Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
captain haggis mcnipplesworthy
Weekly reminder that COMPOUND https://store.steampowered.com/app/615120/ is still one of the best games in vr and just received a big update, now has a final level with a boss, and mutators have been released which are all pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Shoefish posted:

Weekly reminder that COMPOUND https://store.steampowered.com/app/615120/ is still one of the best games in vr and just received a big update, now has a final level with a boss, and mutators have been released which are all pretty great.

Compound is dope. I played it when it was just a little demo on itch.io way back, I’ll check out the steam demo. It’s like if the OG wolfenstein aesthetic got transported into the quake engine and then got made for VR. It’s very cool.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So I'm behind by about 900+ pages in this thread but am jumping in with a question since NMS is about to drop on PC with VR support: I have an Oculus touch. What is the best rechargeable battery method I could get for those controllers? Should I get a few Ni-MH double As and a base charger and just swap them out as I go?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

chaosapiant posted:

So I'm behind by about 900+ pages in this thread but am jumping in with a question since NMS is about to drop on PC with VR support: I have an Oculus touch. What is the best rechargeable battery method I could get for those controllers? Should I get a few Ni-MH double As and a base charger and just swap them out as I go?

Get some NiMH batteries, swap em out in 20 seconds and be ready for more action.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I've been meaning to play more Compound for a while, love the demo. Might have to give it a shot when I get VR back up and running for NMS this weekend.

the NMS patch notes are insane btw. it's sounding closer to Star Citizen than Star Citizen will ever be. You can hunt animals gather crops and make bespoke recipes that have unique effects!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The Walrus posted:

the NMS patch notes are insane btw. it's sounding closer to Star Citizen than Star Citizen will ever be. You can hunt animals gather crops and make bespoke recipes that have unique effects!

Exactly. Elite Dangerous has been my go-to VR app, and the reason I bought an Oculus to begin with. And now NMS may replace Elite as my go to VR game. I'm excited to get home tonight and try it out.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I've just installed SideQuest and ALVR and playing Beat Saber with custom tracks and SteamVR games like Skyrim with no wires or sensors in the biggest room in the house is so sweet.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Model 3 Door Handles not flush; is this normal?

I picked up my new Model 3 two weeks ago and just noticed how uneven almost all of the door handles are (barring 1 door that is perfectly flush and seated).
One handle is heavily recessed in (with one side being deeper than the other), another is actually sticking out (evenly), and the third one is sticking out but unevenly (the thumb section is belting outwards).

Can someone also confirm if this is the case for their Model 3? If it was just 1 or 2 then I would simply ask Tesla Service to adjust them. The fact that 3 of them aren’t flush and are all seated different (in, out, or partially in, out) makes me believe that this just might be normal?

I don’t want to be that guy that asks service to adjust a bunch of stuff because I’m being nit-picky, but I personally can’t unsee it now that I noticed.

Has anyone gotten something like this serviced before? Was it an easy fix for them or did they have to take apart your door? If it’s an easy fix then I would just go ahead and be that guy, but if they have to take apart the door and possibly introduce other issues then I’ll just have to live with it.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I picked up my new Model 3 two weeks ago and just noticed how uneven almost all of the door handles are (barring 1 door that is perfectly flush and seated).
One handle is heavily recessed in (with one side being deeper than the other), another is actually sticking out (evenly), and the third one is sticking out but unevenly (the thumb section is belting outwards).

Can someone also confirm if this is the case for their Model 3? If it was just 1 or 2 then I would simply ask Tesla Service to adjust them. The fact that 3 of them aren’t flush and are all seated different (in, out, or partially in, out) makes me believe that this just might be normal?

I don’t want to be that guy that asks service to adjust a bunch of stuff because I’m being nit-picky, but I personally can’t unsee it now that I noticed.

Has anyone gotten something like this serviced before? Was it an easy fix for them or did they have to take apart your door? If it’s an easy fix then I would just go ahead and be that guy, but if they have to take apart the door and possibly introduce other issues then I’ll just have to live with it.

Try running boundary setup again from Tesla vr home settings

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Is there a tesla VR simulator?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ah gently caress sorry wrong thread!

anyways what about that No Man’s sky, huh???

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Stick100 posted:

Don't have much to say yet, but my plan is to target Quest/Focus Plus/SteamVR+Viveport like my other game Home Plate Baseball. I probably will never be able to get into the Oculus store front but I might make a demo on Sidequest and sell it myself on Itch.Io.

My first VR game (Home Plate Baseball) will probably make something like $2000 in lifetime revenue after several years so I'm not really in it for the money.

Ok cool. Sounds like a bonus that you can pitch to both the PC and stand-alone markets now at least. Good luck with it!

Parallelwoody posted:

Out of curiosity, did anyone use their two sensor set up with one in front and one behind? I was playing that way for about a year or so before I upgraded to a third sensor just for the hell of it. I rarely noticed any tracking issues beforehand though, just some edge cases.

Yeah has been super robust for me. I get very occasional issues which I assume are related to not having complete coverage (like hand losing minor tracking accuracy when I'm hunched over something, presumably blocking off both sensors?)

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Aug 14, 2019

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

You bought a Tesla and didn't expect horrible quality control issues?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Big surprise a boutique sports car company can't mass produce.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

The Walrus posted:

Fundamentally NMS is just another survival/crafting sim. It's a pretty one with a decent amount of content after this many years, but it's still one of those with all the weird bugs, idiosyncrasies and repetitiveness that implies. It's absolutely something you can have fun with and I'm sure VR will add a lot but you'll get the most out of it if you go in with moderated expectations.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

NRVNQSR posted:

Fundamentally NMS is just another survival/crafting sim. It's a pretty one with a decent amount of content after this many years, but it's still one of those with all the weird bugs, idiosyncrasies and repetitiveness that implies. It's absolutely something you can have fun with and I'm sure VR will add a lot but you'll get the most out of it if you go in with moderated expectations.

Definitely this. That being said, the new patch notes do sound very interesting. I wasn't tooo far in the main game so I might just start again.

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Huh...? Oh, this? Nah, don't worry. Just in the middle of some messy business.
How would you guys recommend getting used to the motion sickness associated with free motion? I'd like to get more into multiplayer shooters and that seems to be a barrier to me.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

NRVNQSR posted:

Unlike some other games, NMS does a good job of always giving you something new to do. I just wish there were better storage options. You get these giant storage containers that only hold five things each.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

Unlike some other games, NMS does a good job of always giving you something new to do. I just wish there were better storage options. You get these giant storage containers that only hold five things each.

Update fixed this. Most storage is now near limitless

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Did the nms vr update drop yet? I'm interested in hearing impressions before I buy it.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

It's out but it's currently crashing to desktop when I try to play on the Oculus.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Parallelwoody posted:

Did the nms vr update drop yet? I'm interested in hearing impressions before I buy it.

Ditto. Is there any info on the movement systems for VR? Is it just teleporting everywhere, using the sticks, or what?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Here’s a guy playing it on PSVR. Only watched a few minutes, but it looks neat.

https://youtu.be/pEqS825XLZ0

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Brightman posted:

Ditto. Is there any info on the movement systems for VR? Is it just teleporting everywhere, using the sticks, or what?

I supports teleport stick loco and running on the spot I think. You can change them in options.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I haven't bought NMS yet, waiting to hear back on if it's any good in VR, so please chime in, especially if you're running it on lower end hardware

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Professor Wayne posted:

Here’s a guy playing it on PSVR. Only watched a few minutes, but it looks neat.

https://youtu.be/pEqS825XLZ0

Cool, looks like smooth motion and teleporting are options so that's good.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

The game's behaving extremely poorly on the Rift with a 1070 and 6600k. Loads of juttering even on the lowest possible settings.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
I have played NMS VR for about 30 minutes so far. Top of the line PC with a Valve Index. Controls for everything takes some getting use too. To equip multitool, I need to raise up my right hand near head and squeeze grip. To use visor, I need to raise left hand near head and squeeze grip. To access inventories, I need to use right hand and point at left wrist and squeeze trigger. Inventory looks similar to prepatch, but mechanics are slightly different when doing things. To scan planet for resources, I use left hand and point at back of right hand (with multitool in it) and squeeze left trigger.

To access dropped cargo, I squeeze right grip and pull back.

To get in ship, I can either jump into it, or squeeze right grip and pull back. To leave cockpit, I hover hand over a handle to my far right, squeeze grip and lift up.

So things like that takes some getting use to, but I like the immersion in that sense.

What sucks though is piloting. At least with a new starship, responsiveness is so drat slow it's frustrating. I might load up my old save with a fully upgraded ship to see if it's any better. I know upgrades are used for better piloting, but this is pretty frustrating for a basic starship. To launch starship, I squeeze left grip on the left throttle and push forward. Push forward or backward to accelerate or decelerate while in air/space. Squeeze right grip on right joystick to pilot.

The game over all plays smoothly, and I'm liking it a lot, except for piloting.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
How much flying do you do in NMS? Would it be worth the trouble to use my cockpit/HOTAS for flight and my open space for everything else, or do you figure flying isn't involved enough to bother with the fancy stuff?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

There's a lot of flying, but it isn't really a sim like that, I don't think it would benefit from a hotas

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
Where did multiplayer in NMS land? It's been a long while but I know there was some basic multiplayer functionality quite a while back but I didn't keep track.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

I have an HTC Vive Pro and I'm debating the index controllers. They'll work together, right? Is it a worthwhile upgrade? Do enough games support the index controls, or am I safer sticking with what I've got?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Shine posted:

How much flying do you do in NMS? Would it be worth the trouble to use my cockpit/HOTAS for flight and my open space for everything else, or do you figure flying isn't involved enough to bother with the fancy stuff?

You'd be very frustrated using a HOTAS with this game. It's the most basic of flying controls and if you have a Xbox 360 controller or equivalent, I think that's by far the best way to play.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

DisposableHero posted:

Where did multiplayer in NMS land? It's been a long while but I know there was some basic multiplayer functionality quite a while back but I didn't keep track.

I've not played in a while but I think you can just team with friends and get teleported to wherever they are these days? There used to be some horrifically arcane system of collecting twenty runes to unlock stargates and entering galactic coordinates into them, but as far as I can tell that's all redundant now.

You might need to finish the first system solo first before you can do that?

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Hadlock posted:

I haven't bought NMS yet, waiting to hear back on if it's any good in VR, so please chime in, especially if you're running it on lower end hardware

I have an RX 580 and i5 4570. Will let you know later tonight.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Did NMS fix the lack of building variety where every building was one of 10-20 different buildings everywhere you went? That was my biggest complaint was the re-use of content everywhere. Yeah things were cool at first but you quickly realized the breadth of content was extremely lacking, there were unlimited planets that all looked like 1 of a small set.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Shipped back my Index on the last possible day, repacking it was a PITA, there are 100 parts.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

RandomBlue posted:

Did NMS fix the lack of building variety where every building was one of 10-20 different buildings everywhere you went? That was my biggest complaint was the re-use of content everywhere. Yeah things were cool at first but you quickly realized the breadth of content was extremely lacking, there were unlimited planets that all looked like 1 of a small set.
From what little I've seen, buildings are still the same. Space stations are the same, except some NPCs walk.

The only big changes in the game are more ease of getting into multiplayer groups and VR implementation. Everything else feels somewhat the same. Building bases requires power management which people are complaining about, but everything else is fundamentally the same.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

What was the 'third big thing' they were adding after VR and multiplayer? Or is it still to come?

Chadzok fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Aug 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Chadzok posted:

What was the 'third big thing' they were adding after VR and multiplayer? Or is it still to come?

It was just all the other new stuff like riding animals and farming and cooking, not one big thing