Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Insane Totoro posted:

Yeah that was my fear too.

Oh well that's a lot of 6% grocery store cash back.

It's almost a PS5 fund I got there.
If $488 isn’t enough for a PS5 then Sony hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
So riddle me this, are there often deals on the Amex gift card portal for guns or video games? Maybe non Bonvoy/Hyatt travel?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Oh, huh, does Amex convert to Hyatt as well? I need to figure out a decent redemption for Amex points and it doesn't seem easy.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Residency Evil posted:

Oh, huh, does Amex convert to Hyatt as well? I need to figure out a decent redemption for Amex points and it doesn't seem easy.

MR? Cash out with Schwab with the Schwab plat, or transfer MR to your favorite airline when they run a nice transfer bonus. Or even when they don't!

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

astral posted:

MR? Cash out with Schwab with the Schwab plat, or transfer MR to your favorite airline when they run a nice transfer bonus. Or even when they don't!

Yeah, Schwab plat may be an option when it's time to renew my wife's card. That's at 1.5%?

On the airline front, we're pretty heavy in to American, whereas MR seems to favor Delta.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Residency Evil posted:

Yeah, Schwab plat may be an option when it's time to renew my wife's card. That's at 1.5%?

On the airline front, we're pretty heavy in to American, whereas MR seems to favor Delta.

It's 1.25 cents per point and you can almost certainly do better transferring. Not certain why MR would favor Delta when multiple transfer for all alliances are in the program.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
I've had the CSP for years and after taking a couple trips in the last two years have about 59,000 UR points leftover. This past April I switched all spending to the Chase Freedom Unlimited for the 3x UR points on all purchases for the first 12 months (max 60,000 UR). I plan to shelf the Chase Freedom Unlimited when I hit the max UR points (reduces to 1.5x) or the year is up, whichever comes first.

What's the next card I should consider? The CSR is the obvious choice, but I'm not eligible for the sign up bonus since I already have a CSP. I've thought about the Chase Ink Business Preferred (80k bonus), but I don't actually own a business (I've heard this isn't actually checked?).

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

Residency Evil posted:

MR to ANA is a really good value as well if you're looking to redeem for Japan travel at all.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Nur_Neerg posted:

MR to ANA is a really good value as well if you're looking to redeem for Japan travel at all.

Wasn't looking for Japan in particular. I think Singapore is good too, but all of these seem like a pita to find availability versus just doing Hyatt.

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005

Sock The Great posted:

I've had the CSP for years and after taking a couple trips in the last two years have about 59,000 UR points leftover. This past April I switched all spending to the Chase Freedom Unlimited for the 3x UR points on all purchases for the first 12 months (max 60,000 UR). I plan to shelf the Chase Freedom Unlimited when I hit the max UR points (reduces to 1.5x) or the year is up, whichever comes first.

What's the next card I should consider? The CSR is the obvious choice, but I'm not eligible for the sign up bonus since I already have a CSP. I've thought about the Chase Ink Business Preferred (80k bonus), but I don't actually own a business (I've heard this isn't actually checked?).

Definitely the Ink Preferred if you can handle the 5k spend. Do you walk dogs? Do you sell stuff on eBay? You have a business.

Make sure to use another goon's referral link if you go with that one. 20k from the referrer is nice. I'm happy to provide haha!

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
Create a twitch account and stream your desktop while afk for 30 minutes.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Or use this:

Goon Credit Card random referral page:
:siren:https://goo.gl/aA5mzH:siren:

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

I’m looking to maximize CC rewards after getting my emergency fund and savings plan finally in place.

Current expenses

- Rent (Not paid on CC due to 2.5% charge)
- Savings/TSP/IRA/Medical
- Revolving expenses involving utilities, eating out, uber, gas and groceries, personal travel 6-12 times per year

I currently have an Alaska Card because we live in the PNW and they mainly serve here. Plus their companion fare is well worth the fee. I also have an Amazon card since I already have Prime, 0% fee, shop there often and offers extended warranty, rental car insurance, etc.

Right now I’ve been putting all of my non-Amazon stuff on Alaska due to my love of travel but I’m wondering if there’s a better card out there. I’m not liking the high ($450) yearly fees for ‘top’ Amex cards. Plus I don’t like the idea of having a bunch of credit cards. My credit score is around 750, so I should be okay applying for whatever. Any suggestions?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Wrong thread.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

EconOutlines posted:

I’m looking to maximize CC rewards after getting my emergency fund and savings plan finally in place.

Current expenses

- Rent (Not paid on CC due to 2.5% charge)
- Savings/TSP/IRA/Medical
- Revolving expenses involving utilities, eating out, uber, gas and groceries, personal travel 6-12 times per year

I currently have an Alaska Card because we live in the PNW and they mainly serve here. Plus their companion fare is well worth the fee. I also have an Amazon card since I already have Prime, 0% fee, shop there often and offers extended warranty, rental car insurance, etc.

Right now I’ve been putting all of my non-Amazon stuff on Alaska due to my love of travel but I’m wondering if there’s a better card out there. I’m not liking the high ($450) yearly fees for ‘top’ Amex cards. Plus I don’t like the idea of having a bunch of credit cards. My credit score is around 750, so I should be okay applying for whatever. Any suggestions?

Since it sounds like you're wanting no-AF, a couple of quick suggestions would be the Uber Visa card for 4% back on dining if you eat out a lot + Amex Blue Cash Everyday for 3% back on groceries.

If you don't mind paying an AF, another one you might consider is the Amex Gold that gives 4x back in MR points on both dining and groceries. It also comes with a $10 monthly credit which you can use at "Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth's Chris Steak House, Boxed, and participating Shake Shack locations". Another thing that offsets the $250 annual fee is the yearly $100 airline incidentals credit, though I've heard it may be more difficult or no longer possible to easily cash the airline credit out on airline gift cards these days.

It's good to have a few different credit cards, as long as you are responsible - it helps your credit score, and diversifying across networks protects you from not being able to buy something if a specific bank or network has issues (also from lack of acceptance for one network vs. another).

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
Seconding Uber Visa.

US Bank Cash+ for Utilities and another category of your choice

Ducks Unlimited for Gas

If you shop at Safeway/Albertsons, they have gift cards on Amazon.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Girbot posted:

Seconding Uber Visa.

US Bank Cash+ for Utilities and another category of your choice

Ducks Unlimited for Gas

If you shop at Safeway/Albertsons, they have gift cards on Amazon.

Utilities 5% category with the Cash+ is great, especially now that Plastiq cleared up that cash advance issue with Visa cards. I like to pick Cell Phone for the other 5% category since I don't need to put those charges on a card that instead has cellphone insurance. Another nice new option for 5% category they just added a few months back is "TV, Internet, & Streaming Services".

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Or use this:

Can you add a Drop App tab? Figure a lot of people in this thread would be interested in some extra "cashback" in the form of gift cards.

$5 for referrer/ee

https://b.ewd.io/code?c=cpqiy

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

astral posted:

Utilities 5% category with the Cash+ is great, especially now that Plastiq cleared up that cash advance issue with Visa cards. I like to pick Cell Phone for the other 5% category since I don't need to put those charges on a card that instead has cellphone insurance. Another nice new option for 5% category they just added a few months back is "TV, Internet, & Streaming Services".

I don't mind paying an AF of $450, I just want to see if it'll be worth my while? If I'm going to get at least $450 in benefits that I'd spend anyways, then hell yeah. Especially for lounges/traveling perks.

I didn't know the Uber card was that good, I'll check it out. I was thinking mainly CSR or Amex Platinum.

The main goal is to build up as many miles, or cash back. Looking at YNAB, my biggest expenses are eating out/bars, uber, tickets to events/expos, plane tickets, AirBnb/hotels, then 'real' bills such as cell phone, internet, groceries, gas. Rotating between $1K-2K each month.

Sorry to basically re-ask the question. I'm just wondering what best card to use as my 'primary', even with an AF and some of the others for particulars. Thanks for the suggestions!

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I travel a lot and eat out a lot. I easily get over $1,000 net profit out of the CSR every year between points and airport lounge and restaurant mooching.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

EconOutlines posted:

I don't mind paying an AF of $450, I just want to see if it'll be worth my while? If I'm going to get at least $450 in benefits that I'd spend anyways, then hell yeah. Especially for lounges/traveling perks.

I didn't know the Uber card was that good, I'll check it out. I was thinking mainly CSR or Amex Platinum.

The main goal is to build up as many miles, or cash back. Looking at YNAB, my biggest expenses are eating out/bars, uber, tickets to events/expos, plane tickets, AirBnb/hotels, then 'real' bills such as cell phone, internet, groceries, gas. Rotating between $1K-2K each month.

Sorry to basically re-ask the question. I'm just wondering what best card to use as my 'primary', even with an AF and some of the others for particulars. Thanks for the suggestions!

The next question for frequent or semi-frequent travelers is what economic ecosystem you're in. Do you always fly the same airline? Stay at one brand or umbrella brand of hotel? If so, it may be worth it to use that brand's card or cards as your primary. If not, you're almost certainly better off using CSR/Amex Plat or similar universal card and just transferring points or using their travel portal to book travel.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Which American Express card/offer had the 100K MR sign up bonus? I'm moving across the country and thought I might sign up for it since I want ANA points for a Tokyo flight next year.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

It was Amex Plat, but most of the ones I see for that now are 60k MR.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Girbot posted:

Can you add a Drop App tab? Figure a lot of people in this thread would be interested in some extra "cashback" in the form of gift cards.

$5 for referrer/ee

https://b.ewd.io/code?c=cpqiy

Done

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

EconOutlines posted:

CSR is a good one-size-fits-all travel card, Platinum if you like better lounges or frequently fly Delta.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Chaotic Flame posted:

Which American Express card/offer had the 100K MR sign up bonus? I'm moving across the country and thought I might sign up for it since I want ANA points for a Tokyo flight next year.

You can supposedly call in and get the 100k Biz Plat offer. You can try card match to get the personal 100k.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Or use this:

Everyone should use this because I put my info in there like a year ago and haven't had any free money from goon referrals come through.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Thoguh posted:

Everyone should use this because I put my info in there like a year ago and haven't had any free money from goon referrals come through.

I've made maybe $250, not too bad really.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I've made maybe $250, not too bad really.

Obviously you say it's "random" but all links are yours, you fiend.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
I've added the goon referral page to the OP.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

asur posted:

You can supposedly call in and get the 100k Biz Plat offer. You can try card match to get the personal 100k.

I'll give this a shot. Thanks!

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

VorpalBunny posted:

After being approved for a CSR with a 15k limit and a dozen other cards with stupid high limits, I eventually got the Discover It and they gave me an initial $1000 limit. After a few months of paying it off, I called to increase it. They did, to $1200. So, some cards are just funky that way.

I just had my Discover secured card graduate to unsecured. I deposited $1000 and that was my limit. Now it's... $1500. So I can still only spend $150 per month on this thing if I want to keep my credit score climbing. What should my next move be? It's my only credit account and the account isn't a full year old yet so I feel like even with a score of 762 I'll be denied for just about anything mainstream.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
762 is great! The "excellent" category on Nerdwallet is 720-850. Apply for whatever.

Dont forget that your score is a means to an end. If you don't need credit don't worry about it. If you are going to apply for something big, plan for it and work on it for a little while, like just pay cash and keep the utilization down.

I bet even if you called them and said you wanted a higher limit they would oblige. I personally had a low limit on my Costco Citicard and I was a little offended by it, so eventually I clicked a couple of buttons online and they instantly doubled it.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009

carry on then posted:

So I can still only spend $150 per month on this thing if I want to keep my credit score climbing.

Make an extra payment prior to your statement closing.

carry on then posted:

What should my next move be?

What category do you spend the most in?

No Annual Fees:
Citi Double Cash - Everyday spending (2%)
Ducks Unlimited - Gas/Sporting Goods (5%)
AMEX Blue Cash Everyday - Groceries (3%)
Uber Visa - Dining (4%) / Hotel/AirBnB/Airfare (3%) / Online (2%)
Chase Freedom - Rotating Categories (5%)
US Bank Cash+ - 2 Categories (5%)
Bank of America Cash Rewards - 1 Category (3%)
Amazon Rewards Visa - Amazon.com/Whole Foods (5% - with Prime / 3% without Prime)
Discover IT Cash Back* - Rotating Categories (5% - Matched after first year) *Assuming your Secured Card graduated to the Gas & Restaurant variety which shares the same categories as the Secured IT.

I would start with getting category specific cards like those above, but once you're set there you can look into setting up a high-interest checking/savings account and then you can move on to cards which may not have rewards but instead offer sign-up bonuses with large 0% APR intro periods. Setting up auto-payments for the monthly minimum to draw from this account and just keeping the account above your balance as you spend, essentially treating it as a debit card. Keeping in mind that as you near your APR deadline, the "APY-cashback" from more recent purchases decreases as that cash won't have been sitting in the account as long. You could however, look for a 0% APR/$0-fee Balance Transfer promotion ~45 days prior to this deadline to extend your interest gains on the balance you've accrued minus minimum payments for another year+. But as I said, this is better done later in your credit journey after you've gotten all the rewards cards you've wanted and your credit score isn't something you care about as much apart from lowering your insurance premiums. Later in the game one will have enough lines of credit that the utilization score won't be impacted as hard with a single card increasingly nearing its limit.

Girbot fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Aug 18, 2019

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Apple Card is out now. Sign up process was pretty easy once I unfroze TransUnion and they gave me a pretty hefty limit. Will probably only use it for Apple purchases but that is sadly quite a chunk of money.

Also they added 3% Uber which is pretty good if you don’t have the Uber card already.

gregday
May 23, 2003

A nice thing is that the Apple Card application process is only a soft inquiry until you accept. You get to see your limit and interest rate before you accept, and only after accepting is there a hard pull. I hope more banks follow suit.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

smackfu posted:

Apple Card is out now. Sign up process was pretty easy once I unfroze TransUnion and they gave me a pretty hefty limit. Will probably only use it for Apple purchases but that is sadly quite a chunk of money.

Also they added 3% Uber which is pretty good if you don’t have the Uber card already.

The Uber card is actually only 2% for Uber which is pretty loving lol.

They do have the yearly $50 bonus on "digital purchases" if you spend $5000, which includes UBER so in theory you break even.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

smackfu posted:

Oh that’s cool. Wonder why I didn’t get notification in the Wallet app. It was pretty on point on letting me know things about my card when it was necessary.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Just realized that I bet Apple Card doesn’t have Mint or any other kind of integration.

Yep: https://www.imore.com/apple-card-wont-support-exporting-data-mint-launch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Do you get 5% back on your Amazon Prime subscription when you use the Visa Amazon card? I don't buy that much off Amazon these days but need to keep Prime for the video aspect. I pay month to month because I am not that smart. I would like to cut down the number of cards I am paying each month.