Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
Honestly the bindings don't add challenge so much as they just make the fights take loving forever, with the exception of health bind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Same, except not bothering to get any pale ore in a speed run attempt

Here lies the Knight, tried to beat watcher knights with 5 health and one nail upgrade and died

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Martman posted:

I'm one binding away from the Weathered Mask, and only just found out the last Pantheon has a stupid little glowy jewel thing that lights up if you're a crazy person and manage to do all four bindings at once. I think..... I think I'm gonna have to be satisfied not lighting up the stupid jewel.

All of them have this. The bindings light up if you do four at once.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I Said No posted:

Honestly the bindings don't add challenge so much as they just make the fights take loving forever, with the exception of health bind.
Errrr gotta disagree pretty hard there. Charms make the game super easy, taking them away is massive. Only being able to heal one health at any point makes mistakes hugely punishing. Nail binding is not very fun, but making a fight longer also totally adds room for error if you get in a tight spot. And if you're good enough that the other three don't matter, health won't matter either!

Also update: fighting Zote right after Markoth is insanely terrible.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Just beat Pure Vessel a few times, once taking only a single hit which was honestly avoidable. Also reacquainted myself with a few other P4 bosses. Starting to feel doable!

Pure Vessel is a good fight. Once you have the timing right you don't ever need to jump. Seems to be true for Traitor Lord as well, I've found; you can stay close enough to always bait him into doing either the slash or dive attacks, and then just dodge, turn around and get some hits in. I never once saw the discs but the shockwaves did get me a couple of times.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Glare Seethe posted:

Pure Vessel is a good fight. Once you have the timing right you don't ever need to jump.

As someone who platinumed: what the gently caress?

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Arrhythmia posted:

As someone who platinumed: what the gently caress?

I just stayed on the ground and dashed, usually through him but sometimes away if necessary depending on positioning. Dashing through, turning around and immediately dashing towards him and getting a hit in counted for many of my hits. Basically did that for the whole fight... the exploding circles attack is similar - get out of the large circle, dash back close and get some hits in, except if a smaller circle spawns next to him. The tendrils are avoidable on the ground if you keep your distance. Knives you just dash through. Etc.

I don't think I even need Quick Focus for this anymore, which is a big relief cause I can replace it with Quick Slash and that's a huge boon.

edit: Replaced every instance of 'dodge' with 'dash' to be clear. :)

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Aug 13, 2019

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I definitely find PV waaay easier with jumping. Doesn't he pause before unleashing his three-slash attack sometimes? I dunno it fucks with me, whereas there's not really anything that punishes you for jumping.

Anyway...

:toot:

I might try some of the other pantheons with all bindings, but doing all of #5 with them seems like it would be kinda anti-fun. Especially with how most people who ever cleared it did so back when Nail Art damage was bugged to ignore the Nail Binding. In other words I'm pretty done with this amazing game.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Martman posted:

I definitely find PV waaay easier with jumping. Doesn't he pause before unleashing his three-slash attack sometimes? I dunno it fucks with me, whereas there's not really anything that punishes you for jumping.

Anyway...

:toot:

I might try some of the other pantheons with all bindings, but doing all of #5 with them seems like it would be kinda anti-fun. Especially with how most people who ever cleared it did so back when Nail Art damage was bugged to ignore the Nail Binding. In other words I'm pretty done with this amazing game.

Grats, that's a serious achievement.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

In “I’m definitely not that good” news, I finally got around to unlocking the Grimm fit. That’s a fun one to learn.

Then I went and took a few shots at NKG. Wow. Talk about intense. It’ll take some time, but I’m pretty sure I can get him down.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Martman posted:

He sort of takes a half-step back I think, you have to move towards him and then dash through to compensate. I do still get hit there on occasion. I'm just never able to dodge by jumping cause I'm always too close to him. The daggers attack is a great opportunity to dash towards him and get a few hits in, and with the jump/spikes you often end up right next to him as well. At that point I'd rather hit him a couple of times and dash through than try to get enough distance between us to make jumping viable. And doing that you can turn around, dash back and hit him once right as he comes out of his slash attack. Chaining those a few times is actually really fun.

Staying close to him does mean opening myself up to be hit by the tendrils and yeah, sometimes you mess up the timing on dashing through, but for P4 I don't mind. By the time the tendrils come out I'm happy to trade one hit for three of my own, at that point it doesn't matter. I might be cultivating bad practices here if I ever decide to try for P5, but to be frank I hope I'm not tempted to seriously do that. Although it'd be a shame to let this muscle memory decay...

TheMadMilkman posted:

Then I went and took a few shots at NKG. Wow. Talk about intense. It'll take some time, but I'm pretty sure I can get him down.

You can. If you beat Grimm you can beat NKG. That fight is such a great spectacle.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

85 hours and it turns out all this time I was missing Abyss Shriek. :doh: Only found out after beating P4 and going for the Pure Completion achievement, had to figure out the final 1%. I was genuinely baffled for a while, was certain I had everything already. I'd been at that location but I guess just assumed there was nothing there? It's not a straightforward pickup I guess.

P4 was easier than I thought it would be, and much easier than the third. I don't know if it's something about the way the bosses are ordered or what, but Pure Vessel was the only one that gave me trouble (died to him three times before succeeding on the fourth attempt), and that's after I moaned about Watcher Knights and Lost Kin in this thread just a couple of weeks ago. Strength + Quick Slash just kind of melts everyone. White Defender almost got me a couple of times but I knew there's a bench right after so I felt more or less free to facetank him.

I then made a half-assed attempt at P5 and died to Gorb. :)

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Now that Gorb has slain you, you become the new Gorb.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Glare Seethe posted:

You can. If you beat Grimm you can beat NKG. That fight is such a great spectacle.

I started working on it this afternoon and ya, I can totally do this. He’s easy to read. I just need to stop letting myself get cornered and stop making dumb choices during the bullet hell part.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Nightmare King Grimm is a wonderfully designed fight that tears you apart in seconds if you're unprepared but once you learn him he's very doable.

Not an Owl
Oct 29, 2011
Anyone have any tips for Zote in P3? I can get there with max health/soul and have practiced a decent amount of times in the Hall of Gods but when he starts jumping around too much I can't find a great dodging strategy.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Not an Owl posted:

Anyone have any tips for Zote in P3? I can get there with max health/soul and have practiced a decent amount of times in the Hall of Gods but when he starts jumping around too much I can't find a great dodging strategy.

When he does the triple jump I think I just mimicked it basically, jumping over the shockwaves every time and landing, then jumping again, etc. For the big slam from above I'll quote myself from a couple of pages ago:

quote:

Killing the zotelings is the absolute first priority, I think. Then it's about sneaking in hits wherever you can. You can usually hit him once from above after he does his big slam attack, for instance, since you should be in the air then anyway (to dodge the shockwaves). Something like jump -> dash -> (Zote lands) -> double-jump back -> down slash -> dash. Don't be tempted to hit him more than once or he'll leap up.

But you get most of your hits during that fight when he's flailing (by pogo'ing) or summoning.

Peanut!
May 12, 2019
I did it! I have defeated both the Radiance and Nightmare King Grimm!

What a ride. Big props to whoever suggested using Sharp Shadow for NKG, really helped me with putting in consistent damage. Also, what's the best way to farm 16k Geo do Unbreakable Strength?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Congratulations man! I gave up on both of those, mad respect, yo.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Peanut! posted:

What a ride. Big props to whoever suggested using Sharp Shadow for NKG, really helped me with putting in consistent damage. Also, what's the best way to farm 16k Geo do Unbreakable Strength?

Equip Fragile/Unbreakable Greed, Gathering Swarm, and whatever other charms you want for fast movement and run around killing as much as you can. There's a huge cache of geo in a hidden area to the far right of Kingdom's Edge, and don't forget that you can sell relics to Lemm for some quick cash, or repeat the Coliseum fights.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
You can get a couple hundred geo one time by going through the right wall in one of those little houses in City of Tears and defeating what you find there, if you haven't done that already.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I just did the second trial in the coliseum a bunch. You get 2k geo for each win and it's varied enough to be interesting but still easy enough to reliably clear. It doesn't take too long, and it's far less mindnumbing than repeatedly looping through benchs to farm world mobs.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It does go quickly but it isn‘t varied whatsoever, it’s the same enemies in the same exact spawns over and over.

I’m just gonna do a lap of the entire map from Dirtmouth going clockwise and see how much Geo I can score.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Yeah I just put on greed and did a lap, it adds up fast

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I did the second trial. I actually didn't want any of the unbreakable charms but I accidentally one to divine not knowing what would happen, and needed to get it back for the max% achievement. Whoooooops

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i got enough money for all the unbreakable charms by keeping the swarm badge glued to my lapel until they were all paid for, just through my explorations alone

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I... Used an exploit that's been patched, because I died and then lost my shade, like, a lot.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Don’t forget to be safe and store as much Geo as you can in the bank!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I think I lost my shade like literally 2 times in the ENTIRE game, and yet I constantly stressed about it :doh:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I didn't find Sly until I had explored like half the world. Needless to say I got very paranoid about my several thousand geo stockpile.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Oh! There's a way to use the bank to double the money you put into it. I recommend putting as much money in as possible

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Holy hell, after like 5 hours of trying I finally beat tbr second Hornet fight. That one was kicking my rear end.

The other one that's giving me a lot of trouble is the boss before the sleeper in city of tears (forget the names). They suuuuck.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
that boss is really hard. Theres not a lot of advice for them, just learn to bounce off of them with jump -> slashing downwards if you're not already. But yeah they're tough. Also there's a hidden room before the fight that will let you drop a chandelier on one of them pre-fight so that you fight one fewer, I would recommend taking advantage of that

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The trick to that fight is to deal as much damage as you can to the knights as they spawn in.

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

The trick to that fight is to deal as much damage as you can to the knights as they spawn in.

Using Vengeful Spirit/Shade Soul on them is also very useful since it'll deal damage to both of the active ones. Shaman Stone is also extremely handy in the fight because of that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

No Wave posted:

Also there's a hidden room before the fight that will let you drop a chandelier on one of them pre-fight so that you fight one fewer, I would recommend taking advantage of that

Whaaaaat

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Took them out finally, sharp shadow works well because you can hit them when they're in ball form.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I dislike platformers like Hollow Knight. But I got this game a few months ago as part of some bundle. I do like watching LPs and speedruns of it.

A few days ago I decided to play a bit of Hollow Knight and expected to get bored pretty quickly.
It is now 30 gaming hours later and I just beat the White Palace and delivered the Flower. Send help.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
this game is actually that good. I play a lot of 2D platformers and HK's controls with the slight knockback to yourself on hit is just better + the healing mechanics are just good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I genuinely feel bad for people that don’t like Hollow Knight.