Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Agean90 posted:

Spying in the middle East and central asia by pretending to be doctors is older than the us, its surprising doctors aren't harassed more often

*steeples fingers* it appears that no such conspiracy exists with regards to Doctors Without Borders...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Lots of people just can't deal with their favs being implicated :/

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Perry Mason Jar posted:

It's certainly impossible to do to (and possibly at) a certain scale.

Like I can become rich insofar as making six figures and maintain empathy/humanity, but if I become richer than that I lost it along the path (i.e., I would not arrive at billionaire status without already having lost empathy - mostly). Becoming is not necessary to being wealthy, you can simple be rich, as is the case with inherited wealth which represents the vast majority of the bourgeoisie. If you do become rich without inheritance it can still be done without exploitation of others -- you win the lotto, sign a record/sport deal, etc. Those two classes of people don't suffer from the inherently dehumanizing exploitation of others per se (false consciousness figures here, too) but are nonetheless susceptible to the dehumanizing effect of wealth itself but, again, this is a likelihood not a guarantee.

You can win the lottery or land an inheritance but to sustain it is innately to feast while those around you starve. Or not even feast, hoard the food away and snatch more out of others' hands so you may add to your untouched pile. Even at six figures you're going to have people in your life who you joke with, enjoy the company of, who help you with everyday tasks who struggle to make it from day to day for want of money that would mean essentially nothing to you, and you're not helping them. Why aren't you helping them?

The first world is built around keeping the exploiter a few degrees removed from the exploited - you know all your cheap clothes are made possible by brutality in Bangladesh, but you don't actually know any Bangladeshis and the mechanism by which you'd do anything about it is totally opaque so this idea manifests at best as a vague sense of Catholic guilt in the back of your head as you sort through the shirts at Kohl's - and so indifference to wars, 'tough on crime' etc. etc. The moral equation for the rich is a bit different - it is impossible to know only rich people, to not directly face at least a few of those you've robbed of their lives and aspirations so your number can go up, and you have a tremendous degree of agency here. Being able to smirk and tell the guy whose untreated Stage 4 cancer bought new leather seats on your yacht about the value of a hard day's work and sleep soundly that night is what differentiates the wealthy from the not; revelling in it is what differentiates the mediocre wealthy from the superrich.

A Wizard of Goatse has issued a correction as of 19:55 on Aug 14, 2019

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Hatebag posted:

A guy at work butted into a conversation I was having with another coworker about epstein poo poo to yell at us that we were far right Russia bots spreading lies about clinton.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Lol this CNN lady is fully cracked, pinged

https://twitter.com/AshaRangappa_/status/1161684100744433664?s=19

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Hatebag posted:

It's actually really wonderful being told, authoritatively, that they were never actually my faves at all

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Mr Hootington posted:

A guy at work butted into a conversation I was having with another coworker about epstein poo poo to yell at us that we were far right Russia bots spreading lies about clinton.

Lmao that rules.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Lol. Lie detectors. Let's measure their thetans too.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

THS
Sep 15, 2017

pozzing people who test negative for epstein brain

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Mr Hootington posted:

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

Dehumanize yourself and face to epstein

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
my takeaway from Dazed and Confused is the McConaughey played the good guy

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I love it when people bring up Occam's razor to say that Epstein commited suicide because of prison conditions or whatever. Nearly every time you hear that phrase it's to argue for some basic bitch idiot position.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

haha same buddy same too much stress am i right?

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

prince andrew suffering from pedo withdrawal after the death of epstein. poor dude

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

ikanreed posted:

Lol. Lie detectors. Let's measure their thetans too.

Faith in institutions and technology aside, it's funny that a face on CNN is a full on cabal theorist

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

You can win the lottery or land an inheritance but to sustain it is innately to feast while those around you starve. Or not even feast, hoard the food away and snatch more out of others' hands so you may add to your untouched pile. Even at six figures you're going to have people in your life who you joke with, enjoy the company of, who help you with everyday tasks who struggle to make it from day to day for want of money that would mean essentially nothing to you, and you're not helping them. Why aren't you helping them?

You can feed it back onto itself to perpetuate altruism. For example, I make $55K (NYC metro). This is far more money than I need to sustain myself. So every month I check my money and figure out how much of it I can give away and end up giving away a few hundred a month. Why then would I not only want to continue earning this much but in fact earn more? So it can be several hundred dollars a month instead. Further, it allows me enough to sustain myself and have enough to absorb any unexpected expenses. This month there was a car repair that cost over a thousand dollars and my parents needed a large loan (below a thousand, though). I'm able to satisfy both costs and stay on track to continue giving money away. I used to make $27K and I assure you I have more capacity for good than then (I was working at a homeless shelter then and kept bitching about having no actual power to help them beyond, like, being nice to them in a lovely situation; now I actually have the power to prevent homelessness and have actually done that very thing, as one example). If you earn a million dollars a year and sustain yourself with $30-50K (region dependent) while giving the rest away, and none of that money is earned through exploitation, yes you'll be just fine.

It's absolutely a tightrope act though. I really hate money, I don't want for it at all, and I'd live a perfectly happy life making just enough to sustain myself (including small luxuries, which are necessary to normal function) but I'd only go that route knowing others can sustain themselves. I would never exploit anyone to supposedly altruistic ends though, don't fall for that lie.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Prince Andrew couldn't find anyone in the UK to give him massages post Epstein and now the stress is too much to bear.

Actual royalty problems.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Darkman Fanpage posted:

haha same buddy same too much stress am i right?

Well his stress relief massages have been cut off.

^^^^^
:arghfist:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

It is a shame watching all those billionaires pan handle for children since the epstein was shut down.

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

My favourite way to explain this is the average american salary is $31k. If you imagine going to a buffet where they distribute food in the same way wealth is distributed in America, and $31k represents 1 plate, there are 150 million people sitting there without a single plateful while Jeff Bezos has like 3.5 million plates of food.

Even a mere 1x billionaire has 32,000 plates of food.

Like fair enough if someone has worked really loving hard saving kittens and building orphanages maybe they deserve 3 or maybe even 4 plates of food, but 3.5 million? lmao.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Rated PG-34 posted:

prince andrew suffering from pedo withdrawal after the death of epstein. poor dude

tfw your connect gets suicided 😔

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

RobattoJesus posted:

My favourite way to explain this is the average american salary is $31k. If you imagine going to a buffet where they distribute food in the same way wealth is distributed in America, and $31k represents 1 plate, there are 150 million people sitting there without a single plateful while Jeff Bezos has like 3.5 million plates of food.

Even a mere 1x billionaire has 32,000 plates of food.

Like fair enough if someone has worked really loving hard saving kittens and building orphanages maybe they deserve 3 or maybe even 4 plates of food, but 3.5 million? lmao.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hphgHi6FD8k&t=25s

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Just another public figure taking time off to spend with his children

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.
Prince Andrew gonna come out and say he chooses to 'live as a gay man now' before disappearing onto his rape submarine

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

inferis posted:

the olsen twins before that. there were loving countdown threads on this forum at one point

Bigpeeler was an intensely gross individual, yes.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Perry Mason Jar posted:

You can feed it back onto itself to perpetuate altruism. For example, I make $55K (NYC metro). This is far more money than I need to sustain myself. So every month I check my money and figure out how much of it I can give away and end up giving away a few hundred a month. Why then would I not only want to continue earning this much but in fact earn more? So it can be several hundred dollars a month instead. Further, it allows me enough to sustain myself and have enough to absorb any unexpected expenses. This month there was a car repair that cost over a thousand dollars and my parents needed a large loan (below a thousand, though). I'm able to satisfy both costs and stay on track to continue giving money away. I used to make $27K and I assure you I have more capacity for good than then (I was working at a homeless shelter then and kept bitching about having no actual power to help them beyond, like, being nice to them in a lovely situation; now I actually have the power to prevent homelessness and have actually done that very thing, as one example). If you earn a million dollars a year and sustain yourself with $30-50K (region dependent) while giving the rest away, and none of that money is earned through exploitation, yes you'll be just fine.

It's absolutely a tightrope act though. I really hate money, I don't want for it at all, and I'd live a perfectly happy life making just enough to sustain myself (including small luxuries, which are necessary to normal function) but I'd only go that route knowing others can sustain themselves. I would never exploit anyone to supposedly altruistic ends though, don't fall for that lie.

Yeah this makes sense at the scale where you're basically hovering around the median income, and simply living as a generous ordinary person. It's even workable at two or three ordinary incomes, with some difficulty. This Robin Hood formulation breaks down anywhere meaningfully above that, though; you don't see people making a million dollars a year living like a part-time cook and giving the rest away to charity, because being in a position to make a million dollars a year requires schmoozing with the other millionaires and keeping up with the Joneses, and outside Powerball windfalls there is no way to personally make a million dollars a year that doesn't involve doing more harm than any person can undo with a million dollars. What you're proposing in practice isn't much different from quitting the homeless shelter where you had no power to help the homeless beyond being nice to them, to work for ICE because maybe you can be nice to the detainees.

A Wizard of Goatse has issued a correction as of 20:12 on Aug 14, 2019

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

i want more information about the intelligence angle in all this. feels right to say the CIA and/or mossad were maybe extorting VIPs and dumping the profits in some off the books slush fund. given the number of foreign nationals involved there's obviously old fashioned spy work at play too.

i saw someone on twitter (i know) mention this thing about epstein being involved in insider trading in the 90s, coupled with the suspicious 9/11 put options made on the chicago exchange - where some of his co-conspirators were based in 2000 - 2001. i poated about some pages back for the laughs but now idk whats up or down. but it may be one rabbit hole too many for me to dive into. i don't think my brain can take that level of crack ping

gh0stpinballa has issued a correction as of 20:11 on Aug 14, 2019

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

sometimes i call for telling officials to exit public life

but this doesn't feel enough

maybe its because he's a pedophile who got away with it

so sorry that you're having some :qq: personal stress :qq: from the trauma of raping minors, you human shitpile

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
https://twitter.com/k1llurboss/status/1161714981135458304?s=19

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

guys that Prince Andrew tweet is a gag

edit and not in the way he would like

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Yeah this makes sense at the scale where you're basically hovering around the median income, and simply living as a generous ordinary person. This Robin Hood formulation breaks down anywhere meaningfully above that, though; you don't see people making a million dollars a year living like a part-time cook and giving the rest away to charity, because being in a position to make a million dollars a year requires schmoozing with the other millionaires and keeping up with the Joneses, and outside of one-off windfalls there is no way to personally make a million dollars a year that doesn't involve doing more harm than you can undo with your million dollars a year. What you're proposing in practice isn't much different from quitting the homeless shelter where you had no power to help the homeless beyond being nice to them, to work for ICE because maybe you can be nice to the detainees.

It's possible mang. As an example I quote Notorious B.I.G.: "I'm blowin' up like you thought I would / Call the crib, same number same hood / It's all good"

drat they killed him though

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

mdemone posted:

guys that Prince Andrew tweet is a gag

edit and not in the way he would like

everything is beyond parody so it might as well be true

people still fact checking and trying to separate what is now inseparable in the post escalator era :sad:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Hell yeah

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

uhhhhhhhhhhh in case anyone thought this wasn't real

https://goo.gl/maps/Pt6Fo8sy5TiA1RwJ9

piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lord of Pie posted:

Just another public figure taking time off to spend with his children

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
"Prince Andrew is keeping busy in retirement with a new regal fashion line that's affordable even to the hoi polloi. The prince is working closely with modeling magnate Jean Luc Brunel on a globetrotting circuit of fashion shows in Paris, Bangkok, Sarajevo, and Tel Aviv."

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

pancake rabbit posted:

uhhhhhhhhhhh in case anyone thought this wasn't real

https://goo.gl/maps/Pt6Fo8sy5TiA1RwJ9

piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing

well. gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

The_Rob posted:

I mean if you wanna get into it there’s no way Spears wasn’t put into an abusive world at a young age, and remember when she was having a mental breakdown and the media was just laughing at her and almost egging her on. wouldn’t you know it. it all seemed to stop once she accepted the Vegas residency. not to mention her sister allegedly getting knocked up by Dan Schneider.

i'm a bunch of pages behind so someone might have covered this but Spears dad basically keeps her locked in a mental health hospital or whatever and only lets her out to do these shows and basically has total control over her due to some hosed up laws. i only half remember this and cba reading the article to check i'm correct though

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/freebritney-britney-spears-legal-829246/