Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
holy poo poo Guncaster makes Alien Vendetta on UV actually-playable and not bonkers hard :stare:

e: the difficulty balance of various gameplay mods is actually really interesting to me. Guncaster is basically made to make huge numbers of trash enemies manageable, without going to Russian Overkill extremes (big enemies are still pretty threatening). Project Brutality, meanwhile, kind of goes in the polar opposite direction; big guys are less of a threat in it, due to the location-based damage, but zombiemen and imps are the bane of your existence in groups and will gently caress you up a lot.

e2: I just got the BFG equivalent in Guncaster. you know what I said about not going to Russian Overkill extremes? scratch that. :stare:

e3: yeah, this is loving absurd, my character is so big that it actively breaks indoor areas now unless I'm crouching and I get the strong impression this isn't going to wear off. in map08 of AV I can sequence break by just jumping over the loving bars (though I gather Guncaster makes this an issue regardless unless you disable jumping).

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Aug 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The Kins posted:

Night Dive did a 20th anniversary livestream of System Shock 2 with several original developers. It includes all sorts of insights, including at least one you'll probably wish you never found out.

Can you spoil it for me? Slap tags if you think it's needed.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Guillermus posted:

Can you spoil it for me? Slap tags if you think it's needed.

The textures sphincter doors in the Body of the Many are based on a dev team member's pics from a colonoscopy.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

chaosapiant posted:

What is thrash mom metal?

Something like dad rock? Idk

Anyway

1 The Demons From Adrians Pen
2 Between Levels
3 The Dave D Taylor Blues

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_LfE6gV9ok

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

The "adds option to use a rotation of quicksaves instead of having one quicksave slot that needs to be manually created" feature on GZDoom 4:20 is so good :350:

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Mystic Stylez posted:

The "adds option to use a rotation of quicksaves instead of having one quicksave slot that needs to be manually created" feature on GZDoom 4:20 is so good :350:

Having just replayed STALKER, I need this on every game. i think the CASM mod on New Vegas did something similar with rotating autosaves, I can't remember if it did on quick saves as well. I feel like it did?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

For ever game that has this option, I quicksave so often that my quicksaves are all within 15 minutes of each other. Morrowind trained my "F5" finger to be a highly efficient quick saving machine that fires off at regular intervals without me even thinking about it. If you're like me, it's still useful to make the occasional manual save in case you need to roll back more than 15 minutes of game play and/or need a save that won't eventually be overwritten.

Edit: Also good loving lord I am so in love with System Shock. I'm now 13 hours in and just creeping through each deck and clearing cameras and enemies, listening to audio logs, this game did it first and arguably did it better than anything since. I just got to the part (Deck 5 maybe? With the flight bays) where as soon as I walked in I was contacted by a real living human, having figured them all dead by now and I was like I need to find and save them! Then I left that level to clear up a bit of stuff from another level and when I came back, that character contacted me again and was like "did you even get our last message?", and that poo poo was awesome. I found I wanted to reach and save these people even though there was not "quest" directing me to do so. The game wasn't telling me I should care, it setup the stakes and I cared because of that. This game was also a metroidvania long before the term was used to describe games. It's just stunning to me how little anyone talks about the original System Shock having now played it. Hell, even the audio logs are actually very well voice acted long before voice acting was a real "thing". I am over the moon on this game and hope System Shock 2 at least carries this momentum forward. I still need to try getting through Thief as well. I played a bit last year and got to the 3rd level where there was zombies and got bored because I enjoyed sneaking around castles, not caves of undead.

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 13, 2019

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

So, are we going to have a Ion Fury thread? Anyone making it?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Turin Turambar posted:

TWO DAYS

TWOOOO DAAAAAYS

https://i.imgur.com/yTU6wxj.gifv

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

chaosapiant posted:

For ever game that has this option, I quicksave so often that my quicksaves are all within 15 minutes of each other. Morrowind trained my "F5" finger to be a highly efficient quick saving machine that fires off at regular intervals without me even thinking about it. If you're like me, it's still useful to make the occasional manual save in case you need to roll back more than 15 minutes of game play and/or need a save that won't eventually be overwritten.

Edit: Also good loving lord I am so in love with System Shock. I'm now 13 hours in and just creeping through each deck and clearing cameras and enemies, listening to audio logs, this game did it first and arguably did it better than anything since. I just got to the part (Deck 5 maybe? With the flight bays) where as soon as I walked in I was contacted by a real living human, having figured them all dead by now and I was like I need to find and save them! Then I left that level to clear up a bit of stuff from another level and when I came back, that character contacted me again and was like "did you even get our last message?", and that poo poo was awesome. I found I wanted to reach and save these people even though there was not "quest" directing me to do so. The game wasn't telling me I should care, it setup the stakes and I cared because of that. This game was also a metroidvania long before the term was used to describe games. It's just stunning to me how little anyone talks about the original System Shock having now played it. Hell, even the audio logs are actually very well voice acted long before voice acting was a real "thing". I am over the moon on this game and hope System Shock 2 at least carries this momentum forward. I still need to try getting through Thief as well. I played a bit last year and got to the 3rd level where there was zombies and got bored because I enjoyed sneaking around castles, not caves of undead.

I played SS1 for the first time a number of years ago, before Nightdive picked it up. I really liked it. You're making me want to play it again, especially since I just played Prey.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

SavageMessiah posted:

I played SS1 for the first time a number of years ago, before Nightdive picked it up. I really liked it. You're making me want to play it again, especially since I just played Prey.

You should at least see/feel how modern the game plays now, it’s fantastic!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Turin Turambar posted:

Isn't everyone who's going to play it already in this thread? Dusk and Amid Evil didn't get their own threads

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

skasion posted:

Isn't everyone who's going to play it already in this thread? Dusk and Amid Evil didn't get their own threads

Well this is awkward

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3893684

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

What those energy bars mean on Final Doomer+ (TNT kit)?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

TOOT BOOT posted:

Sometimes it's fun to think about a timeline where Romero stayed at id. What would later games have been like?

Imagine a version of Daikatana that really did make us his bitch.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

just stumbled upon a bunch of techno tracks that were somewhat related to Q3A... I think some RA map pack or something? I just lazily put them in a folder labeld "Q3" some 15 years ago or so.
Brings back a lot of memories at least.

https://www.last.fm/music/Assault+Plague:+7/_/Descent+of+an+Empire

dunno if its fixed but all the artist in "similar artists" are featured too (hayden, silent warrior, upbeat depression, james grote)

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Mystic Stylez posted:

Isn't that the BFG bar? I use the most minimal HUD so I've not seen that specifically, but that should be saying how many shots you have.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

catlord posted:

Isn't that the BFG bar? I use the most minimal HUD so I've not seen that specifically, but that should be saying how many shots you have.

Does that mean he has two big rear end shots? Two big and long ones? I like that. I'm going to think that.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

The textures sphincter doors in the Body of the Many are based on a dev team member's pics from a colonoscopy.

Dear god :gonk:

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

chaosapiant posted:

What is thrash mom metal?

Trash thrash, and mom metal. Metalica is both, obviously.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Turin Turambar posted:

Someone already made an Ion Fury thread. I posted in it and then it died. Sorry

edit:
here
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3895627

Barudak
May 7, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

Imagine a version of Daikatana that really did make us his bitch.

I dunno, I was underwater and fired the starting gun so I think Romero delivered.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Oh... mmm... ok... :stare:

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?

Mystic Stylez posted:

Those bars measure your BFG charge. Final Doomer fiddles with the BFG by having them default to their own, independent ammo count, separate from your Cells or Cell equivalent. Every time you pick up a large ammo unit (box of bullets/shells/rockets, large cell battery), you generate a little bit of BFG charge. How much charge is required for a BFG shot changes depending on which weapon set you're using; TNT's Incursion Annihilator holds, i think, like 30-40 shots at full charge because it's meant to be used as/with sustained fire (if i'm remembering correctly, which I might not be). Whereas in Ancient Aliens, a full charge bar only translates to 3 shots, because the Illuiminator is meant to clear the entire screen several times over when you fire it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You can move the bfg to another ammo, that ruins Dooms symmetry with two infinite ammo weapons, two bullet weapons, two shell weapons, two energy weapons, and... one rocket weapon.

Goddamit get it together rocket ammo.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Barudak posted:

You can move the bfg to another ammo, that ruins Dooms symmetry with two infinite ammo weapons, two bullet weapons, two shell weapons, two energy weapons, and... one rocket weapon.

Goddamit get it together rocket ammo.
Fists and berserk fists and chainsaw.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Id say that beserk fist and fist are the same weapon since you cant select one or the other, theyre flat replacements since berserk is a powerup.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
I briefly forgot that chainsaw existed and was trying to work out which two infinite weapons you were talking about.

I am very stupid.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I briefly forgot that chainsaw existed and was trying to work out which two infinite weapons you were talking about.

I am very stupid.

In the new ports of Doom for switch chainsaw seems to override fist if you have it so you cant pull out your fist without a berserk pack and once you put away your berserk fist you cant get it back so yeah its kind of like only having one infinite ammo weapon.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I didn't notice Kirk Johnson's name in the game's credits.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Ion Fury reviews are hitting:

Mordja posted:

Reviews are coming out. RPS gave it to a 20 year old who spent the whole article complaining he got lost, Destructoid gave it an 8.0, IGN a 7.5
It sounds like it doesn't quite reach the highs of DUSK and Amid Evil but is still a good entry.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

The preview campaign was far better than either Dusk or Amid Evil, so I guess we'll see for ourselves tommorow.

That RPS review was incredibly obnoxious.

Jblade fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Aug 14, 2019

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
There's a reason RPS don't do scores, and a lot of stuff in that piece sounds familiar enough that I know what sort of game I'll be getting - a good one with the usual issues.

Although I'll probably find the map key a bit quicker.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Jblade posted:

The preview campaign was far better than either Dusk or Amid Evil, so I guess we'll see for ourselves tommorow.

That RPS review was incredibly obnoxious.

Everything I've read by Matt Cox has been 100% insufferable. Tbh I only still visit the site out of momentum.

E: The Destructoid review's the best of that lot and I'm not just talking score. The reviewer also did DUSK and AE so there's a sense of continuity there.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 14, 2019

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
RPS only redeeming quality is they give a lot of no name indies so I usually just skim it to come across games I’ve never heard of and look to YouTube to give me a real rundown. I’ve always felt FPS is that hipster friend that knows all the local bands, but acts superior because they heard of the band before it was cool.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
They let DominicWhite go so the indie coverage has gotten drastically worse in the last couple of months.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EWy6gTry6g

Digital Foundry has a new neat vid for Ion Fury.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EWy6gTry6g

Digital Foundry has a new neat vid for Ion Fury.

I'm not an engine expert and that video was really nice, with tons of good info about how build works and what they did with it. It just hyped me even more for it!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

90s Cringe Rock posted:

There's a reason RPS don't do scores, and a lot of stuff in that piece sounds familiar enough that I know what sort of game I'll be getting - a good one with the usual issues.

Although I'll probably find the map key a bit quicker.

Ehhhhhhhh I dunno about trusting that RPS article on "issues"

LGR's review is non stop glowing. He says he was cautious about the full game being as good as the demo, but it was better than his hopes and expectations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
When I say issues, I mean the bit where someone who's a lazy idiot might bumble around missing the right way to go. Me.

LGR's video was great, especially the low-res section. I never was a huge Build fan, but it does look cool as hell.