Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
I'm going to buy an instant pot and hopefully become a cool kitchen person.

Do people have any safety tips for a dunce like me who has never operated a pressure cooker before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Just read the manual.

Dead Of Winter
Dec 17, 2003

It's morning again in America.

Ritznit posted:

I'm going to buy an instant pot and hopefully become a cool kitchen person.

Do people have any safety tips for a dunce like me who has never operated a pressure cooker before?

Instant Pots self-regulate and have multiple safety devices. Just make sure the steam valve is clear and read the manual and it’s unlikely you will have a dangerous situation.

And, obviously, don’t put your hand over the steam valve when you’re releasing pressure.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Also make sure other household members have read the manual or been instructed on its operation. My husband almost burned himself by knocking open the steam release valve in the middle of cooking because he had no idea it would move. (Why or how he did that when it was near nothing of interest in the kitchen I don't know.)

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
Also: Don't fill it above the max fill line (it's marked on the pot), and if you cook rice in it make sure to rinse it first or it'll boil over (not dangerous but it'll trigger the safety release and gently caress up the cooking).

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Arcsech posted:

if you cook rice in it make sure to rinse it first or it'll boil over (not dangerous but it'll trigger the safety release and gently caress up the cooking).

Yeah I've never once rinsed my rice and it comes out perfect every time.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Do you have a good recipe for brown rice? I keep seeing different ratios like 1:2 rice/water or 1:1 rice/water but brown rice seems to be trickier.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

Do you have a good recipe for brown rice? I keep seeing different ratios like 1:2 rice/water or 1:1 rice/water but brown rice seems to be trickier.

Wish I could help out, I've only done short grain and basmati rice in my IP. I use 1:1.5 for short grain and 1:1 for basmati.. I would guess brown rice would need a bit more, and maybe an extra minute or so pressure cooking?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Johnny Truant posted:

Yeah I've never once rinsed my rice and it comes out perfect every time.

Enjoy your super sticky rice?

coathat
May 21, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

1:1 22min seems to work for me

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Is there a thread for immersion heaters?

Found it.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.
So I have a bean recipe that I'm intending to make tonight, but I want to add a jalapeno or two because when I made it before it was pretty bland. Should I add the peppers before pressure cooking, or when serving?

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

My god, it's full of :jeb:!

gamingCaffeinator posted:

So I have a bean recipe that I'm intending to make tonight, but I want to add a jalapeno or two because when I made it before it was pretty bland. Should I add the peppers before pressure cooking, or when serving?

I would add them before with the onions/etc. Most of my bean cooking is pinquito beans and the process is pretty much: render pork (bacon/sausage) > cook aromatics in the pork fat (onion/peppers/garlic/etc) > heartier spices once the aromatics soften > stock/beans and cook. Then add any more subtle/fresh spices like epazote /cilantro/oregano after the pressure cooking. You could always add some after the pressure cooking if you wanted the more fresh flavor/texture from them mixed in or as garnish on top. Pickled jalapeno as a garnish also is pretty nice on some beans to add some acid.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Croatoan posted:

Enjoy your super sticky rice?

Johnny Truant posted:

it comes out perfect every time.

:shrug:

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

gamingCaffeinator posted:

I add before but pressure cookers take some heat out of the chili so 2 might not be enough depending on how many beans, heat of the jalapenos, whether you rib and seed.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Has anyone tried the recipes on PressureLuck? https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWP5zYusIJqJCK27A0NlAKg

I've not seen it mentioned across any of the pages, but probably because it looks more geared to people like me who are novices in the kitchen compared to Serious Eats which kinda assumes you're not going to slice a finger off if you need to cut something. The food looks good though, so now my IP arrived ($55 on Prime day, thank you Amazon) I'm going to give at least one recipe a week a whirl.

I'm only cooking for myself, so I'm guessing the best way to do things is to put the leftovers in the fridge, then siphon portions back into the IP and use warm for about 30m to reheat the next day? I've been needing to learn to batch cook stuff so looking forward to trying stuff out.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Deli containers are a good way to go if you have a microwave.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That’s a good plan, especially for work. I’ve always been eh about microwaves (lived without one for 5 years and didn’t really miss it) but if there’s no discernible difference then I’m game.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

wormil posted:

I add before but pressure cookers take some heat out of the chili so 2 might not be enough depending on how many beans, heat of the jalapenos, whether you rib and seed.

Well, I added one (ribbed, seeded) jalapeño and sauteed it down with the bell pepper and onion in some bacon fat. I actually got a decent amount of flavor, but not a ton of heat which is okay. The one thing this recipe is missing is salt, and I'm not sure how to fix that (before cooking or after? How much, compared to a regular stovetop recipe? Will using broth instead of water help?) But it's still a huge improvement in flavor and bean texture over the first time I made this recipe.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Add salt at any time.

We made yogurt the other day, easy peezy.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Definitely make beans with broth. I started using garlic better than bouillon for making my beans and I won't look back, adds a good amount of flavor and salt that gets soaked up while they cook.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Mercury Hat posted:

Definitely make beans with broth. I started using garlic better than bouillon for making my beans and I won't look back, adds a good amount of flavor and salt that gets soaked up while they cook.

Good beans have enough flavor that the resulting broth, made of nothing more than beans, salt, and maybe a bay leaf or some Mexican oregano, is a great ingredient by itself. Onions very optional. I will always advocate for bougie beans.

For supermarket beans, I agree with you. You need to add flavor to those things.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

wormil posted:

Add salt at any time.

We made yogurt the other day, easy peezy.

If you add salt prior to cooking the beans will get tough. Just season prior to serving or go to flavor town by adding lard before sealing

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Senate Soup is just beans, onion, butter, and water. The only time I use water in bean soup is to thin a strong stock but then my taste buds probably aren't sensitive enough to enjoy bean water. I use stock when making rice too. I also enjoy whisky and cigars so obviously prefer strong flavors.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

DangerZoneDelux posted:

If you add salt prior to cooking the beans will get tough. Just season prior to serving or go to flavor town by adding lard before sealing

I make 30+ pots of bean soup per year, in my experience it doesn't matter. Just like salting eggs before cooking doesn't matter.

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

In the case of pressure cooking I usually do after. Depending on the type of beans and how soupy the liquor should be they sometimes need a little reducing after the pressure cooking and just find it easier to control the salt by doing it then. Also all the stocks/broth I use are generally unsalted if homemade or as low sodium as possible if using store bought.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

DangerZoneDelux posted:

That's actually reversed, you want the salt asap as the sodium ions will replace calcium and magnesium meaning that they cook up softer with salt than without for the same cooking time.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Carillon posted:

That's actually reversed, you want the salt asap as the sodium ions will replace calcium and magnesium meaning that they cook up softer with salt than without for the same cooking time.

I stand corrected. Whoever suggested Ranco Gordo beans earlier, I want to thank you.. I'm hooked on them. I took to making a pot every week on the stove. No more pressure cooking but it's part of a nice ritual to soak and wake up early to get a pot started

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

wormil posted:

Just like salting eggs before cooking doesn't matter.

Gordon Ramsay just had a heart murmur and does't know why

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

You guys are awesome. Thanks for answering the question so thoroughly :3: I did use grocery store pinto beans, but I'm still really happy with how it came out. And thanks to you, I have a better idea of how to fix the problems I had with the recipe I used!

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I stand corrected. Whoever suggested Ranco Gordo beans earlier, I want to thank you.. I'm hooked on them. I took to making a pot every week on the stove. No more pressure cooking but it's part of a nice ritual to soak and wake up early to get a pot started

You are very welcome. You can even cook them from dried in a reasonable amount of time (2 hours or so), and if you sprout them they cook in literally 20 minutes.

What kinds did you get? I'm a fan of Rio Zape and Royal Corona in particular. Yellow Indian Woman are really tasty too.

Did you happen to get oregano indio or other herbs as well? I like to throw in a bottle with my orders. It's tasty stuff.

turtleface
May 28, 2003

I'm helping
What are some good bougie bean sources aside from rancho gordo?

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005
As I understand it, the latest in cutting edge bean science says salt before cooking is fine, but hold off on acidic ingredients until they're cooked or at least pretty far along.

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

turtleface posted:

What are some good bougie bean sources aside from rancho gordo?

Old seriouseats article listed:
https://lompocbeans.com/
https://purcellmountainfarms.com/

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat

This is a great post. I was just wondering today about where to find good, fresh beans, nuts and seeds. It looks like Purcell has a lot of non-bean stuff that looks great, have you bought any of their nuts/seeds, grains, or dried fruit? Seems like a nice option for my bulk grain/flour/seeds/nuts needs each month or two.

In other news, a store down the street from me stocks Rancho Gordo. I'm gonna eat a stupid amount of fancy beans this weekend. :getin:

Edit: Picked up some Vaquero beans and some green lentils. :woop:

Keret fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jul 19, 2019

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Johnny Truant posted:

Gordon Ramsay just had a heart murmur and does't know why

Well it's innocuous. There are things I used to think just had to be done a certain way but over time realized it doesn't matter.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Wow I've walked past the Rancho Gordo store lots of times and had no idea they were any good. And now I found out their store closed.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

You are very welcome. You can even cook them from dried in a reasonable amount of time (2 hours or so), and if you sprout them they cook in literally 20 minutes.

What kinds did you get? I'm a fan of Rio Zape and Royal Corona in particular. Yellow Indian Woman are really tasty too.

Did you happen to get oregano indio or other herbs as well? I like to throw in a bottle with my orders. It's tasty stuff.

I went for the Rio Zape and the Ayocote Morado. I will try the Yellow Indian Woman on my next order and definitely some of the herbs. I have an order coming from Masienda to try my hand at heirloom corn tortilla making and the Rio Zape paired with a fresh corn tortilla is going to be pretty killer

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.

wormil posted:

Well it's innocuous. There are things I used to think just had to be done a certain way but over time realized it doesn't matter.

Nothing in cooking really "has" to be done any way at all, it's all subjective and up to personal preference and most recipes are hard to totally ruin. Coincidentally you should salt things just before eating, you just are adding sodium with none of the saltiness if you cook it into whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Spudalicious posted:

Nothing in cooking really "has" to be done any way at all, it's all subjective and up to personal preference and most recipes are hard to totally ruin. Coincidentally you should salt things just before eating, you just are adding sodium with none of the saltiness if you cook it into whatever.

what