Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Klansman 8 0.91%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 578 65.76%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 185 21.05%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 4 0.46%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 0 0%
Julian Castro, the Twin 3 0.34%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 3 0.34%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 9 1.02%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 2 0.23%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 4 0.46%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 19 2.16%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 19 2.16%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 8 0.91%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.11%
Just like in real life, nobody voted for Hickenlooper 2 0.23%
Jeffrey Epstein, the MCC Most Hated 9 1.02%
KKKillary KKKlinton 16 1.82%
Some other idiot not in this list 9 1.02%
Total: 879 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
lol how is Warren “I’ll take big money “ and “I’m a capitalist to my bones” not a centrist corporatist candidate backed by the media ?

There is only one person in the running who they don’t want to win. Ask yourself why that is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Trabisnikof posted:

Well how about this, why don't you follow your own desires and actively advocate for a candidate?

If that's what you think this thread should be about.
Here I'm advocating for a mode of discussion. If people find that discussion uninteresting we don't have to do it, but I think the conversation of "What are we even doing here?" is interesting.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

joepinetree posted:

The entire reason the view of Warren's campaign went from being "what a fiasco, they'll run out of money any day now, when will she drop out" to being taken seriously is that her poll numbers improved. Seems counter-productive to ignore that part of the race.

I also think that she found an appealing campaign concept. She is playing up the concept of being a serious person, with plans and policy for solving poo poo, and she makes the fact that she has plans the core of her campaign. She is trying to project an aura of competence and foresight which has gained a fairly obvious niche in comparison to the constant chaos of Trump.

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Aug 14, 2019

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

twodot posted:

Here I'm advocating for a mode of discussion. If people find that discussion uninteresting we don't have to do it, but I think the conversation of "What are we even doing here?" is interesting.

My point is that limiting discussion to just advocating for candidates is boring (and alternatingly other posters complain about "dogpiling" when people advocate too much) and even you seem unwilling to do it.

I think Bernie Sanders is the only candidate that gives this country a hope of survival for the next 50-100 years. No one in this thread will likely convince me otherwise. What now?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

My point is that limiting discussion to just advocating for candidates is boring (and alternatingly other posters complain about "dogpiling" when people advocate too much) and even you seem unwilling to do it.
I never said that should be the only thing, just re-posting other people's polls like you are a baby buzzfeed intern is pointless.

quote:

I think Bernie Sanders is the only candidate that gives this country a hope of survival for the next 50-100 years. No one in this thread will likely convince me otherwise. What now?
Now you post about it. Or you don't.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

twodot posted:

I never said that should be the only thing, just re-posting other people's polls like you are a baby buzzfeed intern is pointless.

Now you post about it. Or you don't.

To be clear, if I commissioned my own poll I wouldn't be allowed to post it either.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

twodot posted:

What do you fear won't be produced if you or I were to ignore that part of the race?

I would love to spend as much time as necessary pointing out how Warren's policies, to the extent that they differ, are just less detailed, watered down versions of Bernie's.

But I also think that in an environment where the main narrative against Bernie in the media (that he is the candidate of White well off people) is contradicted by the very data that they like to push otherwise (that Warren has surpassed Bernie in the polls), it is important to address that.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The hoarse whisperer has been doxxed and to no one's surprise he's an extremely white finance bro.

I have seen this and want to spread it around but I have not seen the verification. Are we absolutely sure we got him?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

eke out posted:

by my reckoning, PPJ's rule excludes Morning Consult, Change, PPP, SurveyUSA, Emerson, HarrisX, Ipsos, and Selzer (particularly relevant for Iowa), which collectively make up the vast majority of all current polling

i agree there's no reason to allow stupid N=100 polls but "Post anything from any of the most active current pollsters and get a 3 day probe" is not a reasonable policy

The rule allows sixteen pollsters, all chosen by an arbitrary process someone else made up so we don't have to fair and objective criteria. It's not like polling discussion is being banned altogether, just significantly clamped down on for the sake of the thread's sanity.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

To be clear, if I commissioned my own poll I wouldn't be allowed to post it either.
I hereby formally request an exemption to the poll posting rule. If forums poster Trabisnikof personally conducts their own polling regarding the 2020 Democratic Primary, they should specifically be allowed to post their own original research in this thread.

joepinetree posted:

But I also think that in an environment where the main narrative against Bernie in the media (that he is the candidate of White well off people) is contradicted by the very data that they like to push otherwise (that Warren has surpassed Bernie in the polls), it is important to address that.
I mean I agree people shouldn't be allowed to just make up lies, but I'm also not seeing examples of people using polls to construct arguments that other people are lying and getting probated for it.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

twodot posted:

I mean I agree people shouldn't be allowed to just make up lies, but I'm also not seeing examples of people using polls to construct arguments that other people are lying and getting probated for it.

There's already a good example of a poster basically calling someone a liar and the only way to answer with proof it was to risk a probation by linking to a forbidden poll.

nerve posted:

am I supposed to just believe Biden is Sanders supporters number 2 because you posted it? why do you think this?

A strict adherence to the rule would mean this thread shouldn't discuss the 2nd choices of candidates if that question isn't included in approved polls. You think this is good because its not the right kind of advocacy in your mind.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Main Paineframe posted:

The rule allows sixteen pollsters, all chosen by an arbitrary process someone else made up so we don't have to fair and objective criteria. It's not like polling discussion is being banned altogether, just significantly clamped down on for the sake of the thread's sanity.

I think it was just a hasty decision that can easily be reconsidered to include reputable polls - the initial reasoning was about avoiding people posting lovely polls of 150 people in Oklahoma as an own, not to ban all discussion of the kind of regular, good polls that come out on a day-to-day basis.

Half the discussion in the last couple hours has been about numbers from a Banned Poll where you probed the poster, yet everyone kept talking about it because it's of interest to the thread in general.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Ytlaya posted:

Since no one else replied, there was a poll that basically showed this*. And I don't think it's really that strange; that poll was held even earlier in the primary, and it was likely because Sanders and Biden had the highest name recognition. Biden seems to have very few ideology-based supporters; the centrists who are highly engaged politically have likely mostly gone to Harris.

Notably, though, while Biden is the second choice of 30% of Sanders supporters, Warren is the second choice of 27%, so it's misleading to generalize the Biden support to "Sanders supporters in general" since it seems to only apply to a subset of likely low-info Sanders supporters.

I think name recognition is actually a minor factor in the Bernie/Biden crossover voters. Keep in mind that most people know gently caress all about policy, and are largely driven by how they feel about candidates and the general presentation.

Biden and Bernie are the two candidates with the most working class/union/man of the people vibe in the race. So if that type of thing is in your wheelhouse, it makes sense for them to be your guys. It's the same reason why Warren/Harris and Pete/Beto are largely linked as well. Pete/Beto seems to be a weird quirk where the informed and the gut voters are on the same page.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Addamere posted:

I just got invited to a meetup for Warren volunteers, and I feel it is my civic duty to go and as best I can try to convert those Warrenites into Sanders Siblings. Seeing as how she presents herself as the intelligent wonk who has a plan for everything, it strikes me that maybe some of you folk here who are knee deep into archaic prose might have some convincing arguments that might work to help recruit some real life potential comrades. If you would please lend me your finest bespoke decorum-filled arguments in favour of Comrade Bernard, artisinally hand-crafted to appeal to the Warrenite Succbrain, I'd be very thankful. G-d bless.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

This isn't trolling. Addamere is a bit slow on the uptake but genuine about this. The primary campaigns basically is warfare and people pearl clutching about decorum and niceties while clucking their tongue about "underhanded tactics" while Jeff Bozos and the media practically don't give Bernie fair coverage because he does not represent their best interests so the principle is exactly the same here. If social media didn't exist to circumvent the corporate media's strong biases and segmented format of delivering news in a compressed soundbitey way, people's opinions would have coagulated on that bias alone and have become entrenched.

Sincerely, Addamere, your best bet is to not be direct because of a psychological phenomenon called the "backfire effect", it happens all the time here in d&d and hell you got probated for it. So to do this, you just need to have anecdotes and set up examples about prescription costs and healthcare that doesn't directly challenge their worldviews, and it's important to know what people's backgrounds and motives are in the first place so you can figure out what issues matter to them to the most and try to "respect" it even if it's a dumb pet issue that doesn't address the multiple crises that have emerged out of decades long on purpose negligence and malice. You're not online so you have to ask them a few innocuous questions and figure it out from there. If you can succeed in making them consider that Bernie Sanders is a second choice, if you couldn't convert then it'll be likely it will be their first choice if he breaks away from the pack because humans have tribal mentality.

It's really simple, you don't need to have paragraphs of arguments. You just need to listen and suggest based on what policies they want implemented. Not all of them are going to vote democrat or warren for that matter either so consider that aspect too.

Also you know better than to post here, cmon.

Calibanibal posted:

So, a Bernie stan itt is plotting to show up to a meetup for Warren volunteers (statistically speaking, many of them will be women) and sabotage, harass and attack them? And this is... fine?

this is trolling, obviously as tongue in cheek. Cmon~

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

There's already a good example of a poster basically calling someone a liar and the only way to answer with proof it was to risk a probation by linking to a forbidden poll.

A strict adherence to the rule would mean this thread shouldn't discuss the 2nd choices of candidates if that question isn't included in approved polls. You think this is good because its not the right kind of advocacy in your mind.
National level second choice statistics isn't any sort of advocacy! It just doesn't matter that as of unknown date someone talked to 5000 people found out 20% of those 5000 people support Sanders and of the 1000 people that support Sanders 300 of them support Biden as a second choice. That's totally, empty meaningless information. No one should care to attack or defend that nonsense. If tomorrow the staff of Morning Consult came out said "Jokes on you we just made that poo poo up" what would change in your world?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Lastgirl posted:

this is trolling, obviously as tongue in cheek. Cmon~

You shut your mouth, Calibanibal is a forums treasure and the most authentic poster since H1N1.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Captain_Maclaine posted:

You shut your mouth, Calibanibal is a forums treasure and the most authentic poster since H1N1.

Wow, the patriarchy is trying to silence me for getting the truth out there, can't say I wouldn't be surprised~

I'm going to have to side with Cannibal now in the fight to push back on the sexist bernard brothers who insist on being called the bernard brotherhood instead of bernard siblings. If binge watching the fast and furious franchise has taught me anything, it has taught me that it's about family. Not Me, Us.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The Glumslinger posted:

I also think that she found an appealing campaign concept. She is playing up the concept of being a serious person, with plans and policy for solving poo poo, and she makes the fact that she has plans the core of her campaign. She is trying to project an aura of competence and foresight which has gained a fairly obvious niche in comparison to the constant chaos of Trump.

Yeah, part of the reason why Warren concerns me as a potential winner of the primary (if Biden goes down in flames) is that I could very easily see myself preferring her in some hypothetical world where I didn't pay much attention to politics or have a personal stake in political outcomes. Like if I didn't go into this election with a clearly defined set of criteria and only judged the candidates based upon my subjective perception of them, I'd probably be a Warren supporter. I think a lot of Warren supporters, particularly on this forum, are likely what would have resulted if I had never encountered anything in my life that made me proactively care about politics (as opposed to just reactively responding to the obviously crazy/bad things Republicans say and do, which is what I did until the age of like 23 or 24).

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

^ If the Democratic nominee is a candidate able to capture low information voters then we are doomed to the worst of possible worlds.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

yronic heroism posted:

^ If the Democratic nominee is a candidate able to capture low information voters then we are doomed to the worst of possible worlds.

Yes, it would signal the failure of the Democratic Party to actually win.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

foobardog posted:

Yes, it would signal the failure of the Democratic Party to actually win.

Huh? If the Democratic Party captured low information voters it’d win in a landslide

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

goethe.cx posted:

Huh? If the Democratic Party captured low information voters it’d win in a landslide

Exactly.

My point is they're controlled opposition, and yronic heroism is saying the quiet part loud when they spurn low information voters.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Yes, my post was 100 percent literal and I agree any nominee must convince only those voters who assess everything through reasoned debate & discussion. Any surface appeal to other, lesser voters is, not good.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

The Glumslinger posted:

She also has the better target. The Dem base wants to see candidates attacking trump, not amorphous "millionaires and billionaires". Bernie's right in identifying the real threat to life on the planet, but the typical lib doesn't care about what's right, they just want to see people call trump bad.

That's not to say he doesn't lambast trump, but he does it as an aside, a preface to his real target. It doesn't matter how right he is if his message doesn't draw in voters who don't already love it.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

it also doesn't matter how many voters are drawn in if they're drawn in by a lovely candidate (AKA everyone other than bernie) because then you'll have a lovely president and the cycle will begin again

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/KeyDecision1/status/1161498610976079873?s=20

Bernie Better loving win

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Vote Bernie to own the libs.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I’m serious just gently caress advocating for any other candidate. I’m done putting up with it. This is war.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Nonsense posted:

I’m serious just gently caress advocating for any other candidate. I’m done putting up with it. This is war.

thats why what Addamere is doing is fine because people's lives hang in the balance. You can't tell me that other campaigns haven't done more insipidly petty poo poo like ripping up yard signs as an underhanded tactic. It happens all the time, there's no procedural approach to having a fair shake at getting the message out.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

It's weird that I can hate people who are, at least in the context of the usual left-right political dichotomy in the US, pretty close to me ideologically, nearly as much as I hate Trump voters. I think it's something like Trump voters I view as being a lot like a natural disaster e.g. a flood or earthquake or something - like reactionaries are just inevitable or something. But people like HoarseWhisperer and for that matter the entire cast of MSNBC, I do view as actual people with actual opinions and I hate them. And to continue the analogy, I suppose I hate them in much the same way that I hate people who skimp on earthquake preparedness and then people die or something, like this poo poo is just deeply irresponsible in much the same way, and really does rise to the level of demanding punishment.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
The libertarian I know keeps talking about how Warren is the clear choice if Biden doesn't get the nomination. So that tells me that both are bad

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Lastgirl posted:

I'm going to have to side with Cannibal now in the fight to push back on the sexist bernard brothers who insist on being called the bernard brotherhood instead of bernard siblings.

The Bernie Gesserit Sisterhood, a distinct and revered sect of Bernie supporters, are not to be trifled with. Kull wahad!

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I don’t even know why succdems pretend to have another candidate besides Biden. He is them to a t lol

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

The Bernie Gesserit Sisterhood, a distinct and revered sect of Bernie supporters, are not to be trifled with. Kull wahad!

Finally managed to give birth to the Kwisatz Bernierach.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I have seen this and want to spread it around but I have not seen the verification. Are we absolutely sure we got him?

https://twitter.com/LitAnscombe/status/1161770751286009856

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Pembroke Fuse posted:

Finally managed to give birth to the Kwisatz Bernierach.

Thump the floor, ride the Sanderworm.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

It's weird that I can hate people who are, at least in the context of the usual left-right political dichotomy in the US, pretty close to me ideologically, nearly as much as I hate Trump voters. I think it's something like Trump voters I view as being a lot like a natural disaster e.g. a flood or earthquake or something - like reactionaries are just inevitable or something. But people like HoarseWhisperer and for that matter the entire cast of MSNBC, I do view as actual people with actual opinions and I hate them. And to continue the analogy, I suppose I hate them in much the same way that I hate people who skimp on earthquake preparedness and then people die or something, like this poo poo is just deeply irresponsible in much the same way, and really does rise to the level of demanding punishment.

if you didn't identify the democrats as the biggest hurdle to overcome on november 9th, it's a demonstrable truth that you're not paying attention. i remember talking to some well meaning liberals a few years back, and the refrain was always some variant of "BUT WHAT ABOUT THE REPUBLICANS!!?!?!?!?!" yes, they exist. yes, they're cartoonishly evil. yes, they're awful in ways that haven't been discovered yet. congratulations, you've done the analysis that shows that water is in fact wet.

unsurprisingly, the people who recite "don't let perfect be the enemy of good" are unable to comprehend that they are a part of the problem.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

I think it's a pretty massive stretch to call those people "pretty close" to you ideologically, since the world people like that HoarseWhisperer guy desire is closer to the one chuds desire than the one you or I do.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

You should hate them more. They are one of the main reasons you have GOP and GOP-lite as the only political flavors in your country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

she literally sent him a letter thanking him for his help with her campaign