Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
New season of The Terror started Monday just FYI. George Takei is in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Casimir Radon posted:

I really need to buy a house next year because I'm sick of throwing rent money down a black hole. I'm just afraid that the moment I do that the economy is really going to go down hard, and I'll be screwed.

Never buy a house and expect to make money on it. A house and house maintenance are an expense.

You buy it because you want a house to configure the way you like. You buy it because you're tired of neighbors.

You also trade off needing to fix and maintain the whole loving thing rather than just call some jerk to fix it.

You aren't throwing money down a hole renting. You're getting a place to live while externalizing the cost of dealing with that poo poo and mortgages for the next 30 years.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I have every intention to buy a house if we get another amazing recession like we did in the past. Thankfully my job is tough to get rid of even in a recession since hospitals are mandated by joint commission/other agencies to have a house supervisor for a critical access hospital.

The housing market in central Oregon sucks major balls and it's ungodly expensive. Houses that were 300k in 2016 are well over 400k now 3 years later.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Time to set some money aside to buy some good stocks (Visa, Mastercard, Amazon, Activision-Blizzard, Apple, Disney etc) when poo poo's real low during the next recession, gents. Start saving now. Predictions are its coming within the next year to two years. Maybe if we prepare well enough we'll be lucky enough to be able to retire if poo poo doesn't go tits up between climate change, the rise of fascism, or another civil war.

I'm predicting that the next recession is going to be worse than 2008.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
We also have a potential blue ocean event within the next 5 years. :smith:

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Bored As gently caress posted:

Time to set some money aside to buy some good stocks (Visa, Mastercard, Amazon, Activision-Blizzard, Apple, Disney etc) when poo poo's real low during the next recession, gents. Start saving now. Predictions are its coming within the next year to two years. Maybe if we prepare well enough we'll be lucky enough to be able to retire if poo poo doesn't go tits up between climate change, the rise of fascism, or another civil war.

I'm predicting that the next recession is going to be worse than 2008.

Potentially. Although I can only assume the recession will gently caress other things like trade (obviously) and other specific markets that produce goods rather than a direct effect on the housing market...... which will then gently caress the housing market and everyone's foreclosing on their house and then there's gonna be that issue too.

So yeah, you're probably right.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Nice and hot piss posted:

I have every intention to buy a house if we get another amazing recession like we did in the past. Thankfully my job is tough to get rid of even in a recession since hospitals are mandated by joint commission/other agencies to have a house supervisor for a critical access hospital.

The housing market in central Oregon sucks major balls and it's ungodly expensive. Houses that were 300k in 2016 are well over 400k now 3 years later.

Eugene area? I was thinking of heading that way in 5-8 years.

Or you talking more Bend?

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Crakkerjakk posted:

Eugene area? I was thinking of heading that way in 5-8 years.

Or you talking more Bend?

I'm north of Bend in Redmond. The housing market in pretty much every established city in Oregon is ridiculous, especially Eugene, Portland, Bend/Redmond and Corvallis.

There's places to live in Oregon that if you have a somewhat stable income you can afford, but you're going to be living in the boonies or a town with around ~1500 people, and the job market in those area's are going to be next to nothing unless you don't mind commuting 2+ hours to work (because traffic sucks balls)

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Casimir Radon posted:

I really need to buy a house next year because I'm sick of throwing rent money down a black hole. I'm just afraid that the moment I do that the economy is really going to go down hard, and I'll be screwed.

Lol don't worry I just did it for you.

Though I bought in the DC metro area so that'll insulate things better than if I had bought elsewhere.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Nice and hot piss posted:

The interest rates climbing offsets the low prices of the home. It's only a deal if you can buy cash.

The normal folks get hosed again.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

shooting in philly. several officers down.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Just remember early reports are always wrong detail wise.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
looks like it might be a drug bust/raid and they started shooting at the officers

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
hope the market crashes and everyone loses their rear end

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Proud Christian Mom posted:

hope the market crashes and everyone loses their rear end

I like my rear end

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I'm unsure of how safe my job is. The business intelligence stuff we do is what clients really want, and work would grind to a halt if it all fell on my boss. But if it's bad enough everything will grind to a halt regardless.

I was pretty insulated from the last recession because I was in pipeline training when it hit, then school and guard bumming while living at home until the worst of it was over.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
I clearly remember a time when none of my friends had real jobs. I had just gotten out and was in school and was terrified that my GI bill was gonna get chopped and Id be homeless.

I'm ok with not going through/putting people through that again. The rich don't suffer. They never do.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
the company i work for just started a 4-5 year, 180km pipeline project so i should be okay

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

They never gotta catch megamind!

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I suppose one of the side effects of being insanely hosed up by the 08 crash is that I've tried my absolute best to isolate myself from it happening again.

I live in a traditionally recession-insulated part of the country. My job is highly skilled, always in demand, and cannot be automated by machines. My employer has persisted through every crash in modern history with minimal effects. I've reduced as much of my private-sector debt as possible over the last few years and have considerable lines of credit. I'm sitting on a pile of cash like a goddamn dragon. And I have my disability income to staunch the bleeding.

So it's going to completely own when this next crash happens and I still somehow get totally owned.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Our current poo poo-ministration has already hosed things up so bad and so deeply that it's inevitable things are going to go to poo poo, and hard. All I really want is for the crash to happen on Strong Daddy's watch so the mouth breathing idiots that only ever politically respond to themselves getting directly hosed over don't have anyone else to blame.

30%-ish of the country are just lost causes and will gleefully blame it on someone darker than a paper bag, but Republican propaganda is gonna land really flat with people outside of the CHUD-o-sphere if he's actually in charge when everything he's done blows up. If they successfully kick the can down the road long enough that it ends up on someone else's watch there's a lot of really dumb people that will buy the bullshit smokescreen that he didn't actually do the damage he's done.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Weird flex, but ok. (edit - I meant Vas)

I will be retiring in the next 18 months and looking to move states and buy a house. Hope things are still ok then.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
I'm a career federal employee at this point, working at a shipyard isn't bad, but I don't know how things would go if a recession really hit hard. I know we've been told our work is cut out for us for a few decades, but who knows how things will go. My fiance keeps wanting me to move to PA and leave federal employ, but gently caress that. With as bad of an outlook I have on the future, being a new employee of a private employer when a recession hits is an absolute no thanks.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

re: Philly

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Just gonna buy land in the middle of nowhere, an old tractor and a shitload of rusted rear end implements to dig out my earthship.

Handsome Ralph posted:

Lol don't worry I just did it for you.

Though I bought in the DC metro area so that'll insulate things better than if I had bought elsewhere.

How's the insulation against ss-18s?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

How's the insulation against ss-18s?

I look forward to being either a super mutant or ghoul NPC in an upcoming Fallout game.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
i'll be the skeleton in the bathtub with a bunch of beer bottles flipping off whomever finds my corpse

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I didn't realize the philly shooting was still ongoing. poo poo.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
it's not really a shooting per say

i mean yes, there's gunfire being exchanged which meets the literal definition of a shooting

but from what it sounds like they served a warrant to a drug house or whatever and whoops, they're armed to the teeth

standard 'current event poo poo changes' rule applies

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Apparently there's a cop locked inside the building where the gunman is

Edit: also ???

https://twitter.com/GretaLWall/stat...ingawful.com%2F

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Gloom tube feed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLPqjxKVYlU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

bird cooch posted:

I clearly remember a time when none of my friends had real jobs. I had just gotten out and was in school and was terrified that my GI bill was gonna get chopped and Id be homeless.

I'm ok with not going through/putting people through that again. The rich don't suffer. They never do.

The rich have wealth managers that have already hedged their assets and secured a net short position. The people whose 401ks rely on index funds will get turbo hosed.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/sblackmoore/sta...ingawful.com%2F

Pfizer probably: If we infect everyone with ebola we will be rich

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Hot Karl Marx posted:

https://twitter.com/sblackmoore/sta...ingawful.com%2F

Clancy strikes again!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

It's probably a bad sign for my mental health that I immediately assumed this is somehow actually bad news because the vaccine is actually made from endorphins harvested from dying Ugandan LGBT children or the manufacturing process is powered by a forsaken child.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

It's probably a bad sign for my mental health that I immediately assumed this is somehow actually bad news because the vaccine is actually made from endorphins harvested from dying Ugandan LGBT children or the manufacturing process is powered by a forsaken child.

My cynicism went for the late stage capitalism route. Pharmacy groups are such pure, uncut evil I figured they'd find a way to corrupt it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Venture industries is back on top you say?

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Hot Karl Marx posted:

There's not enough vaccine to go around, and the underclasses are starting to get...desperate.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

psydude posted:

The rich have wealth managers that have already hedged their assets and secured a net short position. The people whose 401ks rely on index funds will get turbo hosed.

Yup. Anyone hoping for a bad recession or a depression can get hosed. The stock market going down significantly is certainly going to impact the wealthy, but their wealth is so diversified into so many areas (bonds, different stocks, real estate, businesses, art, gold) that they will easily ride out the storm, and they will be in a perfect position to buy stuff like property and housing and stocks when the prices are really low throughout the recession. 5 years after the recession, they're more wealthy than they ever were before.

The average worker is going to be hosed. Unemployment will increase dramatically, and if Trump is still in charge, they'll get little to no help. Underemployment will be an even bigger issue than it is now. The entire middle class is going to be hosed. Every state is going to be hosed. Every pension system, state retirement system, company retirement system, individual 401k, 403b, is going to be hosed for 10+ years after. State pension systems are still recovering from the 2008 Financial Crisis. Benefits, safety nets, and public services will be slashed across the country.

It will not be a fun time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
That's pretty much what's happening now