Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Dalael posted:

That became his strategy after his own cavalry was massacred tho.

*edit: as far as i remember anyway

The Parthian strategy was to shoot arrows at the Romans until they forced them into the testudo, at which point heavily armored cataphracts could charge the densely packed infantry and cause significant casualties. Then, when the Romans loosened the formation to deal with cataphracts, the heavy cavalry would withdraw and the horse archers would start shooting them again. Crassus was hoping they'd run out of arrows because of this tactic and he ended up losing his cavalry (and his son) when he realized the horse archers were being constantly resupplied by camels and sent them, and a few cohorts of infantry/archers, to deal with them. The Parthians feigned retreat and shot up the pursuing Romans, and when they got far enough away from the main Roman army the Parthian heavy cavalry annihilated them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

CommonShore posted:

By "show up late" mean that masses of highly skilled horse archers don't really seem to bother the Romans much until the Huns get into the mix. I don't know of any times where "And the Romans got hosed up by some loving horse archers" comes into play before the Hun era, anyway. I could be ignorant of further examples. I guess there's the whole "Parthian shot" thing, but that is in my head as a tactical failure in over pursuit and overextension, not a lack of an effective answer.

Your note about the composite bows improving could be it, though. Worse bows could mean that the horse archers have to get closer to the enemy, which makes them more vulnerable to return missile fire and/or being caught by a heavy cavalry manouvre.

the black sea and eastern borders of the empire extended up to the sort of terrain where horse archery is extremely effective and then stopped. it's fair to say that, much like how they became spooked by germania and gave up on it pretty early so there aren't a lot of stories about the romans getting owned by germans until the germans came to them, a big reason why there aren't more "and the romans got hosed up by horse archers" stories is because they were very uninterested in trying to hold territory against the steppe nomads. not least because the romans loved hiring horse archer auxiliaries and valued them more than holding a mostly worthless stretch of steppe.

also wrt phalanx chat. the ideal of the phalanx is that they were supposed to be composed of hardened semi-professional heavy infantry who trained fairly regularly, but why would one of these ideal phalanxes have issues fighting against maniples even on level terrain? pike squares fended off looser formations all the time in hey gal's era, when they were largely composed of professional mercenaries. it was definitely an exaggeration to say you could shove a farmer into a phalanx and he'd be fine, but that was also part of my point: how often did a phalanx really live up to the hellenic city-state ideal? if we're talking athens, sparta, macedon, then yeah sure they're a disciplined force.

the gauls, though? for all that they weren't the barbarians depicted by the romans, they obviously lost pretty frequently once the romans had a professionalized army deploying in maniple-style formations (technically after the marian reforms they aren't maniples but marius didn't really change the tactics, just organizational and logistical stuff). the whole point of the maniple style, aside from superior handling of uneven terrain compared to the phalanx, is to pick apart an undisciplined phalanx or shield wall by giving the centurions a degree of independent movement and initiative.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

do we know anything about training in the pre-Marian army? Probably the kind of subject ancient authors could never be bothered to describe in detail

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Squalid posted:

do we know anything about training in the pre-Marian army? Probably the kind of subject ancient authors could never be bothered to describe in detail

In The Storm Before the Storm an incident was described where a general was stopped from sailing off to his destination by bad weather and put his army through gladiator training routines to kill time, and then was astonished by how much more effective his otherwise-raw recruits were just from that. Apparently this incident inspired some of Marius' training reforms.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Jazerus posted:

pike squares fended off looser formations all the time in hey gal's era, when they were largely composed of professional mercenaries. it was definitely an exaggeration to say you could shove a farmer into a phalanx and he'd be fine, but that was also part of my point: how often did a phalanx really live up to the hellenic city-state ideal? if we're talking athens, sparta, macedon, then yeah sure they're a disciplined force.
NOW i agree with what you're saying. If you give a guy a pike who has never seen a pike before, he's probably going to be surprised at the balance and fall over. expecting him to do anything useful without practice is pointless.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Pre-Marian reforms the Roman army functioned fairly similar to the Greek armies. You had to provide your own equipment, served in a role based on your class, units were made up of levies of men from the same area, etc. I'd imagine training was similar where men of a certain age were just sort of expected to be training during the offseason from farming. The nature of Roman politics/the consulship incentivized putting yourself into debt so you could win glory leading legions (and loot the money back), so with war being a near-constant part of life I'd imagine there were plenty of guys around who knew what they were doing to help train the younger men. But that's all just conjecture on my part.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Jamwad Hilder posted:

...with war being a near-constant part of life I'd imagine there were plenty of guys around who knew what they were doing to help train the younger men. But that's all just conjecture on my part.
i am pretty sure this is how mercenaries trained in the early 17th century, which means i'm on one side of a small debate about the development of official "drill"

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

CommonShore posted:

The big question that I keep having is 1) what is the counter to this unit?

rifles

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

humidity too I've heard

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

humidity too I've heard

not a portable solution tho

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Jazerus posted:

not a portable solution tho

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
vaping at genghis khan to own the nomads

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

CommonShore posted:

While we're on the general topic of ancient formations/counter formations, I'm perpetually impressed by the relative efficacy of the Hun/Avar composite horse archer as I'm working through the relevant historical narrative podcasts. The big question that I keep having is 1) what is the counter to this unit? Over a long campaign I can imagine that it's vulnerable to skill/horse attrition but it really seems to answer every question of warfare in the era, and 2) why did it show up so relatively late?

Make friends with a feuding tribe of horse archers and now enjoy ally that can hurt them strategically while you hunker down in a siege.

Sometimes the steppe nomads create a strong hegemony like the Mongols and you can't do that anymore oops. But then they have the single greatest military in the world, and they've worked hard for it, so what do you expect? A strong military that can sustain itself well and never gives up is just plain strong, the best you can do is fight them to a standstill and hope they fall apart. In the case of the Huns, this happened, they basically disintegrated into a million constituent tribes when Attila was killed. The Mongols had a stronger succession.

Walled cities are not great fortifications because they have to defend a huge area and population. The good castles are small and fit a few dozen-hundred guys with enough supplies to last years. The steppe nomads tend to have bad navies so you can also use coastal forts to good effect.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm sorry for asking something that must come up regularly but I'm showing HBO's Rome to someone again. Is there a YouTube or essay or something that addresses the authenticity of the displayed cultural features such as religious rituals, clothing, street activity, and so forth, rather than the play-by-play of the military campaigns? I know how the late Republic wars went down already courtesy of The History of Rome podcast and this thread. I also know that generally speaking HBO's Rome did a smashing job of authenticity. But this thread has also taught me some useful info like that Atia bathing in bull's blood for a divination in episode 1 or 2 was not authentic - what I'm looking for is a source of information like that, fun information to accentuate watching the show.

For example, there was a little boy with a bow and quiver of arrows leading Octavia around her husband's home when she went to see him against her mother's wishes - what was up with that?

e: or when Marc Antony proposed that Vorenus rejoin the legion - Antony was fully nude and being tended to by a slave with a stick for some reason. I have subtitles for the show that add historical notes periodically and they said he appeared to be getting cleaned of sweats and oils after exercise. That sort of information is neat.

SuperKlaus fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Aug 15, 2019

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Antonius was being cleaned. They oiled you up and scrapped the oil and dirt off with a stick

Oh look I found it

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strigil

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Mister Olympus posted:

Been awhile since we changed thread titles.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I think a reason why overlooking the Parthians is they didn't really attack Rome. They were on the defensive for most of the conflicts, minus succession squabbles in Armenia.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Mister Olympus posted:

new title

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The Parthians attacked the Roman east with the help of Quintus Labienus during the Liberators’ War. It actually took a couple years to re-secure the east, that was the context of Antonius’ eastern disaster. During the high empire serious incursions stopped though, because the Parthians weren’t dumb and realized that the united east under Rome was way beyond their weight class. Once the Sassanid state is established the empire is militarily weaker and gets weaker yet after the Cyprian Plague and generally the state structure eating poo poo during the whole second half of the 3rd century, thereby encouraging more incursions. Eventually the east develops an effective military balance with the Persians and a long relative peace develops again, where the east is sufficiently strong that Persia has little to gain from invading.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

cheetah7071 posted:

humidity too I've heard

I'm not sure how well this holds up. China is also incredibly humid in large swathes of its territory. In addition compound bows were being used throughout China and southeast Asia. Now maybe they used different glues but construction was fairly similar to the Mongol bow.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

GlassEye-Boy posted:

I'm not sure how well this holds up. China is also incredibly humid in large swathes of its territory. In addition compound bows were being used throughout China and southeast Asia. Now maybe they used different glues but construction was fairly similar to the Mongol bow.

IIRC bows getting wet and loving up glue was mentioned in the history of Rome as an issue for some group of horse archers. Can’t remember if it was rain or humidity or what, but I do think it was an issue. Google isn’t helping me a ton here though.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

From what I've read of recent scholarship the thinking for why the Mongols didn't conquer Europe is a combo of:

A) Europe was really far from home base, even for the Mongols. The Mongol territories in Europe became their own thing pretty quickly.
B) Europe's terrain isn't great for big hordes of horses. China's isn't either, but China is right there and Europe is way over there. The Mongol territories in Europe are limited mostly to the European end of the Great Steppe.
C) The Mongols were capable of siege warfare, but Europe was just so, so dense with castles that assaulting it as a whole would be an endless nightmare. Subutai's scout mission figured this much out while it was pantsing various Eastern Europeans. It would've taken a massive, sustained effort to push across Europe and it wasn't deemed worth the trouble.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

tildes posted:

IIRC bows getting wet and loving up glue was mentioned in the history of Rome as an issue for some group of horse archers. Can’t remember if it was rain or humidity or what, but I do think it was an issue. Google isn’t helping me a ton here though.

By the sixteenth century, the tables had turned.

During the Great Siege of Malta, rain turned Ottoman matchlocks into clubs while the defenders’ crossbows worked a treat.

Steel prods may rust in the long term, but in the short term they are unaffected by moisture.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Shouldn't a guy on foot be able to operate a bigger bow than the guy on the horse and therefore be able to outrange and fight off the guy on the horse? Or is the limiting factor the operator's ability to draw the bow and not its size?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

aphid_licker posted:

Shouldn't a guy on foot be able to operate a bigger bow than the guy on the horse and therefore be able to outrange and fight off the guy on the horse? Or is the limiting factor the operator's ability to draw the bow and not its size?

The problem with that is that the horse archers can just switch to swords and ride them down.

Or call in their heavy cavalry. Or just move out of range until the bowmen on foot have wasted all their arrows.

Being mobile gives you lots of options.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

aphid_licker posted:

Composite bows can be significantly smaller than self bows and still have a similar strength.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

aphid_licker posted:

I think at least sassanids also had some fully armored horse archers too, so it wasn't necessarily that easy to just shoot a broadhead into the sides of the horse either.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

skasion posted:

Composite bows can be significantly smaller than self bows and still have a similar strength.

Yeah there's a limit to how strong a bow can be and have a person still able to pull it, and composite bows already hit that threshold.

Crossbows on the other hand do get stronger and can outrange horse archers, which is exactly what the Chinese did to counter them.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I don’t think we ever hear of Romans doing that though, which is odd since I’m fairly sure they had crossbows.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

skasion posted:

I don’t think we ever hear of Romans doing that though, which is odd since I’m fairly sure they had crossbows.

Yeah the Romans had crossbows and torsion catapults. https://www.ancient.eu/article/649/roman-artillery/

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah the Romans had crossbows and torsion catapults. https://www.ancient.eu/article/649/roman-artillery/

It's fascinating how little the Romans talked about crossbows. Vegetius apparently speaks of them in passing, but seems to basically assume the reader is familiar with them and disinterested. It's unclear whether they were typically affiliated with the archers or the siege weapons, and frankly the Romans seem more interested in using them on horseback for sport hunting than anything else.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_crossbows#Greece

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Did the "real men fight in melee" stigma ever really go away in roman culture?

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

aphid_licker posted:

These look pretty big to me.
There was a goon posting here who was very knowledgeable about the bows used by horse archers, but I forgot who.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

aphid_licker posted:

The foot archer has a stabler platform and an easier target too. The cataphracts won't give a poo poo, but in most steppe armies they're a minority, and ideally you have your own armoured cavalry to respond to them. The Achaemenid Persians basic fighting style was based around this principle, the infantry was a stack of archer-spearmen who took cover behind a single wall of guys with big-rear end shields, alongside a healthy component of cavalry. They did alright against steppe armies, losing here and there but not getting overrun. Unfortunately, this makes the infantry less capable against a big mass of guys who all have shields, which is why hoplite-esque infantry like the Greeks or Egyptians or Karians etc were so "heavy" in comparison.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Did the "real men fight in melee" stigma ever really go away in roman culture?

Nope. They stopped thinking cavalry were a bunch of wimps but ranged weaponry was always second class. Vital, they weren't stupid, but you never see a Roman army experimenting with large scale archery or whatever. They do seem to have been real into battlefield artillery though, there are a couple recent-ish discovered battlefields that are just littered with artillery ammo.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Grand Fromage posted:

Nope. They stopped thinking cavalry were a bunch of wimps but ranged weaponry was always second class. Vital, they weren't stupid, but you never see a Roman army experimenting with large scale archery or whatever. They do seem to have been real into battlefield artillery though, there are a couple recent-ish discovered battlefields that are just littered with artillery ammo.

Was it pretty limited to siege environments, or did they use "field artillery"? I've picked up that the smaller scorpions were used on the battlefield but what about the big ballistas, onagers, etc?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It looks like scorpions and ballistae were used in field battles. I didn't see anything about finding onager balls.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Grand Fromage posted:

It looks like scorpions and ballistae were used in field battles. I didn't see anything about finding onager balls.

Wouldn't Onager balls be used mostly on defense tho? When it comes to using them on a throng of people running towards you, I would think that any objects (such as rocks) would probably do.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Dalael posted:

Wouldn't Onager balls be used mostly on defense tho? When it comes to using them on a throng of people running towards you, I would think that any objects (such as rocks) would probably do.

I think the real problem is I'm not sure you can tell the difference between onager and ballistae balls. I'm just trusting battlefield archaeologists when they say there isn't any evidence of onagers. There's also the matter of transport, there's evidence of scorpions and ballistae being transported by cart already assembled but I think onagers were like trebuchets, they were often built on-site at a siege rather than being brought with the army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Zopotantor posted:

These look pretty big to me.
There was a goon posting here who was very knowledgeable about the bows used by horse archers, but I forgot who.
jauchecharly, from vienna, dropped off the internet a while back. want me to write him a letter irl?