Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Y'all jabbering about Katy Perry playing junior high pranks on dudes, meanwhile Trump keeps tiptoeing us into a fascist state

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49323324?fbclid=IwAR39qAVfn1WBcGj6GL37OXpZypDhLeXzpUz8NOaFGTY5CrAvH9BQbQIhjDs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
hopefully the economy will wait until my promotion next year before melting down so it'll be easier for me to support my elderly mom, who has their entire future invested in the stock market

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Slim Pickens posted:

Y'all jabbering about Katy Perry playing junior high pranks on dudes, meanwhile Trump keeps tiptoeing us into a fascist state

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49323324?fbclid=IwAR39qAVfn1WBcGj6GL37OXpZypDhLeXzpUz8NOaFGTY5CrAvH9BQbQIhjDs

While I think Ken Cuchanelli is a douche canoe like the rest of them, but this is just their run of the mill poo poo for the Admin, and ole crypt keeper Steven Miller said something similar a year ago.

I’m not sure if was posted in this thread or someplace worse, but there’s a draft EO to lock down the internet that’s making rounds that’s more full on fascism than anything.

https://www.salon.com/2019/08/12/leaked-draft-of-trump-executive-order-deemed-unconstitutional_partner/

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Slim Pickens posted:

That Article posted:

He later said the poem had referred to "people coming from Europe".
I'm sorry, as Jesus once said, "we only want white people of European descent". I think we all forget those words sometimes!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

I'm sorry, as Jesus once said, "we only want white people of European descent". I think we all forget those words sometimes!

2 Timothy 3:1-5 posted: posted:

But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God— having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with such people.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

SimonCat posted:

If a man pulled her pants off without her consent, would it be called an innocent prank?

I love how you edited the part of my post calling it sexual harassment to make this stupid loving strawman less facially idiotic.

Or do you think sexually harassing coworkers is an innocent prank?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

So the Bible does reference Obama!

It’s all the proof I need!

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/postlocal/status/1161663438969593857?s=19

https://twitter.com/EmGusk/status/1161657350069137411?s=19

I'm equally speechless at both of these things.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Jarmak posted:

No, no that's not.

It varies a lot but I can't even find a definition of indecent assault that includes "pantsing a guy"

It's bad, its definitely sexual harassment, but jesus loving christ lets have some perspective here.

If it's ok with you, the wikipedia definition of sexual assault is "Sexual assault is an act in which a person intentionally sexually touches another person without that person's consent, or coerces or physically forces a person to engage in a sexual act against their will." I would argue that if a large male like myself had forcefully exposed a young woman's vagina in public many people, possibly even you, would describe that as sexual assault. Just because the genders are reversed and Katy Perry did it does not mean it wasn't an "intentional sexual touching without the victim's consent".

Most importantly T SWIFT ARMY REPRESENT! ROAR CAN KISS MY WHITE rear end.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
The fascist playbook has already been written, we know what the Republican response to deep dicking the economy will be. The only two questions left are which out-group will be the highest profile when they need a target to redirect their base's anger away from themselves and how far they'll push to cripple democracy to stay in power during the upheaval.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Slim Pickens posted:

Trump is absolutely taking us back to the period during the 19th century when white nationalism and xenophobia were at a high water mark and the United States had virtually no relevance on the international stage.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Recycling yards usually charge to take old tube tvs now.

No idea why spam needs pumpkin spice but whatevs.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

tv dude is my hero

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

bird food bathtub posted:

The fascist playbook has already been written, we know what the Republican response to deep dicking the economy will be. The only two questions left are which out-group will be the highest profile when they need a target to redirect their base's anger away from themselves and how far they'll push to cripple democracy to stay in power during the upheaval.

"It Could Happen Here" isn't a fictional show, it's a prophecy

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

My first thought was the robot from FLCL.

Maybe it's just been on my mind lately because the Dayton shooter's twitter handle was @shadowofatomsk or something like that, which is also a FLCL reference.

:tinfoil:

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Chichevache posted:

Youre thinking of 1981, roar is the swift song. Not that it matters because lorde is still the best female artist since fever ray

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXr7lRzBE4o

put up today on YT, love seeing interviews like this

(from 1971)

Nostalgia4Butts fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Aug 14, 2019

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Stravag posted:

Youre thinking of 1981, roar is the swift song. Not that it matters because lorde is still the best female artist since fever ray

Roar is a Katy perry song

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Roar is a Katy perry song

I know the joke was theyre both interchangeable and awful

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Chichevache posted:

If it's ok with you, the wikipedia definition of sexual assault is "Sexual assault is an act in which a person intentionally sexually touches another person without that person's consent, or coerces or physically forces a person to engage in a sexual act against their will." I would argue that if a large male like myself had forcefully exposed a young woman's vagina in public many people, possibly even you, would describe that as sexual assault. Just because the genders are reversed and Katy Perry did it does not mean it wasn't an "intentional sexual touching without the victim's consent".

No, I wouldn't, because that's not sexual assault, which is on the same level as rape.

I was going by the definition provided by RAINN

quote:

What is sexual assault?
The term sexual assault refers to sexual contact or behavior that occurs without explicit consent of the victim. Some forms of sexual assault include:

Attempted rape
Fondling or unwanted sexual touching
Forcing a victim to perform sexual acts, such as oral sex or penetrating the perpetrator’s body
Penetration of the victim’s body, also known as rape

https://www.rainn.org/articles/sexual-assault

Pulling down someone's pants is not "sexual touching" as it's being used in both those definitions. Pantsing doesn't usually involve even touching the victim except by accident. We can ackowledge there's different bad things with different names that are all unacceptable.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

That's like saying that punching someone in the gut isn't assault because :actually: you touched his shirt, not him.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Stravag posted:

CRJ :colbert:

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Fister Roboto posted:

That's like saying that punching someone in the gut isn't assault because :actually: you touched his shirt, not him.

nah

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Jarmak posted:

No, I wouldn't, because that's not sexual assault, which is on the same level as rape.

Pulling down someone's pants is not "sexual touching" as it's being used in both those definitions. Pantsing doesn't usually involve even touching the victim except by accident. We can ackowledge there's different bad things with different names that are all unacceptable.

Also did you just completely miss the "behavior" part of the definition?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Fister Roboto posted:

Punching someone in the gut isn't assault in most places - it's battery.

Jarmak is right that generally speaking, sexual assault is akin to rape and pantsing someone does not meet the requirements. it does not meet the requirements for sexual battery in Florida, for example. That is not to say that it isn't a potential criminal offense, but it isn't sexual battery.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
When you guys finish can you just update a SHARP brief and pass it along to the rest of the forums? Please and thanks

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

She should have just asked and I’m sure he would have obliged. Was mean of her to then make fun of it.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

When you guys finish can you just update a SHARP brief and pass it along to the rest of the forums? Please and thanks

Would dearly have loved to hear the Q&A portion of those around 2016-17. "So, I can say grab them by the pussy right, that's not sexual harassment now? I'm just using some locker room talk."

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

bird food bathtub posted:

Would dearly have loved to hear the Q&A portion of those around 2016-17. "So, I can say grab them by the pussy right, that's not sexual harassment now? I'm just using some locker room talk."

I'm not kidding when I say that I had to, on several occasions, simply say that the UCMJ does not apply to the president, and that if you do what he says he did, you will get crushed by UCMJ and local laws and even if you're just using bullshit talk, you are in violation of army values and could get punished for harassment, hostile environment, etc.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Dunno about Canada but here in the good ol US of A she had a catchy summer tune a few years ago and then kinda disappeared.

Did she have a better go of it up there?

Typical. King Robot is just dropping his kids off all over the place.

One day he’ll become more responsible. I hope.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Thanks for the reminder to watch 'Carrier' again.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Slim Pickens posted:

"It Could Happen Here" isn't a fictional show, it's a prophecy

He also predicted a future in which leftists conduct pogroms as well.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Jarmak posted:

If I catch a probe for calling you a retard, I'll serve it with pride.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

If I catch a probe for calling you a retard, I'll serve it with pride.

You're wrong, though, because Jarmak is right. Criminal codes vary per jurisdiction, but pantsing someone is not sexual assault under any that I know of.

Now, it is potentially an offense, and potentially an offense that could carry with it sex offender registration, but it is not sexual assault or battery to pants someone regardless of gender.

For those that don't know, Jarmak is also a lawyer. He's not talking out of his rear end. We're pointing out nuances in the law and incorrect assumptions based upon lay expectations of how the law works.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

No when you punch someone in the gut you touch them through their clothes. Which is why touching his junk through his pants would be sexual assault.

I don't understand why sexual harassment/ gross invasion of privacy isn't something we can be outraged about without having to equivocate getting pants'd with an actual victim of sexual assault.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Nystral posted:

Dunno about Canada but here in the good ol US of A she had a catchy summer tune a few years ago and then kinda disappeared.

Did she have a better go of it up there?

Typical. King Robot is just dropping his kids off all over the place.

One day he’ll become more responsible. I hope.

Came here for Saga ref, can now die in peace.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Jarmak posted:

I don't understand why sexual harassment/ gross invasion of privacy isn't something we can be outraged about without having to equivocate getting pants'd with an actual victim of sexual assault.

Honestly? Because the term has a very broad definition that encompasses everything from "coworker makes awkward sex jokes around colleagues in the break room" to apparently exposing someone else's genitalia to a large group of people. So the term is pretty watered down in most people's minds given that the former situation constitutes the vast majority of examples, thus not doing a great job of portraying the seriousness of the offense. You're the lawyer here, but I've gotta believe the pantsing situation would be a slam dunk in a workplace harassment lawsuit.

psydude fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Aug 14, 2019

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Jarmak posted:

No when you punch someone in the gut you touch them through their clothes. Which is why touching his junk through his pants would be sexual assault.

Because goons are bad at nuance

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

psydude posted:

Honestly? Because the term has a very broad definition that encompasses everything from "coworker makes awkward sex jokes around colleagues in the break room" to apparently exposing someone else's genitalia to a large group of people. So the term is pretty watered down in most people's minds given that the former situation constitutes the vast majority of examples, thus not doing a great job of portraying the seriousness of the offense.

Personally I think the problem is considering the former not a big deal but the watering down effect is exactly my objection to calling this sexual assault.

I've been close to several women who have been sexual assaulted, including being the first new sex partner of a survivor of a particularly heinous date rape. It bothers me equivocating the pain and trauma of sexual assault with getting pants'd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Jarmak posted:

Personally I think the problem is considering the former not a big deal but the watering down effect is exactly my objection to calling this sexual assault.

I've been close to several women who have been sexual assaulted, including being the first new sex partner of a survivor of a particularly heinous date rape. It bothers me equivocating the pain and trauma of sexual assault with getting pants'd.

Yeah, a lot of us have some really personal connections to sexual assault and I think that's everybody's problem right now