Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Average Bear posted:

you could make them run like not poo poo!!

Doubt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

ilitarist posted:

And if someone actually finds a way to not engage in any risky activity, stay small and still be competitive then I hope it's patched out ASAP.

No this should be allowed, but only in the HRE. If you get annexed, it kicks out out to a minigame where you endlessly petition the Emperor to go restore your holdings.

Honestly I would love to see Paradox take a crack at this, the mod method of having to do it through a sea of provincial modifiers has to be the worst possible way it could be done. I'm no expert on optimization problems, but running A* back to capital provinces once every year or so doesn't seem like a massive drag compared to everything else that's already going on.

e: actually I guess since you want to assign a path distance to each province in your empire A* probably isn't what you want, you could just propagate it out from the capital, but still.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Aug 13, 2019

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Beamed posted:

The good news is EU4, unlike professional chess, is explicitly not designed to be competitive (or indeed, even balanced, with respect to multiple players). I think countries playing extremely differently is very good and fun!

Countries playing extremely differently and making risk-free play as rewarding as risky play are very different things.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

ilitarist posted:

Countries playing extremely differently and making risk-free play as rewarding as risky play are very different things.

Playing tall is a challenge in this game, not a strategy. It can be interesting to try to stay competitive, in a game where if you're playing wide, you usually end up as the #1 world great power by 1650 at the latest. Especially after playing hundreds of hours.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Indeed, and it should be that way.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Sounds like, since playing tall is risky, we’re in accord paradox should keep making efforts to keep it viable. Had to take the long way there I guess.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Average Bear posted:

Yeah, the system just works fantastically with the existing mechanics. In vanilla, corruption and autonomy are basically bandaid fixes to expanding too fast. In MEIOU, they actually serve a purpose as a limit to how much actual control over the state you have as a ruler. The game let's you centralize just like states did historically.

Honestly just steal communication efficiency, education and art levels while you're at it Pdox. They're really fun internal management mechanics and you could make them run like not poo poo!!

The line of "ecumenical changes" at the end makes me wonder if they're gonna steal minority religion presences too.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I think it's just the Pope stuff they've been working on, unless they showed that already and I forgot.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the only risk in playing tall is falling asleep

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Playing tall does not provide happy signals to the part of my brain that wants to see my country's name get bigger.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Beamed posted:

Sounds like, since playing tall is risky, we’re in accord paradox should keep making efforts to keep it viable. Had to take the long way there I guess.

Playing tall is a self-imposed challenge and the whole point of it is its unviability. It's only risky when you set some specific goals and limitations. Talking about it being viable is like talking about making a challenge of playing without generals more viable, or without mercenaries, or without advisors.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

I play without mercs and it's 1000% more viable than playing tall.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Enough is enough. When is Magna Mundi being released as a standalone game??

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Some guy sperging out over playing tall as a change of pace is the most Games poo poo I've ever read.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

People defining "I don't want to expand" as a playstyle rather than, yaknow, not doing well enough in the game to expand is also hilarious.

Cool new playstyle: build a mediocre army and get wrecked by the AI's larger force. It's called going Custer, and it should be a valid playstyle. What if I want to roleplay as a country with a garbage military command?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Ham Sandwiches posted:

What if I want to roleplay as a country with a garbage military command?

Isn't England already the most played country?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Ham Sandwiches posted:

People defining "I don't want to expand" as a playstyle rather than, yaknow, not doing well enough in the game to expand is also hilarious.

Nah this isn't fair at all. There are plenty of times I settle on a border because I like the look of it / for roleplay / because I can't be assed even when it would be a fairly trivial war. Expanding manically at every possible opportunity lost its charm for me well before I hit 1000 hours.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Yeah I guess it comes as a surprise to some people goons but different people play games for different reasons, and with different goals in mind. If you play in a way that you enjoy I dont give a poo poo, you do you. EU4 is a pretty great sandbox for that. Yeah there is optimal play but optimal does not always equal fun, at least not for everyone.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Yeah I guess it comes as a surprise to some people goons but different people play games for different reasons, and with different goals in mind. If you play in a way that you enjoy I dont give a poo poo, you do you. EU4 is a pretty great sandbox for that. Yeah there is optimal play but optimal does not always equal fun, at least not for everyone.

This is it really. If EU4 were at all a challenging game itself, maybe we'd be having another discussion. But optimal play means the game is just boring by 1500, especially if you play as a major, where Paradox (rightly) focuses the effort.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I have close to 1200 hours played and have finished a game maybe once ever. Still much rather play EU4 than any of their other games.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Cool new playstyle: build a mediocre army and get wrecked by the AI's larger force. It's called going Custer, and it should be a valid playstyle. What if I want to roleplay as a country with a garbage military command?

I take it back, this is more Games.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Honestly the biggest barrier to me blobbing all over the map is usually that I hold a grudge against another country that tried to dick me over in the early game so I'll spend 1650-1750 grinding them into the ground.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

gently caress the ottomans.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Pewdiepie posted:

gently caress the ottomans.

I call them something else.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

it's totally unsurprising that eu4 under ddrjake would remove the current estate system and replace it with something less tied into the rest of the mechanics of the game. if you watch him play it's obviously the part of the game that he is least interested in, something that he just can't bother to do correctly even though it's easy and adds layers of decision-making to province development and events

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Jazerus posted:

it's totally unsurprising that eu4 under ddrjake would remove the current estate system and replace it with something less tied into the rest of the mechanics of the game. if you watch him play it's obviously the part of the game that he is least interested in, something that he just can't bother to do correctly even though it's easy and adds layers of decision-making to province development and events

Estates are tied to poo poo-all in the actual current game mechanics.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

At the moment Estates are integrated into the rest of the game more than any other feature added in DLC. It wasn't for a while but now it's one of the most involving tools in optimizing your empire.

You use them to mitigate autonomy and unrest, or to help with religious conversion. You use them to get specific bonuses on provinces, so you really care about what province interacts with the estate (important fort/high manpower goes to Nobles, border Steppes go to Cossacks, trade stuff goes to Burgers). You play with risk/reward by empowering estates for bonuses and later get their provinces back once the autonomy is low and you can afford to have an angry estate and additional unrest. And yes, most of the usefulness comes from getting a good advisor or colonization bonus every once and again, and it's annoying that you have to remember to do it. But cutting off their connection to the land is throwing out the baby with water, and I don't even think they get rid of the water cause there's another set of buttons giving some modifiers and not taking in account anything else in the game.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

ilitarist posted:

At the moment Estates are integrated into the rest of the game more than any other feature added in DLC. It wasn't for a while but now it's one of the most involving tools in optimizing your empire.

You use them to mitigate autonomy and unrest, or to help with religious conversion. You use them to get specific bonuses on provinces, so you really care about what province interacts with the estate (important fort/high manpower goes to Nobles, border Steppes go to Cossacks, trade stuff goes to Burgers). You play with risk/reward by empowering estates for bonuses and later get their provinces back once the autonomy is low and you can afford to have an angry estate and additional unrest. And yes, most of the usefulness comes from getting a good advisor or colonization bonus every once and again, and it's annoying that you have to remember to do it. But cutting off their connection to the land is throwing out the baby with water, and I don't even think they get rid of the water cause there's another set of buttons giving some modifiers and not taking in account anything else in the game.

I haven't bothered to add or delete estates from provinces since they stopped caring about having whatever % of my state development. I don't think I would gain that much from doing it since all my states are low-autonomy and I went over my state limit long ago. Right now I'm trying to just conquer a lot of poo poo as Ottomans but this pretty much describes all my games.

I will still push the buttons once in a while and try to keep loyalty high so I get the bonuses, but that's as much as I want to interact with estates.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists

ilitarist posted:

But cutting off their connection to the land is throwing out the baby with water, and I don't even think they get rid of the water cause there's another set of buttons giving some modifiers and not taking in account anything else in the game.

I think the latter part of this will ultimately depend on exactly how the system works but I have to take exception to the first part. The existing "connection to the land" borders on the nonsensical - estates being granted entire provinces at a time, in a way that encourages spending Monarch Power to turn a given region into the Soldier Generation Zone (rather than the estate itself affecting how its territory is governed), with little meaningful pressure preventing you from giving out and taking away territory as you see fit, was never really a system that made a lot of sense or encouraged much thought beyond "well grain is a lovely trade good so this province won't go to the burghers." Also making it so estate provinces couldn't be Seats of Parliament was both dumb and largely unavoidable given how both systems currently work.

I'm cautiously optimistic that the new system will require a bit more decision-making and do a better job of modeling the forces acting on states in the process of centralizing power.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

It is nonsensical, sure, but so is almost every other mechanic. The point was there was some nuance there, interesting interactions. Give new lands to the Estate, this fort is gonna be sieged so dear nobles please govern in for a short-time gain etc. Interesting interactions and choices. Now it's all going into a separate dimension where you can see government interactions and other mechanics that don't care about anything happening in the world, just dispensing bonuses and penalties.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I haven't bothered to add or delete estates from provinces since they stopped caring about having whatever % of my state development. I don't think I would gain that much from doing it since all my states are low-autonomy and I went over my state limit long ago. Right now I'm trying to just conquer a lot of poo poo as Ottomans but this pretty much describes all my games.

I will still push the buttons once in a while and try to keep loyalty high so I get the bonuses, but that's as much as I want to interact with estates.

:same:

Is a very unfun mechanic

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists

ilitarist posted:

The point was there was some nuance there, interesting interactions. Give new lands to the Estate, this fort is gonna be sieged so dear nobles please govern in for a short-time gain etc. Interesting interactions and choices.

I recognize that this is entirely subjective but I don't think I could disagree with you more on this front :shrug:

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Estates reward those who are really into their min-max optimisations but don’t really add any enjoyment or engagement to the game for me, I’d rather there was an advisor you could hire that would interact or automatically control them, as would be more typical for the time period, with a gradual change in the countries modifiers as time when on if you were obviously gunning for war/ trade/ colonisation etc

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

That is valid criticism - they're there for minmaxing but the attention they require is disproportionate to the effect.

Still I'd wish that end representation would still affect provinces giving them more character.

Even more I'd wish for them to get rid of various other mechanics that are basically estates with another name. Like Revolutionary/Republican/Chinese/Whatever Else Factions. It'd be great if those work as additional unique Estates.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

ilitarist posted:

Estates are stupid crap tacked onto an incredibly bloated game and your wasting your time evaluating provinces for estate interactions. IMo.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

First of all: what

Second of all, I can't find American Dream anywhere to disable it

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Senior Dog posted:

The error is trying to tell you that you need the American Dream enabled. The text says that it must be enabled and the red cross means it's not (kinda like how a decision in game will have "X own core Hamburg" if you don't). How could it possibly be confusing? :shepface:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Senior Dog posted:

Unsurprising: American dream is a lie

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Extremely helpful Reddit post on combat width: https://reddit.app.link/r2AGME77dZ

Sharing because even after a couple hundred hours in this game I never truly understood how it worked. Thankfully more numbers works most every time if you’re clueless (like I was), but this looks truly advantageous to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

MaxieSatan posted:

I recognize that this is entirely subjective but I don't think I could disagree with you more on this front :shrug:

:same: