Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

That reminds me, wasn't there talk about an Animaniacs reboot?

Yes, it's coming out on Hulu next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I don't have high hopes for the Animaniacs reboot sticking around for very long now that Hulu is fully owned by Disney.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Mraagvpeine posted:

What is the weirdest episode of any childhood series that you can remember?

Does "Don't Eat the Pictures" count as an episode? It definitely felt like some kind of episode to young me.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Just finished binging season 1 of Infinity Train.
It wasn't bad, though it was mostly coasting on the goodwill generated by the ominous synth chords of the opening theme. I was mainly watching for Atticus and OneOne.

Over the Garden Wall did it much better, IMO.

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010

Applewhite posted:

Over the Garden Wall did it much better, IMO.

Did what much better? I felt like they were going for different things.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

PerniciousKnid posted:

Does "Don't Eat the Pictures" count as an episode? It definitely felt like some kind of episode to young me.

What series is that from?

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

PerniciousKnid posted:

Do you mean the Sesame Street special?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think the two biggest hurdles for a Freakazoid reboot would be the fact that writers might try too hard to be cool instead of zany and the fact that Ricardo Montalban is dead so you'd have to find another heavily distinct actor from 15 years ago to build a new part around.

A big part of Freakazoid was writers just being wild and crazy in a way that was either highly contextual to the time or to them specifically as fans of old movies and TV (and even operetta, and not one of the songs everybody knows too), while occasionally falling back on a more typical yet eclectic superhero plots that may have mostly been originally designed by Bruce Timm before he left the project. The base premise is more relevant than ever, but if you remade it, it would end up being fundamentally different.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

mateo360 posted:

Do you mean the Sesame Street special?

Yes, that's the one. Where Big Bird debates with the Egyptian god of death over whether a kid can go to heaven.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

Did what much better? I felt like they were going for different things.

An angsty teen is sent on a journey through a weird world where everything is a metaphor for the problems they need to face. The teen has two companions, one wacky, the other overly serious.

Iris=Wirt

OneOne=Gregory

Atticus=Beatrice

In the end, the wacky one had a special, unguessed importance.

The serious one serves a brief stint as an unwilling antagonist. Beatrice due to her bargain with Adelaide and Atticus due to the transformation gun.

Turtles have a special significance in both series.

Applewhite fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Aug 14, 2019

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Also the catalyst for both teens' adventures is an encounter with a train.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

J-Spot posted:

I don't have high hopes for the Animaniacs reboot sticking around for very long now that Hulu is fully owned by Disney.

Come join the Warner *loud poorly dubbed voice* DISNEY brothers and the Warner DISNEY sister Dot...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The new Ducktales is basically turning into a one-show Disney Afternoon reunion, they even got the Rescue Rangers now since apparently the movie in the works fell through.

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010

Applewhite posted:

An angsty teen is sent on a journey through a weird world where everything is a metaphor for the problems they need to face. The teen has two companions, one wacky, the other overly serious.

Iris=Wirt

OneOne=Gregory

Atticus=Beatrice

In the end, the wacky one had a special, unguessed importance.

The serious one serves a brief stint as an unwilling antagonist. Beatrice due to her bargain with Adelaide and Atticus due to the transformation gun.

Turtles have a special significance in both series.

Wow, that is actually super on point. Nice one! I guess when it comes to the ending

Over the Garden Wall is fuzzy if all the adventures over the wall actually happened or if it was just imagined while Wirt was in the coma. I know that pissed off some of my friends I showed it to because they do that ending shot of all the people you met in the woods, and they might not be real so what does it matter. Some people don't like that sort of uncertainty or feeling all the journeys they went through didn't actually exist. Infinity Train is super clear that what Tulip went through on the train actually happened. I guess it depends on what your tastes are for which kind of ending you think is better. Also knowing there's more Train coming kinda changes things I think.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Oh poo poo, Infinity Train is getting a second season? That's really cool, though they'll definitely have a hard time matching how tight the first season was.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
Where is Infinty train available right now? Is it just the Cartoon Network app?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Macaluso posted:

Ya know what Rocko getting a movie and Invader Zim, as well as Steven Universe, it's time to take it to its logical conclusion:

Freakazoid Movie

Weirdly enough on the most recent episode of TTG Robin was falling, hit a clothesline and ended up in the Freakazoid costume for a second. Of course that doesn't mean anything other than someone at WB Animation remembers Freakazoid but at least somebody does.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.

Mraagvpeine posted:

That reminds me, wasn't there talk about an Animaniacs reboot?

A lot of Animaniacs was spoofing but also celebrating the glitz of Hollywood and given what a hosed-up place the movie business is, I kinda don't really want to see a reboot anymore anyway

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Thompsons posted:

A lot of Animaniacs was spoofing but also celebrating the glitz of Hollywood and given what a hosed-up place the movie business is, I kinda don't really want to see a reboot anymore anyway

Yeah thinking back it feels like a lightning in a bottle thing.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
On the other hand I could see the animaniacs being lovely YouTube personalities

Don't want to see that either but it fits them so we'll.

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
Man, I really wanted to like Infinity Train. There were some very very cool things going on there (magic therapy train, all the subtle little nods to a larger world, the synth soundtrack), but I came away feeling vaguely disappointed. It felt kind of... rushed to me, especially the Amelia subplot. I feel like the show kind of breezed by these really important character moments, or maybe more charitably they made them very subtle and more understated than a usual cartoon show might make them, but the net effect is that it all coalesced into a weirdly paced show that never really clicked for me. I'm still on board with season 2 though. This felt like a dry-run for the real effort, and I'm curious to see where it goes.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

magic cactus posted:

Man, I really wanted to like Infinity Train. There were some very very cool things going on there (magic therapy train, all the subtle little nods to a larger world, the synth soundtrack), but I came away feeling vaguely disappointed. It felt kind of... rushed to me, especially the Amelia subplot. I feel like the show kind of breezed by these really important character moments, or maybe more charitably they made them very subtle and more understated than a usual cartoon show might make them, but the net effect is that it all coalesced into a weirdly paced show that never really clicked for me. I'm still on board with season 2 though. This felt like a dry-run for the real effort, and I'm curious to see where it goes.

The pacing is also what I had the most difficulty with. A lot of the beats felt really off and I didn’t particularly care for how, even though weeks and even months might have elapsed between episodes, the characters still felt like they’d only known each other for a few days. Tulip had barely established a repoire with Atticus by the end and she never really clicked with OneOne despite all of them spending a LOT of offscreen time together.

Also I don’t feel like Tulip’s programming knowledge really came into play except the one episode with the logic trees and even then it was to completely dismiss the usefulness of that skill.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Between the synth soundtrack and the train’s reconfigurable nature, I was honestly hoping for something more like Stranger Things meets Cube with a dash of Labyrinth

It would have been cooler for me if the train had been more malevolent as well.

Loved the Stephen King roach monsters though.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Infinity Train was great. The Cat was great. At first I thought it was going to be like Quantum Leap and the plot of the first season would be stretched over seven seasons before Tulip leaves the train, and maybe a few tie-in standalone episodes in the back-half might have made it better, but I liked the pacing. It leaves open a few questions

1. Were all the roach monsters created by Amelia? If so, why?
2. Except for Amelia's creation and the roach monsters outside the train, I don't remember anything dangerous in the train itself. At a surface level, it can be treated as a naturally existing magic therapy train, but on the other hand it's an AI and it kidnaps people and holds them against their will. Who created it and One-One, and how did it come to exist?

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

muscles like this! posted:

Weirdly enough on the most recent episode of TTG Robin was falling, hit a clothesline and ended up in the Freakazoid costume for a second. Of course that doesn't mean anything other than someone at WB Animation remembers Freakazoid but at least somebody does.

Teen Titans Go is a pretty punny show. I actually do enjoy it. Guilty pleasure of mine. D.C has a character called The Creeper who is essentially Freakazoid. Actually, I should say Freakazoid was loosely(or just straight) based on The Creeper. So, it's funny Robin would dress up as Freak instead of Creep. Me, you, and random TTG animator all still remember Freakazoid atleast.

Just binged Infinity Train. Loved it. I thought my Cartoon Network app randomly selected an episode after ep1 and had to go check. The beginning of each episode in a new place or the end of some adventure we'll never see was great. I hope that baseball team wins their game...

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I’m not guilty at all about loving TTG. It is a quality show and I especially appreciate how seriously the writers take the craft of writing. I’m super grateful to the show for turning me on to Save the Cat. That poo poo changed my life.

They integrated Bumblebee into the team like champs, too. Not an easy feat for any show.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

biggest problem with reviving freakazoid is that timm lifted a couple of things from mike allred's madman and they probably don't view a continuation as worth the legal risk

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Thompsons posted:

The Animaniacs go to rehab with Bojack Horseman.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
TTG is basically this generation’s Animaniacs anyway.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've started rewatching Invader Zim and I think the reason it worked so well compared to other cartoons/media relying on random humour and funny words is that the words have meaning outside of just sounding funny, like the Parent's Day episode, which the "Diarrhea" line.

It's not just that the father-bot is saying a funny poop word, it's the additional context - the audience's first hint that the situation wasn't going to go according to plan was when Gir changed the channels, and one of the first things the audience sees is an advert selling anti-diarrhea medication. The Parents are supposed to copy the parenting video, but the audience knows they'll start mimicking Gir's nonsense instead, so this is the moment that begins the payoff of the episode.

Also, while the audience knows things are going to go awry, Zim doesn't. The line is the first time he realises "Oh poo poo, this is going to go horribly wrong..." and that reaction forms an extra physical joke for the audience to enjoy, Zim's dawning horror and the payoff for the dramatic irony.
Also it's the last thing they do that could be construed as normal behaviour - an adult human could have just got intestinal distress, so it's not that weird to the adults until things escalate, but Zim knows the true meaning of the line. After this point the entire situation is blown completely out of control. "Diarrhea" is the direct hinge, the link between normal and deranged.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Zim is pretty much the only cartoon with intentional gross-out humor that I enjoy. They were really clever about a lot of it even if it was horrifying.

It’s been like 15 years and I’m still not healed from the trauma of Dark Harvest, though.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm finding the Rocko movie a bit hard going because I never was a big fan of the gross-out humour. I know it's entirely in line with the old show, but still. The rest of the show basically being only a slight exaggeration of how absurd and disgusting capitalism is has aged much better.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Thompsons posted:

I want the new show to just be the hosed up 1920's Warner Brothers shorts that were always alluded to in the old show.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’ll be that sad gently caress refreshing Netflix until the Zim special shows up.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Watched the new Rocko. It was... alright filler, I guess. I loved the series as a kid but I don't think it holds up that well as an adult. I guess I was hoping for this to be a little more mature, not in an Adult Swim way but like.... you know. It still felt like a product for kids which is weird when only adults are going to be watching it. I also was surprised that the short length - they were really, really cramming as much as they could into that short length and it was kind of exhausting by the end.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Most interesting thing that's coming out of fan's reactions to Static Cling isn't the expected one of various CHUD's hating on it because of Rachel, rather it's those fans who are embracing her as a concept, indeed a lot of people are shipping her and Rocko now, and honestly the art they're making is actually pretty adorable and funny

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Ran through Infinity Train and way overanalyzed it. They kept making such a big deal about Tulip's weird name, plus "TULIP OLSEN" seemed so prominent on her tape that I became convinced that there was some "Tom Marvolo Riddle" stuff going on and that her name could be rearranged to spell something meaningful (why yes, I was high at the time). But the best I could come up with was LENTIL SOUP.

Well, that or OLE NUT LIPS.

Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

Nameless Pete posted:

Ran through Infinity Train and way overanalyzed it. They kept making such a big deal about Tulip's weird name, plus "TULIP OLSEN" seemed so prominent on her tape that I became convinced that there was some "Tom Marvolo Riddle" stuff going on and that her name could be rearranged to spell something meaningful (why yes, I was high at the time). But the best I could come up with was LENTIL SOUP.

Well, that or OLE NUT LIPS.

Plotlines with a pesky extra "u".
Lineup slot.
Lost lupine.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Sneaksie Taffer posted:

Plotlines with a pesky extra "u".
Lineup slot.
Lost lupine.

She had to get off that train before the full moon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

TULIP OLSEN

USE LIPTON?

subtle advertising.