’m looking for an image from a photoshop friday. It’s a Lord of the Rings arcade game. It just had 3 buttons

Boil em
Mash em
Stick em in a stew

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

I’m looking for an image from a photoshop friday. It’s a Lord of the Rings arcade game. It just had 3 buttons

Boil em
Mash em
Stick em in a stew

https://www.somethingawful.com/comedy-goldmine/awful-arcade-machines/7/

This photoshop phriday is one of the first things I remember seeing on SA, which means I started lurking in 04 apparently

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

Mein Führer! I can dance!
I'll post one that I was eventually able to figure out. I was at a museum several years ago and came upon some architectural drawings from the 80's that looked just like Protoss buildings. One look and it was immediately clear that Blizzard must have borrowed the building designs to make the Protoss race in Starcraft. Afterward, I forgot his name and couldn't find any mention of any architect or design inspiration on Blizzard fan sites. For a little while I thought maybe it was sketches from Santiago Calatrava, who is also amazing if you want to peep at some cool buildings.

Finally found him: Eugene Tssui

I (eventually) found this bad photo of a postcard from the exhibit:

"House for Hugh and Ida Fraser, Oslo Norway"

If anyone could find more info on this drawing, or just a better picture, that would be cool.

Another image here: https://images.app.goo.gl/izxW3F5hQv3byHna7

I don't actually know if any Blizzard artist did use him for inspiration, I just remember seeing several of his drawings at the time and thinking they were too close in style for coincidence.

Dr Strangepants fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 13, 2019

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Dr Strangepants posted:

I'll post one that I was eventually able to figure out. I was at a museum several years ago and came upon some architectural drawings from the 80's that looked just like Protoss buildings. One look and it was immediately clear that Blizzard must have borrowed the building designs to make the Protoss race in Starcraft. Afterward, I forgot his name and couldn't find any mention of any architect or design inspiration on Blizzard fan sites. For a little while I thought maybe it was sketches from Santiago Calatrava, who is also amazing if you want to peep at some cool buildings.

If anyone could find more info on this drawing, or just a better picture, that would be cool.

I don't actually know if any Blizzard artist did use him for inspiration, I just remember seeing several of his drawings at the time and thinking they were too close in style for coincidence.

It's possible, but Starcraft started out as a Warhammer 40k game. It's not a coincidence the Eldar and Protoss are basically the same, Zerg/Tyranids, Humans/Space marines. Though it's also possible 40k took some inspiration from that architect.

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009
There is a rap song that I’m 100% sure that KRS-One was on.

Some of of the lyrics include:

“I’m not a drug rapper, I’m not a thug rapper, I’m the type of rapper to smack yo rear end and snatch your stature” (paraphrasing)
There is a lot of internal rhyming like this throughout the song.

Please help me find this.

I’ve already been to NMD identify a song for me.

No-one replied.

I did not dream this.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

It was a load bearing flask!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Unfinish3d posted:

https://www.somethingawful.com/comedy-goldmine/awful-arcade-machines/7/

This photoshop phriday is one of the first things I remember seeing on SA, which means I started lurking in 04 apparently

Oh my god. Thank you so much.

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax
I used to have a really, really old video around 20 years ago I'd gross friends and family out with an Asian woman sitting in front of a table and repeatedly vomiting into a bowl, then very slowly eating it all back up and then vomiting it back up and eating it again for half an hour.

I've looked for it a few times over the years and have never been able to find it again, but to be honest I kind of hope I don't ever see it again because it hosed me up more than Mr Hands, 2G1C and those Chinese kitten stomping videos did combined.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

there was a show that used to come on early in the morning on channel 4 in the UK in the early-mid 90s. i think it was paired with 'Once upon a time... Life', a weird show about the human body. there was one episode of it where they sang a birthday song that went like 'it's your birthday happy happy birthday'. I have spent so long looking for that stupid birthday song but it eludes me still. i think the people were in a village and doing a circle dance?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Robokomodo posted:

There is a rap song that I’m 100% sure that KRS-One was on.

Some of of the lyrics include:

“I’m not a drug rapper, I’m not a thug rapper, I’m the type of rapper to smack yo rear end and snatch your stature” (paraphrasing)
There is a lot of internal rhyming like this throughout the song.

Please help me find this.

I’ve already been to NMD identify a song for me.

No-one replied.

I did not dream this.

I am a pretty big KRS-One fan and this isn't ringing any bells. You sure it's him? I searched some of those lyrics on genius.com and got nothing with KRS-One on it. If you are convinced it is him, for the lyrics to not be on genius.com it probably means the song was a freestyle which might make it easier for you to narrow down on Youtube.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Aug 14, 2019

Lindy Hopscotch
Mar 30, 2010

You know the story about the scorpion and the frog?
There was this computer game I used to play in school in like 5th or 6th grade where you can make stage plays or something with backgrounds and characters and you can write their lines and pick a computer voice to say their lines. To test the voices each voice would say "All the Worlds a Stage". This was like back in '96 and for the life of me i cant find the loving game and maybe it never existed because any time I've tried to find it I've come up with loving nothing.

Somebody tell me this goddamn game existed in their timeline too.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Lindy Hopscotch posted:

There was this computer game I used to play in school in like 5th or 6th grade where you can make stage plays or something with backgrounds and characters and you can write their lines and pick a computer voice to say their lines. To test the voices each voice would say "All the Worlds a Stage". This was like back in '96 and for the life of me i cant find the loving game and maybe it never existed because any time I've tried to find it I've come up with loving nothing.

3D Movie Maker?

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Lindy Hopscotch posted:

I don’t remember the name but I’d swear LGR did a video about the base one, as well a the American Girl doll version.

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I am a pretty big KRS-One fan and this isn't ringing any bells. You sure it's him? I searched some of those lyrics on genius.com and got nothing with KRS-One on it. If you are convinced it is him, for the lyrics to not be on genius.com it probably means the song was a freestyle which might make it easier for you to narrow down on Youtube.

I’m positive it was KRS. At this point I’m just gonna have to relisten to his discography. I have it somewhere on a flash drive.

This song is real, unless I dreamt it. In that case I’m gonna write me a rap song.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

Lindy Hopscotch posted:

Was it Opening Night?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnqRkHhxEMc

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

juggalo baby coffin posted:

there was a show that used to come on early in the morning on channel 4 in the UK in the early-mid 90s. i think it was paired with 'Once upon a time... Life', a weird show about the human body. there was one episode of it where they sang a birthday song that went like 'it's your birthday happy happy birthday'. I have spent so long looking for that stupid birthday song but it eludes me still. i think the people were in a village and doing a circle dance?

What kind of village - modern small town Britain? Medieval? Cavemen?

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
This opening preview for the new season of Venture Bros in summer of 2008. It had incredible music , licking the barrel of a gun , and I have not been able to find it anywhere , at all , in like 10 years.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Dr Strangepants posted:

We've got a book of his at my office, Evolutionary Architecture. Sure enough, it's in there, along with the other image. There's not a lot of additional info to be had from that though - pretty much what it says on the image, and he lists it among his projects from 1986. Whether it ever got built, or whether Hugh Fraser is the quite well-known actor Hugh Fraser that makes it near impossible to search for a different Hugh Fraser on Google, who knows. Nor does it say anything about Blizzard, although if I had to guess I'd say an aspiring video game artist who did some research on organic architecture because his company wants it in the new game might easily come across Tssui.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Robokomodo posted:

I’m positive it was KRS. At this point I’m just gonna have to relisten to his discography. I have it somewhere on a flash drive.

This song is real, unless I dreamt it. In that case I’m gonna write me a rap song.

It would be pretty weird for genius.com to not have a recorded song of his; I am more than sure it's a freestyle