Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

As someone who loves CK2 for that, no this game is absolutely not that game. If you like character interactions and guiding a dynasty you won't achieve that. This is much much closer to EU4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Eimi posted:

As someone who loves CK2 for that, no this game is absolutely not that game. If you like character interactions and guiding a dynasty you won't achieve that. This is much much closer to EU4.

Fellblade posted:

It's EU 4.5, sorry.

Lame :(

Wonder if there will be a CK3 at some point...

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Fellblade posted:

It's EU 4.5, sorry.

More like EU 3.5 :(

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Annath posted:

You can't die by summoning Cthulhu when you're playing as a Nation-State :argh:

In Stellaris you can actually do this. It kills your nation-state and everything.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Red Bones posted:

In Stellaris you can actually do this. It kills your nation-state and everything.

Really? What's the event? I've never run into it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

It's called End of the Cycle. It's a shroud thing, and it's exceedingly rare to ever fire, it's got a tiny chance of firing on interactions you can only fire every 5 years, and can't happen in multiplayer at all (which is dumb). I've played a lot of Stellaris, and it only fired for me once, a few weeks ago. Even then I'm not sure I'm going to even play that game out, because it's on a 50 year countdown, and basically nothing is going to happen in those 50 years.

The time delays in Stellaris are really weird.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Bohemian Nights posted:

More like EU 3.5 :(

I'd say that it's more like Victoria 2.5, but with a characters system that's frustratingly close to being engaging. There's enough detail to characters for the game to have almost a Base-Game-CK2-level amount of character interactions and stuff, but with the twist that it's within state structures that aren't tied 1:1 with characters. However, it's missing the amount of events and non-player interactions needed for that to happen naturally, so they feel kind of like a more developed version of Stellaris characters.

Spiderfist Island fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Aug 9, 2019

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

TorakFade posted:

does it have proper icons, or everything is still using the same placeholder icon making it impossible to understand what currency you're actually spending?

Just use the workshop mod, 1.2 Icons or something.

I really, really like what I've played of the new food/city update fwiw, game finally feels like it's own beast

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I liked 1.2 well enough but I really do feel like Imperator needs some more work for it to break away from the other pdx grand strats and be its own thing.

Independent of that though I do hope someday that we eventually expand the map all the way to China because an antiquity era game doesn't feel complete without one of the three great empires of the era in the mix. Maybe we could even model the development of the silk road?

AnEdgelord fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Aug 10, 2019

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

I think we all can agree that it’s EU:R 1.5

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Annath posted:

I have hundreds of hours in Crusader Kings 2.

Is this game the successor to CK2 I've been waiting for? IE: is this a character/lineage focused game, or is it more like EU and Stellaris and focused exclusively on the Macro scale, nation-state stuff?

Because I really like the lower-level detailed gameplay and bizarre events that are possible when you're playing as one dude/dudette.

You can't die by summoning Cthulhu when you're playing as a Nation-State :argh:

No, this game will bore you out of your mind if you're looking for that CK2 drama. The character aspect is thin flavor at best.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

BgRdMchne posted:

I think we all can agree that it’s EU:R 1.5

They can't figure out how to make a game set in the ancient era work.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I:R=(Victoria .8+EU2.4-CK2xMoE)/(Svea Rike+HoI10)

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

AnEdgelord posted:

I liked 1.2 well enough but I really do feel like Imperator needs some more work for it to break away from the other pdx grand strats and be its own thing.

Independent of that though I do hope someday that we eventually expand the map all the way to China because an antiquity era game doesn't feel complete without one of the three great empires of the era in the mix. Maybe we could even model the development of the silk road?

I saw a Loooooong time ago that some group was working on a Late Zhou/Warring States China map in preparation for Imperator coming out, but I think it was a standalone map (I honestly would prefer that to doubling the map's size TBH.) Does anyone else know what I'm talking about?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I was :v: but I stopped because 1. Another group is/was making a Three Kingdoms mod with aspirations to cover Warring States too and I thought it’d be a bit redundant, and 2. After it came out it turned out... I didn’t enjoy the game very much at the moment.

So I shifted to a CK2 mod in a different period instead. I still have all the research and a lot of the art and mapping done though so I might come back to it in a year or something, especially since it seems like that other China mod team ran out of steam after the Total War game came out and nothing’s actually gonna happen with it anymore. I still really feel like it’s got perfect game mechanics to cover the Warring States period.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
Feels like I've kind hit a civilization wall as a settled tribe. I maxed out centralization, which puts my civilization at 30%, but to change government types I need 50% civ in my capital. Afaict the only way to get it higher is to encourage urban development in my capital, which is one point every two years, and to improve my technology, which will take decades with the tiny number of inefficient citizens I have, even with the citizen output omen. Am I missing some other way to boost civilization?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Magissima posted:

Feels like I've kind hit a civilization wall as a settled tribe. I maxed out centralization, which puts my civilization at 30%, but to change government types I need 50% civ in my capital. Afaict the only way to get it higher is to encourage urban development in my capital, which is one point every two years, and to improve my technology, which will take decades with the tiny number of inefficient citizens I have, even with the citizen output omen. Am I missing some other way to boost civilization?

Maybe a government interaction, or laws? I dunno the tribal ones.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
The laws are how you boost centralization, which reminds me, to any devs reading: maxing centralization is waaaay too easy right now.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
https://twitter.com/gameimperator/status/1160881756775571456?s=19

More expanded pop mechanics

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Will this mean that the map is no longer fully hellenized in like 100 years?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Sampatrick posted:

The Seleucids and Ptolemies are specifically getting penalties to their ability to convert so possibly yes?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
So they balancing too fast conversion by making it hard to convert for the only countries that have any reason to convert. Do I understand correctly?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Sampatrick posted:

I've been playing games on the beta patch and, unless they're tweaking it going forward, the Hellenisation is actually faster and more total, because it's always on now rather than only happening when the AI governor selects the assimilation policy at random.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I've been playing games on the beta patch and, unless they're tweaking it going forward, the Hellenisation is actually faster and more total, because it's always on now rather than only happening when the AI governor selects the assimilation policy at random.

yikes. extremely yikes.

just make it so that freemen, slaves, and tribesmen will only convert when there are no more citizens to convert and make their conversion slow. that way it actually models how cultural changes happened historically.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

this has been the opposite of my experience

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat
I think the specific change they're talking about in that diary only hit the beta branch in the last couple days, right?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Fuligin posted:

this has been the opposite of my experience

I'm talking about culture... which has been going much faster in my game than religion:

(Persia doesn't look so bad, but that's because the Seleukids exploded almost immediately:)

Magissima posted:

I think the specific change they're talking about in that diary only hit the beta branch in the last couple days, right?

Nah, continuous-assimilation has been in the 1.2 beta for... a month? More? What has just been added is that settlement/city/metropolis split they were talking about and the province food thing... which has royally hosed this save, lol.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Once they make it numbers-balanced the settlement vs. cities thing is actually a real masterstroke in terms of design, I hope whoever thought that one up gets a big loving medal.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Nah, continuous-assimilation has been in the 1.2 beta for... a month?

Keep in mind that a month of that month or more was when they were out on vacation for the entirety of July

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

What's the status of the game at the moment? I bought it at launch and bounced off hard. I can usually get down with launch Paradox titles but yeesh, this was rough.

The dev logs for the upcoming patch (cities/towns one) look promising, but how does it sit now? I'm kind of in the mood to fire it up, but then I remember how it was and ehhh.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm enjoying play around with the changes now, but I liked it at release. My advice tho is wait a month until the latest patch is out of beta.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

It's fun but still unbalanced and buggy e.g. some of the buildings straight up don't work

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
I played a game on the beta branch. I like the pop and building changes, but holy poo poo is war and conquest frustrating, especially when you're big. I am playing as Egypt, and am now at the point where nothing can stand against me. The only barrier to my expansion is my will to step on the 500 forts every minor is building alongside having to take provincial capitals, which almost always get snagged by some wandering ant sized stack while I am waiting for the RNG to grant me the required fort to take a province. I am amazed they took the worst parts of EU4's tedious wars and managed to make it worse. I know I can automate my troops, but they then become seriously braindead, it's like completely relying on allies in EU4 to win wars for you. Absolutely miserable.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
If you're that big the troop AI being good or bad doesn't matter; you just zoom out all the way and crush them by virtue of having ten times as many troops. Maybe turn it off for the occasional siege.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Arrhythmia posted:

If you're that big the troop AI being good or bad doesn't matter; you just zoom out all the way and crush them by virtue of having ten times as many troops. Maybe turn it off for the occasional siege.

It's not that I am afraid or losing anything, it is just tedious to have to intervene to get them to grab the capitals and forts so I can take the land in the peace deal. If it were like EU4 where you just need ONE fort in the area (I think that is how it is at least) and do away with the province capital, it probably would not be so bad.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Latest beta patch as Emporion is really fun, I like the new pop/settlement/city mechanics! Conquering a tribal province basically sets in motion a societal change where the tribals start promoting to freemen, adapting to the new lifestyle, but since settlements can't support more than a few freemen and maybe one citizen, they then start demoting to slaves and after some time it basically ends up looking like this:

This fuels your economy and resource production. Cities are used for mainting freemen/citizens to give you manpower and research(and some cash from the citizens). Some tweaking on the numbers and maybe more resistance from tribals during the conversion process would be nice though.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Along those lines, here’s a new dev diary looking at some balance changes and a couple mechanics changes.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
And with a way to directly influence slave ratio yes! really looking forward to the beta being fully released, it really is a massive change!

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Yo someone tell the Pdox devs that they need to make cultures dynamically transition into melting pot cultures rather than either being one culture or the other. This is basically the period of history where culture was the most fluid and seeing the map become wholly Roman rather than Gallic-Roman or Iberic-Roman or so on is weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I wonder if you could have hellenic cultures "harmonize" with other cultures like confucianism can do with other religions in eu4.