Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

The White Dragon posted:

big top is hands down the worst of the original trilogy but it's better than anything in AA4 at least

You apologize to Trucy this instant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Regalingualius posted:

4-1 is legitimately one of the best first cases of the franchise, though. It’s not blatantly obvious who the real killer is as soon as you lay eyes on them, it’s not hilariously short, but it also doesn’t overstay it’s welcome like 6-1, for example.

i'll give you that, the intro case in 4-1 is pretty good. but the rest, hoo boy

and yeah payne makes 6-1 drag like hell. what the series needs is another crazy long play like pretty much the last half 3 was, when you finally get the payoff from DL-6 hanging over you since 1-2. everything since 4 wraps up cleanly by the end of the game except maybe apollo's backstory but even that's so wild and spotty that you can't really relate to it yknow? but it also means you don't get a narrative investment that stretches over literal years of real world time, which is probably why i feel so strongly about the quality of the original trilogy.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Aug 14, 2019

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

4-2 is good

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

4 is better than 2, full stop

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The White Dragon posted:

i'll give you that, the intro case in 4-1 is pretty good. but the rest, hoo boy

and yeah payne makes 6-1 drag like hell. what the series needs is another crazy long play like pretty much the last half 3 was, when you finally get the payoff from DL-6 hanging over you since 1-2. everything since 4 wraps up cleanly by the end of the game except maybe apollo's backstory but even that's so wild and spotty that you can't really relate to it yknow? but it also means you don't get a narrative investment that stretches over literal years of real world time, which is probably why i feel so strongly about the quality of the original trilogy.

I would like if the series stepped back from the crazy world-changing stakes of 5 and 6 and tried to return to more personal stories.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
2-1 is bland and boring, 2-2 is mostly pretty okay, 2-3 is abysmal and 2-4 is one of the best cases.

4-1 is amazing, 4-2 is pretty , 4-3 is a garbage fire and 4-4 starts really strong and then it just sorta gives up midway through.

Plus Objection 2007 alone is better than anything in JfA. :colbert:

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Dragonatrix posted:

Plus Objection 2007 alone is better than anything in JfA. :colbert:

With you on this, I love the piano version from Dual Destinies too

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

eating only apples posted:

With you on this, I love the piano version from Dual Destinies too

The piano version works so well for Apollo in his new role as a quasi-mentor

cergos
Apr 23, 2019

The hush of the night sky is the silence of a graveyard.
1-5 is very underrated imo

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

cergos posted:

1-5 is very underrated imo

Underrated? For a long time it seemed to be widely considered the best in the series. It's only in the last couple of years that I've seen any significant criticism of it.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

I must be weird because I thought 4-1 was a really bad first case. Sure it fits nicely in the overall plot, but it leaves you super confused and unsatisfied about its resolution, I can't see it helping players who are playing an Ace Attorney game for the first time get hooked.
I feel 3-1, 5-1 and 6-1 do a much better job as first cases while connecting to the overall plot at the same time, they leave unsolved mysteries but still present a self-contained case you can fully grasp and solve in a satisfying way.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I hate 1-5. It's way too long, I have to watch the Blue Badger like 2390230932 times, Meekins is annoying, you have Ema who is strictly inferior to Maya, and the goddamned urn/Blue Badger puzzle is so goddamned touchy.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I'm kinda annoyed that Lana Skye just disappears from the story entirely. I'd have at least liked her to appear in AAI.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ema rules

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Petiso posted:

I must be weird because I thought 4-1 was a really bad first case. Sure it fits nicely in the overall plot, but it leaves you super confused and unsatisfied about its resolution, I can't see it helping players who are playing an Ace Attorney game for the first time get hooked.
I feel 3-1, 5-1 and 6-1 do a much better job as first cases while connecting to the overall plot at the same time, they leave unsolved mysteries but still present a self-contained case you can fully grasp and solve in a satisfying way.

Hi I played Apollo Justice as my first game and 4-1 is still one of my favorites in the series

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Arist posted:

Ema rules

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

What has Ema ever done that was good?

She's annoying and Not Maya in the one case where she's your assistant. In all subsequent cases that she appears you have to break her on the stand where it turns out she's actually really lovely at her job. And is also kinda mean to Apollo.

Bad assistant relative to Maya.
Bad investigator relative to Gumshoe who put his job on the line in 1-5 to help you. Maya doesn't do that in 6; she just kinda feels sad while still working with Nahyuta.

e: I mean, she's not "any Gramarye that's not Trucy" bad. But I don't understand why people like her when there are other characters who've been in her role and are absolutely better imo

cergos
Apr 23, 2019

The hush of the night sky is the silence of a graveyard.

FairGame posted:

I hate 1-5. It's way too long, I have to watch the Blue Badger like 2390230932 times, Meekins is annoying, you have Ema who is strictly inferior to Maya, and the goddamned urn/Blue Badger puzzle is so goddamned touchy.

Not to mention the fingerprinting part where you were physically required to “blow” off the powder

It was really annoying to get all the powered completely off, not to mention it made ports of the case difficult when the device didn’t have a microphone(aka a pc)

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

I'm kinda annoyed that Lana Skye just disappears from the story entirely. I'd have at least liked her to appear in AAI.
I presume she's just in prison for doing crimes a bunch of crimes? I think there's a limit to how many peripheral legacy characters they can put in the new games.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Ema's not annoying at all in 1-5, she's good in the AAI case she appears in, and she's no less poo poo at her job than Gumshoe. If you compare every assistant to Maya, they're always coming off lacking because she's such fun and is the longest serving one.

And everyone's mean to Apollo, that's kind of his thing right

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Justice for gumshoe

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

While I like 1-5 in general I would have to say it has some of the most obscure and frustrating moments to advance the plot forward. I think it was around the time you talk to Angel after the first day trial and you had to present evidence in a specific manner and only *then* can you talk about the SL-9 Incident.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

ema is great and i hope she shows up in the next game

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Merilan posted:

While I like 1-5 in general I would have to say it has some of the most obscure and frustrating moments to advance the plot forward. I think it was around the time you talk to Angel after the first day trial and you had to present evidence in a specific manner and only *then* can you talk about the SL-9 Incident.

Yeah 1-5 is really good but it's not just long as gently caress, it's sometimes really annoying and very clearly was written after the main trilogy.

I think my top three are 1-4, 3-5, and 4-1.

5-5 comes really close though, that was really good. Made me feel like I did playing 1-4. Can't remember when else these games have given me such a shock realisation, apart from 3-5.

I'll defend 4-1 to the death. Easily the best tutorial case, not that that's a hard win, and it stands out for me as a real turning point. The rest of the game tried hard but couldn't live up to it, but at least it tried.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I hope that Gumshoe comes back as Ema’s boss but I also hope Ema comes back too

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

The third case of Investigations 1 is not terrible, but it's probably hands down one of the most dull cases in the series. Aside from meeting Kay and Lang, everything else is incredibly uninteresting and unmemorable, which is saying something considering both Ema and Meekins show up in that one. (Also Oldbag, bleh) It's probably the only time I broke down and said "OH MY GOD I DO NOT CARE" at the main plot of a case as it slowly unfolded. I just could not bring myself to give a poo poo.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

2-4 is up there for me. Doesn't completely redeem the rest of the game, but it's a satisfying conclusion to the Franziska story and the gimmick of defending a client you know is guilty really makes it interesting

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

As much as I love Edgeworth...I can't get into AAI2 like we all know they're guilty and it's a process of elimination via sarcasm.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

RandomFerret posted:

2-4 is up there for me. Doesn't completely redeem the rest of the game, but it's a satisfying conclusion to the Franziska story and the gimmick of defending a client you know is guilty really makes it interesting

Yeah they never did that again as far as I know (haven't finished SOJ but at this point who cares), it made for a really exciting case but I know people who hated it for that. I really liked it, it's obviously not my fave last case but it's not far off.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

To this day I still feel like 2-4 would make a stronger conclusion to the trilogy, like it feels like it's a better bookend for both Phoenix and Edgeworth's arcs in the first three games

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Kissing on the mouth actually

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Pick posted:

Kissing on the mouth actually

that too

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Merilan posted:

To this day I still feel like 2-4 would make a stronger conclusion to the trilogy, like it feels like it's a better bookend for both Phoenix and Edgeworth's arcs in the first three games

This is true but it then leaves open von Karma's, which AA3 closes. Given Franziska was hastily thrown in to save face for Edgeworth I feel it's only fair to give her more character development than "u kild my dad"

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Apollo Justice has the best music in the franchise

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Tesseraction posted:

This is true but it then leaves open von Karma's, which AA3 closes. Given Franziska was hastily thrown in to save face for Edgeworth I feel it's only fair to give her more character development than "u kild my dad"

Oh yeah, I'm not saying just flip the cases between the games, you'd have to revamp some things to make it work.

I think the AAI games do more for Franziska than AA3 itself, though.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Merilan posted:

Oh yeah, I'm not saying just flip the cases between the games, you'd have to revamp some things to make it work.

I think the AAI games do more for Franziska than AA3 itself, though.

Oh so she will appear in AAI2?

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Tesseraction posted:

Oh so she will appear in AAI2?

Ah sorry, I forgot that you were going through them! But yeah.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Nah it's cool, as long as you don't tell me who the killer is I don't mind knowing that someone will appear in a game.

Speaking of AAI2: Case 3 after the initial suspect is cleared and the second is potentially off the hook I've just been asked who could have stolen the Megatoxin X and I'm assuming it's Katherine, presumably as revenge for what happened 18 years ago? This is the first case in a while where I haven't immediately had a gut feeling as to who the killer was, since the warden in the last case looked suspicious as gently caress because of the big coat (although it was cute when she admitted defeat and they turned out to all be lil' fuzzies :3:). I suppose Gustavia might have been the murderer but I'm just entirely unsure what's going on - which is obviously the sign of a good mystery.

That said, normallium and fatallium really feels phoned in as chemical names. I have a feeling the original Japanese names were likewise very obvious-as-to-what-they-are but I suspect the language makes it easier to make a decent play on words.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Ema is actually the series' most competent detective by far. All her findings are correct, and she usually tells you on day 1 that she found something weird that doesn't add up, which ends up breaking the case in the end. When she does get in your way it's invariably the fault of the garbage-tier prosecutor with whom she's working the case. I'm not sure how she'd work with a prosecutor that isn't garbage; they paired her with Edgeworth in 6-6, and that case was quite clearly written as if Gumshoe were investigating it.

I'm still not sure how I feel about AAI2. It had some really strong character moments and a satisfying arc for Edgeworth, but the cases themselves were uniquely stupid and convoluted and it never felt all that satisfying to unravel them.

E: Funny you should mention that, Normallium and Fatallium were exactly the moment I gave up on enjoying the casework of that game. If you're still hooked I think you should be home safe. :)

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Aug 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think the lack of the proper courtroom segments just kills the pacing of the Investigations games for me. I never feel any sense of progress through their cases and it just makes both games feel like kind of a slog to me.

I still want to finish AAI2 some day for completion's sake but man that just makes it not fun to actually play. I think the only reason I got through AAI1 is because I got it when it was new so there was still novelty to the idea of seeing Edgeworth again after his absence in AA4- if I was playing it for the first time nowadays I'm not sure I could have gotten through it either.